Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SHTF Handgun Size? Jacket67 Pistol and Revolver Forum 82 11-15-2018 10:12 AM
Why the switch to 9mm? Marlin94 Firearms General Discussion 280 09-22-2017 07:29 PM
Discreet Handgun Carry Modes AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 03-22-2017 08:00 PM
The 1980s Was A Handgun Revolution AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 02-15-2017 12:00 AM
Precise Handgun Trigger Control AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 11-14-2016 07:30 PM

Old 01-08-2018, 06:46 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,889 Posts

Advertise Here

This will sound odd, but after carrying perhaps a dozen guns in the last 40 years I've settled on a Glock 21. I have small hands and the 21 puts my first joint right on the trigger. (I looked for a year or so for a used 20 but never found one) In the warmer months
i carry it in my front jeans pocket covered by a long T-shirt. In colder months it rests on the slide in my chore coat. It's utterly reliable.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steve marshall For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2018, 08:21 PM
Eh kay vs eh are dood!

Thanked 3,832 Times in 1,624 Posts

I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 3,000 rounds through it without a single malfunction. I can also hit a man size target at 100 yards with it.
Striker fired double stack 9mm, fits my hand well, decent trigger, and I can't get it to rust.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:38 PM
Originalist

Thanked 1,446 Times in 589 Posts

I've never enjoyed handguns like I enjoy rifles. I've shot a lot of them but none of them really get me excited outside of a Colt SAA or 1911. I grew up around the old surplus stuff so maybe that's why. They end up being mostly just a tool for me. I have a Springfield 1911 MilSpec for a full size and I got it mostly because that's what I grew up shooting and I have a high degree of proficiency with it. The weight makes it nice to shoot with low felt recoil for .45 ACP. For everyday carry it's not practical for me and I carry an M&P Shield 9MM. Single stack makes it comfortable for me. It's compact enough to conceal in almost any circumstance yet it has a long enough grip to hold comfortably and maintain maximum control. The trigger isn't crisp but it's good enough to get what I need out of it. After training myself to use the trigger affectively I can make accurate shots beyond self defense range. It is also extremely reliable. I've never had a malfunction with it using many different types of ammo. It was also quite affordable to purchase. It seems like the best combination of things that were important to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (meaning my post is likely full of poor typing and autocorrects using wrong words)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ColoradoMinuteMan For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2018, 05:10 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,200 Times in 1,392 Posts

I conceal carry a CZ-82. I shoot it more accurately than other pistols I've tried, it isn't overly expensive to feed, it was dirt cheap when I bought it ($240) and it has proven completely reliable over several years.

I open carry a Browning Hi Power. I'm almost as accurate with it as I am with the cz, it has more power than the cz, and it is cheap to feed. I've only had a few malfunctions (i.e. stovepipes) with it over thirty some years of using every brand of ammo imaginable.

They work for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fenrell For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2018, 06:23 PM
Cave canem

Thanked 11,111 Times in 3,864 Posts

My favorite is the Ruger SR40C. I love it because it fits well in my hand and has a natural point of aim, the trigger is smooth, it has a big pop-up chamber loaded flag (good for in the dark), a deep beaver tail to protect the shooters hands from the slide, and it switches from 9 rounds (for cc) to 16 rounds instantly with just a swap of the magazine.

Plus Ruger customer service is the absolute best!
The Following User Says Thank You to S610 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2018, 11:03 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,015 Times in 2,215 Posts

I like modern polymer, striker-fired 9mms. In evaluating pistols for concealed carry, these have the best combination of size, weight, ammunition capacity, and ammunition effectiveness. That's the basic criteria I use, most of these guns are as small as you can make a gun that still fires a good round.

After that, it just comes down to personal preference. How well you like the controls, trigger, sights, how it feels, and how well you can shoot it. After evaluating that, it comes down to the Glock 19 for me. But I do not feel that Glock is inherently superior to perhaps 6-10 similar guns. They all have basically the same characteristics. It's just that for me personally, Glock happens to fit and shoot the best.
The Following User Says Thank You to BlasphemousBill For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2018, 12:29 PM
Prepared

I prefer the Browning Hi-Power. It fits comfortably in my hand and I shoot it better than anything else.
The Following User Says Thank You to Black Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2018, 12:52 PM

GLOCK 19.I am retired LEO.. Have had this one since 1995 reliable/ indestructable.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Prepgirl2 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2018, 01:20 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,608 Times in 3,746 Posts

Beretta 92FS for its open top design and reliability. The 92FS is large for a 9mm pistol which soaks up some of the recoil making it pleasant to shoot.

The 1911 for it's large bore diameter and classic lines. With modern ammunition it's a real thumper.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peter For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2018, 03:58 PM
Tactical Sommelier

Thanked 1,371 Times in 426 Posts

I am not sure if this counts as an "objective reason" but--

I am generally a Glock Guy. To make a long story short, I fired my first shots at the age of 6, with my father's duty (as a "plainclothes" Detective Lieutenant) S&W 36 in the back yard... we THINK there was a few times I shot when I was 5, but we think he might have been holding my hands as I held the gun and squeezed the trigger, but definitely we both remember the times I shot at 6 all by myself. A year later, his dept. was going to initiate a switch to semi-automatics, and about 1/2-1 yr after, his dept. became one of the very first in the entire US to adopt the Glock ( we think his dept might have been the first to receive the brand-new "2nd Generations" which in his case were Glock 19s straight-up. If you do some research, you'll find early depts and agencies have lettered slides and stamped guns "ABC Police Dept." and "DEF Sherrif" etc. His dept. actually adopted BEFORE they were available like that.) ... and I soon shot his new Glock 19, and only a few years later, they decided to follow the FBI and adopt the .40 S&W (which was *extremely* popular with LEOs in its infancy, it was THE ROUND, *THE FBI ROUND* etc.)

