SOS, Recipe, my favorite dish in the Army. - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How 'bout Liberating your favorite Recipe with your Urbbies? GentWoodfield Recipes 8 07-12-2017 05:50 PM

Old 10-21-2018, 01:13 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,342 Times in 1,411 Posts
Default SOS, Recipe, my favorite dish in the Army.

Advertise Here

As I remember we only had SOS on Saturdays. I would give that guy working the chow line a nod and he would ladle a big scoop onto the fried potatoes. With eggs on the side and a dash of hot sauce, I was in heaven. But I never knew exactly how the cooks put SOS together.

One day I was at a gathering and met an old Army cook. I asked him how to make it and he replied, "Do you have a top secret clearance"? My clearance was only secret so I was out of luck.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spade For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2018, 02:14 PM
Survivor

Location: Outside the Moderate Damage Radius, over the mountain and far away.
Thanked 4,926 Times in 1,718 Posts

Recipe varied depending on the service and where you were.

https://www.mclwestchester.org/more/...Recipe-for-SOS

Leatherneck's World-Famous SOS Recipe:

1 1/2 pounds extra lean hamburger or ground chuck
2 tbsp. oleo or butter
1 cup chopped onion
3 tbsp. flour
2 tsp. granulated garlic
2 tbsp. soy sauce (or less to taste)
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 cups milk
salt and pepper to taste
sliced bread

Brown the meat, then drain. Add oleo. Stir in the onions and cook until you can see through them. Add flour, stir and cook two to three minutes. Add garlic, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce and mix thoroughly. Add milk and stir until it thickens. Serve over bread.

Camp Lejeune's SOS Recipe for Manly Men

1 lb. lean hamburger
3 tsp. beef stock powder
3 tbsp. plain flour
tsp. salt
tsp. black pepper
tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 pint whole milk

Brown hamburger. Add beef stock powder, flour, salt, pepper and then cook. Add Worcestershire sauce. Add milk and stir over low heat until thickened. Serve on burnt toast.

Or pick another one you like:

https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum...recipe.265530/

https://warontherocks.com/2015/06/fo...-on-a-shingle/

http://www.seabeecook.com/cookery/co...ooking_sos.htm
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Outpost75 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2018, 05:20 PM
Indefatigable

Thanked 42,277 Times in 13,073 Posts

Natives have their own version of SOS, growing up we used to get these little tins of dried beef in commodities. Hormel is as close as you can come today. Melt up a couple small spoons of bacon fat, add enough flour to make a paste, pour in a can of evaporated milk and add the beef. Cook it up slow until it's thick, pour some into a cup and dunk leftover fry bread in it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2018, 05:31 PM
Midwest Born

Interesting thread. The recipe immediately above is what I knew as SOS. The earlier post would have been hamburger gravy, which we had quite often in the winter time. Mom always looked for recipes that used less than half a pound of ground beef to be thrifty, even when we had a quarter beef in the freezer. It was just the way it was.

Our hamburger gravy was served over a mound of mashed potatoes and the chipped beef was over toast.

Gray was a staple in my home finding it's way as an entree over toast and macaroni as well as fried, mashed or boiled potatoes. I loved it as a child it wasn't until I was an adult that mom told me it was because we didnt have alot of money and gravy was a way to get a third day our of the meat entree that we had Sunday after church.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toyboy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2018, 06:56 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 55,720 Times in 19,358 Posts

Back at 29 Palms Marine base they had an alternate version.

For several days after they served spaghetti for dinner they reheated leftover meat sauce to pour over breakfast toast.

It's a good use of leftover spaghetti meat sauce and was actually more popular than spaghetti night dinner. There were required to make enough in case the entire based showed up for dinner, but it ended up being fast food night for most of the men because the plain pasta itself was pretty nasty and overcooked sitting in the steam table all that time. So they ended up stuck with all that pasta and meat sauce. I have no clue what they did with the leftover pasta but the cooks knew they could recycle the meat sauce for breakfast to pour over toast for the next few days. Reheating the cold sauce made it even thicker and like most tomato dishes more flavorful the next day.

Eggs, potatoes, and toast all smothered in thick Italian meat sauce is a heck of tasty and hearty breakfast.

