What brand of bag do you have for ghb/bob? - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is the best military surplus sleeping bag? kev Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 25 03-27-2018 03:40 PM
Trash Bag As Emergency Sleeping Bag AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 4 03-17-2018 11:35 PM
Bivy + condensation + down bag = ? Cephalotus Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 20 03-02-2018 02:37 AM
Keeping your feet warm? Red Dirt Walker Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 90 11-27-2017 05:35 AM
Need some guidance on sleeping bags. SingleMomPrepper Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 35 09-04-2017 02:21 PM

Old 07-03-2018, 10:21 AM
Cat and parrot whisperer

Thanked 1,913 Times in 755 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiker72 View Post
I've been wanting to get the 10 myself.

We just got a new 5.11 store right across from where I work so I will likely be heading over there one day soon to get it.
Yeah, I think you'll like it. Seems very durable and well made. I've used those bags at varying times over the past two years lugging my laptop and other various things back and forth across the city from home to office. They've held up well. I think the Eberlestock bag is even heavier constructed, but then, I paid a heck of a lot more for that one.
Old 07-07-2018, 02:49 PM
Black Powder Survivalist

Thanked 6,156 Times in 3,024 Posts

I changed the set up of my GHB & BOB.

I now use a small US Army Vietnam War era duffel bag as my GHB & an American Eagle double layer, double stitched large beige messenger style bag as my main BOB. The Roots Canada pack that I used to use as my BOB did not hold up during my 2 week excursion to the BOL (zippers failed & the stitching was not strong enough).
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hagalaz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2018, 10:40 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndMechanic View Post
I've been looking at the maxpedition lately and I really like them so far. I have a local distributor that I'm going to go check prices at soon.
I have been carrying the maxpedition jumbo versipack daily for 5 years. I love it
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to toyboy For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2018, 03:06 PM
EdgeCrusher

My Vehicle bag: Rush 24

Wife's Vehicle: Standard school style backpack

Airline Travel (checked in luggage): Outdoor products lumbar pack

House BOB: Jansport external frame pack

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JabbaNoBother For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 03:02 AM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyboy View Post
I have been carrying the maxpedition jumbo versipack daily for 5 years. I love it
I really like mine. Got it for day hikes originally.

Then I purposed it for my girlfriends GHB, but she switched to a Northface pack we had.

Right now it's not being used for anything in particular though.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hiker72 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 04:23 PM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Thanked 62,599 Times in 8,963 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

I got away from the dedicated named bag system a long time ago. I am using a modular grab & go system now where the basics are in several base bags, with other kits that can be tossed in, attached, or simply grabbed at the same time to cover many different situations.

The modular system makes it easy to rotate consumables, take what is needed without taking a bunch more, reducing unneeded duplication while maintaining necessary redundancy.

The modular system uses some back-packs; other bags; some totes; some MTM ammunition cans; some ditty bags; some zipper pouches; some Zip-lock bags; 3-, 4-, & 5-gallon buckets; and some specialized carry gear.

Two of my base bags are Kifaru packs. A 1,000ci E&E and a 2,500ci Marauder. Military for sure, but I simply use a non-descript, plain Jane pack cover. Makes either one (or both, since the E&E can piggy-back on the Marauder) look like a down-and-out best-I-can-do thrown-together make-do pack. Especially when I am dressed as a homeless person.

Another bag is a nylon single strap 'healthy' bag. Carried cross shoulder, it will handle necessities, looks innocuous, and I can carry it with other things.

The use of a pack cover can turn just about anything into a low-profile, semi-gray-man item. Not to mention it keeps most of the rain off, and can be used to cover or hide things carried with or without a pack. A garbage bag with paracord straps, full of what you could grab before having to evacuate, will be less vulnerable and look much better if it is covered with a plain pack rain cover.

Pretty much does not matter what the actual pack looks like. It can be made to look just about any way you want using a pack cover and some imagination.

Just my opinion.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:43 PM
Shotgunner

Thanked 1,010 Times in 454 Posts

I've been eyeing the maxpedition fat man and jumbo versicarry. The way I see it for my ghb, itll be a bit more reckless on my travels. Itd get me home so I can bug in. I'd have the highest risk of running into a bad guy or needing equipment and a sling pack will supply that ease of access better than a typical backpack would
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Debx36 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 09:31 PM

Camelbak BFM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Armtx77 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2018, 11:31 PM
Prepared

LA Police Gear packs are well made and affordable. I have 3 of them for different purposes and I will buy another one from them when the time comes. I have 2 operator packs and I think the other is a 3 day pack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3I38cGFcxc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khy0CKhwZRA

Last edited by sabrecrash; 07-12-2018 at 11:35 PM.. Reason: added links
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sabrecrash For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2018, 01:45 AM
King of Canada

Thanked 9,042 Times in 3,120 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debx36 View Post
I've been eyeing the maxpedition fat man and jumbo versicarry. The way I see it for my ghb, itll be a bit more reckless on my travels. Itd get me home so I can bug in. I'd have the highest risk of running into a bad guy or needing equipment and a sling pack will supply that ease of access better than a typical backpack would
I have two Maxpedition Jumbo Versipacks. Awesome little bags.

Just dont bring it to work, if you work in a mine. The zippers will last a year or so.

Other than that, should last a long time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HeavyHauler For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2018, 04:10 AM

I don't have a BOB, I have an INCH bag. A MOLE 2 ACU three day assault pack attached to the MOLLE rucksak. Its pretty damn heavy hence why I'm getting a deer cart to put it and other supplies on since it won't just be me.

The cart will be a fold up model so it can be easily hidden and I can burry\hide everything else if I need to.

There's a lot of misconceptions when it comes to an INCH bag, too many armchair preppers think they can live out of one. Nope. Sorry. You won't be able to unless you care carrying one hell of a heavy pack and will be massively slowed down.

Unlike a BOB, the whole point of my get up is to get some where safe, hide and wait for the worst to pass over. The cart lets us be more mobile.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rose_adn_Raven For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2018, 09:53 AM
Hiker

Thanked 1,067 Times in 354 Posts

mine is the 5.11 Rush 12 bag with options for other 5.11 6" molle pouch, Propper med kit pouch with another of the same holding my monocular.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kayakjohn For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2018, 11:26 AM
Prepared

I picked up a Fieldline Motorcycle Accessories bag at a secondhand shop for 5 bucks yesterday and it retails for around 60 and us well made. It's in great condition and cans be toted as a duffle or worn as a backpack and it is very comfortable. Winning!
The Following User Says Thank You to IndMechanic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2018, 12:14 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,350 Times in 1,531 Posts

This is also very good as a combat medic bag.
68W
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	71xixRNIdHL_1531671060526._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	275534  
Old 07-17-2018, 12:35 AM

I have a 5:11 Rush 72 for my BOB, a 5:11 Rush 24 for my GHB. I use the 5:11 strap system to attach extra smaller packs to each of these in case of evacuation.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Savage Voyageur For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2018, 04:51 AM
Never Give Up

Some off-brand normal looking backpack that I've had for years. Unthreatening and like what a lot of people carry around on a daily basis.
Old 07-28-2018, 02:45 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,350 Times in 1,531 Posts

Lightwieght & perfect for bike riding. Several brands have this style. Also excellent as a field medic bag around youe webbing. 68W
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	71xixRNIdHL_1532803352526._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	275984  
Old 07-29-2018, 02:36 AM
Hunter

yup the camping mentality applied to prepping sure does get a person killed..

you will not know the condition of all roads within the 1st 20-50 miles of your city/town/hamlet limits..

and I know alot of people over estimate the distance they will be required to travel because you have no clue in how many detours you will be requiring to make on the route home..

If you are prescribing yourself to a 54 mile walk home that distance can end up 162+ miles of travel depending on how many detours you need to take on the route home as you have no clue if the route you have made is even going to be a passable event in the disaster

it is nice to take stock of what you can do when the times are good though when the times are extremely bad you may not be walking within a straight line and you may have a degree of back tracking to find a safe route..

At best I can see 54 mile trek might take 5-7 days to complete and this is the reality you need to face and 3 days worth of supplies will end up getting you killed because you are walking into the unknown and have very little clue to whether or not your prescribing route is passable?? and this is a fact of life you need to face sooner or later..

Reality we are all keyboard warriors we can make all the claims of what we will do however until we are all facing the situation in question we all talk BS and that is a fact of life..

Realize what your own capacity is rather than talk BS because you will fail all the time and that is a known fact whether you admit it or not...

I already realize the factoid with access to a motor vehicle 72 hours nets me the east coast of my country, 3-6 month's i might hit the place of my birth in riding a push bike or walking, by motor vehicle this is roughly 3-3.5 hours drive..
The Following User Says Thank You to Redlineshooter For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrecrash View Post
LA Police Gear packs are well made and affordable. I have 3 of them for different purposes and I will buy another one from them when the time comes. I have 2 operator packs and I think the other is a 3 day pack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3I38cGFcxc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khy0CKhwZRA
I second Sabrecrash. I recently bought a couple of the LAPG 3-Day Backpack 2.0. Great value. Will cost about $39.99 - $49.00. It doesn't have the YKK zippers, etc that bags costing 3X+ may have but very well built, good capacity. I wish that it didn't have so much MOLLE on the outside to make it look "military". May not be "the best available" but certainly "excellent".

If you are looking for a hard use, "going camping/hiking" backpack that you are going to use all the time, by all means it may be worth your while to spend a lot more for a little more comfort, durability, and weight savings (this pack weights about 3 lbs empty).

Certainly for a BOB/GHB that's going to sit around nearly all the time and use (hopefully never), this bag is hard to beat. Check online reviews for this bag they are very positive.
Old 08-03-2018, 03:33 PM
Prepared

Thanked 18,477 Times in 8,483 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
I know this is not what you've asked for, but I don't subscribe to the grey man thing.

In a post event scenario, I'll be open carrying like others mentioned here and if I'm required to be out and about I'll be serious about using gear that can work for me. These two bags mate as a pair to create a system that includes a waist pack as the third element of a full load out. Hope I never have to use this system, but it'll work if called upon.

EDC: Tactical Tailor assault pack that's no longer in production (like Dragon's Egg)
GHB: G4Free tactical waist pack
BOB: ILBE in marpat
I bet very few women or elderly will open carry, almost no children, and probably not even most men. You will stand out like a militant and people will avoid you, be less likely to do business or trade (long-term TSHTF), you will invite unwanted attention, and maybe some moron would risk taking a potshot to get your arms.

I would say that something screaming mil-spec is fine for taking to the range, hunting, and so on. But I have numerous bags (including Duluth Pack, Jansport, North Face, etc.) and would pick the one best suited for the occasion.