Mtn Wilderness Survival Retreat Experiences with 60 + pics - Page 57 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pictures of your bug out retreat/permanent wilderness shelter Psyclops DIY - Do It Yourself 6 07-07-2016 06:22 AM
New pics on my remote mtn survival retreat (2013 - Pic Heavy ) Mtnman Mike Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 119 11-19-2014 07:16 PM
Nice cabin pics where I worked & mtn retreat I Lived Summer 2010 ( Pic Heavy ) Mtnman Mike Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 123 06-17-2014 07:33 PM
A Real Wilderness Retreat Akita Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 0 08-18-2013 06:00 PM
New Pics of my mtn Survival Retreat Mtnman Mike Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 413 05-31-2013 01:19 PM
New pics showing more of my BOL / mtn retreat, bunker and Solar setup (pic heavy) Mtnman Mike Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 26 04-08-2013 08:03 PM
Illinois Wilderness Retreat Project! ForrestSpaceModule Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 20 02-26-2012 08:51 AM
Wilderness camp program experiences? smallbrat Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 0 01-11-2011 09:26 PM
Long-term survival. Wilderness and rural retreat. Le Loup Australia and New Zealand 0 07-22-2009 09:56 PM

Old 12-07-2019, 06:56 AM
Homesteader

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,681 Posts

Advertise Here

Mike, right now you are probably upset with my recent posts but I am making an effort to get you to alter your direction enough so you truly survive.

Right now you remind me of the story of Don Quixote, tilting at windmills. You have made accomplishments on your mountain but so far are not even close to a reasonable survival situation.

You have not mentioned if you got your camper trailer covered well enough to spend the winter without getting crushed with snow load (from the pictures, it's a good chance it isn't protected). It is a given your equipment and supplies are subject to theft and vandalism (a very distinct possibility unless you are very very lucky).

I know it borders on the impossible at this point (difficult but doable) but you might want to consider hiring someone in Encampment with a small dozer and cutting a path to the nearest plowed highway and retrieve your truck and trailer. Figuring a day to get that done and a normal cost of $100 an hour would cost you the small fortune of $1000. If you are in even the cheapest possible Motel in Laramie at $30 a day and spending $5 to $10 a day on food, you will go through that much every month (and more) for the next 6 months before you can even think of getting back to your mountain. Get it to a place a bit more benevolent is the idea. If not possible this year and it survives the winter (maybe kinda doubtful) at the very least consider that possibility for next year. You have very much to accomplish before your place is remotely 'ready' for major trouble.

You have been a fixture on this forum and have made a lot of friends and a lot of us do not want to see you get injured worse or die up there unnecessarily. I've met you and your family and I know you are one of the good guys. You are kind, generous and willing to be helpful but your place is not ready (even remotely) for longer term living.

I want you to realize, I am not even giving constructive criticism but trying to give constructive advice.

For some reason I get the impression that you are not able to drive because you were hiring people to get you to the mountain, maybe so, maybe not but in any case even Encampment would be a place that would be a much more amenable place if your trailer were there.

Shucks if your truck and trailer were accessible in Encampment I'd offer to drive it to a place you could live for much less $ than it is likely you are paying now unless you have a very benevolent friend in Laramie. Even the warmth of Arizona which I suggested in the past (and not a bad choice) for your present situation.

Reaching out as a friend, not as a critic.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mtnairkin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2019, 07:08 AM
Homesteader

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,681 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavedweller View Post
Mike,

Know you have your plans and people's advice just gets you to dig you heels in deeper to those ideas. Going to put this out there, for you and the others here as well.

You need to get out of that hotel and move back up there. Get yourself a used snowmobile. That way you have freedom of movement. Can get back to town when you want. Then maybe after next summer, leave one of your trucks in town. That way you can travel farther next winter, to gather supplies, on your own.

I know what you have said about license plates and insurance. You are already paying for those necessities indirectly, by paying others to chauffeur you around. Just bite the bullet and spend a little money on those necessary evils to help yourself be more productive. Instead of you spending money for an expensive warm bed, in town, every winter.

Let's face it. If you are not up there your trailer is going to be crushed by the snow. You need to follow through on your plan of keeping the snow off of it. When you go back next summer you will find another mess and another set back. Then how much time will you spend cleaning that up instead of getting ready for the next snow fall?

I wish you the best. My thoughts and those of others are not going to make your dream a success. Only your constant effort, on a daily basis is going to improve your situation. You need to be up there, burning firewood and making more firewood to burn. In between that, building the infrastructure that will allow you to stay on your land with greater comfort and ease.

-K

Cave, I think you are one of the people who have been up there and your ideas (we were writing at the same time) are similar to mine but Mike was not able to accomplish staying up there and doing what you are suggesting.

Great idea, and what I would choose to do but not likely to successfully happen. Like getting the trailer and truck down to Encampment. Borders on the impossible.

What I think bothers me the most is Mike is boxing himself in to fewer and fewer choices and is stubbornly refusing to take advice despite the obvious results of his previous choices. A snowmachine in that country is one of the basics.

PS: I'm going to wait for Mike's response but probably back away because I've done all I know how to do at this point. Glad you are trying to help.

Last edited by mtnairkin; 12-07-2019 at 07:11 AM.. Reason: Added PS
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mtnairkin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2019, 08:46 AM
Survivor

Thanked 9,048 Times in 3,249 Posts

I used to think like Mike,I forgot about it at age 13.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Good beer For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2019, 09:35 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Thanked 25,746 Times in 5,114 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnairkin View Post
You have not mentioned if you got your camper trailer covered well enough to spend the winter without getting crushed with snow load (from the pictures, it's a good chance it isn't protected). It is a given your equipment and supplies are subject to theft and vandalism (a very distinct possibility unless you are very very lucky).

I know it borders on the impossible at this point (difficult but doable) but you might want to consider hiring someone in Encampment with a small dozer and cutting a path to the nearest plowed highway and retrieve your truck and trailer. Figuring a day to get that done and a normal cost of $100 an hour would cost you the small fortune of $1000. If you are in even the cheapest possible Motel in Laramie at $30 a day and spending $5 to $10 a day on food, you will go through that much every month (and more) for the next 6 months before you can even think of getting back to your mountain. Get it to a place a bit more benevolent is the idea. If not possible this year and it survives the winter (maybe kinda doubtful) at the very least consider that possibility for next year. You have very much to accomplish before your place is remotely 'ready' for major trouble.

Shucks if your truck and trailer were accessible in Encampment I'd offer to drive it to a place you could live for much less $ than it is likely you are paying now unless you have a very benevolent friend in Laramie. Even the warmth of Arizona which I suggested in the past (and not a bad choice) for your present situation.

Reaching out as a friend, not as a critic.
I won't even waste time answering the grunf who fits almost all the criteria for being a troll. In my last post I explained from research, what a troll is even with a good link to an article written by a well informed and experienced man. Trolls exist to disrupt, elicit anger and worse and are faceless, gutless, extremely anonymous critters who should not be posting or ignored if possible.

Hardcalibres answered the grunf well. I refuse to waste more time on the grunf.

I will post at least one photo of my woodstoves and I did use all 3 of my main woodstoves. People simply have to be up there experiencing in REAL life to know what it truly is like.

Not sure if I will spend / waste several hours creating a new pic thread very soon. I might wait until May or June just before I go back up to post a new pic thread with the twenty new photos I did take.

grunf accomplished what he set out to do and that is greatly disrupt this thread which has been my blog for years now. Very few have disrupted this thread in the past ten years.

I did just look at grunf's profile and wow this is what is shows > "Last Activity: Today 06:23 AM
Current Activity: Viewing Thread Mtn Wilderness Survival Retreat Experiences with 60 + pics " and once more I quickly checked > Last Activity: Today 08:19 AM
Current Activity: Viewing Thread Mtn Wilderness Survival Retreat Experiences with 60 + pics
Today 03:57 PM
Current Activity: Viewing Thread Mtn Wilderness Survival Retreat Experiences with 60 + pics
Several times I look at grunf's profile that is what it shows. Not viewing any other part of this vast forum just focusing on this thread like the obsessed troll constantly provoking me unlike most people who don't care or just take me at my word.

I should try to explain Everything but I have spent / wasted far too much time as it is this year and in previous years also. I am glad that I have made at least ten pic threads and have given many something different to look at.

I must not care what Anyone says, does or writes anymore. I Know what I need and want to do and for the most part I do it.

IF so many are So worried about me then please, just come up next summer and help me. I am not begging or whining or whatever grunf and his kind think I am doing.

And mtnairkin and cavedweller thanks for your thoughts and advice. You and many it seems don't think that I can think reasonably or think of any of the things that you have given advice for me to do.

About getting my camper trailer and truck back down to Encampment is that it is impossible, unless I was a millionaire and even then would have to convince the state of WY to plow the state highway for six miles and the private road which might have five feet of snowpack by now. The road is closed with a locked gate six miles from my land and people wonder why I repeat myself but I must to fully answer.

And mtnairkin about my supplies, equipment etc etc. being subject to vandalism or theft is that is pretty much impossible. Unless they are very experienced with snowmobiles, snowshoes etc. A few snowmobiles travel my part of the private road in the winter but I have heard in Real life that most of the neighbors with cabins don't like to travel my part of the private road because it is up against the Continental Divide and the snow accumulates more on my road. And there is my steep cliff which I call my sunny hillside. The road is narrower there and with the deep snow dangerous to ride a snowmobile down as I have heard from neighbors with cabins.

My most valuable possessions are inside the bunker / underground cabin and it is Impossible to find the deeper the snow gets. I can find it but not overly easy to find or get into which is the way I like it and every year I will try to make it more difficult to find and get into.

Some might have missed it even the grunf, who seems to Anal yze every word I post. I did not have a fire inside the bunker - from March to mid May 2018 - because the temperature was not too cold. Inside the camper trailer it is cold unless I run the good electric heater which I did every time I ran the generators. I have 4 generators, two new and two older ones. I have not shown anyone including cavedweller or WR all of my stuff.

I of course, could have stayed all winter this year but I considered what I should do instead. Since July 8th I did lose at least twenty pounds and I am slowly gaining that weight back even more if possible. I have a higher metabolism than most possibly but it is difficult for me to gain weight.

A great deal more I could post, I could explain ( again ) such as I also came back to town to do business - city slicker stuff - as I like to call it. Such as with a bank and someday possibly soon get some oil checks which all of my middle to upper middle class cousins many whom inherited large wealthy farms they all are getting oil checks. I should not have to tell about that and I don't like to tell so much but it seems that I have to constantly tell as much as possible to Try to explain what I do and that I am not helpless or as unprepared as seemingly some of my "friends" even think that I am.

Here are a couple pics of my woodstoves that I did get going for a couple days. I also had the old woodstove inside the bunker going for four days.

I had this stove going full blast all day on two different days. I have more than enough firewood and with this large 55 gallon drum stove I do and did not have to split any firewood. I had up to ten logs ( rounds ) inside this stove and it put out a great deal of heat.

A close up of the hole I made in that drum stove. I made this hole in the stove using a hammer and a large metal spike. The bent part of metal is seen and I put up an 8 inch stovepipe also. Very noisy using the hammer and spike and ear plugs helped. That was twenty years ago. I also used this stove for a week towards the end of March 2000 in my woodshed. I had a large pile of firewood inside that woodshed back then and burned most of it in a week. Just one more experience I don't think I have ever written about.

My two largest stoves. I had the new fairly large stove seen covered in snow here but I had it going just for a few hours. It puts out enough heat but not nearly as much as the large drum stove. The new stove is cast iron but has some fixtures inside to prevent it from burning wood fast like the "crude" large drum stove. Also seen in this photo is some of the plywood walls I had built. I built much of the walls after October 10th with six inches up to 4 feet of snow. Not very easy to build even with a few inches of snow but I did what I could Alone like I have built most of what I built Alone. Unlike most people and I believe all of the neighbors with cabins within 3 miles of my mtn place, none of them built all alone. Alfred did some alone but ninety percent he hired done.

I could explain more about this photo but maybe I will if / when I create a new long pic thread >

Here is photo showing my large 2006 F-350 truck inside the gate and parked in the only place I could park this truck on my driveway. I also built a privacy fence around this truck so that snowmobilers etc. cannot see it. If they saw it they might get off their snowmobiles and nose around even try to find me If they thought I might be up there. Very difficult for me to walk out with 3 to 5 foot snow drifts around on Nov. 29th and so much much more difficult for any trespassers until sometime in June and I will be up there before all the snow melts. A small patch of the spring is shown near the bottom of this pic. It was up to 32 degrees somedays in late October to the end of November. >

And that just might be all that I will post for now and not sure when I will be inspired or even feel like posting all twenty new pics. It took me an hour or so just to upload and then post all of this so a twenty photo new pic thread would take just too much time and effort for the very few who seem interested and won't nit pick and harshly criticize like not sure if anyone at least on this S-boards has been trolled and extremely harshly criticized as I have over the past ten years. Not really complaining just telling like it is and I know at least a few real survivalists a few years ago left because of trolls and ridiculers etc.

later when / IF I feel like posting and spending / seems anymore like wasting my time plus telling far too much about even my survival lifestyle. Which is Much more than anyone will ever know about.....
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2019, 09:50 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Guy View Post
Mike, I want you to know that I have enjoyed reading your post and looking at the pictures you have shown. I don't post often or even take the time to log in. Way to many critical, know it all people, that probably haven't done half of what you have. There is always someone here who will take advantage of some little detail you forget to mention, or try to twist the meaning of something you say. To try to make themselves look smarter or better. Most don't have any idea of how hard it is trying to get stuff done, by yourself. I know your struggles because I am developing land from scratch by myself. Everything takes at least twice as long as you think it should. Yes, you have made some mistakes, we all have, but I am sure you learned from them and seem to be pushing ahead and not giving up. You should be proud of yourself. Don't worry over the idiots, most of them are in town, working crappy jobs, raising snowflake children, and pestering you because they wish they were man enough to do what your doing.
Thanks for that and even from the little that you wrote I believe you have done a lot more than most. You at least have a very good idea how difficult it is to do anything alone especially building. I simply do what I need to do and usually what I want to do NO matter what anyone thinks. Even the ones who think they know what is best for me and think they know what I do or did not do or should have done really don't know and they are free to give advice.

I should be able to be free to consider and then reject their advice especially when it seems all the advice given I have already thought it over but for whatever good reasons I did not and cannot do what many think I should. I don't care what others do which is likely not much survival wise anyway so I wish and Hope that others will allow me to Do what I have and what I need to do in the future. Thanks to the few who at least try to understand what I have done and still plan to do...
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2019, 10:14 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Quote:
You apparently missed the part where the hordes were not streaming out of Salt Lake City heading for the Wyoming mountains.

Mike's infrastructure, of which you know absolutely nothing did not enable him to survive even the first two months of winter this year. Last year it injured him badly and almost killed him. This in a time of relative benevolence. Given the real possibility of a major crisis occurring sometime in the future, Mike's efforts obviously need major tweaking.

He is making preparations but not yet even close to building a sustainable and survivable situation. The basics are not covered.

The hordes did not cause Mike's dilemma, Mother Nature (she can be a bitch even in good times) and the 6 P's did.
The more you post the more misinformation you are spreading. Similar in some ways but not as nasty troll like and not nearly as harsh and ridiculing as many I have seen post in the last ten years.

But to quickly answer you is first I also must have missed the part " missed the part where the hordes were not streaming out of Salt Lake City heading for the Wyoming mountains."

My infrastructure did not almost kill me but I have explained more than enough in previous posts since July 2018.

The main "infrastructure" bunker / underground cabin is the strongest, warmest, safest place I own. I did clean it up as much as I could and I suppose I should have cleaned it up much more last summer although cleaning up and moving the huge amount of firewood, old garage etc. was more important to do and what I had to focus on last summer of 2019.

I have not covered the basics?? Has Anyone? I did focus maybe too much on buying as much food as possible. My large F-350 truck has possibly more than six months of food inside of it even now. Possibly 200 or more cans of food. All kinds of canned food plus quite a bit of freeze dried food = Augason Farms and Mountain House. The one 55 gallon steel drum is packed with Mountain House food. Plus quite a few boxes of Mountain House packed full also.

I am certain I have far more than a one year supply of food on my land right now. If I include the 3 five gallon buckets of wheat and pinto beans then even more.

Water is the most basic and necessary. I have told over and over about my two springs. I have 3 fifty gallon plastic drums for water storage. One is full of water plus 30 or so one gallon plastic jugs of water frozen now. Some of it is in the truck as half or so of my food and some other supplies.

I could do like many are doing just in this thread the past few days harshly criticizing and I could say WHY don't you all have a protective underground or even above ground safe room / bunker / or at Least a Storm shelter???

Anyway, Hope I have proven enough for now. Again people just have to go up there and Experience for themselves the cold, the deep snow and so much more to truly know what I have done and still plan to do. I also came back to town as I have told over and over that I needed to go to the bank and to set up more so that I will get oil checks. And to possibly get social security checks although I might wait until I am 65.

ANYMORE that I Must prove to show that I am not a helpless unprepared sheeple as far too many are trying hard to embarrass and prove that?? All for now and maybe there is a real survivalist forum somewhere that I might join. I have spent possibly far too much time on this S- prepper boards as it is over the past ten years....
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2019, 11:48 AM
Bugged out already

Thanked 8,822 Times in 3,192 Posts

Hang in there Mike. Don’t let the petty internet tyrants sitting in their mother’s warm basement get you down. Thanks for your posts!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Alaskajohn For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2019, 03:47 PM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskajohn View Post
Hang in there Mike. Don’t let the petty internet tyrants sitting in their mother’s warm basement get you down. Thanks for your posts!
And thanks for the comment.

There is only one internet tyrant so far named grunf and difficult to criticize him / It since no info which is the way trolls like it. He / it says from experience and doing what I have done only more and so much wiser such as using firewood and whatever else he / it has written. Far too much written by grunf with no proof such as pics or a video or friends or anything and with so very few posts most of which have been posted just in this sticky wilderness thread.

I don't really understand all that mtnairkin is writing but he and cavedweller I believe don't mean me any harm and are just writing what they Think will help me. And they are so worried about me spending money but are they worried about most people and most who spend / waste an awful lot more money than I have and more than I do.

I mean I can and have lived much of my life on ten thousand dollars a year and less especially when I have lived on my mtn place for 4 or 5 months. I know of no one who is more frugal than I have been and I am trying to get back to a frugal thrifty lifestyle after spending so much over the past couple years buying stuff, supplies, food etc etc.

How I could go on and on trying ( again ) to explain all that I have done, all that I have built, all that I have learned and experienced, especially survival wise but I have written and shown plenty of photos. If anyone has written and posted more photos than I have please tell me or give a link. I know that sarco in Montana has posted quite a bit even at least one pic thread but still I doubt he has posted as much as I have. I also would like to know of Anyone anywhere on the net who has been criticized, anal yzed, ridiculed etc. more than I have over the past ten years. Especially since 2012 after I met the Watch Ryder. He also is not too well liked. I know at least a few still like what I post for the most part. I also know that what I post with Real pics is unique, possibly too different and hard to understand by most people.
Politicians, Our president Trump and others rich and famous don't count because they are big targets for abuse, ridicule etc. and it comes with their job = lifestyle.

Most people are so plugged in and controlled by society that they will not and cannot understand the few of us who want to be free! Free from being controlled and Free to do exactly what I / we want to do and need to do especially as a survivalist. Well all for now and not sure when I will post again. I simply try to share what I do and have done. Maybe I just have not explained well enough in detail.

IF any have specific questions I will answer most likely. I think I have always or almost always answered specific questions especially about my survivalist lifestyle but I might take a long break and just not share much anymore. I likely will someday but after all of these past posts the past few days I need a good break from this and even the whole mostly rotten internet. Anyway I don't hate anyone, even the grunf, who is likely to be pitied or whatever. I have shared more than enough and maybe I will more someday but not sure when...

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2019, 04:27 PM
I love this forum

More of blah blah blah ....

Few months back you stated numerous times that you are done with society .... that was it for you. Its still here for all to see.
Now after writing that you could not keep your camper warm and could not reach your pile of wood and even if you could then you say you could not split it and only because of that you had to make a hasty exit from your so called hold, back in to a warm motel room ...

And then when pressed with hard facts about not been able to live up there during the winter and behaving like teenager who escapes from home and then realises “ohhh, its a whole new and dangerous world out there”, returns home with tail between his legs ... only then you pull up the card of needing to organise some oil money as the main reason of your escape from your “hold”. You escaped so quickly that you even left half a year of food in your truck right at the gate to your property ....

Get a reality check ....

I am not disrupting your topic, I am always talking and commenting your posts and asking other people repeatedly to stay on topic.
Unfortunately for you, its all here for everyone to see, what you wrote and what I wrote.
People dont have to go back to the first page, its enough to start reading from your big announcement that you are done with civilisation and going up there permanently.

You dont have it, as you refuse to accept anyones advice and ignore your reality, you will never spend a winter up there, if you do it will be your last unfortunately. People offered you advice about ski doo’s asked you (in a subtle way) if your caravan is going to cave in, did you at least manage to do that? But, nah, you just ignore it ... and bark on everyone who dares to even think that all mighty Mike needs to reassess his decisions so far. Even people who know you personally are on your hit list and called trolls... as soon as they dare questioning you.

Rather than addressing your failures so far, it is easier for you to focus on me. First you write that you are not going to waste any time on me, then you mention me at least 10 times after that in your replies to others...
I am not a pivoting rock in your life, your move up to the mountain does not depend on me nor I am the reason for your failures. You should be focusing on that not on me.

And by the way, to ease up your paranoia, I leave the browser on my mobile device on this topic so it is easier for me to navigate to it when I find the time, thats why it is appearing to you that I am always here.
Even if I am, is that against any rules? Are you going to charge me rent?
You like the view count of your topic to go up and people visiting, but not me aye?

I wonder why ...

PS, how many months you were up there this time? And your wood stoves are still out in the snow???
Like someone else mentioned earlier, I use to think and behave like you when I was 13.
Old 12-07-2019, 05:18 PM
Swirl Herder

Thanked 10,991 Times in 2,882 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunf View Post
More of blah blah blah ....

Few months back you stated numerous times that you are done with society .... that was it for you. Its still here for all to see.
Now after writing that you could not keep your camper warm and could not reach your pile of wood and even if you could then you say you could not split it and only because of that you had to make a hasty exit from your so called hold, back in to a warm motel room ...

And then when pressed with hard facts about not been able to live up there during the winter and behaving like teenager who escapes from home and then realises “ohhh, its a whole new and dangerous world out there”, returns home with tail between his legs ... only then you pull up the card of needing to organise some oil money as the main reason of your escape from your “hold”. You escaped so quickly that you even left half a year of food in your truck right at the gate to your property ....

Get a reality check ....

I am not disrupting your topic, I am always talking and commenting your posts and asking other people repeatedly to stay on topic.
Unfortunately for you, its all here for everyone to see, what you wrote and what I wrote.
People dont have to go back to the first page, its enough to start reading from your big announcement that you are done with civilisation and going up there permanently.

You dont have it, as you refuse to accept anyones advice and ignore your reality, you will never spend a winter up there, if you do it will be your last unfortunately. People offered you advice about ski doo’s asked you (in a subtle way) if your caravan is going to cave in, did you at least manage to do that? But, nah, you just ignore it ... and bark on everyone who dares to even think that all mighty Mike needs to reassess his decisions so far. Even people who know you personally are on your hit list and called trolls... as soon as they dare questioning you.

Rather than addressing your failures so far, it is easier for you to focus on me. First you write that you are not going to waste any time on me, then you mention me at least 10 times after that in your replies to others...
I am not a pivoting rock in your life, your move up to the mountain does not depend on me nor I am the reason for your failures. You should be focusing on that not on me.

And by the way, to ease up your paranoia, I leave the browser on my mobile device on this topic so it is easier for me to navigate to it when I find the time, thats why it is appearing to you that I am always here.
Even if I am, is that against any rules? Are you going to charge me rent?
You like the view count of your topic to go up and people visiting, but not me aye?

I wonder why ...

PS, how many months you were up there this time? And your wood stoves are still out in the snow???
Like someone else mentioned earlier, I use to think and behave like you when I was 13.
This is pretty much a repeat of your post yesterday that got scrubbed in a cleanup by a mod.

This was posted about your scrubbed post (and included your post - mods must have missed that):

Quote:
Ease up just a little Bubbuh, OK.
and then you thanked that post.

and then you double down on the same thing.

You mentioned before you are experienced in mental health issues - was that by any chance as a patient?

And again, why the focus upon Mike? This site now mostly has members who are non-preppers or lightweight preppers who have a few cans of food in a closet. Why not focus upon them?

Why focus upon someone who has about the most remote BOL of anyone here?

What is it about Mike that has you so riled up, that he is about the only thing you have posted about in your seven years here?

You seem obsessed.....
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to hardcalibres For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2019, 06:34 PM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Blah blah blah .... more of the same delusional stuff...
You plan this, you plan that ... start one thing and finish it before you plan 10 other.

You call yourself a survivor, yet you even had not prepare enough firewood for the winter, or at least have it readily available and easy to reach. To make it even worse, you know that area, you know how harsh the winters are .... and still you did not prepare the basic.

4 feet of snow and could not split the firewood? Give me a break ...
I lived for 25 years in the area where snow was waist high for about 6 months per year and did my fair share of cutting, chopping and splitting wood which was quite often buried under snow.

First snowfall and you bail ... again. People want to help you with the advice and you dismiss them.

You will never spend the winter in your so called hold, or a hole in the ground. If you do, I am afraid it will be your last.

Before you go on and call me a spammer, a russian spy, mexican immigrant or any other thing you can think of, remember this is a public forum where you voluntarily post your little fairy tale stories, to which I as everyone else have a right to comment and/or express my opinion.

Now, do your best, assassinate my character.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcalibres View Post
This is pretty much a repeat of your post yesterday that got scrubbed in a cleanup by a mod.

This was posted about your scrubbed post (and included your post - mods must have missed that):

and then you thanked that post.

and then you double down on the same thing.

You mentioned before you are experienced in mental health issues - was that by any chance as a patient?

And again, why the focus upon Mike? This site now mostly has members who are non-preppers or lightweight preppers who have a few cans of food in a closet. Why not focus upon them?

Why focus upon someone who has about the most remote BOL of anyone here?

What is it about Mike that has you so riled up, that he is about the only thing you have posted about in your seven years here?

You seem obsessed.....
Because it IS obsessed with me. Quickly looking over grunf's very few posts he has written far far more about me, trying to embarrass and provoke me as much as he / it is able to. Prove me wrong and go to someone else more worthy of your "wisdumb" grunf.

I do really dislike wasting any time on this grunf but thanks anyway hardcalibres for standing up to this grunf.

More than anyone else it seems. I remember a few years ago there were people who stood up to trolls, harassers, troublemakers, ridiculers, disrupters of threads and such.

And I might have missed it but hardcalibres, I don't see anywhere in this thread where anything that grunf has written has "got scrubbed in a cleanup by a mod." I know in the past people have gotten banned for much less than grunf is doing. I am not calling for It to be banned but IF any moderator is reading any of this then hope they will do something.

And if no one but me and a very few can clearly see it grunf IS disrupting this thread. He goes on and on about me blah blah blah and whatever grunf wishes to post in as harsh a way as he / it can. Provoking me into a rage it seems?

I could but I wont go into a rage. I just will for now, refuse to post anymore interesting pics which does get quite a few people interested and has in the past and likely still does help this forum. I likely will post possibly a long pic thread but not sure when. And sure as anything not as long as the grunf is around, harassing, provoking and doing what a troll does.....
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2019, 06:36 PM

Glad you’re off the mtn safe Mike. Living up there in the winter seems like a tall order. Hopefully your camper doesn’t get crushed by the snow and maybe your truck will be ok too, though I don’t know the effects to a vehicle buried under snow for many months.

This thread is about the only thing I look at on this forum as you seem to lay it all out there for everyone to read. It’s like a saga that continues to unfold. Adventures that makes for good reading to many of us.

I finally realized a while back that you are not looking for any advice.....period. People like to offer suggestions because you speak of your troubles. But I now know you are not looking for help, this is just your blog of sorts.

So for those that have suggestions, I figure you might as well keep it to yourself....either give thanks, back pats and well wishes or just move on.

Good luck Mike
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lawnmower For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2019, 07:04 PM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnmower View Post
Glad youíre off the mtn safe Mike. Living up there in the winter seems like a tall order. Hopefully your camper doesnít get crushed by the snow and maybe your truck will be ok too, though I donít know the effects to a vehicle buried under snow for many months.

This thread is about the only thing I look at on this forum as you seem to lay it all out there for everyone to read. Itís like a saga that continues to unfold. Adventures that makes for good reading to many of us.

I finally realized a while back that you are not looking for any advice.....period. People like to offer suggestions because you speak of your troubles. But I now know you are not looking for help, this is just your blog of sorts.

So for those that have suggestions, I figure you might as well keep it to yourself....either give thanks, back pats and well wishes or just move on.

Good luck Mike
Thank you kindly lawnmower. The older I get the less I care what others think although nasty ridiculing posts still hit a nerve. Especially when some of my "friends" believe the nasty ridicule. I could be nasty right back but that is not the way I am. I welcome comments even advice But about all the advice I get is almost always what I have already thought of and I have rejected since it is usually too expensive to do, too difficult if not impossible such as moving my truck and camper Now.

My camper likely will get some damage and I think it likely will be the scissor jacks that get crushed. The roof is a small and strong steel roof. It is supported pretty well from the inside. I was able to make a wall around the camper trailer as well as around the trucks so the sides, windows etc. most likely wont get damaged.

I am fairly certain that the aluminum camper shell on my 2006 truck will get crushed although a Lot of stuff inside for support. And thank you for realizing that this has and Is my blog. Kev and another moderator or two created this, even giving an award for this pic thread. I don't care about awards and such and no way I could force people to click on the thanks or even view this thread. But I have seen many comments in posts and messages that they really like this thread and one reason they joined to see more etc.

Every good post such as yours makes me want to post more. And I most likely will just not now and maybe no more new pics from me this year. I do truly appreciate the few who do post nicely with comments, thanks etc. I could use more dollars but who couldn't? But that is not because I am Poor as some seem to think I am a poor, helpless, cripple or whatever. Every post such as some have posted makes them look bad to me and a few who have read and who understand what I have done and still do and will do again beginning again next June.

I could write and post a great deal more but again far too many ridiculers and discouragers and it is just not worth the trouble to spend so much of my time posting like I used to a few years ago. Anyway all take care except the disrupters, provokers and such just go away....
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2019, 08:07 PM
Swirl Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnman Mike View Post
I remember a few years ago there were people who stood up to trolls, harassers, troublemakers, ridiculers, disrupters of threads and such.
There are a few here I would and will stand up for - and Mike, you are one of them.

Please take that as a compliment.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hardcalibres For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2019, 09:16 PM
I love this forum

Mike again, you did not comment about any facts I wrote and summarise from your posts rather than observing what seems to be most important thing to you, whom I thanked and who thanked you.
Can you please stop, focus, and respond to my actual writing which is 100% related to your posts and is an attempt to discuss your posts. That is the purpose of any forum, including this one, a discussion. A discussion which in return attracts visitors, increases visitors etc.
Discussion sometimes means difference of opinions, not necessarily just agreeing and praising someone's stupidity. Its called being individual and have a voice/opinion.
Otherwise we might all be sheep and have the same opinion and voice.
Well we are not sheep, your are proof of that, with your own individual opinion, ideas etc, who’s been trying for the past 30 years to achieve his dream.
So take the advice, take the constructive criticism, allow others to dare think differently, allow possibility that you might be wrong sometimes and that we are NOT your enemies.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:39 PM
Swirl Herder

Quote:
Mike again, you did not comment about any facts I wrote and summarise from your posts rather than observing what seems to be most important thing to you, whom I thanked and who thanked you.
Can you please stop, focus, and respond to my actual writing which is 100% related to your posts and is an attempt to discuss your posts. That is the purpose of any forum, including this one, a discussion. A discussion which in return attracts visitors, increases visitors etc.
Discussion sometimes means difference of opinions, not necessarily just agreeing and praising someone's stupidity. Its called being individual and have a voice/opinion.
Well we are not sheep, your are proof of that, with your own individual opinion, ideas etc, who’s been trying for the past 30 years to achieve his dream.
So take the advice, take the constructive criticism, allow others to dare think differently, allow possibility that you might be wrong sometimes and that we are NOT your enemies.
Grunf again you haven't answered why you are obsessed with Mike.

Either answer why or go back into hibernation like you have many times in your seven years here.

It is interesting to go back to the first page of this thread.

Four hundred and four users thanked Mike's original post.

Has Mike changed so much since then - sure he is ten years older, but apart from that he is the same Mike.

Back then, there were lot's of survivalists here that appreciated what it takes to find and buy a piece of really remote wilderness.

There were also plenty of members that understood that Mike was not building a homestead - he was building a Mountain Wilderness Survival Retreat.

Wilderness means hard to get to, undeveloped and severe environment. All that poses very significant challenges. Mike has overcome some of those challenges and is yet to overcome others.

You cannot compare what he is doing to homesteading in some cutesy semirural location not far from big cities. It is different and much more difficult.

It is sad to read the early parts of many of these long standing threads. Those posts were so overwhelmingly positive.

Have these boards changed?

Absolutely - and not for the better.

The corruption of these boards with politics has led to them being profoundly negative.

I applaud some of the mods here for encouraging politics posters to move to another board and leave this one for survival discussions.

I only hope that it is not too late......
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hardcalibres For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2019, 10:09 PM
I love this forum

I have answered your question in my earlier posts and have no intention of repeating myself.

You again are disrupting this topic with digression about "good old times" ... well move along with times or perish ... that's how humans survived and neanderthals didn't.
You also use this section inappropriately to voice your concerns about how admins and mods are developing and running this forum. This topic has nothing to do with politics. Please use other appropriate sections for that.

Please lets stay on topic and discuss Mike's 30 year effort to become survivalist and in particular his latest failure and refusal, first of all in admitting to himself that he failed this time, which is the first step in any adjustment he needs to do and then his refusal to take anyone's advice.

This is an open section of the forum, a person started a topic in it ... it's a discussion, which means people express their opinions, it's not a competition who's got more "thanks".
Old 12-07-2019, 10:38 PM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Quote:
crawled to your hole and then loose few toes?

Do not jump from one thing to another, starting million projects and not finishing any one of them, like a headless chicken and then come here to the forum whinging "ohhh, I wish there is someone to help me" ...

Just my personal opinion and some constructive feedback - NOT trolling as you claim.
Quote:
There you go.

You know nothing about me, my age, gender, current or former profession, am I amateur, location, if I live off grid or if I am a survivalist - NOTHING. ZERO, which is exactly my goal. I do not need to prove anything to you, I do not care for "likes" or how many "thank you" I get.
I just am who I want you to think I am.

You are missing the point, I am not calling him out, I am not humiliating him, I am helping him. I do not expect thanks for that nor I want them. I do not even want him to publicly acknowledge the fact that just I might be right in some regards.

I want him to hear me, to read what I write, which he did well and truly and now it is up to him if he wants to reassess his approach, ability and capability.

So who is disruptive now?
Lets discuss his successes and failures. That is the topic.

For example you did not pick on the fact that he ran out of nails and screws shortly after "permanently" moving up there???
Basics one on one .....
Quote:
Again I really hate wasting time even answering such as you grunf. For many reasons some of which I have told over and over. You write, act and post like a troll. You are very anonymous which in itself is not bad but one more big sign of a troll. You try to sound All wise and helpful but really are not.

Much of what you write is provoking and sure seems to want me to rage back at least some of what you wrote. Many should be able to see that and the parts that are the most abusive. Should I post back the way you have grunf?? Such as blah, blah, blah which you have posted twice now in this thread.

And how am I supposed to respond to this also which you posted >> "crawled to your hole and then loose few toes?"

I have had trolls and other abusive posters say the exact same thing especially "crawled back to your hole!"

How I could waste a great deal more time answering everyone of your rants and outright LIES! Such as what you wrote > "OK, you might have food, some shelter, but you definitely do not have fire?!
Am I missing something here? Man ... you claim to be a guru, an expert in this?
As I said earlier, judging by your posts and actions so far, you will not survive one full winter up there. You are not capable of that."

I "might" have some food? You did not believe or missed when I have posted more than once that I DO have now stored on my land in boxes, a 55 gallon steel mice and bear proof drum and inside of my large F-350 truck at Least a one year supply of food. I won't know exactly how much until next summer when I go thru it all and possibly put stuff on shelves. More likely just keep a lot of the canned and freeze dried food in boxes, in the 55 gallon steel drum etc.

HOW many people anywhere, even on this "survivalist" forum can truly say - write that they have at Least a one year's supply of food?

And I have "some" shelter?? My fanciest comfortable shelter is the camper trailer. Which was perfect in the summer until mid October when it got a lot colder. I did get it warm whenever I ran the generator and heaters. I could buy a lot of propane to heat the camper also and I might do that someday but will see how expensive. I have huge amounts of firewood. I have answered you about having fire when I posted the photos of my woodstoves. How I could go on and on explaining over and over as I have posted about the woodstoves etc. etc. in my bunker etc. etc. I also own two more propane stoves, one even with an oven !

As people can see I have not told Everything but maybe I will someday. I DO own and have stored away in 4 sheds, the bunker, my truck, steel drums etc. etc. MUCH stuff = gear, food of all kinds, 16,000 vegetable seeds that I have briefly mentioned before sealed in large cans from Augason Farms. My strongest warmest shelter is the bunker which is mainly a very secure very strong storage and Storm shelter.

More misinformation when you posted in one of the posts above that I quoted about my running out of nails and screws. I did NOT run out of nails. I still have at least twenty pounds of nails, spikes etc. I Did go to Saratoga, WY near the end of October and I bought another five hundred dollars worth of supplies, plastic sheeting, more stove pipe and many various sizes of wood screws. I do Not need anymore nails or wood screws now or maybe ever.
!
I was going to tell a Great deal more whenever I was going to post the twenty new photos but you insist on ridiculing, harassing and trying to keep convincing everyone that I am a Failure! One of your quotes grunf > "Lets discuss his successes and failures." Similar to rabid haters, harassers, ridiculers etc. you focus on any perceived Failures you and a few others Think I have had. Ignore the successes. Even the loss of two of my toes might seem like a failure but I have to consider it to be a great albeit a painful learning experience.

And All that I have time to spend / waste answering you grunf and any others who might join the lets gang up on MMM in this thread now such as a few who used to like my posts such as n1 etc and "good beer"

Again are there NO other people on this huge forum or anywhere on the net whom you wish to dispense your great "wisdom" ? grunf?

And you grunf and maybe it is a few others like the way you post and in my view it is very harsh, abusive LIES just one out of many of your Posts > " Do not jump from one thing to another, starting million projects and not finishing any one of them, like a headless chicken and then come here to the forum whinging "ohhh, I wish there is someone to help me" ...

Just my personal opinion and some constructive feedback - NOT trolling as you claim"

Another lie from grunf >

Quote:
I Please lets stay on topic and discuss Mike's 30 year effort to become survivalist and in particular his latest failure and refusal, first of all in admitting to himself that he failed this time, which is the first step in any adjustment he needs to do and then his refusal to take anyone's advice.
I read all the advice specifically from mtnairkin and cavedweller. I refuse to do what they suggest such as move my truck and camper because it is pretty much Impossible now until June or so whenever the state of WY re-opens the locked gate six miles down from my land. State highway 70 is a groomed snowmobile, ski trail all winter until they plow it back open usually the end of May or in June depending on the snowpack. And in your prejudiced warped mind I failed but How specifically? I made a decision even I suppose a change in plans Nothing more NO failure. I decided I could stay and be very uncomfortable until probably June or go back to town and prepare more. Mainly gain back the twenty or so pounds that I lost. I cannot afford to lose that much weight and in future years even on my land I do not plan on losing twenty or so pounds again.

I also had a decision to make to do "business" which really is NO ones business but my own. Although I did mention oil checks etc. to try to explain a bit more. grunf's questions seem more like an interrogation where I am found guilty of failure but go ahead all of you who wish to believe someone / something like grunf who is a nameless, faceless harassing whatever you wish to call him / It. Instead of believing me who some have said I am an open book, possibly sharing too much. And proving and backing up about everything with photos and even some friends who sometimes back me up... And the most recent one from FL who could help also if he wishes. Watch Ryder knows how much of a failure I am also from his Living on my land for two different summers. Well more than enough time wasted trying to answer something such as grunf…. I might post new photos someday but that is my choice and I have posted plenty of pics at least for this year anyway...
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2019, 11:08 PM

Grunf, Rome wasn't built in a day. MMmike only has limited time each year to work on building. I believe he could stay in the bunker over winter but would rather get a above ground cabin completed for normal living. I wouldn't want to live all winter in a bunker unless I had to. Also he said he had town business to take care of.

MMMike, I am sorry if what I wrote above is not correct. I don't know your actual reasons so I am kinda guessing. No offense is intended.

I bought 10 acres of woods in a remote area a couple years back. My father ask me my plans this year in January. I showed him my list of what needs done. When I returned for Thanksgiving my father ask what I completed. In 10 months I have just started to make a dent to the list. Everything is so much harder building and planning on your own. One missing part or tool or bolt requires a all day trip to town, or stopping a project until you can get what you need to continue. I also am not as remote or living in such extreme conditions. I have mad respect for Mike because I wouldn't want to try what he is doing in his area. My easier area is difficult enough for me.

Grunf, I would like to see pictures or read about your wilderness retreat. It must be truly amazing. O you don't have pics? You don't have a retreat? Could you handle the constant criticism? Mike might not meet all his goals this year or even next year, but he is trying and also showing people his wins and losses. Which takes big balls.

Thanks Mike.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Grizzly Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2019, 12:34 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Guy View Post
Grunf, Rome wasn't built in a day. MMmike only has limited time each year to work on building. I believe he could stay in the bunker over winter but would rather get a above ground cabin completed for normal living. I wouldn't want to live all winter in a bunker unless I had to. Also he said he had town business to take care of.

MMMike, I am sorry if what I wrote above is not correct. I don't know your actual reasons so I am kinda guessing. No offense is intended.

I bought 10 acres of woods in a remote area a couple years back. My father ask me my plans this year in January. I showed him my list of what needs done. When I returned for Thanksgiving my father ask what I completed. In 10 months I have just started to make a dent to the list. Everything is so much harder building and planning on your own. One missing part or tool or bolt requires a all day trip to town, or stopping a project until you can get what you need to continue. I also am not as remote or living in such extreme conditions. I have mad respect for Mike because I wouldn't want to try what he is doing in his area. My easier area is difficult enough for me.

Grunf, I would like to see pictures or read about your wilderness retreat. It must be truly amazing. O you don't have pics? You don't have a retreat? Could you handle the constant criticism? Mike might not meet all his goals this year or even next year, but he is trying and also showing people his wins and losses. Which takes big balls.

Thanks Mike.
Thank you Grizzly Guy for a great post. And offense? You just posted the opposite of some, mainly the way grunf posts. You must have at least quickly read my posts since you got it almost perfect. I would rather get an above ground cabin built for "normal" living but my "cabin" for normal even what I would call fancy living is the camper trailer. It has more than I need such as Air conditioning and a refrigerator. I don't need either of those and I keep stuff inside the fridge to keep it from freezing as I did most of October and Nov.

I do have town business what I call city slicker business which I don't like to do but it is necessary. When I get it all done which could take until May or so to get Everything done even going to a doctor and dentist a bit more, but get it done and then I can mostly forget about doing more. Unless getting a drivers license and such which is not just a one time do it and be done.

And while I could IF necessary I also don't truly want to live in my underground all the time for months at a time. It is dark since it is almost totally underground - nine feet deep in the back. There is a possibly unbreakable window near the front steel door I also obtained from a junk yard etc. which gives light especially in the afternoon.

And here is what I have built so far. It is one of my "million" projects which is NOT true as one offensive poster posted. I have no more than 4 main projects and as anyone with land can likely affirm one does have more than enough work to do and more than enough projects to do on ones own land. Especially if one wishes to live on the land full time.

Here are some pics that you and a few others might not have seen. I was going to use this as a full time cabin but I have decided to make it into a greenhouse cabin possibly with a bed and definitely a woodstove in it. Although it is on my sunny hillside with windows facing east and south so plenty of sun shine. The sun does shine a lot especially hot on the hillside in the summer. I can and will run plastic pipe from my upper spring to this cabin. Lots to do and I will keep doing especially try to build the most in the snow free months. Here are more pics which Might be the last pics I post for quite a while >>>

Here is a photo of my steel beam cabin which I likely will just make into a very strong greenhouse storage visitors cabin. Two strong steel beams and many large logs make this possibly snowpack proof. Last winter was an unusually deep terribly heavy snowpack as some have told me but my bunker and this steel beam cabin all survived with No damage. >

The red beam shown is the steel I beam with ten large logs I put on top of two steel beams. It has survived 7 hard ten foot or so snow pack winters and possibly will survive another hundred winters.

The following pic shows the inside of the steel beam greenhouse cabin. The steel beam is black supported by 2x4's. I with WR's help slid the heavy steel beam across the 2x4's that late summer of 2014.

This is the back of the A-frame shed I built in 1990 by myself like usual. It has since gotten damaged some from the terribly heavy snow pack but is still standing as I saw this past summer of 2019.

This is the back trap door made from a salvaged steel door from a large tank from an abandoned factory. Finished this bunker mostly in 2006 began digging the 20 x 10 x 9 foot deep hole in 1995. I also built 4 sheds during that ten years and I built the half finished steel beam greenhouse cabin the summer of 2014 some with WR's help.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post: