Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ruger 10/22 Laser By LaserMax Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 04-20-2018 04:59 PM
Repeal Second Amendment Movement Has Gun Grabbers Worried AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 12 03-30-2018 10:42 PM
Insight X2 Sub-Compact Weapon with Light/ Laser Combo - $99.99 shipped apps47inc For Sale 0 02-14-2017 12:10 AM
Insight X2 Sub-Compact Weapon with Light/ Laser Combo - $99.89 shipped apps47inc For Sale 0 01-25-2017 09:46 AM

Old 04-25-2018, 04:53 PM
That'll be the day...

Thanked 5,715 Times in 1,359 Posts

Advertise Here

Fantastic info..... Gracias!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WImountainMan View Post
Lasers are regulated by the FDA and back in 2014 every "laser pointer" more powerful than 5mW was made illegal (also why I don't use mine anymore).
You can buy and "own" lasers in the watt-power level 10-100W (engravers) and industrial cutting lasers in the thousands of watts... but again, if you turn it into a laser pointer... you're breaking the law.

Here's a page I just found: http://www.laserpointersafety.com/ru...ws/uslaws.html

If you're not using it as a "laser pointer", as far as I know, the sky's the limit. If you want to build a 5 megawatt laser out in your pole barn, you can. You can even use it outside provided the beam is terminated on a surface. But if you're building a surveying, medical, or display device, you're supposed to get a letter from the government for it.

For comparison the lasers the military uses to shoot down drones, missiles, and artillery shells are in the tens to thousands of kilowatt class.
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2018, 11:00 PM
Survivor

Thanked 19,617 Times in 6,925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthyMcStealth View Post
Well I just got it today. Testing is coming. If you mean lighting stuff on fire, that is close range as far as I have seen so far.
You do realize that a target will be moving and the beam will not be focused on the same spot long enough to do any damage right? That beam would have to remain on the same spot for 1/2 to 1 second to do anything, do you think your attacker is going to stand still while you try and keep your laser on his left nut?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to panoz77 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2018, 06:25 PM
Better Looking Than You

Thanked 2,310 Times in 593 Posts

All well and good until some dipwad points one at me and catches a mess of JHPs in the high center chest.

With the proliferation of laser sighting devices attached to rifles, shotguns, and pistols...and having had them pointed at me before...one can only reasonably assume that whatever that laser is attached to will launch bullets.
No, I read your last post. At first I merely rolled my eyes and shook my head, but then nearly had to quit reading because I was worried that your brand of stupid was contagious because everyone who agreed with you seemed to drop IQ points with every word.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frisco85132 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2018, 03:19 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,015 Times in 390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by panoz77 View Post
You do realize that a target will be moving and the beam will not be focused on the same spot long enough to do any damage right? That beam would have to remain on the same spot for 1/2 to 1 second to do anything, do you think your attacker is going to stand still while you try and keep your laser on his left nut?
Try the right one instead!
Old 06-01-2018, 03:26 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,015 Times in 390 Posts

I have a 90w commercial laser/engraver, someday when I get good enough on the set up I'll post some pic's . I know it will cut 1/2" red oak with a smooth almost sanded cut or turned down it will lightly char paper. WAAAAY to heavy for a weapon/pointer it's a tad over 300 pounds not including the air compressor or chiller unit.
Old 06-13-2018, 04:03 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,542 Times in 1,578 Posts

I'd say more of a torture device than a weapon.
The Following User Says Thank You to Potawami II For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2018, 08:39 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 4,568 Times in 1,191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisco85132 View Post
All well and good until some dipwad points one at me and catches a mess of JHPs in the high center chest.

With the proliferation of laser sighting devices attached to rifles, shotguns, and pistols...and having had them pointed at me before...one can only reasonably assume that whatever that laser is attached to will launch bullets.
WHEN I was in the drug unit I had a .45acp upper for my shorty lower (Liked the .45 upper because there wasn't the over penetration issue for raids) Anyway, one of our guys was doing a buy bust on a dealer and as soon as our agent cleared the sellers vehicle cars closed in. He was in a 3/4 ton PU with 4wd and he sat there and you could tell he was thinking about going for it. I was quartered away from him and I turned on my laser sight and painted the end of his nose. It got his attention and he turned to look and I dropped the red dot to his chest. He turned off the truck and raised his hands.

The good thing about them is everyone knows what they are and if the situation is right you can use it to make people NOT DO something stupid.

the down side of them is they work in both directions.
Old 01-01-2019, 10:23 PM
Target Shooter

Unless and until it really hits the fan, I am going to stick with defenses that (a) utilize everyday objects and (b) do not kill, maim or blind as a primary objective. While the ROL persists (for those of us not part of TPTB) doing more is risking all. IMO.