Like everyone, I always end up cooking too much pasta sauce anyway at home, so it's not like I have to worry about making something special for a weekend breakfast. I just grab a pouch of leftover sauce out of the freezer.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2018, 07:26 PM
AimSmallMissSmall

Thanked 1,745 Times in 560 Posts

faster for us....1/2lb "hot" ground sausage.(Owens)..4tbls butter....2.5 tbls flour....2-4 cups milk

1...brown sausage

2...add butter

3...after butter melts add flour..and brown

4..add milk....salt and pepper to taste

5....serve on hot bisquits
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rustednail For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2018, 03:39 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,889 Posts

"Real" SOS is Creamed Chipped Beef. Mine is any kind of leftover meat, gravy. Guess I shoud've been at 29 Palms in another life as one of my all time favorites for any meal is tomato sauce on anything I care to eat.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to steve marshall For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2018, 05:27 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,877 Times in 2,151 Posts

Dried beef, formed slices stuffed in a jar, is pretty spendy nowadays. About a buck an ounce.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dmas For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2018, 05:49 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,518 Times in 1,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve marshall View Post
"Real" SOS is Creamed Chipped Beef. Mine is any kind of leftover meat, gravy. Guess I shoud've been at 29 Palms in another life as one of my all time favorites for any meal is tomato sauce on anything I care to eat.
Guess I'm not the only one.I always assumed SOS was creamed chipped beef.Always used those packets of meat by "Carl Budding",they had a variety of flavors of meat.
The Following User Says Thank You to cook For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2018, 12:41 PM
Survivor

Location: Outside the Moderate Damage Radius, over the mountain and far away.
Thanked 4,926 Times in 1,718 Posts

I was told that chipped beef was common in military rations pre-refrigeration and that the creamed beef recipe dated from the Spanish-American War era. Chipped beef and cream gravy made with tinned evaporated milk and flour was the norm. Sausage or ground beef began to be used during WW1 as long as the fresh meat lasted under the primitive refrigeration available at the time.

Frozen food became available in the 1930s and fresh meat could be stored on long voyages. The use of chipped beef aboard ship became a concession to nostalgia for the old salts who remembered it, but it remained in use on overseas posts where locally grown meat was inadequate or not up to quality standard.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Outpost75 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2018, 01:02 PM
Survivor

Thanked 21,922 Times in 6,963 Posts

The chow hall at my duty station was sub par, in every way...

NEVER had ham for omelettes. We usually had some diced up polish sausage, though. Sadly, it was the wrong sausage for a breakfast.

NEVER had SOS, though we did get sausage gravy pretty regularly.

Had Pork Adobo about once a week. We called it Pork Adobe, it was way too thick...and NOT flavored like any Pork Adobo I ever had.

We had guys go on sick call, just to go to the air base and eat there, it was THAT bad.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2018, 03:57 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,877 Times in 2,151 Posts

I love sliced pan fried polish sausage with fried potatoes and eggs for breakfast.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:13 PM
Survivor

Thanked 23,641 Times in 9,209 Posts

My Mom always made it with chipped beef and served it over toast. We have some sort of packaged sliced beef in the fridge that we will be cooking up in the near future as SOS.

My wife's Mother also made the same thing without the beef but with hard boiled eggs and called it goldenrod eggs, both are very tasty.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:21 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,719 Times in 975 Posts

SOS was my favorite in the Army, too. I always thought it could be ground beef or ground sausage or both depending on what was available. Man, that was good stuff!
Old 10-23-2018, 08:46 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Dried beef (jerky, biltong, machaca) are all good for this.

Just soak long enough to rehydrate and use any leftover soak water to mix in with the canned milk.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following User Says Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2018, 08:51 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,361 Times in 2,689 Posts

After 22 years in the army and more deployments than I care to remember, I can tell you SOS was never my favorite breakfast. But every soldier knows you never pass up a hot breakfast, and I ate every bit of it when I had no other choice. I am getting some positive nostalgia reading this post, but I leave those of you who love the stuff to your recipes! Enjoy!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alaskajohn For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2018, 02:43 PM
Survivor

Thanked 14,881 Times in 3,741 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo View Post
Natives have their own version of SOS, growing up we used to get these little tins of dried beef in commodities. Hormel is as close as you can come today. Melt up a couple small spoons of bacon fat, add enough flour to make a paste, pour in a can of evaporated milk and add the beef. Cook it up slow until it's thick, pour some into a cup and dunk leftover fry bread in it.
My Dad spent some time as a cook in the Army and this is pretty much what we had as SOS growing up. Chipped beef with white gravy on toast, it was a treat. Growing up on a farm it was cheaper to have raised beef or chicken than it was anything store bought.
Old 10-26-2018, 06:49 AM
Prepared

Ground beef. I still remember waiting for the command, Eat.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S Roche For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2018, 04:56 PM
Survivor

Thanked 28,852 Times in 7,539 Posts

I'm gonna make me some. Wasn't in the military, but my Mom used to make it all the time (think my Dad gave her the recipe). I think the last time I had this was when I was a teen..
The Following User Says Thank You to Pitbull_Dallas For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2018, 08:07 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Roche View Post
Ground beef. I still remember waiting for the command, Eat.
And when I'm done eating the whole platoon is done eating.

The then drill instructor sat down with just a cup of coffee while 60 odd recruits tried to shovel down 3000 calories in about 10 minutes.

I was too busy shoveling but that had to have been hilarious to watch.