Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My thoughts on INCH kits Jerry D Young Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 99 08-11-2019 10:58 AM
Prepping in a big city apartment - Priorities? 82Blazer Urban Survival 72 04-22-2018 10:14 PM
Food storage fats, oils, and essential fatty acids NY Min Food and water 53 12-30-2017 02:15 PM
Wise to rethink your food supplies doing heavy labor. bunkerbuster Food and water 56 10-02-2017 06:29 PM
Storage container advice bounty Australia and New Zealand 6 03-24-2017 11:58 PM

Old 11-10-2017, 09:58 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,011 Times in 419 Posts
Default Storage container build

Advertise Here

It has taken ten years after committing and finally doing. I have wanted to do a container build for a very long time. Eventually I get around to things that are seriously planned. Just not always in a timely manner. Anyway is this the correct place to post on the build? Is there enough interest from everyone? I am assuming I need to get a few more posts before being able to ad pics. I joined some years ago and never really had anything worth adding. Just a long time lurker. But I am getting a lot going together on the container. Hopefully will get it close to livable in not too many months. Anyway let me know. I dont have a fancy smart phone or high end laptop, tablet or whatever they are called these days. Nothing wireless but a simple flip phone. But I can at least do a little surfing when needing some information. Let me know what you think.
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2017, 10:07 PM
ICBM Warrior

I'm interested in hearing how you plan on building it out. How many containers? Foundation? Insulation? While i know everything has a spec associated with in, I prefer to see how things really work.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jeff_k For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2017, 10:33 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 24,317 Times in 8,924 Posts

I think you get privileges at like 5 posts.

I can't see surfing with a flip phone, and I have one. The library is a better option, even a few hundred bucks for a chrome book to use at free wifi hot spots.

I think people would like to see your solution to container builds.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2017, 11:17 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 6,932 Times in 2,179 Posts

I have had a few containers. Either replace the Luan wood floor or seal it. I used a two part epoxy from Sherwin Williams
Those floors are saturated with pesticides
Friend had two on his property that he built out and rented them. He did a nice job, they had nice interiors.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jack Swilling For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2017, 11:53 PM
Hiker

I am kind of excited about finally getting to do this. All of the building materials are used or surplus. The container will not be distinguishable after finished. This is going to be my permanent living domicile when done. Soon as the container is livable, will be adding a small work shop for the machinery I have on hand. Then the storage and garage area for larger projects will be last.

I already have most all of the materials and much more than needed of some to completely build this container. The interior will be finished out over time.

I dont use a flip phone to surf. It is the only wireless convenience I have. I finally changed my landline to a router for internet and use existing landline phones. Well I guess that makes it wireless now too. Like voice over IP.

I like older phones from their first inception all the way thru WW2. Its easy to wire up the old wooden phones(local battery) on a large plot of family property to have your own phone system between homes. Private and wont go south during power outages or poles down. Might be a little old school for most anybody nowadays. Especially anyone growing up on just cell phones.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to fordtrucksforever For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2017, 11:57 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Swilling View Post
Either replace the Luan wood floor or seal it. I used a two part epoxy from Sherwin Williams
Those floors are saturated with pesticides.
I have already pressure washed the existing flooring of the container. It didnt help a whole lot from the smell. But at the time it was closed up out in direct sunlight all summer. It will be either epoxyed or urethaned before the new flooring will be installed over it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fordtrucksforever For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2017, 12:06 AM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_k View Post
I'm interested in hearing how you plan on building it out. How many containers? Foundation? Insulation? While i know everything has a spec associated with in, I prefer to see how things really work.
I am only using one 20 foot container. But adding to that for a much larger footprint. Everything is steel construction and welded together. It will also be a fairly conventional two story layout. Aside from using steel throughout the build.
Old 11-11-2017, 01:46 PM
Rouge Lemming

I have a container at work that I use for storage. Its hot in the summer and cold in the winter. By the time you add enough insulation to keep it comfortable. You will lose quite a bit of room on the inside. If there's a way to insulate the outside and under the floor it would save your interior space. Building a cover over it to block the sun would help too.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to scatter cat For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2017, 03:38 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatter cat View Post
I have a container at work that I use for storage. Its hot in the summer and cold in the winter. By the time you add enough insulation to keep it comfortable. You will lose quite a bit of room on the inside. If there's a way to insulate the outside and under the floor it would save your interior space. Building a cover over it to block the sun would help too.
That was one of the issues with the hot/cold condensation that plagued me. But way ahead on this already. Will not loose any interior space at all.

Initially I planned to spray foam both inside and outside. Then trim it back flat and install R panels on outside. The R panels would have an air gap. But scrapped all that. It was too expensive and would involve outside intervention to do the work. Looking into the DIY spray foam kits would have been several thousand bucks too.
Old 11-11-2017, 05:07 PM
ICBM Warrior

How did you/are you solving the condensation issue? For me, that's been the largest issue. Have thought about "wrapping" exterior with straw bales. some ask, then why not build a straw bale house? Answer, wrapping isn't "structural".
The Following User Says Thank You to jeff_k For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2017, 11:01 PM
Hiker

Ok it is time for the build to make paper. While I am sorting thru the pics and write captions for them, its time to add some filler material. Here is some bloviated blog material that I figured would never make print. Just some long winded excuse for word count.

You gotta ask when a storage container is no longer a storage container when building from it as a base line. There are tons of builds all over the world using storage containers. Most of them keep the outside shape and finish when complete. Many dont even paint over the markings left from previous use. How much of the container has to be changed to no longer be considered a storage container? How much removal of components needs to be done before the container doesnt exist? If you cover the exterior with other materials, does the container eventually go away? If you see a small cabin out somewhere and say how nice and simple that looks. It doesnt appear like it took too much to build that. But if you start looking around closer, it is obviously a storage container. Or at least started out its first life as one.

Why use a storage container? Because its what everyone that has no clue how to build or actually do anything outside of their mundane lives talks about. They have become very popular to use. A simple project that can involve relatively nothing more than setting one on the ground and call it a cabin. Initially the container looks like a very simple way to start a build out somewhere. You at least have a building of sorts to start with. If you never turned a screw or lit a cutting torch, the container is still there and definitely not going anywhere anytime in the immediate future. If all of your ideas fade away in the back of your noggin, that container still sits there awaiting a face lift from you. If you do nothing with it, there is still a container you can store things in. Thats a start, right?

I hope thats not the case I chose one. The most difficult part doing such a project of this magnitude is actually getting started. So many people that attempt this type of project will spend tons of time researching and envisioning what the finished product is going to look like. Collecting pictures of others projects to use as reference is a good start, but will never get you off the ground. Then the next step is spending a fortune purchasing tools and equipment that may or not be needed. How many times have I heard someone telling me wanting to make sure they have everything needed before the actual construction starts. I find that is not the best way to proceed. Spending money is one of the more exciting parts of starting a project like this, but rarely gets anyone much farther than racking a large balance on their credit card, and end up more in debt after the fact with nothing to show most of the time.

After looking into so many ways to construct a cabin that would be built as my permanent residence when finished, I ended up choosing a storage container for one simple reason. OK are you ready for this??? I wanted something as a solid foundation to start building from. Otherwise I would have built a home by conventional means and materials. Does it make sense now?

Making the decision to use a storage container, I already have a building that can be secured as is sitting anywhere I end up choosing. Another reason for going with this container, is wanting to use metal throughout its construction. Wow what a big load off my shoulders. I finally said it. Now its time to follow thru with all of this babbling and actually make a commitment to start the build. However it may be, the time is now to get started.

After several years have past now, I have gone thru hundreds of pages full of ideas that were all scrapped. Over a year was spent not just in casual thought trying to narrow down what I really wanted in a structure. Originally tried to keep the design within the confines of container dimensions. That ended up as a completely unrealistic target. Starting with a smaller container, which measures 8' X 20', my first sketches kept within this footprint. By conventional thinking to try including all of the basics to sustain simple and comfortable living. But it wasnt very long before realizing all of this work would fall short of my goal. I wanted some decent space to stretch out, but not so much that would be costly to maintain throughout the year. Costly at this point is anything that requires a steady income.

It was easy enough to sketch out some interesting plans that included all of the basics. But became an education from my lack of knowledge for designing around a structure like this to live in. After finalizing the first generation of floor plans, it became obvious the limitations that would be faced. In case I didnt have some type of backup power source, long term water, and basics to heat/cool, all this would be in vain. Think about being locked up for long term in just a single room without windows or any other conveniences you have now. Even tho you can come and go as you please...assuming the end of days is not already upon us, that could turn to hell in a very short time. A plea for insanity.

Now for the second generation of plans that emerged. Originally it was staying within the footprint of an 8x20 storage container. I was able to get living, sleeping, storage, cooking and bathing in a small container. It just didnt leave much, ok not any room to actually move around or do much other that sit or sleep. Then by adding an extension off one end, a little more room was attainable. That would give me an easy way to add a full bathroom without sacrificing all of the desperately lacking square footage from the container. By just adding a lean-to after the double doors would be removed, worked out very well. It could be framed in with a minimum amount of additional material and eliminate needing to close up the opening when construction was finished. Some may prefer the appearance of the exterior of a container. The double doors do a great job of limiting any break-in or vandalism when you are not there. But to me I see very little use when securing yourself inside for whatever reason. One downfall is someone could also be locked in. This requires a way to secure the doors open when container is in use. It would suck if someone sneaks up to your hideaway and locked you out. Or possibly worse locked you in.

If this were to be a bugout, I could deal with the size for a short duration. But for long term living, would think not. The addition on left if just about 6 more feet. easily done with minimal work and materials. It covers the very basics especially if you dropped everything and just had to go.

Originally I thought about using this as temporary living on site while building a larger permanent place to live. Then come back and use this container for a small shop. But that seemed a little redundant. And from past experience it would take a lot longer to build this way.

After spending too much time going over different floor plans, moving things around to maximize usable space, I scrapped the whole idea. Next in progression, I added a small section to the back side of container. This now allowed for an additional room, instead of the work just for a bath attached in place of the old double door opening. Keeping square footage to a minimum, I now could have a bedroom, living space and a small but full kitchen with normal sized appliances. With RV sized appliances, even more space could be realized.

Ok its time for a beak. My fingers are sore.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	4035
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	244090   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	4096
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	244098  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fordtrucksforever For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2017, 11:42 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,728 Times in 1,795 Posts

So you have land and the container?

What is the climate, dry, damp, hot cold?

Will be nice to see your progess.
The Following User Says Thank You to ol For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2017, 12:48 AM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol View Post
So you have land and the container?

What is the climate, dry, damp, hot cold?

Will be nice to see your progress.
Yes land. The container is already put in place. Construction is well underway.

Climate is all the above.

I have a lot of pics to sort thru and follow up with closeups and details.
Old 11-12-2017, 01:00 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,225 Times in 2,866 Posts

Sounds like a good project.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kalifornia Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2017, 01:33 AM
Hiker

I am loaded up and ready to head out in the morning for a few more days of work on container. But a little more gibberish to post before getting into the actual construction.

All of the work getting done is without any help or even insight from others. Most people could care less if not something they are personally deeply interested in. I am doing all of the work by myself, so building and also making sure there are decent pics and writing a followup may be in small increments behind what I have been able to complete as far. Hopefully there are a few people here that might be interested in a container build in their future and can get some ideas from what others are doing. I sure would like to find some good detailed information about certain aspects of this. But should have everything worked out by this build is finished.

Initially I spent a lot of time digging thru limited information and little if any really reliable or useful information as to how any of the builds I followed were done.

What about going with a 40 ft container if more room was needed? Everyone seems to think a 40 foot container would work great because you have double the space compared to a 20 foot container. For several reasons I didnt want a 40 ft container. One serious reason I will go into later. But the 8 ft width really limits the ingenuity one can use in design. Or creates a need for ingenuity above and beyond the average snowflake IQ. With a narrow and very long footprint, makes for limited ideas that would work well for a floor plan. You are limited to having a room at each end and usually open in between them.

So by conventional thinking, you would make a sleeping area at one end and bathroom at the other. You could combine the two at one end, but limits privacy if there are several occupants. Then you add a kitchen on the back wall or an L shape from wall on bathroom side. If doing a container for short term living quarters opens the lack of luxury up a lot. You can have fold down cots and much simpler cooking arrangements. For me, the main drawback to a 40 ft container is covered a little later. You could also compare the 40 foot length to a small mobile home. Older ones would be 9 X 40 ft. That extra one foot width makes a huge difference on what you can do with the added space. In a very short term use the limited space would be tolerable. Much more time spent could drive you and other occupants completely crazy. Or to the point of wanting to kill each other.

Back on to the layout using a 20 ft container and several options. All of this time I kept looking at the available space there was to actually move freely around and maintain my sanity in case of unfavorable long term conditions, like weather, zombie apocalypse, fallout, etc.

By adding an addition to the back, I could open it up to at least stretch my legs a little more. Since there was already going to be the side addition, this was not too far of a reach. I was getting closer to what seemed to be the right direction, but not yet. Had to rehash everything over and over before going to the next level.

Back to the drawing board again. And again. and once more, again. What I needed to realize is for the materials it would take to add what I had planned at this point, would take very little more to make it much larger. OK fast forward thru all the little steps I went thru to finally realize how I should proceed.

If I just wanted a small getaway, this could work well. It was simple enough. Has plenty of room and easily add anything that was lacking as needed over time. But still has a feel more like a hotel room.

This was getting closer to what I thought was going to be the final layout. But still not ready to commit just yet. I was more comfortable with this general floorplan, or something to this effect. But it was not there yet. If I were to build at another location, this is closer to what it would be like. Square footage staying to a minimum was why you see the bathroom this way.

There is a stackable washer/dryer, shower, and hot water heater. Originally this was to be equipped with a short fat 30 gallon hot water heater, since I have one ready to put in use. But realizing the amount of precious space it takes up, was scrapped. If this layout or one similar were to be used it would be equipped with a tankless type. Since the water usage is minor even a point of use might be a better choice. The small sink in bathroom is placed in a nitch of type that extends into the kitchen behind a built in cupboard. The cupboard would appear to be the full footprint in kitchen, but only have a single or double depth shelving. All of the plumbing would be hidden and easily tied in with kitchen.

