Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SHTF Handgun Size? Jacket67 Pistol and Revolver Forum 82 11-15-2018 10:12 AM
Why the switch to 9mm? Marlin94 Firearms General Discussion 280 09-22-2017 07:29 PM
Discreet Handgun Carry Modes AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 03-22-2017 08:00 PM
The 1980s Was A Handgun Revolution AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 02-15-2017 12:00 AM
Precise Handgun Trigger Control AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 11-14-2016 07:30 PM

Old 01-07-2018, 05:16 PM
Survivor

Thanked 17,696 Times in 7,408 Posts
Default Why do you prefer the handgun you do?

Advertise Here

When people post a preference be it semi-auto vs. revolver or make vs. make or model vs corresponding models, seldom does anyone make the case as to why. I mostly assume it is because that is the one they own.

People are more clear when they do not like a particular gun. They have had a problem and this gives us all a heads up.

I would like to see post below with objective reasons why you prefer one or more guns.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PalmettoTree For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2018, 05:24 PM
Survivor

Thanked 18,638 Times in 3,592 Posts

Glock 17L - it is a Glock and love the long barrel and sight radius. Super accurate and feels perfect balance for me. That and the upgraded trigger on the 17L.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to 223shootersc For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2018, 05:34 PM
Awesome

Thanked 22,197 Times in 7,396 Posts

i prefer two handguns.. one is my CZ 75 SP01.. i prefer it because its about the only steel frame double stack 9mm still produced, has a reputation for quality, reliability, and accuracy, and the SP01 version with the rail lets me mount a light for home defense

the makarov PM i use for EDC is preferred because its probably the most reliable handgun currently in existence while delivering a cartridge more than adequate for defense while still being compact and light enough to carry daily, the straight blowback will be less prone to certain issues recoil operated pistols have, and overall greatly simplifies the design into something that in all likeliness will last forever

my next pistol i am leaning towards a custom G19L build (g19 frame with G17 slide/barrel) and the reason i am interested in that one is it gives you better accuracy, more slide mass is great for reliability, i like a longer slide for an open carry/duty/combat pistol while the shorter G19 length frame is compatible with more magazines (both G19 and G17).. replacement parts and aftermarket is literally everywhere for them as well and will be a better shtf option than a CZ when it comes to having to acquire spare parts for repairs
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to justin22885 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2018, 05:49 PM
LGM30F Little Helper

Because I can count on German made reliability out of the box. No break-in, no guess work, and no returns.

They just plain work. Every time, all the time.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MichaelE For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2018, 06:01 PM
Gettin By

Thanked 1,589 Times in 657 Posts

As far as semi-auto's go for me it's either a 1911 or a Glock. My reason for these choices is pure and simple, availability of parts. I can get just about any part for any gun in good times. But I can heavily stock up on parts for the 1911 and Glock's at very little expense.
My picture of EOTWAWKI I may be cut off from support for a long time. If parts are needed and I don't already have them I won't be getting them. Yes I do own guns that I don't stock parts for but these are not ones I rely on. They are for the most part shooting toys and if they break and I can't get parts, Oh well.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Blackrock For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2018, 06:02 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,534 Times in 521 Posts

Revolvers give me the feeling of reliability and confidence. I started under Dad’s training with a Colt revolver and a Colt 1911. The revolver was easier to draw a bead. True old style combat sights on a Gov 1911 were minute.

As a kid I flinched at the 45 acp recoil, leter learned to master it. The 38s were easy and I had better mastery of the wheel gun.

So since then, many autos and revolvers later I still slide a revolver into my holster every day. Now if the Zombies start walking, all bets are off, I go straight for the mini-gun.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jframe For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2018, 06:10 PM
Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jframe View Post
Revolvers give me the feeling of reliability and confidence. I started under Dadís training with a Colt revolver and a Colt 1911. The revolver was easier to draw a bead. True old style combat sights on a Gov 1911 were minute.

As a kid I flinched at the 45 acp recoil, leter learned to master it. The 38s were easy and I had better mastery of the wheel gun.

So since then, many autos and revolvers later I still slide a revolver into my holster every day. Now if the Zombies start walking, all bets are off, I go straight for the mini-gun.
those old single actions colts certainly do give you the feeling of confidence, it might be that perfect combination of balance and pointability
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to justin22885 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2018, 06:20 PM

I learned on a J frame snubnose, I'm good with one and it doesn't feel like I am carrying a brick all day long. I actually carry 2.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to HappyPappy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2018, 06:36 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,939 Times in 2,513 Posts

I dont really prefer one pistol over the other I prefer features and quality construction

I like
smooth creepless triggers
good sights
moderate recoil
moderate magazine capacity

but generally what i roll with is determined by the situation

I do like CZ prolly my favorite out of the box gun maker in a reasonable price range

glocks
sigs
revolvers I like ruger
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to богдан For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2018, 06:49 PM
Survivor

Thanked 10,876 Times in 4,416 Posts

The past 20 years or so, SIG's and then Glocks have been my choices. They work out of the box, with no break in, and just keep going without issue.

The main reason for switching from SIG to Glock, was simple economics. More guns and accessories for the $$. Commonality of cheap mags is also a big plus.

Revolvers, Ive always liked S&W's, and especially DAO guns, and thats really never wavered.

Ive owned Colts and others, but they just never seemed to have what it takes to push the S&W's out of first place.

As much as I like and shoot the revolvers, I still prefer the autos over them.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to AK103K For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2018, 07:16 PM
Survivor

Thanks everyone. Keep it going. Learning lots. Bonus easy to see which positives for some might not be positives for me. That is an important objective fact we all must come to grips with. There are at least two guns I'm sorry I don't already have.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PalmettoTree For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2018, 07:23 PM
Looks like rain to me.

Thanked 44,292 Times in 26,242 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

1. It fits my hand. I can manipulate the controls without altering my grip. Mag release, slide stop, hammer drop (one of them has one). This is most important reason.

2. I shoot it very well. It is comfortable and I can pick up the sights very quickly.

3. It is very reliable. One has over 10,000 rounds through it without a hiccup that wasn’t my fault. It will feed an empty, resized casing.

4. I can carry it comfortably.

Is really does not matter the make and model, it has to fit these 4 requirements.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to SgtBooker44 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2018, 07:27 PM
Survivor

Thanked 13,151 Times in 4,246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoTree View Post
When people post a preference be it semi-auto vs. revolver or make vs. make or model vs corresponding models, seldom does anyone make the case as to why. I mostly assume it is because that is the one they own.

People are more clear when they do not like a particular gun. They have had a problem and this gives us all a heads up.

I would like to see post below with objective reasons why you prefer one or more guns.
I have multiple guns that I like for different purposes ... well into double digits, but focusing on guns that I spend the most time with and/or view as the most valuable for defensive purposes, as I assume that's the primary focus for the question:

Kimber Solo - my EDC. I like it because it disappears in a pocket, is 9mm, the design doesnt snag on fabric, the sights are decent/I am fairly accurate with it, and it's metal. It also was (IMO) a very good-looking gun when I got it, but the frame finish hasn't held up well.

Glock 19 Gen 4 - spends a lot of time in my car console. I like it because it's very capable and reliable, offers more capacity than the Solo, but is still fairly compact.

SIG P226 - primary home defense handgun. I can be very accurate with this gun at self-defense ranges, even relatively long ranges. Good capacity and I like the controls. Feels solid and high-quality. Runs like a top with any ammunition I have tried in it.

Long guns:

Iver Johnson M1 Carbine - I may be the only person on this board who will say that an Iver Johnson product is a primary home defense gun, but, it's reliable, handy, powerful enough but not to the point that I think overpenetration is a big concern, good capacity.

AR-15 (one I built, mainly using Aero parts) - A bit more powerful than the M1 Carbine and with with more flexibility for how to to set it up (light, laser etc).

Remington 870 Police Magnum - works great, smooth, high-quality. Mine was made in 1989. Not sure I'd have faith in a new one.

I will end it there, but I haven't even mentioned most of my actual favorites as far as collectibles or what I enjoy the most at the range. WWII stuff, skeet gun, trapdoor etc.

To me, it's not really about liking or disliking a gun. It's about liking or disliking a gun for a particular use.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to jknova For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2018, 07:30 PM
Survivor

Thanked 21,310 Times in 5,945 Posts

MY EDC is a Taurus 45ACP PT 1911 AR full size, 1/2 the weight. feels very natural in either hand and is very accurate right out of the box. JMHO
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TENNGRIZZ For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2018, 07:36 PM
Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoTree View Post
Thanks everyone. Keep it going. Learning lots. Bonus easy to see which positives for some might not be positives for me. That is an important objective fact we all must come to grips with. There are at least two guns I'm sorry I don't already have.
what are those that you wish you had?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to justin22885 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2018, 07:43 PM
Survivor

Thanked 23,619 Times in 9,203 Posts

The .40 M&P Shield tucked into the waterbed next to me? Because it is what I have for that purpose. Also it meets all my criteria, lightweight, compact, reliable, thumb safety.

