LockPick Set - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Complete List Living off the Grid Grifters Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 150 10-16-2018 09:56 PM
Self-Contained Cook Set by NDUR AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 01-30-2018 02:30 PM
Moving to Tonga to live on an uninhabited island. Kaizen Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 54 01-22-2018 01:42 AM
Soon to be technician. How is this for initial equipment and set up? subvetssn Communications 9 12-17-2017 09:51 AM
Bulgarian AK47/74 Wood Stock Set Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 06-13-2017 09:59 AM

Old 03-07-2018, 04:29 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,197 Times in 623 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbubbajb View Post
Sparrows lockpick company in Canada. High quality

Once I learn what I want/need I may think of higher quality.
I ordered a 14 piece from southard, then a cheapie 5 piece from China for a few bucks with free shipping

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2018, 01:04 PM
Hunter

Default LockPick Set

Unbelievable what I can pick with a couple bent paperclips. No effort whatsoever

The Following User Says Thank You to Hunter Don For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2018, 01:18 PM
¡Salga de aquí!

Thanked 8,842 Times in 2,945 Posts

What a timely thread for me. Ordered a cheap set with clear lock a couple weeks back and forgot all about it until I saw this thread. Should be here in a couple more weeks. Before that I was practicing with paperclips and watching videos. Yet to replace my door locks but will if I as a novice can pick them with little effort. It's just interesting to learn the inner workings of locks. I still don't know what I need either so started with the cheap China kit. Looks like an electric toothbrush with a piece of metal on the end beats all picks anyway haha. Fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2018, 04:20 PM
Hunter

Default LockPick Set

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeTarzan View Post
What a timely thread for me. Ordered a cheap set with clear lock a couple weeks back and forgot all about it until I saw this thread. Should be here in a couple more weeks. Before that I was practicing with paperclips and watching videos. Yet to replace my door locks but will if I as a novice can pick them with little effort. It's just interesting to learn the inner workings of locks. I still don't know what I need either so started with the cheap China kit. Looks like an electric toothbrush with a piece of metal on the end beats all picks anyway haha. Fun.

Yep, replacing locks was my first thought, right after, holy crap that was easy.

I ordered the PXS-14 kit from LockPickShop
Then ordered like 5 dollars total worth of stuff from China, including a transparent lock

Can’t wait to get a real pick set in my hands

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hunter Don For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2019, 08:47 AM
D. Gibbons is a bad man

Thanked 3,613 Times in 1,926 Posts

Decent video on the preppers pick kit.

http://locklab.com/high-security-and...-for-preppers/
Old 06-15-2019, 09:25 AM

I got an el cheapo on off wish.com for 12 bucks plus shipping.
Old 06-16-2019, 01:46 PM
Hunter

Default LockPick Set

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asag View Post

That’s quite a set he’s recommending. Quality items too
You Gotta learn how to use it all

Old 06-18-2019, 03:17 PM
D. Gibbons is a bad man

Thanked 3,613 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Don View Post
That’s quite a set he’s recommending. Quality items too
You Gotta learn how to use it all

A wet Sunday afternoon would have lock raking and shimming cracked and a little bit of practice every now and again wouldn’t hurt. My daily carry is at the very least a set of Bogotá’s and you could reduce this recommended set to a few items with some moderate experience.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:42 PM
Prepared

I want to pick up a set to learn on but not exactly sure about how legal it is since I live in California from my reading it seams to fall in a bit of a gray area

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to hillbilly510 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2019, 07:44 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,699 Times in 792 Posts

I made my pics and tension wrenches out of small, thin stainless steel steak knives I got at a thrift store for 10 cents each. I did the basic shaping using a bench grinder and finished them using a 4.5" metal cutting disk for an angle grinder.
The pic sets I bought online had small handles that didn't work well in my big hands. If you have a grinder and punch, you can take a Master lock apart pretty easily and see how they work. For door locks, cabinet locks, etc. you can usually buy used locksets at thrift stores for next to nothing and then practice on them or cut them open using a metal cutting disk in an angle grinder or bench grinder. I got the car door locks I practiced on at the junk yard. They are usually held into the door frame using a sliding clip that's easy to remove once the door panels are removed.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:48 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 66,901 Times in 20,498 Posts

Quote:

I wish he had that set all put together for sale.
Who wants to spend 3 hours figuring out where each item came from and submitting 5 different orders?
Old 07-15-2019, 10:18 PM
Clinton's Hitman

Thanked 2,957 Times in 1,612 Posts

I got one of those lock pick kits for a present. It has dozens of tools, too many. I can pick the transparent lock pretty readily with my eyes closed, but some other locks are a challenge. I always had better luck rake-ing locks with a specific key. Got my neighbor into her house when she was locked out using my own house key. Freaked her out!

