Standby generator vs a portable inverter generator - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Portable generator inside the house Jane7 DIY - Do It Yourself 34 02-24-2018 01:02 PM
Portable solar generator tips and idea's Jestertop DIY - Do It Yourself 18 02-18-2018 04:16 PM
Energizing a breaker box with a portable generator MyPrepperLife DIY - Do It Yourself 78 11-01-2017 06:53 PM
Generator size and usefulness Buck91 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 63 10-29-2017 09:35 PM
Generator helper inverter DKDeckmann Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 0 10-18-2016 09:42 PM

Old 02-18-2018, 11:03 AM

Default Standby generator vs a portable inverter generator

Advertise Here

I just wanted to get some of your opinions on what you'd go with and why. I'm contemplating purchasing a Honda Eu7000is inverter generator (5.5k running watts/7k peak) vs a 12kw standby Kohler unit with automatic transfer switch.

I have natural gas service at the house and my panel is already wired with a 30 amp inlet and an interlock kit. In addition, I have a gentent to run the portable generator outside in inclement weather.

The total cost of the standby generator is $7.5k while the Honda costs $4k. Power outages in my area are pretty rare. If I'm already spending $4k, I wonder if it's worth it to just go all the way for the standby. I do realize that the inverter will require keeping gas on hand but also realize it operates at 52-60db vs 72db.

Your opinions are greatly appreciated!
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeneratorNewb For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2018, 11:34 AM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 24,156 Times in 8,884 Posts

You need to provide way more information about your loads and how critical they actually are. Some folks would die without air conditioning, meds in the refrigerator, well pump...

If I had NG at the house I'd get a genny that could run on that, plus perhaps LP as a back up in a large underground tank. Rare outages then a small NG genny that would pull freezer and such.

Invest in a pre-oiler for the standby it will last longer with one. Whatever you get have some spare parts like filters, spark plugs, oil and the factory rebuild book.

Noise is one thing, fumes are another consideration. Refueling if gasoline is also a consideration. Concrete slab with the genny grounded and secured. Large dog house with tilt back top, baffle slats to direct noise upward and provide good air flow.
The Following User Says Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2018, 02:28 PM
2nd Amendment zealot

Thanked 1,293 Times in 429 Posts

I would opt for the Honda and here's why. It is portable so it could be used at the house connected to the interlocked panel or taken with you if you have to bug out. In a worse case, you have something to barter with. It would be more than enough to run your furnace blower since you already have NG and probably most of your other electrical needs like the refer. I would also assume that you have a NG water heater and your stove is also NG. You would be out of luck for the AC unless you had a window unit. You should have some gas stored for your autos unless they are diesel. Plus the Honda will be quieter and provide cleaner power and is more fuel efficient. In a long term situation like a natural or man made disaster the NG line or service may be cutoff or disrupted.

Gasoline, properly treated and stored will last a lot longer than most people realize. I myself have used stored gas upwards of three years without issue. Just my 2 cents.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigSlick For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2018, 12:17 AM

I went with Generac 15k. Able to run the entire house with the exception of not running the dryer and hot water heater at the same time. Other than that itís business as usual. I chose this route because Iím able to use the generator for welding as well. With 100+ gallons of stored fuel it will get me and family through all but the worst scenarios.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gunnut491 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2018, 03:28 PM

If I had a choice, because I do a lot of RV-ing, I'd go with the Honda eu7000i. I'd get far more use from it than I would a standby generator.

Of course, the downside is that if there is a fuel shortage, fighting for gasoline can be bad, compared to just letting a natural gas generator chug away because usually those lines will be operable unless the power outage is widespread and on a long term. However, if that happens, I'd probably bug out, so the eu7000i would be useful on that expedition.
The Following User Says Thank You to malikto44 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2018, 04:14 PM
reluctant sinner

So here is one that burns natural gas, propane or gasoline. 7200W running 9000 W surge for $1200. The Honda is likely a much better built generator, however if you seldom need one what is the point. I like NG option on this one.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sportsma...0517/205613110
Old 02-19-2018, 04:59 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,263 Times in 636 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliemeyer007 View Post
So here is one that burns natural gas, propane or gasoline. 7200W running 9000 W surge for $1200. The Honda is likely a much better built generator, however if you seldom need one what is the point. I like NG option on this one.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sportsma...0517/205613110
Where do you think you're going to find parts for that chicom junk in 3 years. Or after SHTF?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to neiowa For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2018, 06:32 PM
reluctant sinner