The Highpoint C9 in my BOV? Tough, reliable, cheap, thumb safety.

Yes, I have a Ruger GP100 in .357 Mag but I just don't particularly care for revolvers, so it is just a novelty pistol, never been fired.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NCalHippie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2018, 08:18 PM
Survivor

Thanked 23,600 Times in 5,838 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jknova View Post
I have multiple guns that I like for different purposes ... well into double digits, but focusing on guns that I spend the most time with and/or view as the most valuable for defensive purposes, as I assume that's the primary focus for the question:

Kimber Solo - my EDC. I like it because it disappears in a pocket, is 9mm, the design doesnt snag on fabric, the sights are decent/I am fairly accurate with it, and it's metal. It also was (IMO) a very good-looking gun when I got it, but the frame finish hasn't held up well.

Glock 19 Gen 4 - spends a lot of time in my car console. I like it because it's very capable and reliable, offers more capacity than the Solo, but is still fairly compact.

SIG P226 - primary home defense handgun. I can be very accurate with this gun at self-defense ranges, even relatively long ranges. Good capacity and I like the controls. Feels solid and high-quality. Runs like a top with any ammunition I have tried in it.
Since I regularly train with several, models similar to the above are part of my regular rotation. Substitute the SIS for the Solo, and Gen 3 for the Gen 4. To that, add the P220 as well as the P226, Glock 17 and as of late the M&P 2.0. Oh, and the Glock 41 Gen 4. So I train with 7 all with the same objective: SD and PP.

I don't want to get locked into one and only one and have it have an issue where spare parts may not be readily available. Also, thanks to the changes in the CMP rules for pistol matches, some of what I train with is also CMP legal. One of my objectives is to earn a Distinguished Pistol tab to go with the Distinguished Rifle. Since a lot of my training is at 25 yards I will eventually narrow it down to one of the approved handguns and from there begin to work on shooting at 50 yards.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AZ_HighCountry For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2018, 08:56 PM
Survivor

Thanked 58,860 Times in 19,090 Posts

Now when you say "prefer":

I PREFER 1911's, Hi Powers, and Prelock S&W's because they have great triggers (P35's need a little TLC first), are sex as hell, feel good, shoot well, and did I mention sex as hell?!?!!!!

I CARRY/use glocks. (Currently wearing a 23 and 27) even though they are ugly, interchangeable, have no soul, not as accurate, trigger is NO WHERE NEAR as nice (did mention ugly?) And don't feel as good.
Why you ask?
They work, are durable, and they are accurate ENOUGH. (Subcompact yealds "several" hit's on chest-sized steel at 100 per 9-10 round mag)
And (big one when I joined the dark side) the 23 and 27 (or back then 19 and 26) share magazines.

Big improvement from my 1911 and 649 (.357 shrouded hammer J frame)
-I also shot a lot better with the 26 vs 649.

Buddy of mine is an HK snob (I've owned quite a few, still have a couple) and he admits the price point gains him nothing in practical accuracy or reliability.

A M&P with an apex trigger would do fine, but not without, I was already into glocks, and don't have to make modifications of they come with NS.

It's a hammer, a 1911 or a nice Smith is a premium sportscar.

Don't need a fancy hammer.

I'm sure I'm butchering Col Cooper (again) but he said something along the lines of: "sites you can see, and a trigger you can use"

Hand me anything that's of decent quality and I can make it work, but the parts/mags/durability of the glock make it simple, and If I can't have a good single action trigger I perfer repeatable vs the 2 different triggers of a traditional DA (although again.... I can make it work.)
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2018, 09:15 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin22885 View Post
what are those that you wish you had?
A Glock and a 1911. Both have been represented here positively. I have always opted for easy carry size and weight which keeps me passing them up.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PalmettoTree For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2018, 09:27 PM

I carry a glock 43 , it’s comfortable and easy to conceal and with the Taran Tactical +3 mag extension I’m still legal here in CT
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Twenty2z For This Useful Post: