Are cell phones really that insecure.....?? - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Polite vs. Cell Phones PalmettoTree General Discussion 22 12-04-2017 10:53 AM
What is your plan to respond to trespassers/thieves/poachers when cell phones do not match Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 13 11-23-2017 05:34 AM

Old 01-12-2018, 01:58 PM
Is a great cartridge.

Thanked 5,386 Times in 1,671 Posts

Advertise Here

As I said I have never had a cell phone, and likely never will. I was sitting in the waiting area of a large dental office, there was about 14 and maybe 16 of us waiting. I was the only one reading a magazine, everyone else was doing something on their cell phone.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 6.8SPC For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2018, 02:02 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 64,219 Times in 15,110 Posts

I definitely relate to that. When I have to go to the dr. or some other situation where I have to sit and wait, I always take a magazine. I'm not about to touch the magazines in a dr office, God only knows what pathogens are on it. I take my own. And I'm also the only one looking at something other than a smart phone.

Magazine, or close my eyes and rest while waiting.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:42 PM
Survivor

Thanked 13,030 Times in 4,515 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D Young View Post
I have and use a smartphone (Galaxy S6), and when I can get the screen fixed on my old S4, it will be in my prep gear. Also have a really old S. Without the SIM cards, they cannot be used as phones, but can still do wifi connections, and most importantly, will run lots of useful prepper apps off-line.

Just my opinion.
Having worked for a cell phone mfg I am not aware of any cell phone that can respond to a signal if the battery (ies) are removed. Do you have any actual knowledge of some that can?
Old 01-12-2018, 02:57 PM
Survivor

Thanked 21,702 Times in 5,671 Posts

I have a smart phone provided by work. Which means it's constantly updated and reviewed by our IT group to meet certain standards.

Still, I limit the apps I put on it, I've gone through it to disable services and built in apps, plus turn off things like locations. I've read up and increased it's security and the security of any app through basic settings. I never take it anywhere I want privacy or use it with the expectation that it will be private.

The phone did completely lock up over Christmas when I was in the lowest level of a mall shopping with my daughter. It's like it couldn't figure out where it was in the world and the software crashed. I rebooted it in the car then it did the same thing at the next mall. I'd never noticed it before, because I haven't been to a mall in a decade.

I may try to put it in a metal ammo can in the basement and see if it goes nuts again. That may be an indication the phone's core software or an installed app doesn't like it when the phone can't be seen.

If it was my private phone, I'd root it and increase the security another level.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to InOmaha For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2018, 05:37 PM
off-grid organic farmer

Thanked 36,013 Times in 14,234 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 
Total Awards: 1

I use a flip-phone. I do not think that anyone can remotely install any software on it. Though it is digital, so it does have a GPS and 'people' [LEOs?] can access the phone's location.

I have been thinking about getting an Android knockoff. I like some of the apps that I have seen for the Android system.

Whatever you do, I think it is important to go through all of the setup options for any phone. Maybe once a month, just to review and to make sure that only the features you want are enabled.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:07 PM
Survivor

Thanked 13,216 Times in 4,810 Posts

My Samsung Convoy flip phone bit the dust last summer. I got one of the cheapest droids possible, $168. It works well, I don't use many of the apps that I could. I often leave it in the car if I have an appointment or am in the gym.

I sure as hell don't plug in into a PC at work and charge it. That got a couple of people booted at work which I don't fully understand. I use the wifi at work but am careful how I use the phone.

It is probably still an umbilical into letting the IT department see what's on it. But I still thing my GF looks good naked at age 63.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamfarticus View Post

I sure as hell don't plug in into a PC at work and charge it. That got a couple of people booted at work which I don't fully understand. I use the wifi at work but am careful how I use the phone.

It is probably still an umbilical into letting the IT department see what's on it.
If your company has a policy about unauthorized storage devices being connected to their computers, the phone would be seen as one and with the correct software logged as a security breach.
The Following User Says Thank You to Skinnyone For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2018, 10:06 PM
Trump=WhiteObama=BlkBush

Thanked 13,876 Times in 5,880 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjunky View Post
Small antenna.....?
Hey, there's no reason to insult the guy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Levant For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2018, 11:37 PM
Trump=WhiteObama=BlkBush

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.8SPC View Post
As I said I have never had a cell phone, and likely never will. I was sitting in the waiting area of a large dental office, there was about 14 and maybe 16 of us waiting. I was the only one reading a magazine, everyone else was doing something on their cell phone.
I know it's not exactly on topic but I really feel sorry for today's kids. We're going to have a bunch of sociopaths out of today's generation. Kids are raised with almost zero attention and affection from their mothers. I see kids with mom in the grocery store and mom shopping with the phone in her hand. I see mom at the doctor's office, kids in tow, phone in hand... All the places where mom had time to talk to her kids before is taken up with phone in hand. Tossing a little cutesy smile at a kid once in a while is not like having mom's undivided attention that my kids had and my grandkids got from their mothers.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:43 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 66,735 Times in 20,451 Posts

My cell phone is insecure. I tell it it's a pretty phone and a good phone, but alas, it still feels insecure. Maybe there is an APP that makes it feel more secure. Especially on those not so fresh days.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2018, 12:29 AM
Trump=WhiteObama=BlkBush

I worked in the Cellular business from the very first days before the first cellular systems went live in production. In our trade papers and industry presentations was the story of a cellular technician lost in Chicago and they couldn't find him for 2 days until engineers used the sector antenna systems of the cell towers to triangulate his location. No digital, no GPS, just pure analog radio. So tracking locations has been done since before the first production systems were opened for commercial use.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Levant For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2018, 11:02 AM
Militant Normal

Thanked 18,808 Times in 6,403 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D Young View Post
I have and use a smartphone (Galaxy S6), and when I can get the screen fixed on my old S4, it will be in my prep gear. Also have a really old S. Without the SIM cards, they cannot be used as phones, but can still do wifi connections, and most importantly, will run lots of useful prepper apps off-line.

Just my opinion.
Really old (i.e. analog) phones are no longer phones because the companies have stopped supporting the transmitters. Now it's all 4G and up or nothing.

Full disclosure: I have a Tracfone "flip phone" which has no GPS but does do text and allegedly will access the Web. I haven't tried either. It's there strictly for road emergencies, so I can call Triple A. It is always carried power-off and in an old metal Bandaid tin, (remember those?). Smartphones like my kids and grandkids all carry are an invitation to disaster. Daughter #1 has been hacked through her phone, and claims it was no big deal because LifeLock fixed everything. How did I raise such a complacent child???
The Following User Says Thank You to The Old Coach For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2018, 11:08 AM
Militant Normal

Thanked 18,808 Times in 6,403 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
My cell phone is insecure. I tell it it's a pretty phone and a good phone, but alas, it still feels insecure. Maybe there is an APP that makes it feel more secure. Especially on those not so fresh days.
Bring it flowers and chocolates, and send it to a beauty spa once every two or three months.

(BTW it'll be OK to eat the chocolates yourself when it isn't looking.)
The Following User Says Thank You to The Old Coach For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2018, 11:38 AM
Perspective provider.

Thanked 5,715 Times in 2,594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurToy View Post
Cell phones by themselves are only part of the security risk. Hackers can infect you phone with viral programs that record other accounts you access such as bank accounts, steal passwords and drain your account. You need to use good anti-virus software and every account must have a separate pass word, and also good to have bank accounts with different email addresses than what you use for internet searches, ordering, email, constantly monitor all your accounts, sign up for credit monitoring service, freeze your credit reports, etc, etc. I have been reading up on this stuff and it is scary how many ways you can get hacked and have money or credit, even fake loans and mortgages on your home created without you ever knowing it.
No, the problem isn't "hackers", the problem is idiots inputting their information such as bank accounts, passwords, logins in any screen which asks.

Someone who "hacks" my smartphone, will get euhm, some pictures of my friends, none of which are incriminating and most of which are put online somewhere by them.

Maybe they can get my text messages too, basically amounting to: hey, got time tonight, want to have a drink?
The Following User Says Thank You to IC_Rafe For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2018, 12:42 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinnyone View Post
If your company has a policy about unauthorized storage devices being connected to their computers, the phone would be seen as one and with the correct software logged as a security breach.
Most likely. There have been warnings that went unheeded and now they're even more strict especially with outside email accounts. They claim this is where spam and viruses come from.
The Following User Says Thank You to Iamfarticus For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2018, 12:45 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_Rafe View Post
No, the problem isn't "hackers", the problem is idiots inputting their information such as bank accounts, passwords, logins in any screen which asks.

Someone who "hacks" my smartphone, will get euhm, some pictures of my friends, none of which are incriminating and most of which are put online somewhere by them.

Maybe they can get my text messages too, basically amounting to: hey, got time tonight, want to have a drink?
I don't use my phone to bank or do any other money transactions. Those I do from work (non work hours) or at home.

Look through mine, you get a lot of car and cat pictures, maybe some of the GF and places we go. I don't keep many texts around for too long.
The Following User Says Thank You to Iamfarticus For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2018, 01:50 PM
Trump=WhiteObama=BlkBush

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Coach View Post
Really old (i.e. analog) phones are no longer phones because the companies have stopped supporting the transmitters. Now it's all 4G and up or nothing.

Full disclosure: I have a Tracfone "flip phone" which has no GPS but does do text and allegedly will access the Web. I haven't tried either. It's there strictly for road emergencies, so I can call Triple A. It is always carried power-off and in an old metal Bandaid tin, (remember those?). Smartphones like my kids and grandkids all carry are an invitation to disaster. Daughter #1 has been hacked through her phone, and claims it was no big deal because LifeLock fixed everything. How did I raise such a complacent child???
GPS or not, back in the day they could pinpoint you to within 200 feet but there were fewer cell sites to triangulate and less sophisticated signal analysis examining the sector antenna receive signals. I'm sure they can get you much closer today.
The Following User Says Thank You to Levant For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2018, 02:02 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,378 Times in 1,052 Posts

Quote:
When I have to go to the dr. or some other situation where I have to sit and wait, I always take a magazine.
the loal public library has a share a book drop box. I pick up all National Geographics and drop them at the laundromat and the doctors waiting rooms. I tell the laundromat ladies to release them 3 at a time; it reduces theft.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:49 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,143 Times in 2,871 Posts

Yep, that phone is your very own personal tracking and surveillance device. And rather than the government having to round everyone up and forcibly install monitoring devices, you actually all got conned into going out and dropping $500 bucks or more to install your own.
The Following User Says Thank You to NY Min For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2019, 11:12 PM
Clinton's Hitman

Thanked 2,942 Times in 1,602 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleKitty View Post
They probably could if they wanted.

I remember reading about infinity transmitters in "Strangers" and I have never trusted a telephone since.

You also need to be careful what photos you're taking, as that can be accessed even by an app.
Curious about "Strangers" Movie? Book?

Infinity transmitters require physical access to the telephone instrument. The CIA worked out a better technique of pumping a radio frequency carrier into a standard phone and it would turn the microphone into a miniature AM transmitter.