I grew up shooting his guns and other family guns -- but when I finally decided it was time to start *my own* collection, naturally I bought a Glock. (A Gen 3 G23). I now EDC a Gen 4 G27 since I live in a friendly-state (having grown up and spent my first 33 years in a terrible state w/o CCW.)

I will be honest with people -- I love EVERYTHING about Glocks except actually shooting them. I am not very good firing a Glock, just don't know why. I much prefer a 9mm Sig Sauer P226 or of course love .45 5" 1911s.... I fire them much better. But Glocks are the most reliable handguns in the world, and .40 S&W is not just my "family caliber", it's a great compromise. Also, I am only 5'8" and 145lbs on a bad day, and I can't barely CCW a G23 because of lack of body-real estate, so a 226 or 1911 is not possible for EDC. Even a 229 or Commander 1911 is bigger and heavier than a Glock.

In essence, if I was a member of Delta Force or a SEAL, going to war, I might carry (openly, obviously) a 1911 or P226. But for EDC, I'm a Glock Guy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tAKticool For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2018, 04:32 PM
"This is my Boomstick!"

Thanked 1,334 Times in 732 Posts

I prefer my Walther PPQ M2 Navy over many other handguns on the market due to the amazing trigger, Ergonomics, accuracy and reliability. It serves as my main Home Defense Handgun.

I prefer my Walther PPS M2 as my daily carry gun because of the ergonomics, higher capacity, accuracy and reliability.

I may sound like a Walther fanboy but I am not as I own other handguns that are not made by Walther. I used to carry HK, Beretta, IWI, Sig and S&W. I prefer Walther for the reasons stated above.

Once in a bluemoon during the hot summer months I may carry my Wife's Glock 42 loaded with Underwood Xtreme Defense .380 ammo when I need to dress light as it is extremely concealable.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jager78 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2018, 04:32 PM
Trapper

I carry a Glock 17 all the time. I carry it because of these reasons.

1. It has always worked and never given me any issues,
2. I feel the 9mm will do a find job defending me and my family
3. 17 rounds in the mag should be more then enough any see me through any encounter (not a SHTF event)
4. I don't want to remember to flip a switch or lever I just know I point and pull the trigger.

I have other calibers and styles of pistols but I always choose the Glock now for the above reasons. I have carried a few other pistols over the years but I like the Glock the best and have carried it 90% of the time.

I have been known to carry extra mags from time to time also.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to warhawk-77 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2018, 07:12 PM

I have had a beretta since the military first went to them. I served in USMC

i have shot over 30k rounds never and issue. just got a new one last fall.

I also have 357 revolver. about 8k rounds thru it no issued there either.

I feel safe and secure with either.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hobbes For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2018, 09:11 PM
Target Shooter

I have two semi auto pistols at the moment. a Glock 22 and a RIA G.I. fs 1911. I bought both of these guns as they are the standard of all pistols. Saying that, I mean every pistol out there took design ques from these two guns.

I for one love both these pistols. equally. Both have a unique feel. And I bought these two to learn to smith on. Common guns that would come into a gun shop. Next I may buy an M&P as those seem to be gaining popularity. But that'll be in the future.

I for one love all firearms. even the made in the basement guns. it's about design and functionality with me.

This is why I chose what I did for go to pistols.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pinetreescent For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2018, 10:12 PM

Glock 26 for me for many reasons. 9mm is cheap to stock up on and common, the gun is small enough that itís really easy to conceal but still big enough that its comfortable to shoot, accurate and reliable, parts and aftermarket are readily available. Magazine compatability with the larger 9mm glocks
The Following User Says Thank You to HuntandTrap97 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2018, 01:52 AM

Glock 19 because it feels so good in my hand and accepts other magazines.
The Following User Says Thank You to nurtlh For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2018, 02:00 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,985 Times in 2,146 Posts
Default Why do you prefer the handgun you do?

I prefer this cheap simple basic reliable muzzle compensated Ruger because it's recoiless and easy to shoot offhand.

Greg
The Following User Says Thank You to manimalist For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2018, 05:35 PM
Prepared

Ruger SP101 4" in .327, basically I like the 32's, it will shoot,32s&w,32 s&w long,32 acp,32 H&R,and of course .327mag, small enough to carry, enough barrel I can hit what I'm shooting at for a reasonable range,light loads are great squirrel medicine,heavier loads are great for coyotes, full fledged hot .327 is enough for anything I'll run across in my neck of the woods,if you order online and watch ammo sales its even very affordable to shoot
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to old-grunt For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2018, 10:14 PM
Jedi Prepper

M&P line, American made. Reliable, accurate, extremely ergonomic, feel great, look great and awesome aftermarket support.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to addictedhealer For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2018, 03:07 AM
American fearmaker

Thanked 27,319 Times in 8,796 Posts

To me a pistol is a tool. I have different tools to do different jobs. Because of this I carry different pistols at different times. My main carry gun is a Glock 19 because it gives me 15 rounds of 9 mm diplomacy in a compact form and it is accurate. When I need a flat, thin pistol I carry either my Springfield Armory XDS or my Smith & Wesson Shield in 9 mm.

All 3 of my pistols are accurate and function without any flaws to them. The most accurate of the 3 pistols is the XDS. That pistol is so accurate it is spooky. The Shield fits my hand the best of the 3 pistols. The Glock 19 holds the most ammo. So there is a trade-off as far as each pistol is concerned. But about 90% of the time I carry my Glock 19.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Herd Sniper For This Useful Post: