hi standard 22 mag derringer - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Winchester?s New Subsonic 22 Mag Ammo AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 1 04-20-2018 10:35 PM
Heritage Rough Rider 22 LR/22 Mag Combo 6.5" 6rd White Grips from $154.99 shipped wikiarms.com wikiarms.com 0 12-24-2017 06:24 PM
22 mag rifle as bug out/defense rifle. mygunisjammed Firearms General Discussion 43 02-19-2017 09:48 PM
GSG-5 .22LR 22 Round 2 Mag Set Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 3 01-28-2017 02:59 PM
GSG-5 .22LR 22 Round 2 Mag Set Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 12-30-2016 03:07 PM

Old 04-09-2018, 08:33 AM
Survivor

Thanked 58,764 Times in 19,062 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by cook View Post
.According to about a millon posts on here,you can get a single shot 12 ga at any pawnshop for 20$...but that ain't true here..$..
Buddy got a crate of wall hangers for $10 per, but I'd call them ornaments, not guns.

I could probably do $60, but not $20.

DID do <$2 on a SS 410 last year, but that was after I subtracted the value of the ammo and stuff it came with.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2019, 05:43 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,513 Times in 1,734 Posts

Old thread,but posting update about a single shot 12 g.
Pawn shop I visit finally had one a few weeks ago.Steven/Savage 94F,looked in decent shape.Listed at 99.99$.I offered 100$ straight up OTD,he declined.
Went back yesterday,was still there,****erd a little,ended up getting it for 90$ OTD.
Maybe not a screaming deal,but he was happy and so was I.

Now I gotta find a cheap 12g O/U.
Old 10-03-2019, 01:36 PM
Survivor

Thanked 10,839 Times in 4,399 Posts

Back to the 22 mag's. I recently picked up a couple of the NAA mini revolvers. A PUG and a basic 1 1/8" gun.

Ive pretty much always blown these things off as toys, which they really still are, but they really are well made toys, and now that I have them, I am seeing them in a little different light.

Quality is very good, and with a little practice and getting used to them, they arent as near as bad as you hear for accuracy and shooting.

With a little focused shooting, I was getting fist sized 10 yard groups with the PUG the first time out once I got it down. Up a little closer, 3-5 yards, and unaimed head shots are not a problem at all. Like anything else, its just learning them in practice.

The PUG was the first one I pcked up, and it comes with a Houge rubber grip and a set of "big dot" sights on it. Seems kind of silly, but they work pretty well.

The standard gun came with an over sized cowboy type grip, a small pearl-lite type grip, and a spare, engraved cylinder. All that crap is going on EBay. I put a Houge grip on it like the PUG. Now they both feel the same in the hand. Using a "middle finger hold", that grip also works very well too, and places the gun in just the right spot to be easily worked and pointed.

Dont get me wrong here, I still look at them as toys and at best, a last ditch, third or fourth line kind of thing. If I need something for that role, my Seecamp .32 is still the king there.

Still, they arent junk, are easily lost in your hand, and at contact distances, would certainly still most likely spoil someones day when pressed up under the chin and fired to the rear. Just as long as you dont get that "rimfire click" when you were counting on a "pop".

Even with good ammo, out of the 200 or so Ive shot (Speer Gold Dot SB and Hornady Critical Defense) in the past month or so, I had 4-5 that failed to fire on the first try, that did fire on the second try when restruck elsewhere on the rim. Nature of the beast when it comes to rimfires I guess.
The Following User Says Thank You to AK103K For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2019, 11:51 PM
Goat Roper

Thanked 1,498 Times in 573 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK103K View Post
Back to the 22 mag's. I recently picked up a couple of the NAA mini revolvers. A PUG and a basic 1 1/8" gun.

Just a word of warning, dont let your fingers get close to the opening between cylinder and barrel. I know I am prolly the only one stewpid enuff to do it, but I was using my other hand to steady my arm and it pretty much blew the skin off of my finger I had let ride against that gap. I thought I had shot myself but found my fingers didnt reach past the barrel. It hurt like hell and is still a little numb (9 months later).
But these little guns are better than nothing and easy to pocket carry and I really am a fan of .22 WMR.
The Following User Says Thank You to hawgy54 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2019, 07:41 AM
Survivor

Thanked 10,839 Times in 4,399 Posts

Thanks for pointing it out. Im familiar with the threat.

While I normally shoot my revolvers "thumbs forward", and dont usually have a problem, I dont see these little guns as anything but "one-hand shooters", so I dont think the flame cutting will be an issue here either.

I have experienced it too, and youre right, its not fun. I had a run-in with my Chiapa Rhino and its relief cut earlier this year. My thumb was just close to it, and I still got a little bit of collateral damage from the blast. It would have really sucked if it was right next to it!
The Following User Says Thank You to AK103K For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2019, 10:08 AM
"Do No Harm" Do Know Harm

I have had my HS 22Mag since the mid 70s. My Dad sent it to me as a gift when I was working military "joint patrol" with the Fayetteville Police on Hay Street while stationed at Ft Bragg, NC.

It arrived in the mail, in a tin of my Mom's homemade cookies, wrapped in foil. I have a flat leather holster for it. It rides perfect in the rear inner pocket of my daily wear Propper Tac Pants.

Depending on the length of your index finger, lay your right index finger along the right side of the derringer and use your middle finger to pull the trigger. This allows you to "point" with your index finger. YMMV
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HighStandard 22Mag Derringer.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	292480  

Last edited by Tac Medic; 10-05-2019 at 10:09 AM.. Reason: Updated grammer
The Following User Says Thank You to Tac Medic For This Useful Post: