What to do in a riot? - Page 6 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why a shotgun for a riot? WILL Shotgun Forum 55 01-07-2019 01:51 PM
How to Survive a Riot (or How I Survived My First Riot) TonyGa Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 20 04-22-2018 09:19 AM
Berkeley Riot: Dude selling delicious, salty peanuts KravMagoo General Discussion 4 09-03-2017 08:23 AM
Tulsa officer involved shooting near riot Koolhandlinc General Discussion 13 06-11-2017 02:28 PM
Liberal Meltdown and Riots - Merge Thread Cpt-Jack General Discussion 850 12-03-2016 10:36 PM

Old 06-14-2019, 10:15 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,212 Times in 1,688 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post
Thats simple. You are overcome by events. Yes, it's a technical term.

While often you probably CAN avoid a riot, you could also easily be simply going about your business, turn a corner and find yourself in one and before you can reverse course your trapped.

Or perhaps you are traveling and staying at a hotel. You go to bed one night, wake up the next, and find your part of town is now in the middle of a riot.

You're driving down a road. Traffic stops. After being stuck in traffic for half an hour you suddenly see that rioters on foot moving through the area and you are engulfed.

Many many possible scenarios where you simply are in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Of course, what you do is simple. Get out of there if possible, shelter and defend yourself if not.

Riots usually ebb and flow like a tide with the time of day. Just before dawn seems to usually be an ebb, with the peak coming just after dark and lasting through midnight.

If no obvious escape route presents, hole up somewhere until dawn and try again.

If you can get internet, or if you have a VHF radio, tune into your local police despatch channel. Its a great way to follow what is happening.

And then there is always the possibility the riot is for a cause you believe in. In that case, tool up and go to town.
I think that while on foot, your chances of all of a sudden finding yourself in a riot are 0.000%. At least thats the opinon I have after over a decade of dealing with multiple riots, protests and roadblocks on daily basis. All of a sudden walking and oh! I'm in the middle of a riot. Cant see it.
Gettin stuck in that mess in a car, yes thats more likely.
The hotel example... guess it could happen. I've been in that kidn of situation many times. you just wait it out if you can or really, just walk out and just NOT engage with anyone in any way. Unless its something like race related and they are specificaly going after you, shouldnt be a problem.
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2019, 10:28 AM
Fix Bayonets!

Thanked 7,520 Times in 3,324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerFAL View Post
For whatever reason?

Do you ever wonder what to do if you suddenly (for whatever reason) find yourself in the middle of a gay orgy, butt naked?... Exactly.

How the hell do you suddenly find yourslef in the middle of a riot without realizing it? They are a loud, large gathering of people.

But lets just run with that, lets say you suddenly do wake up in the middle of a riot. What do you do? Same old same, get the hell out there.

Still waiting on the training done to prepare for riots and the mind blowing tips you have to share with us beyond "get out of there".

Dont worry about my reading comprehension, just list those tips and riot training youve been doing and I'll try super dooper hard to understand the wisdom you have to share.
This was a wasted response, you could have just said "thanks, you're right, my apologies".

Because I am. Now carry on, as it's clear we can just ignore your content from now on, as your reading comprehension lacks, as does your logic.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk
Old 06-14-2019, 11:11 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgedInTheFlame View Post
This was a wasted response, you could have just said "thanks, you're right, my apologies".

Because I am. Now carry on, as it's clear we can just ignore your content from now on, as your reading comprehension lacks, as does your logic.

Man, those anti riot teachings and tactics you have. You have to share this with the rest of humanity, make the world a safer place.
Such wealth of knowledge!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2019, 02:30 PM
Free-ish Man

Thanked 1,871 Times in 938 Posts

Quote:
How do you "train and prepare" for a riot?
You don't specifically train for a riot. That wasn't what I said. I was talking about people training and preparing in general.
Quote:
Every "what to do in a riot" article I've read have been pure BS, most likely written by people that never got caught in the middle of one in their life.
That's why people want to hear from people like you who have been in one. (or a bunch). If every person with experience simply says "just don't get caught in one", and leaves it at that, that's not real helpful for someone who actually does get caught in one. It's the same with any of the other scenarios that are discussed on this site. Avoidance of a bad situation is great, but it's not always possible in every case.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SBK For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2019, 04:12 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBK View Post
You don't specifically train for a riot. That wasn't what I said. I was talking about people training and preparing in general.
That's why people want to hear from people like you who have been in one. (or a bunch). If every person with experience simply says "just don't get caught in one", and leaves it at that, that's not real helpful for someone who actually does get caught in one. It's the same with any of the other scenarios that are discussed on this site. Avoidance of a bad situation is great, but it's not always possible in every case.
The thing is this, there's really not much to tell about it other than dont be there and if you are somehow there for whatever reason just get out of there.

Yes, I've read stuff written about "how to deal with a riot". The advice I came across was pretty lame in general and I would bet lots of the people writing said advice have very little experience with riots.
Stuff like wear comfortable shoes to run, no high heels, dont wear political insignias, avoid the center most crowded part of the mob, use a respirator...
Its all kind of.. ok.. sure. No high heels, dont wear your fancy KKK costume to your next BLM rally. Do people really need to be told that? I have respirators, several, but I dont have them to go to my next antifa rally, fight the police and put my NBC respirator on when they gas my SJW butt.
Whenever I saw rioting, or looting,or one of the protests or marches I'd just not get involved. If I had ot go somewhere and there was some of that happened I would just eyeball the situation and the level of violence and decide if it was worth the risk or not.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FerFAL For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2019, 07:22 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 4,600 Times in 1,198 Posts

HMMM WHAT to do in a riot...?????

based on LOts of years of pOleeece work and having been a participant in several of them in my life

the answer is...
GET OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
anyway,
the fastest way
the safest way
you possibly can.

If you have to leave your vehicle to get away DO IT. If some butthead decides it will look good on TV burning gloriously, you will not be able to stop the bonfire without killing people.

GET OUT!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2019, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorngnu View Post
Put the truck in 4x4 and get some axle grease. **** em.
This is exactly why I drive a 4x4 truck and also have an AR15 in my center consul.
Old 07-07-2019, 09:27 PM

I lived in LA during the Rodney King riots. We did a few things mentioned here, we moved perpendicular to the crowd, and then not even kidding, we hid ontop of a building that the mob had no interest in.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:55 AM
Hiker

Thanked 1,293 Times in 495 Posts

Quote:
I think that while on foot, your chances of all of a sudden finding yourself in a riot are 0.000%. At least thats the opinon I have after over a decade of dealing with multiple riots, protests and roadblocks on daily basis. All of a sudden walking and oh! I'm in the middle of a riot. Cant see it.
Gettin stuck in that mess in a car, yes thats more likely.
The hotel example... guess it could happen. I've been in that kidn of situation many times. you just wait it out if you can or really, just walk out and just NOT engage with anyone in any way. Unless its something like race related and they are specificaly going after you, shouldnt be a problem.
Some of the film of the Antifa behavior in Portland includes teenage girls trying to get out of the way. On one clip you could hear them saying. "I only wanted to go to the mall." Some might say they should watch the news, and most of us here are better than that, but bad things do happen.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:55 PM
Fix Bayonets!

Thanked 7,520 Times in 3,324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizendino View Post
I lived in LA during the Rodney King riots. We did a few things mentioned here, we moved perpendicular to the crowd, and then not even kidding, we hid ontop of a building that the mob had no interest in.
Did you at least do any filming, or throw stuff at people down below?

Just watching sounds rather....boring.

Old 08-03-2019, 09:57 PM
This is a great survival forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Kaira View Post
This is the right answer. Don't put yourself in a situation where it could happen.
Well damn it! We've been doing all this survivalist **** wrong the whole time! All we have to do is not be where we might need it. Case closed. Might as well shut down this forum. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.survivalistboards.com/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif[/IMG]
LOL Yep! There's always someone who smugly has 'the perfect answer' to any bad situation:

"Don't let it happen."
Old 08-03-2019, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo8904 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorngnu View Post
Put the truck in 4x4 and get some axle grease. **** em.
This is exactly why I drive a 4x4 truck and also have an AR15 in my center consul.
Why sure; that's the answer for EVERY person, EVERY location EVERY time!

Either that or "Stay inside your hidey hole up in the Iderho hills and don't never come out!"
Old 08-14-2019, 08:28 PM
Honyock

Quote:
It is something above 0.000% because it happened to me.

We were on foot in Connaught Circle in New Delhi India, wife, kids and all. We stepped into a store that my wife spotted. A few minutes later I saw people running past the store and said something to the store owner. He went outside for maybe 30 seconds, came back in, said it was a riot and immediately began rolling down the steel door to close up the front of the store. He told us to stay inside and we could leave out the back when we wanted to.

We left by the back door a few minutes later and could hear the yelling and screaming as be walked in the opposite direction.

There had been no warning and still don't know what it was about.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gordon Randal For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Randal View Post
Quote:

We were on foot in Connaught Circle in New Delhi India, wife, kids and all. We stepped into a store that my wife spotted. A few minutes later I saw people running past the store and said something to the store owner. He went outside for maybe 30 seconds, came back in, said it was a riot and immediately began rolling down the steel door to close up the front of the store. He told us to stay inside and we could leave out the back when we wanted to.

We left by the back door a few minutes later and could hear the yelling and screaming as be walked in the opposite direction.

I think many people in this country have become acclimated to 'everything' being discussed, planned, and announced on social media -including "spontaneous" events- and can't fathom truly spontaneous events exploding 'out of nowhere'. As society becomes less stable, we see more phenomena such as unorganized gangs of thugs materializing at police stops/arrests, Walmart parking lots, etc. Those of us who have lived overseas have frequently witnessed exactly what you describe.

While in Naples Italy I saw a riot explode out of what was a peaceful setting within five minutes after an idiot with his entire family on a moped (I am not making this up) went the wrong way on a one way street and got smacked by a car driven by a British forces servicemember. Guido was clearly at fault in so many ways (2 adults and 3 children on a moped, no helmets, driving the wrong way) but the mob that materialized didn't care and attacked him and his passengers who were trying to render first to the 'victins' (read: idiots). Luckily they managed to get back in the car and drive away, with 20 or 30 of the mob chasing the car, throwing rocks and bottles at it. The mob then attacked anyone they thought was not 'local'. And that with a police staion less than a block away. Similar events have occured here in the U.S.

Even those planned 'demonstrations' that turn into or were actually planned as riots aren't necessarily predictable unless you frequent all of the same social media where the events are announced.

Many parts of America are becoming like third world cesspools where riots and mobs DO appear without warning. People need to consider such threats in their ALL HAZARDS THREAT ASSESSMENT AND RESPONSE PLANS.
Old 08-15-2019, 04:46 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,318 Times in 669 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targe View Post

Many parts of America are becoming like third world cesspools where riots and mobs DO appear without warning. People need to consider such threats in their ALL HAZARDS THREAT ASSESSMENT AND RESPONSE PLANS.
Philadephia yesterday?
Old 08-16-2019, 05:00 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Randal View Post

What you are describing isnt getting caught in a riot but rather seeing people run past the store you where in. That's the reasonable approach I'm tlaking about. You didnt go out with your family, join the mass, run along with them and once you're well witihn the middle of the mess go "oh my God Im in the middle of a riot!". What you are describing is the only common sense advice I'd have for anyone that sees such a thing coming their way: Stay the hell away from it.