Ultrasonic Gun Cleaner - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Actions/Laws I might support to reduce gun deaths TekGremlin Firearms General Discussion 131 03-11-2018 11:38 PM
Another anti gun film, this time with a twist Mr. Sockpuppet General Discussion 6 02-26-2018 09:19 PM
they aren't really trying to take your guns deprogramming services General Discussion 25 02-19-2018 04:10 PM
Best Gun Safe for Getting Your Gun (in a panic) JOracle Firearms General Discussion 48 10-24-2017 03:33 AM

Old 04-15-2018, 10:15 PM

Default Ultrasonic Gun Cleaner

Advertise Here

I am looking for a new Ultrasonic cleaner to help speed the process when cleaning suppressors. I have an ancient one that took a dump on me. In the past I have seen several and tonight my research are not working as well as I would like. Amazon has one for $599 that looks like it would work but I prefer to get some real time feedback. https://www.amazon.com/Sonic-System-...ic+gun+cleaner.

If I have posted this in the wrong section I would like to apologize to the mods in advance.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Starblaster For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2018, 11:16 PM

https://www.amazon.com/Water-chestnu...ot_top?ie=UTF8

I found a winner and I like the reviews.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Starblaster For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2018, 08:49 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,077 Times in 956 Posts

Seems kinda spendy, IMO.

Harbor freight. $80 regular price, ad on a 20% coupon (they regularly have them). $64 ish.

Does a great job cleaning what I’ve done, pistols mostly. Use Simple green brand, purple colored concentrate (aluminum safe).

Dunno if the size will work for you though.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Camelfilter For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2018, 01:09 AM
For Conversation's Sake.

Thanked 17,072 Times in 5,261 Posts

Ebay has lots under $200

A pro tip for ulrasonic cleaners: use glass jars or vases that fit the part you want to clean, fill with water, and set in the ultrasonic cleaner. The frequency goes through the glass and when done can be easily cleaned versus cleaning the machine.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SeaBeeDaddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2018, 03:53 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBeeDaddy View Post
Ebay has lots under $200

A pro tip for ulrasonic cleaners: use glass jars or vases that fit the part you want to clean, fill with water, and set in the ultrasonic cleaner. The frequency goes through the glass and when done can be easily cleaned versus cleaning the machine.
Thanks for the tip!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Camelfilter For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2018, 11:17 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,318 Times in 1,026 Posts

Harbor freight: The place to go for cheap chinese junk sold at prices that truly reflect the quality that you typically get. Just as bad as Walmart..

You know though.. IF you only ever buy the (low output power ) ultrasonic from HF, you'll never know what a more powerful unit can actually do.. That can be a blessing! For instance, when you are sitting there going back every 8 minutes to restart the cleaner because it's got that auto-shutoff that sticks you with 8 minutes; but you need it to run for 45 minutes to clean something... Or you start wondering why the basket "handles" are fully submerged down in the bottom or why the unit does not have a drain to drain out the liquid, well, you'll start to understand why it's $80 dollars.. While you are there though, go ahead and pick up some nitrile gloves; you'll want them when you reach in to pull your parts out..

For the most part, tools from HF are iffy unless straight mechanical. Some stuff works; some stuff does not.. The HF ultrasonic will work if you can't afford something better, but there's a reason it's cheap..

Sorry for being so negative about the HF ultrasonic.. The price and size is about the only thing attractive about it, to me. Some of it's features-- are the most annoying reasons to buy something else.. Like being able to drain it without making a mess.. Like being able to pull out the basket.. Or that 6 or 8 minute timer that is it's Achilles heel. Owning it changed my perspective on it.. Eventually, I'll "gift" it to someone else..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MadDawg For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2018, 11:37 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,318 Times in 1,026 Posts

30 Liters ? Wow.. So, just short of 8 gallons to fill it up. For the most part, you'll probably be better off with a smaller size like 4.5 or 6 liters. Maybe even the 3.2 L .

I realize you won't need to fill it to the max; but there needs to be a minimum level that it's filled to.. That and the time to come up to temp.

The seller listed the dimensions as
1.3 L: 6 x 5.5 x 2.5 inch
3.2 L: 9.5 x 5.5 x 4 inch
4.5 L: 12 x 6 x 4 inch
6 L: 12 x 6 x 6 inch
22 L: 20 x 12 x 6 inch
30 L: 20 x 12 x 8 inch

I'd look at what size I needed, and go with a size closest to what I'd ever use. By all means, if you want the 30L, go with the 30.. What suppressor are you cleaning ?
The Following User Says Thank You to MadDawg For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2018, 01:03 AM
Trapper

I am braking one of my own rules. I do not talk about guns on the internet. But I think you learn a lot more by cleaning your gun by hand.
The Following User Says Thank You to Heal For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2018, 05:19 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDawg View Post
Harbor freight: The place to go for cheap chinese junk sold at prices that truly reflect the quality that you typically get. Just as bad as Walmart...
Oh yah, absolutely!

Some things are pretty decent though.

There rock tumbler as an example. Decent, but ditch the 2 drums and make 1 larger one.
The Following User Says Thank You to Camelfilter For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2019, 04:46 PM
Smile..wait for the flash

Thanked 2,458 Times in 755 Posts

Bumping back up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBeeDaddy View Post
Ebay has lots under $200

Cool idea!

I just got a Hornady 2L. Will be trying it out with some Simple Green Purple tomorrow on my ARs BCG parts.

Aside from the Hornady cleaning solution (expensive), any luck with other stuff? Will the SG Purple hurt the polymer parts of my M&P?
The Following User Says Thank You to SLED For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2019, 09:11 PM
Survivor

Thanked 12,184 Times in 4,918 Posts

My gunsmith now uses either citrus based cleaners (hard plastics) or Brownells ultrasonic cleaner for metals.

The Brownells cleaner #083-000-031AV makes 10 gallons of mix.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Israel Putnam For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2019, 06:18 PM
Fenced In

Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,806 Posts

Anyone using an ultrasonic cleaner for AR BCGs? A buddy of mine has been trying to convince me that it's a great idea, but he's never done it himself.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inazone For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2019, 08:14 PM
Survivor

Thanked 12,184 Times in 4,918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inazone View Post
Anyone using an ultrasonic cleaner for AR BCGs? A buddy of mine has been trying to convince me that it's a great idea, but he's never done it himself.
I have access to the same ultrasonic weapons cleaner the sheriffs dept uses.

Field strip and drop everything into the basket, everything.

It comes out to be air dried with compressed air and then back in the rear tank for an oil bath.
Allow to drip dry, wipe off excess and reassemble.

So yes, cleaning your AR, AK, SKS, Model 70 bolts as well as your pistol slides and barrels will all work.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Israel Putnam For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2019, 05:42 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Yah, as @Israel Putnam mentioned, I also take them down and drop everything in.

Several types (Nickel Boron, Nitrided etc). No problems, and they come out pretty clean. Have to wipe off some residue (whereas before it may have been a scrape job/let a cleaner set for a long while).

They come out so clean that I like to give them an "extra wet" coat of molybdenum lube (Lucas Oil brand chain lube). Likely doesn't matter hardly for the Nickel Boron, but probably handy doing such on the nitride. Dunno for sure, scientifically speaking. They all run great tho.

...and this is using the cheapo Harbor Freight one.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Camelfilter For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2019, 07:58 PM
Target Shooter

I use one I got off amazon for 50 bucks after some credit card points I used. Cleans brass, bolts, and the S/O's jewelry to a nice shine. This model is small, but I don't do a lot of brass at once and don't need to dip an entire AR into it.https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For brass, a 50/50 solution of water/vinegar with a tbsp dish soap makes them shine, and works better than simple green and even some commercial solutions, according to some Youtube guy's testing.

Do not use vinegar on blued parts. I use water and dish soap for all other parts. I love this little thing and have zapped everything I can find to clean in it.
The Following User Says Thank You to cab5392 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2019, 02:53 PM
Smile..wait for the flash

Thanked 2,458 Times in 755 Posts

Quote:
Worked well with the Hornady. Took two 30 min runs with about three cups of water and 1/3 cup Simple Green Purple. Cleanest it's been since I got it.

Cleaned all my handgun mags yesterday. Took them completely apart (Pro-Mags and S&W). Were all dirty but not bad, considering how many rounds have been through them.

There's a good YouTube vid about an ultrasonic cleaner fail about making sure you dry and lube everything afterwards:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SLED For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2019, 09:59 AM
Always Loaded

Thanked 2,861 Times in 972 Posts

Look into the rotary wet tumblers. I'm working with my new Frankford arsenal, and you can't get much cleaner than this thing. After 3 hours some seriously crusty baffles came out virtually spotless.
Old 10-16-2019, 07:19 PM

I have a cheap harbor freight one. There's was no drain valve for the tub and there's a gap between the tub & casing. This means it was impossible to empty without getting water inside the casing which would eventually short it out. I permatexed the gap and haven't had any problems in 8 years.

Mine works well enough for stripped Glocks and AR bolt carrier groups. Everything else needs to be cleaned the old fashioned way. If you're an armorer for an organization or gunsmith, I'd recommend spending a few hundred bucks on a proper professional setup.