Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Replacement prod for Barnett commando Mark.R Primitive Weapons, Bows and Crossbows 3 09-23-2013 01:38 PM
WTB Barnett Commando Crossbow trentu Looking for - want to buy 4 08-30-2012 12:07 AM
Barnett commando crossbow?? anybody got one? Spooky Primitive Weapons, Bows and Crossbows 26 08-13-2012 09:51 AM
Are you a gunstore commando? Bolshevik Firearms General Discussion 89 08-29-2011 10:17 PM
Commando, anyone? imua-06 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 42 03-19-2010 04:05 PM
You might be a keyboard commando if....... ZRFruxpin Firearms General Discussion 19 02-26-2010 08:00 AM
What is the best commando wire saw Survival Man Knives, Swords & Axes 25 10-04-2008 10:45 AM
55yr old Commando Yorkshire Boy Books, Movies & Stories 14 05-26-2008 11:46 PM
Deneyz Reitz Boer Commando arrexian Books, Movies & Stories 5 04-10-2008 01:35 PM

Old 09-30-2019, 03:28 PM
Survivor

Location: Outside the Moderate Damage Radius, over the mountain and far away.
Thanked 4,923 Times in 1,717 Posts

Advertise Here

While we are on the subject of old school field craft, don't forget vinegar in your preps!

It can be used for preserving food, as a condiment or salad dressing, medicinally, as a disinfectant, and as a cleaner.

White vinegar will store almost indefinitely if tightly sealed in a glass or plastic bottle with a plastic lid. The acid it contains destroys enamel-coated metal caps over time. White vinegar works well for pickling and most other uses.

Apple cider vinegar is fermented from hard cider and will occasionally form a cloudy substance which is not harmful and can be filtered out prior to use or consumed. The cloudy substance is Mother of Vinegar and can be used to make more vinegar. If it starts to smell bad, throw it away. If you are using it for any type of medical purpose, make sure you get real apple cider vinegar and not any imitation.

For Arthritis, take 2 spoonfuls of apple cider vinegar and honey in a glass of water several times daily.

Sunburn: apply ice cold vinegar right away for fast relief.

Add a spoonful to cooking water to make cauliflower white and clean.

Storing cheese: keep it fresh longer by wrapping it in a vinegar-soaked cloth and keeping it in a sealed container.

Rinse glasses and dishes in water and vinegar to remove spots and film.

To eliminate mildew, dust and odors, wipe down tent, camper or hooch walls with a vinegar-soaked cloth.

Clean windows with vinegar and water.

Clean breadboxes and food containers with vinegar-dampened cloth to keep fresh smelling and clean.

Vinegar is an excellent all-purpose cleaner: vinegar mixed with salt. Cleans copper, bronze, brass, dishes, pots, pans, skillets, glasses, windows. Rinse well.

Apple cider vinegar and honey is a folk cure-all to prevent apathy, obesity, hay fever, asthma, rashes, food poisoning, heartburn, sore throat, bad eyesight, dandruff, brittle nails and bad breath.

To remove lime coating on your tea kettle; add vinegar to the water and let stand overnight.

Clean jars with vinegar and water to remove odor.

Preserve peppers: put freshly picked peppers in a sterilized jar and finish filling with vinegar.

Freshen vegetables. Soak wilted vegetables in 2 cups of water and a tablespoon of vinegar.

Marinating meat in vinegar kills bacteria and tenderizes the meat. Use one-quarter cup vinegar for a two to three pound roast, marinate overnight, then cook without draining or rinsing the meat. Add herbs to the vinegar when marinating as desired.

Vinegar is GREAT for personal hygiene in the field and has been used for this since the days of the Roman legions! A small amount of water and vinegar kills body odor and conserves water if scarce.

Best is to dilute vinegar with an equal volume of water, if available. Heat over your cook fire or on the exhaust manifold of your vehicle to a steamy, comfortable washing temperature. First use it to brush your teeth, then wash and rinse your mess gear and hang them up to dry. Pour the remaining hot vinegar water into an ammunition can or bucket and use it to wash your face, shave, sponge bath feet, armpits and crotch, then wash and wring out yesterday’s socks and underwear.

Dry yourself, change into clean socks, underwear and finish dressing, rolling the rinsed and wrung out socks and underwear in your towel, to stash in your pack if resuming the march. Shake out and hang in the sun during halts. Finish drying near the fire while prepping the evening mess.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Outpost75 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2019, 09:56 PM
Perspective provider.

Thanked 5,715 Times in 2,594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iyaayas View Post
Lol.

You don't need an igniter.

It burns just fine but can explode if you add pressure. Don't try stamping out your c4 fires.
*coughs* Mythbusters did one on this, didn't explode. It's designed to be stable and not go off in an accident or something like that.
Old 10-01-2019, 04:26 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 18,783 Times in 6,175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_Rafe View Post
*coughs* Mythbusters did one on this, didn't explode. It's designed to be stable and not go off in an accident or something like that.
That's nice

I was a certified weapons inspector and an EOD team member.

I used things like C4 on a daily basis.

By all means go with the information you got from mythbusters.

C4 requires two things. An ignition source AND sufficient pressure.

Fire is a sufficient ignition source. Add pressure and I 100% guarantee you a det.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2019, 05:00 AM
Hiker

Thanked 1,287 Times in 492 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rett View Post
Olive oil fixes erectile dysfunction. Not that I know anything at all about the issue.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-a8513936.html
Baby oil and redheads work for me.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sorry-no-clues For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2019, 11:54 AM
Perspective provider.

Thanked 5,715 Times in 2,594 Posts

Quote:
That's nice

I was a certified weapons inspector and an EOD team member.

I used things like C4 on a daily basis.

By all means go with the information you got from mythbusters.

C4 requires two things. An ignition source AND sufficient pressure.

Fire is a sufficient ignition source. Add pressure and I 100% guarantee you a det.
Sure. but you can't generate enough pressure with your foot though. Even a shoesole cushions more than enough, even if you could create the pressure in your body. They shot bullets and incendiary rounds at it, while burning, and it didn't explode. Your foot stomping down on it won't make it explode either.

The whole point was to create a safer explosive, which wouldn't detonate if dropped or shot or in an accident in transport, or anything like that. They did a great job at that. (not sure how correct wikipedia is on this, but supposedly, only a shockwave can detonate it)
The Following User Says Thank You to IC_Rafe For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2019, 07:03 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 18,783 Times in 6,175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_Rafe View Post
Sure. but you can't generate enough pressure with your foot though. Even a shoesole cushions more than enough, even if you could create the pressure in your body. They shot bullets and incendiary rounds at it, while burning, and it didn't explode. Your foot stomping down on it won't make it explode either.

The whole point was to create a safer explosive, which wouldn't detonate if dropped or shot or in an accident in transport, or anything like that. They did a great job at that. (not sure how correct wikipedia is on this, but supposedly, only a shockwave can detonate it)
Ok I gotta step back I reckon cuz I just looked it up and apparently I'm mistaken.

I dunno if it's been made more stable since my time in the service or if I was given some bs training or what but I vividly remember being taught burning C4 could detonate with the pressure one would exert by stamping out the flames.

I've been out well over a decade.

Apologies and I do stand corrected.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:39 PM
Militant Normal

Thanked 18,831 Times in 6,409 Posts

Back to the Original Olive Oil Post: There is a WW2 story that a C-47 landed at a remote Pacific island with an engine out due to a massive oil leak. They repaired the leak, filled the tank up with olive oil, there being no engine oil at the remote location, and flew the thing all the way back home. God bless those old Wright radials!

Vinegar: British naval ships in the days of fighting sail carried barrels of it.

Vinegar will kill the ammonia odor from stale pee, should the occasion arise.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:56 AM
Hunter

Thanked 4,495 Times in 1,384 Posts

Quote:
Ok I gotta step back I reckon cuz I just looked it up and apparently I'm mistaken.

I dunno if it's been made more stable since my time in the service or if I was given some bs training or what but I vividly remember being taught burning C4 could detonate with the pressure one would exert by stamping out the flames.

I've been out well over a decade.

Apologies and I do stand corrected.
Just browsing through this post...I am no expert but I've decided that if I happen across what I know to be burning C4, I'm STILL not going to try to stomp it out!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ~Black.Dog~ For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2019, 06:44 AM

Padadena Texas actually has one of the largest Acetic Acid plants in the world.. in the Clear Lake area with net sales of 5.4 billion.

Currently research Cellulose (Tri)acetate related to conservation of film negatives and thought it was coincidental that the vinegar mentions and running across the largest producer of Acetic acid being a Texas based company. Celanese Corporation owned by Blackstone Group. Interesting someone named blackdog posted here. Blackstone has interest in Hilton Merlin, Performance food, EQ office Republic Services, Allied Barton United Biscuits, Freescale Semiconduct Vivint and Travelport. The CEO of Blackstone is known to be the head man deforesting the Amazon rainforest and a top financer of Donald Trump. (Steve Swartzman)

http://desmogblog.com/2017/09/09/ste...trump-fracking

Quote:
Schwarzman attended the Abington School District in suburban Philadelphia and graduated from Abington Senior High School in 1965.[7] He attended Yale University, where he was part of the Skull and Bones secret society.[8][9] After graduating in 1969, he briefly served in the U.S. Army Reserve before attending Harvard Business School, where he graduated in 1972.[10]
Unrelated but it was an interested chain of information that came from this discussion.

schwarz means black. "black reflecting little or no light, illegal" dog is mans best friend. just an interesting coincidence that Blackdog posted after and thanked the vinegar posts.
Old 10-02-2019, 01:01 PM

Just an FYI - Subway has it in disposable packets. Pretty handy in the camping kit!