I have one of those brass Master combo locks with the four wheels. The one that gets picked using a sliver of aluminum Pepsi can. Then I watched a special about the nuclear missile silos and the two launch operators getting their codebooks and arming keys from their separate lockers . Guess what, they are using those same crummy combo locks. This means that anyone in that silo who has watched youtube, Bosnian Bill or whomever, and has a Pepsi can, could open BOTH lockers and get BOTH codebooks and launch codes. Real secure!
Old 07-15-2019, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
I got one of those lock pick kits for a present. It has dozens of tools, too many. I can pick the transparent lock pretty readily with my eyes closed, but some other locks are a challenge. I always had better luck rake-ing locks with a specific key. Got my neighbor into her house when she was locked out using my own house key. Freaked her out!

I have one of those brass Master combo locks with the four wheels. The one that gets picked using a sliver of aluminum Pepsi can. Then I watched a special about the nuclear missile silos and the two launch operators getting their codebooks and arming keys from their separate lockers . Guess what, they are using those same crummy combo locks. This means that anyone in that silo who has watched youtube, Bosnian Bill or whomever, and has a Pepsi can, could open BOTH lockers and get BOTH codebooks and launch codes. Real secure!
I liked the little story Dr. Feynman wrote in one of his books.
He had figured out how to open most combination locks with a little fiddling around time. He figured that most people were too lazy to turn the dial 3 full revolutions to reset all the numbers. So assuming they just gave it a little spin, he narrowed the setting to try to a fairly short list. When he was at Los Alamos working on the bomb, all the secure files were in locked filing cabinets about shoulder high with a little combination dial on the upper corner.

He went into a guy's office and with his arm resting on top of the file cabinet he started casually fiddling with the dial while talking to the guy in the office.

At some point he opens the filing cabinet and the guy is shocked. Feynman was a brilliant guy. And humble, just like me.

the thing he did that impressed me the most, was when he was given an introductory tour of the underground tunnels at Los Alamos, which had all kinds of twists and turns, and at the end of several parts of this maze were the bulk uranium storage piles.

He actually was able to remember the twists and turns and distances, calculate in his head the relative positions of the various piles and determine that they were dangerously close to achieving critical mass. And had them relocate the piles further apart. I can't even find where I parked my car half the time.
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2019, 11:55 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,423 Times in 2,778 Posts

Bolt cutters ,torch or breacher shotgun. Ive spent many hours learning to pick a few different lock styles. Its too slow, there are too many good security locks out there. Force and speed.
Old 07-16-2019, 03:17 AM
Clinton's Hitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exarmyguy View Post
Bolt cutters ,torch or breacher shotgun. Ive spent many hours learning to pick a few different lock styles. Its too slow, there are too many good security locks out there. Force and speed.
Actually a bolt gun, or a modified nail gun will deliver enough energy to defeat most padlocks.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Central Scrutinizer For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2019, 03:25 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,190 Times in 520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exarmyguy View Post
Why not just a drill ? I’m a locksmith I know how to pic locks and bump them.

And if I can’t pic a lock in 10 minutes , I’m using a drill. If I don’t care about breaking the lock , I’m using a drill UNLESS it’s just so easy to pic or bump I can do it in a few seconds.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cuteandfuzzybunnies For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2019, 10:48 AM
Survivor

Thanked 8,423 Times in 2,778 Posts

Well I didnt put drill on my list but yes. Ive never figured the reasoning to pick locks in an emergency. You are essentially breaking into someone else's property ,so if your ok with that, speed should be a factor.
Old 07-16-2019, 11:32 AM

Because a lockpick set is very small and lightweight. Some people include it in their EDC.

If you want to EDC a pair of bolt cutters or a shotgun with breacher rounds or a power drill, then more power to you.

Some people have a James Bond fantasy and want to be able to break into the secret headquarters and steal the plans for the Death Star. Others would like to be able to open the stairwell door some officious dufus locked to escape a burning building without having to use a burning elevator or dive out a window.

If you live in a big city, you might want to be able to remove that parking boot some garage cop clamped on your car while you double parked to take your wife to the hospital to deliver a baby. or whatever other spectacular emergency might have caused you to park your car in a hurry. (Like to see you open one of those with a shotgun, drill or bolt cutter.
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2019, 04:13 PM
Clinton's Hitman

There are plenty of demolition prybars that could be used to breach any door or enclosure and also serve other purposes including personal protection.
Old 07-17-2019, 01:32 PM
Hunter

Quote:
A wet Sunday afternoon would have lock raking and shimming cracked and a little bit of practice every now and again wouldn’t hurt. My daily carry is at the very least a set of Bogotá’s and you could reduce this recommended set to a few items with some moderate experience.

Agreed, I only rake stuff like master locks, and maybe the home style Schlage and kwikset. Beyond that I’m just no good at it.

I’d have to take a look at the list again to see how easy it is to gather in one place to order