The same place I'd find the fuel to run anything. If you read my first post I suggested whatever the OP got he should have spare parts and a book to help keep it in good order. If he rarely ever needs a generator then a cheaper one might be a good option so he could invest the extra money in something he might need way more often.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2018, 12:13 PM

If power outages are rare I'd go with the portable, its portable! Same situation here, longest I've been without power in the last 20 years was 2 hours. Since I bought land and am building in the woods I need a portable gennie for the power tools. Harbor freight sells quiet ones for less than $1k. Start small ,try it out, decide if you need to go bigger you now have a spare. Keep in mind 7kw is a lot of power. You might only need half that to run a fridge, tv and lights. Gas powered furnace can be powered by an extension cord. The smaller your generator the better fuel economy you'll get. I feel confident with my 2500 for most of my needs. You didn't hear it from me but if you have a electric clothes dryer and a main breaker disconnect from the grid there are people who could show you how...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 68Caliberkiller For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2018, 09:15 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,274 Times in 692 Posts

Get the honda for a few reasons.
1) 7.5kw will be maxing out tour 30a breaker so the extra kw of the kohler cant be used.

2) the honda will be worth something in a few years and the kohler will be worth next to nothing, theres a ton of used/new standby generators alreaty on the market.

3) kohler makes terrible consumer grade products.

Any gas engine can be made to run on nat gas so dont think your killing your ability to use nat gas with the honda. A tri fuel setup may be better to have in the long run. The honda inverter will be a way better unit than the kohler standby. Its basicly just a lawnmower engine in a fancy box.

Someone makes a tri fuel kit for just about everything now.
http://www.genconnexdirect.net/honda...opane_kits.htm
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brettny For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2018, 12:55 PM

You bring up some valid points. I guess it's just a bit hard to spend $4k on a portable unit that only powers part of the house, needs manual refueling, and has to be hooked up manually. Then again, power outages are very rare here and seldom more than a few hrs
Old 02-26-2018, 02:01 PM
Hunter

Get a tri fuel kit and the manual refueling will be gone and you still have the ability to burn gas. If its just a few hours why even run a generator?
Old 02-26-2018, 03:22 PM

My HMMWV is my emergency power generator... I have a monstrous 1800W power sine-wave inverter on it that can peak about 600W higher than the nominal rating. The inverter plugs right into the slave port below the passenger seat and I can run applicance extension cord to wherever I need it. The refrigerator is the most power-hungry device I'd need to run, which should draw around 350 Watts when running. The peak draw for initial compressor start-up isn't yet measured, but I'm expecting about 1000-1200 Watts based on rule-of-thumb. All this meaning...I should be good to go. All my other appliances are gas-based, so they only need miniscule amounts of electricity to operate the controllers. That still, I'd just run the fridge in bursts...probably half-hour on, 2 hours off...more if it we needed to access the fridge more often for some reason.

I can back this one up with a standard inverter rated to peak at 1600W, sourcing from 12V instead of 24V, so it can be used to power additional devices, give the HMMWV a break, or simply serve as a backup in case of failure. And technically, my HMMWV alternator has substantially more power it can give, so it could drive both inverters if needed, but it would be a lot of strain on an engine that isn't designed to run a high-RPM continuous duty cycle, stationary. Pro-tip: don't run electric heating elements at all, if you can. A small, 2-cup, countertop water heater I have draws an insane 1800W. The surge for it is incredibly high and frequently trips a 20A fast-trip breaker I have. Automatic drip coffee pots will draw between 1200-1800W, as well. Go make your coffee on a small propane burner instead.

Diesel is the only fuel I currently store in any appreciable quantity at the moment, plus I really don't want to invest in a speciality generator at this time when I have so few things counting on constant power, so this solution currently works for me. I'd be most tempted to go for the inverter generator option, if I don't just go for military-surplus diesel. On top of being useful, I just really love collecting military hardware. Prepping can conveniently overlap with things that you just love doing!
Old 02-28-2018, 01:54 AM

Idling your 6.2 liter hmmwv to run a 1800watt inverter wouldn't be very fuel efficient, but an excellent point. I have inverters in 2 of my vehicles mostly so I can charge power tools. There are some good builds on youtube for solar powered generators, just a couple panels battery and inverter. You won't run out of gas. Worth a consideration depending how much gas you can store. How long would 30 gallons last you?
Modern houses and appliances don't use gobs of energy as long as you have gas appliances. Average Ac unit uses 3.5 amps per ton x240 for wattage. As long as you aren't running all the lights, fans, toaster, microwave at once you can get by with 6kw generator. My buddy's 3 ton came on when he was testing his 5800watt Coleman. It did fine. An invertered generator would be safer for your electronics. Old school ones rely on rpm to control frequency. 3600rpm was 60hz. Have an engine misfire and things can go bad quick.
Old 02-28-2018, 08:08 AM
Hunter

Nice post FOX..but thats now what the OP is asking. Im sure theres a reason why he wants 7kw and not 1.8kw. He didnt ask about other options just those two.

So many times these threads turn into look what i have.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brettny For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2018, 08:26 AM
Happy to be here!

Thanked 14,936 Times in 3,555 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread Outstanding Firearms Post 
Total Awards: 2

I don't care for stand-by generators. They often turn on automatically, and burn a lot of fuel. So you're at work and the power goes out at your home. The stand by generator kicks on and runs for 8 hours unnecessarily. You get home to find you burned through $80 of propane for nothing (They burn about 1.5 gallons an hour, your typical 20# propane tank holds 4.7 gallons). You want to make a pot of coffee in a power outage. You have to run 12 KW generator. Also, you can't take them with you when you leave. For the amount of use the typical generator will see, a whole house stand by generator is overkill. If you're rich, go for it.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WILL For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2018, 03:26 PM

12kw is crazy huge for a residence. Who specified it the Builder or electrician? You might double check with a generator rep who doesn't have a vested interest in up sale. It's a common mistake to go big with other people's money. I have a small 1200watt solar set up, 2400sqft house, when the sun is shining it runs my meter backwards until ac or my pool pump kicks on. Get a electrician you trust to put an amp meter on your panel turn on all your appliances lights everything and he can get true reading for your max power needs. Personally I don't have everything on in my house at the same time so realistically half to 80% of your max would be okay. Usually in an emergency situation you would probably be conservative with your power usage anyway. The point of going with a smaller appropriate size generator would be fuel efficiency, but the side effects would be saving your money and prepping 4 something else.
At my Beach property I wired up a few wall Outlets hooked up to an extension cord I could plug in to a smaller generator. This gave me a powered outlet in each room, no mess of extension cords everywhere. Generator was chained outside under the back deck. When we had power service I had the cord plugged into an outdoor recepticle providing Juice until we needed the genny.
Old 10-08-2019, 03:41 AM

The problem is really quite common. The choice of generators in any category is huge when I had this choice, unfortunately, I was not yet on this forum and had to dispense with the opinions of others. Followed the example of a neighbor who has had a similar generator for 5 years. Of course, it is large and requires space for installation, you still need to calculate the approximate consumption.

As a result, he was pleased with this acquisition, he already began to work out my expenses with me.
Old 10-08-2019, 05:56 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,735 Times in 1,041 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneratorNewb View Post
You bring up some valid points. I guess it's just a bit hard to spend $4k on a portable unit that only powers part of the house, needs manual refueling, and has to be hooked up manually. Then again, power outages are very rare here and seldom more than a few hrs
If it's short term, you won't need to power the whole house, although you might be surprised what you can run on the Honda 7000i.

Also, it can be converted to run on NG, and a simple plug in connection can be used to the transfer switch.

https://genconnexdirect.net/honda_ge...opane_kits.htm
Old 10-08-2019, 10:25 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 6,868 Times in 2,158 Posts

One of the more frequent circle-jerk topics with static thinking and logic.
I have a 20k LPG hard-wired unit with a 250 gallon propane tank.
Longest outage here, at least based on the local's memory
Two week due to severe ice storm.
System will go two weeks if I run it off and on for two hours at a time
Have small solar system for lights and entertainment
I need 20k to cover two two seperate air-conditioner systems
I have a small Honda portable generator just in case.
Propane lasts forever as a general matter and super easy on the engine
My advice, as always, is both.
Next is a diesel Lincoln DC stick welder/generator
Good luck
Hope you get what you are looking for

Last edited by Jack Swilling; 10-08-2019 at 04:31 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Jack Swilling For This Useful Post: