What brand of bag do you have for ghb/bob? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is the best military surplus sleeping bag? kev Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 25 03-27-2018 03:40 PM
Trash Bag As Emergency Sleeping Bag AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 4 03-17-2018 11:35 PM
Bivy + condensation + down bag = ? Cephalotus Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 20 03-02-2018 02:37 AM
Keeping your feet warm? Red Dirt Walker Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 90 11-27-2017 05:35 AM
Need some guidance on sleeping bags. SingleMomPrepper Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 35 09-04-2017 02:21 PM

Old 06-21-2018, 11:42 PM
Prepared

Default What brand of bag do you have for ghb/bob?

Advertise Here

I'm looking for ideas on upgrading my GHB and I'm curious what is out there. I have a budget of around 80 bucks for one and I am looking for a good sturdy yet obscure type. I don't want one that screams "I'm full of goodies" basically, but I still need it to get the job done. Of course comfort depends on what and how much I put into it I know.

Here is a Swiss gear bag on swissgear website that I have been eye balling
https://www.swissgear.com/backpacks/...aptop-backpack
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to IndMechanic For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2018, 11:45 PM
Sam Adams was right....

Thanked 17,765 Times in 5,262 Posts

Daypack/GHB = Drago Tracker

BOB = Eberlestock Phantom
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steverino For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2018, 11:47 PM
Survivor

Thanked 23,410 Times in 5,809 Posts

If you are a disciple of the "gray man" doctrine Swiss Gear is good kit. I have one; it's really my 2nd. The first was stolen from my pickup. It is solid and has gone to Europe, Central and South America with me. I can carry quite a bit if need be and still keep a low profile.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AZ_HighCountry For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2018, 11:55 PM
Nail Bender

My GHB is a Onetigris 2 liter lumbar pack, 1/2 your budget, well made.
It's Molle, but in black and being small it doesn't really scream tactical, looks like a camera bag more or less.
Old 06-22-2018, 06:19 AM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndMechanic View Post
I'm looking for ideas on upgrading my GHB and I'm curious what is out there. I have a budget of around 80 bucks for one and I am looking for a good sturdy yet obscure type. I don't want one that screams "I'm full of goodies" basically, but I still need it to get the job done. Of course comfort depends on what and how much I put into it I know.

Here is a Swiss gear bag on swissgear website that I have been eye balling
https://www.swissgear.com/backpacks/...aptop-backpack
Well not really what you are looking for, but I use a 5.11 RUSH 12 as my GHB. Built like a tank and comfortable. If I'm using this though, that basically means something extremely serious has happened. At that point I'm honestly not concerned what my pack does or doesn't look like - people will try to take a My Little Pony backpack if they think you have something in it they need/want.

https://www.amazon.com/5-11-RUSH12-T...+rush+12&psc=1
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Hiker72 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2018, 05:36 PM
Survivor

Thanked 23,410 Times in 5,809 Posts

The problem with the Rush 12 is it screams .mil and that may get you unwanted attention.

Unless you go with it in black, it's best to try and maintain the "gray man" look as much as possible.

In a true SHTF situation, I am likely to be openly carrying, not a pistol, and moving slow and concealed as much as possible. If I am just trying to get home, then low profile is the ticket for me.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AZ_HighCountry For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2018, 05:59 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,213 Times in 642 Posts

Around here it's totally different. That Swissgear shouts out it has a $1000 laptop in it, probably an iPad too.

But nobody looks twice if you're carrying a $40 knock-off/miltec assault backpack, since it will probably contain dirty gym clothes and water bottle.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to KLF For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2018, 06:04 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 66,655 Times in 20,429 Posts

Mil-tec
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 06-22-2018, 06:14 PM
Survivor

Location: Outside the Moderate Damage Radius, over the mountain and far away.
Thanked 4,918 Times in 1,716 Posts

+1 on the Swissgear ruck, but my older version was stolen in Spain in the 1980s.
Good pack, but shouts "tourist with good stuff to steal" when traveling abroad.

These days like to avoid gear which screams either "rich tourist," "police" or "military" and like a generic ruck, my current ruck is a Gen3 from CountyComm, which has been replaced by this one:

https://countycomm.com/collections/b...-maratac-rev-4

The versatility of the pass through vertical front zipper allows for easy entry into the bottom of the bag even when stuffed with all your gear. The 2 side zipper pouches allow easy access to smaller commonly used items like your phone, wallet, first aid & keys.
There are two inner pockets (one is covered with a see through mesh for easy visibility with an orange key tether).

Versatile Top and pass-through side entry zipper
2 x Exterior side pockets
4 x Metal D Rings Inside
Protective rubber bottom
Handle strap on top and side front
Adjustable shoulder straps
Dimensions (HxWxD): 17.8 x8.2x8.2 "
Capacity: 1200 cu.in.
Weight: 1 lb. 11 oz.
Interior: : cotton / polyester mix

My published review from last year on their web site. I have no commercial interest in this vendor other than being a long-term, satisfied former government, and now retired civilian customer:

Outpost75 - 04/04/2017 - Does not look "military" or scream "cop"

This small ruck is the perfect size for a Get Home Bag and that's what I use mine for.

Based on the planning standard of 10 kgs maximum for up to 7 days if I must leave my vehicle and walk home, maintaining mobility, food, fire, shelter, comms, nav, health and medical as well as personal protection. Its non-military appearance blends in with the urban commuter environment or as an airline carry on so you can remain The Gray Man instead of Tactical Walter Mitty.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CountyCommRuck.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	274490  
Old 06-22-2018, 07:07 PM
SBs Resident Non Prepper

Thanked 8,527 Times in 3,298 Posts

My everyday carry is a SwissGear backpack.
Rugged....comfortable....plenty of space

I would never carry a bag that looks anything military
Old 06-22-2018, 07:52 PM
Target Shooter

54 mile/3 day get home hike? Highly suggest a technical hiking pack with frame and weight bearing hip-belt to transfer the load off your shoulders and onto the hips - 1 inch webbing 'belts' won't cut it, nor short packs where the belt rides on your stomach when the shoulders are adjusted properly.

I like the Deuter ACT 24 (or 30) since the belt tucks away for EDC use. These guys run great sales on big holidays - $76 last Xmas and Memorial Day, and currently has 20% off coupon for $96.

https://www.backcountry.com/deuter-a...pack-1450cu-in
The Following User Says Thank You to reppans For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2018, 07:58 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_HighCountry View Post
The problem with the Rush 12 is it screams .mil and that may get you unwanted attention.

Unless you go with it in black, it's best to try and maintain the "gray man" look as much as possible.

In a true SHTF situation, I am likely to be openly carrying, not a pistol, and moving slow and concealed as much as possible. If I am just trying to get home, then low profile is the ticket for me.

Yeah the whole gray man thing...like I said I would only be using this pack in a extreme situation, like you say a true SHTF situation. I want something that is going to be able to hold up to those demands as I will be likely going from a heavy urban area into rural areas, like the OP I have about a 60 mile commute one way. I know the RUSH 12 can hold up. I know there will be people trying to take whatever I have no matter what it looks like.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hiker72 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2018, 08:30 PM
Old Reformed Rogue

Thanked 1,334 Times in 546 Posts

My favorite, Red Rock Rover Sling Bag.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Damascus7 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2018, 08:53 PM
Third World'er Lunatic

Thanked 34,348 Times in 11,462 Posts

one I take to work is, a Magnetic Tank (expandable) Bag made for Triumph Motorcycles by Triumph.
1. its got a handle
2. hookups for straps, single or double
3.magnets are strong. had it stuck to the tank on my old monster at over a ton no slippage
4. completely waterproof
if im out in the field working on a tractor, I stick it to the side of the engine cowl. everything stays right with me better, and no one looks twice at a tank bag........

I still have a 2" expandable section to unzip if needed, plus pouch location everywhere.
excuse all the sharpies, i use em a lot at work. Revolver and holster on top, everything else second section.......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1804.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	274926   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1805.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	274928   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1806.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	274930  
Old 06-22-2018, 09:23 PM
Survivor

Thanked 15,226 Times in 3,773 Posts

My actual GHB... the one kept in my vehicle 365 days a year, is nothing more than a frameless dark brown Cordura Jansport daypack. The type that gets used by students for hauling books & computers around campus. I've owned it since around 2005. It was sitting unused in a closet and I decided to assign it to vehicle GHB duty about six years ago. Wanted something non-tactical looking and in earth tone colors to match likely worn clothing.

Nearly identical in layout to this one:

https://www.jansport.com/shop/en/jan...2&beginIndex=0

A fully loaded 28.5 lbs w/ water. Its color closely matches some darker coyote, brown, & earth tone clothing items either stored inside of that GHB or kept in an accompanying small gym bag inside the vehicle. Goretex parka, Primaloft puffy jacket, cargo pants, watch cap, gloves, gaiters, fleece sweater, boots, etc.

It's for one thing. Walking home within 1-3 days. 30ish miles maximum. Probably a lot less. I have a sleeping bag, bivy, pad, and compression carrier also in the vehicle. That assembly can be attached to the daypack exterior during wintertime.

Weighs about 1.5 lbs empty, 34 liters capacity; ~$50.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Astronomy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2018, 09:35 PM
Prepared

Thanks for the info and advice guys I'm giving serious consideration towards all the suggestions. I'm in no real rush atm to go out and buy a bag so it helps to consider my options for a lasting purchase. Thank you all!
Old 06-22-2018, 09:37 PM
Biologist

Thanked 1,224 Times in 613 Posts

There are tons of great brands out there, however, I've always been a huge fan of BlackHawk products. I like their designs as well as their build quality, everything I've ever purchased from them has been top notch.
Old 06-24-2018, 05:45 PM

LL Bean Continental Day Pack, in Black. Inexpensive, great quality , lots of outside storage options, very civilian looking , comfortable to carry, and easy to pack due to its rectangular configuration. I’d say it is a bit over 2,000 cu. in. Of storage.
Old 06-25-2018, 04:10 PM
Just One More Gun

Mine is currently held in a Wal-Mart back to school special that I've had since high school. It's a school backpack, and since im a college age guy, it stays "Gray man."

That being said, im about to switch it over to my Red Rock Outdoor Assault Pack. $54.99 shipped from cabela's.

30L capacity, four pockets (plus a pocket on the outside against your backbthat is technically for a 2L camelpack, but also fits a body armor plate.). MOLLE gear and Velcro attachments., heavy duty water resistant zippers, chest and waist straps. Comes in black, gray and brown/green.

I have the gray one, and currently have my Search and Rescue rope gear in it for a total weight of 15lbs. It's a small enough backpack that it doesn't draw attention, despite it's slightly "tacticool" look. Also very comfortable to carry.

http://redrockoutdoorgear.com/assault-pack/
Old 06-25-2018, 04:23 PM
Is a great cartridge.

Thanked 5,386 Times in 1,671 Posts

.................What brand of bag do you have for ghb/bob? ..................

Alaska Range Brand.........."Sheep Hunter Model"