Throwing away all of the previous floor plans that I spent months narrowing down going over what to do, I went large. Since this was going to be a permanant place to reside now, I saw no reason to keep the footprint so small. Since there are more building that will be added after this one is finished. First starting out with an 8' x 20' footprint was still my foundation to build from.

You may ask why not start with a 40' container, like so many usually choose to begin with. The main reason I didnt go with one is the big trail of a footprint a 40' container would leave moving it to the location I am building on. Secondly, a 20' container is something I could actually move by myself. It will fit on a flatbed trailer and pulled with a 3/4 ton truck easily. That is if you use some common sense and patience.

Fortunately I had access to an old retired goose neck trailer with 18' flatbed sitting above tires and bobtailed in back. A conventional 20 foot flatbed could be used just as easily. The container weighs in around 5500 pounds. Not much different than a large tractor with attachments. This is something else everyone should have, if they can afford one. Doesnt have to be big or new, but a full size tractor, preferably 4wd, is a major plus if not necessity.

After shopping around the area for a while, I found several places offering storage containers for sale. Most of them were all competitively priced. Some offered delivery at a fixed price or included with purchase. I had a 50 mile radius for free, but that was not anywhere close to where the container would be going.

So I had a 20' container delivered free with purchase to a given location. It would be a while before I would be able to move to its final destination. This gave me time to look over the container and measure to further define my plans in more detail. So back to the drawing board with what I wanted to build which would become, in time, my permanent residence.

Now for more detail on choosing a 20" container for my build. Well instead of going with one that is 40' long anyway. I am building out in the sticks. Basically a large piece of family property that is undeveloped for the most part. It is mainly covered with oak trees, hickory trees, copperheads, wolf spiders, and certain years lots of ticks. No open fields or bare areas anywhere. I cut a road to the build site thru the trees. I did not just cut a path straight to the location from the road. Instead it is indirect from a driveway coming in from the county road. There is no access any other way in, except by foot, thru the trees.

The path I cut was steering around the trees so I didnt need to cut any large ones down. That took a few attempts after trying to drive thru. If you are facing the pathway thats cut, is curved around enough so it just disappears into the surrounding trees. You have to be looking for the driveway to actually see where it goes.

A 20' container would barely fit thru the opening without scraping against trees on either side of the path. There is no way this could be accomplished using a 40' container. Unless I cut it in two pieces. That was an option I had considered when first started shopping for a container. The way my indirect route was cut thru, a 40 ft container would have never gotten past the entrance to main driveway from the county road. Not to mention making the hard right turn onto the property driveway with 40 feet pivoting behind or at least the length where trailer axles are situated.

Yet there is still another reason to choose a 20 ft container for my project.This worked best for me. Your mileage may differ. Since I was lucky to have access to an old retired goose neck trailer, made it very easy to transport the container to its final location by myself. You could get away with a flatbed or even stick axles under the container, just working with what you have. With this goose neck, I had to mock up a receiver that fits into the bed of an old 3/4 ton truck I had recently retired. Wasnt to much trouble, just used some old scrap channel iron pieces that were welded up in the shape of an H or U depending on what it needs to fit. It was secured directly down where bolts go thru for bed. Finally I get to add my first pic!!

After this I could move the trailer around and back it up to container.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03378a.jpg
Views:	4573
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	235962   Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	4048
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	244130   Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	4051
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	244138  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fordtrucksforever For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2017, 07:20 AM

More please.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bro1957 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2017, 07:52 AM

If you are keeping the wooden floor in the container you need to raise the container to allow air flow underneath , I had a
40 Ft container direct on the soil on the inside I covered the floor with plastic type floor covering within 4 years the floor rotted , I had to remove then lay concrete, the container I had , was wooden sides & roof , this was easy to cut in windows & doors , consider having space for a 2nd 20 ft container at a later date , if you placed these apart you can cover between them which will give a use full covered work area between
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mogie. 366 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2017, 11:29 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,345 Times in 711 Posts

How about using a container that was a reefer container. They are already insulated. The issue with hot/cold is the same one that kept me from building my own motor home from a bread truck. Ask anyone who drives one and they will tell you about it.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rt66paul For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2017, 12:24 PM
Hiker

Well, for your storage container home you'll need a nice pool.
Check out storage container swimming pools on u-tube.
The Following User Says Thank You to Carlos Murphy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2017, 12:57 PM

Anyone think large home with containers?? How about a 2700 sq ft home with 2 car garage and attached work shop? It would require 6-7 53' containers, 3-4 40' containers and a 20' container. Including a nice front porch and a rear deck area. I figure cost to buy and complete at around $50k - $75k not including property.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Senescence For This Useful Post: