Will you be a Slinger? - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here
View Poll Results: Will there be Slingers when / after SHTF?
Yes, there will be Slingers 11 57.89%
No, there won't be Slingers 8 42.11%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-11-2018, 09:09 AM
Survivor

Thanked 12,896 Times in 4,198 Posts

Advertise Here

I thought you said SWINGER, and immediately was think,ing heck no! And then I was wondering if you meant it as a money-earning skill

Everyday I'm home and CCW, I'm a "slinger". Post SHTF wouldn't be any different, but there would be discretion whether open or concealed carry...

As to a job? Not me. I do see those opportunities arise for those willing to take the risk if the reward was enough. Far enough into a post-SHTF scenario, you would likely see something like armed-stagecoaches again do exactly what you're thinking.

ROCK6
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2018, 10:16 AM
Hiker

Thanked 3,254 Times in 423 Posts

Makes me think of "The Last of Us", where they had smugglers in the controlled zones that would take people out, or go scavenge for trade goods. I can see something like that in the appropriate scenarios. As mentioned above, caravan guards, coach guards, and private security would like rise up later in a TEOTWAWKI. The pay off being food and board, and possibly a sense of security in whatever compound the client lives in.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to theblindman94 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2018, 02:12 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 4,474 Times in 1,165 Posts

AS in all things, circumstances and timing control all aspects of "What will I do next."

IE, You are on vacation/a business trip/at a funeral in a different city/state far from home.
THINGS HAPPEN and the world flips.

You are many many many many many many miles from home/BOL/base and all your "stuff"
BUT
you have skills others do not and if you can sell them and thereby providing a better chance to get home... who wouldn't and why?

I may be older but I can shoot better than 99.9% of the folks on the planet from powder burning range to well out past 1000yds if I have good equipment. Not everyone can say that.
I spent 30 years of my life engaged in hundreds and hundreds of hand to hand situations with all sorts of folks, both foreign and domestic and I never lost. Not everyone can say that.
I can plan aggressive and defensive situational tactics because I had to do that for 30 years of my life. Not everyone can say that.
SO
to "make it" if someone was looking for a skilled person why not take them up on it and do what you need to do to facilitate getting home.

If someone said Do "this" and I will help you get along your way...
it sure beats having NO ONE help and support when you are so far away.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2018, 07:59 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,073 Times in 527 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sockpuppet View Post
Oh. I thought this thread was about something else.

Sling TV: Slingers 30 second spot - YouTube
After reading the title of the post I was thinking of the commercial on tv. Would I become a slinger? No way. I say we should pile trees in the roads all around the citys - burn the bridges and such so they are stuck where they belong away from us.
10 million people will leave the city for the boondocks and in the end they will just starve there too.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:32 PM
off-grid organic farmer

Thanked 36,005 Times in 14,231 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt 1 View Post
The OP is a TV induced fantasy.
I must agree.

Watching fantasy is fun, but there are NO lessons to be learned from fantasy that will ever help in Real Life.

Quote:
... If things got really bad there would be a flood of people from the cities but this isn't a Rambo movie. There would be no "slingers".
Agreed.
The Following User Says Thank You to ForestBeekeeper For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2018, 10:16 PM
If I had a voice I'd sing

Thanked 22,510 Times in 5,593 Posts

Seems like a good way to die. I didn't move out of the city so I can go back when SHTF. That's the last thing I'd do.

THEY DON'T HAVE ANYTHING I WOULD WANT.

Old 06-16-2018, 04:45 AM

Thanked 1,420 Times in 669 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntroC View Post
I have had many fantasies about Nicole Sherzinger or Shania Twain wanting me to be their slinger.
To each his own.
Old 06-16-2018, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW GUY View Post
AS in all things, circumstances and timing control all aspects of "What will I do next."

IE, You are on vacation/a business trip/at a funeral in a different city/state far from home.
THINGS HAPPEN and the world flips.

You are many many many many many many miles from home/BOL/base and all your "stuff"
BUT
you have skills others do not and if you can sell them and thereby providing a better chance to get home... who wouldn't and why?

I may be older but I can shoot better than 99.9% of the folks on the planet from powder burning range to well out past 1000yds if I have good equipment. Not everyone can say that.
I spent 30 years of my life engaged in hundreds and hundreds of hand to hand situations with all sorts of folks, both foreign and domestic and I never lost. Not everyone can say that.
I can plan aggressive and defensive situational tactics because I had to do that for 30 years of my life. Not everyone can say that.
SO
to "make it" if someone was looking for a skilled person why not take them up on it and do what you need to do to facilitate getting home.

If someone said Do "this" and I will help you get along your way...
it sure beats having NO ONE help and support when you are so far away.
You sound hella tough
Old 06-16-2018, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblindman94 View Post
Makes me think of "The Last of Us", where they had smugglers in the controlled zones that would take people out, or go scavenge for trade goods. I can see something like that in the appropriate scenarios. As mentioned above, caravan guards, coach guards, and private security would like rise up later in a TEOTWAWKI. The pay off being food and board, and possibly a sense of security in whatever compound the client lives in.
Remember in The Rover when it ends up trains are still running, and the dude from Memento sees the security people riding on one of the cars?
Old 06-16-2018, 05:05 AM

Thanks everybody

As for me, after reading all your replies, I think that at least a little bit, there will be people like slingers.

At the beginning of the end, there will still be security people, and there will be people who need to get the heck out of town.

Then-

There will be security people who happen to need money or think they should bargain for something, and there will be people who need to get the heck out of town who have a lot of money / useful goods to trade, or are sympathetic.

QED...

It doesn't really matter what all us survivalists say we'll do, or think is smart, because supply and demand will be in effect for people who aren't thinking just as we do. They may not think it's really TEOTWAWKI. They'll be waiting for things to straighten out and in the meantime, a paycheck will be a paycheck.

Or if it's a matter of people thinking it's TEOTWAWKI, it could be guys getting paid in lidocaine or antibiotics or something. There could be some way it could be arranged to be an offer someone wants.

Got to say I agree with the people speculating about predators, about untrustworthy slingers, though. But savvy clients will maybe have a way to get in touch with real pros with credentials instead of just the first tough-looking guy they see on the street.

Ditto what people said about stagecoach / whatever security. There could just as likely be stuff that needs to be safely transported as people that need to be safely transported.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:23 AM
✝️🗽🏹🗡️🔥🥓💰🛠️💉📻

Thanked 29,017 Times in 8,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestBeekeeper View Post
Watching fantasy is fun, but there are NO lessons to be learned from fantasy that will ever help in Real Life.
Though it does indirectly. It tends to influence and inspire changes in the real world, which in turn, helps in real life.

Old 06-16-2018, 07:49 AM
Para Bellum

Thanked 7,478 Times in 2,374 Posts

Be a slinger...lol, hahaha..
Me? I'm headed over to Lita Fords self sufficient homestead island. We'll live in blissful isolation.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:21 PM

There may be slingers, but should you do it?

I'd say it depends on the info you can get about the particular job. If you've got nothing contradicting that the way is clear enough, then why not. If you've got no info, though, then I guess you shouldn't risk getting caught in the disorder.

People signed up to do military work in Iraq and Afghanistan, and what was that like?

If slingers survive, then they might be important sources of history. They might be people who went into the cities and traveled out again and again during TEOTWAWKI.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim from 28DaysLater For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2018, 01:19 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,208 Times in 503 Posts

Prospero in the Tempest is my goal
Old 06-13-2019, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamppapa View Post
Yul Brenner
The Ultimate Warrior
OP plan on standing on a pedestal as an act of endurance and demonstration of strength?
Pop,

There's gold in them thar hills.

When TEOTWAWKI happens, a lot of people may not see it for what it is. In other words--- you accept what's in front of your face, and don't try to be the prognosticator too much, if you don't think you have the expertise for it. In fact, a lot of regular life's like that. Things may look bad before the other shoe can fall--- but you don't really know how bad. And it's actually paranoia when you always err on the side of caution.

To the typical, clever person, it looks like you've got to know things are bad, and not cross the line and think it's the apocalypse. You've got to know how to be careful in NYC, but still have the balls to be making money off of NYC. You've got to not forsake it, and not risk being outcompeted by your rivals in your business, simply because of something as trivial as overestimating a fad for antifa protests, street crime, or a spate of blackouts, or whatever else it might be that's destabilizing NYC, Boston, LA, etc.

If all that's true, then before SHTF, people will tend to be working according to the usual rules of life / usual assumptions. Money talks, etc.

So let's say what's happening, at face value, doesn't necessarily look like TEOTWAWKI or SHTF yet. Let's say it just looks like NYC getting pretty bad.

The problem that's in front of people's face is just dealing with New York, and the people who have combat experience have to make a buck. They have clients who they are driving in and out of the city, and around the city, for a year or two. And one day, that finally turns into, "Get me the heck out of the city for good-- discreetly."

That's all.

Another way to put it is, what would you be doing if it was the apocalypse, but people didn't know it was the apocalypse yet, and you had the skills, guts, and inclination to be a security man? You'd be a security man. If the market for security men at that time was evacuating people from New York, then you might be doing that, even if it was a daunting job.
Old 07-17-2019, 11:35 PM

Throughout the ages there has always been mercenaries for hire, and I much doubt a time will ever come when they are extinct. The real question is what sort of intentional community would accept an influx of useless and unskilled city refugees?
Old 07-18-2019, 12:30 AM
Fix Bayonets!

Thanked 7,475 Times in 3,305 Posts

Those movies are weak, the best SHTF movie of recent times is definitely Book of Eli.

Now on Netflix too, shameless plug.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-18-2019, 08:29 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,339 Times in 2,751 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim from 28DaysLater View Post
Reuters says Singapore has its own Ghurkas- wondering whose asses they'll be kicking if Singapore experiences TEOTWAWKI.

The article says that when off-duty, they're kept on a compound far away from the regular people of Singapore.
Gurkas are part of the British army. I cant see why they would be Singapore. Maybe private contractors.
The Following User Says Thank You to Exarmyguy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2019, 08:43 PM
Fix Bayonets!

Thanked 7,475 Times in 3,305 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exarmyguy View Post
Gurkas are part of the British army. I cant see why they would be Singapore. Maybe private contractors.
Those ghurka units were elite, from what I hear.

Crazy how a country like Britain can have such an outstanding military, yet such backwards gun laws, "stateside".

The Following User Says Thank You to ForgedInTheFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 08:08 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,339 Times in 2,751 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgedInTheFlame View Post
Those ghurka units were elite, from what I hear.

Crazy how a country like Britain can have such an outstanding military, yet such backwards gun laws, "stateside".

Well the British empire was something in its day but it collapsed like most empires. The problem with the British army now is its a mess like the whole of England .