anybody have parents or grandparents that lived thru the depression? - Page 8 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Manmade and Natural Disasters Drought, Diseases, Earthquakes, Riots, Wars

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Remembering the generation that remembered the Great Depression zooeyhll General Discussion 30 05-08-2018 10:50 AM
What would happen if there was another Great Depression? zooeyhll General Discussion 109 03-31-2018 12:50 AM
DACA parents and slaveholders Medieval Man General Discussion 10 09-10-2017 12:21 AM
Parents fearing deportation pick guardians for U.S. children Mr. Sockpuppet General Discussion 99 03-12-2017 09:52 PM

Old 10-20-2019, 06:00 PM

Advertise Here

My parents and Grand parents a;; went through the GD. My Dad's family had it the hardest. They worked in a cotton mill and lived in mill houses. But they had a cow and a big garden. Every year they bought a piglet, fed it "slop" and killed it in the fall. My Grandfather was out of work for only three months. But times were hard.

My Mother's family had it much easier. My Grandfather was a builder and was never out of work. His business had a very good reputation. I still have one of my Mother's ration stamp books from WWII.

Times were hard for every one. But having food and a roof over your head made things easier. We must learn from history.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Profreed For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2019, 11:04 PM

My Mother's parents walked from Nashville Tn to Long Beach Ms in 1932. Mom was a baby and rode in a wagon they pulled. They walked to the coast because they could fish and crab to get something to eat. Granny was from the coast so they would also have family to help them. That journey was over 300 miles.

I asked what they did at night. She of course did not remember but was told that people would take them in for the night.

My Grandma was a tough little Indian (Cherokee) Woman.

Jump
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Forum Watcher For This Useful Post: