F-35 Dogfight Criticisms laid to rest? - Page 14 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here

Old 10-12-2019, 09:13 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 66,795 Times in 20,467 Posts

Advertise Here

Eye candy

Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2019, 11:54 AM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 34,691 Times in 9,729 Posts

The photographer is not in a great position to capture the crazy manuvers.

In the late 1990s, I was learning rock climbing in tbe eastern sierra. At that time Navy, Air Force, and Marine pilots would cross the crest of the sierras, and attempt to enter China Lake air space, without getting detected by the radar array in our north range.

To do this they flew up the San Juaquin river valley (through Kings Canyon NP) rolled inverted and barely cleared the pass, then pulled down while inverted in either Whitney or Onion Valley. We were watching this from the mountain peaks several hundred feet above the planes.

Prior to the fall of the Soviets and the Berlin wall, we were all expecting a war with Russia, and this very dangerous training was actually encouraged.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2019, 12:18 PM
Militant Normal

Thanked 18,839 Times in 6,411 Posts

It was tacitly encouraged during WW2 training. Lot's of pilot stories about "rat-racing" at low level. D.i.ck. Bong once looped the Golden Gate bridge in a P-38, and he wasn't the only one. He was also disciplined for blowing a woman's laundry off her clothesline. Yeager told some good stories, too.

Ever see a Herc do a full vertical wingover? I once did while I was TDY at the Fort Worth Lockheed plant in 2007. Just a Reserve pilot having some fun, I guess. If a Herc can do that, I suppose it can do a full loop, too.