My Expat Journey Begins in Rural Hungary - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files


Notices

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2017, 08:43 AM
богдан богдан is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 4,333
Thanks: 599
Thanked 5,939 Times in 2,513 Posts
Default



Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by S610 View Post
I think it is great that you are moving to a little homestead in rural Hungary.

For a moment I thought "Gosh I wish I could do that" but then realized since I moved to the rural South a few years ago I love it so much I wouldn't want to go anywhere else. While I am also a hermit, the people are friendly, there is a strong sense of culture, and there is something about the land in the South that is hard to describe (sounds cliche but it has a presence of its own). If you can find that type of feeling in Hungary you are wise to make the move and go! Life is short.

One challenge I would worry about in your case is good vet care though. I realize Hungary is NOT Russia, but I recall hearing just a few years ago people could not even get basic canine vaccines in Russia! So finding what we would consider "quality" vet care may be challenging, but hopefully if you find a good Hungarian vet that speaks some english and will write prescriptions you could order drugs/meds that you need online if they don't have them locally (assuming you still have an internet connection).

Also think about dog food. Might be worth starting to cook part of your dog's food (rice/meat) now so when they arrive you can keep them on a similar diet. Not sure if you saw it, I mentioned it in your other post, I would also have ID tags with contact info that would be relevant/mean something to people overseas if your dogs got lost during transport (i.e. phone numbers with the proper intl. calling codes on them, maybe even a Hungarian vet office name/number etc...)
hungary is part of the EU, it should not be an issue.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to богдан For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2017, 09:17 AM
S610 S610 is offline
Cave canem
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Middle Georgia
Posts: 5,391
Thanks: 11,843
Thanked 11,111 Times in 3,864 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by богдан View Post
hungary is part of the EU, it should not be an issue.
Yeah, no doubt you are right about the meds. Anything/everything would be coming in from Germany and other countries. Much of the problem in Russia could be driven by sanctions too, same thing happens in Iran. When countries can't buy foreign pharmaceuticals it has an awful effect on the local populations in many ways, there is only so much those countries can make on their own.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to S610 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2017, 01:05 PM
three_dogs three_dogs is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Hungary
Posts: 1,467
Thanks: 5,628
Thanked 2,978 Times in 958 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by geordie1 View Post
Very interesting thread, how are you getting on with the language? My understanding is Hungarian is like no other, in no way related to the countries that it neighbours?
I have purchased a beginners study book but I can tell I am going to need a tutor. I will do whatever it takes to become fluent within a couple years because I do not want to be seen as someone not making an effort. I lived in Finland once and Hungarian is a cousin of the Finnish language from the Uralic language branch. Many youth are taught English in school so finding help in translation is relatively easy in most of the cities. That being said I want to fit in and I am going to make the effort to learn. I should be okay once I am on the ground living there.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to three_dogs For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2017, 01:17 PM
three_dogs three_dogs is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Hungary
Posts: 1,467
Thanks: 5,628
Thanked 2,978 Times in 958 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwrench708 View Post
To those who have thought about this lifestyle.... or maybe considering it. It is very difficult at times. In your new host country you do not have the same rights as you do in the US. The customs are different. The language is different. The way things are done is totally different. Many people fail at this expat thing. I would not recommend anyone to just jump feet first into being an expat. I would not buy or invest until I had lived there a year or two. Rent a house...and if it doesnít work out....walk away and go home.
Living in a foreign country is quite an experience. Both good and bad. I usually travel back to the US every few weeks.
While in the US on a work assignment I do a lot of shopping. Buying things that are not readily available in the RD. My shopping list is big. Usually fills up a large dufffle bag.
Yesterday I walked around our La Sierna store ( like a Super Walmart). And made note of the things they donít stock that Wally World does. For instance....no rechargeable batteries.
I have the luxury of returning to the states often. And it is very close to the US. In an hour..I can be in Miami.
When picking a country to settle in. Take a lot into consideration
1. Donít depend on Internet forums or information from the internet about your new country....most of its wrong
2. Make multiple trips there...for lengthy periods of time. During all seasons before deciding
3. Donít jump in after one visit.
4. Do not live around other expats....thatís is only bad news
5. LEARN THE LANGUAGE....repeat.....repeat
6. Try to locate on the outskirts of a large enough city that you will have full services.
7. Learn the laws of the country
8. Keep enough money aside to use to travel back to the US if you decide you canít live there any longer.
9. Be close enough to the US Embassy or a consulate that you can reach them.
10. Understand that most of you will fail at this new adventure....thatís true.

Most of you that read my posts know I donít sugarcoat anything.

Expat living is not easy....it is difficult. Even for me and I have advantages that most of you will not have. I have the ability to frequently go to the US and I have a Dominican family here.

Most will fail during the first year.......Most
I agree with everything you stated, especially number 4 staying away from expats, number 5, learn the language and number 10, most expats will fail because they cannot separate themselves from their former life in their homelands, they get lonely for contact with their friends and family plus they cannot do without certain things and a standard of living equal to or higher than they are accustomed to. That is why 90% of expats fail within 1 to 2 years. I already purchased a property and am invested in remaining in Hungary no matter what but actually if people want to try expatriation they would be better off renting a property for a year or 2 before buying property. If you rent and it doesn't work out you can move and you are not tied down.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to three_dogs For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2017, 01:31 PM
three_dogs three_dogs is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Hungary
Posts: 1,467
Thanks: 5,628
Thanked 2,978 Times in 958 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by S610 View Post
I think it is great that you are moving to a little homestead in rural Hungary.

For a moment I thought "Gosh I wish I could do that" but then realized since I moved to the rural South a few years ago I love it so much I wouldn't want to go anywhere else. While I am also a hermit, the people are friendly, there is a strong sense of culture, and there is something about the land in the South that is hard to describe (sounds cliche but it has a presence of its own). If you can find that type of peace in Hungary you are wise to make the move and go! Life is short.

One challenge I would worry about in your case is good vet care though. I realize Hungary is NOT Russia, but I recall hearing just a few years ago people could not even get basic canine vaccines in Russia! So finding what we would consider "quality" vet care may be challenging, but hopefully if you find a good Hungarian vet that speaks some english and will write prescriptions you could order drugs/meds that you need online if they don't have them locally (assuming you still have an internet connection).

Not sure if you saw it, I mentioned it in your other post, I would also have bright neon orange collars (seen from 100 yards or more, not a fashion statement but a "look I am wearing a collar with tags" statement) and ID tags with contact info that would be relevant/mean something to people overseas if your dogs got lost during transport or shortly after arriving (i.e. full address/country with a couple of phone numbers including proper intl. calling codes). If you have proper ID tags it ensures you won't need them, if you don't have them then well...if something happened it would be a real nightmare.

Also think about dog food. Might be worth starting to cook part of your dog's food (rice/meat) now so when they arrive you can keep them on a similar diet.
My dogs eat very little commercial pet food. Matter of fact a 50lb bag last them a year. They eat a lot of table scraps and things I cook for them.

Veterinarian care is readily available thru out Hungary and at a good standard. Maybe not as good as the US or UK but at a high level that gives me no concern. It is a fact that some animals will become very sick at some point during their life and at some point it may become in the animals best interest to end their suffering if spending money is only prolonging their suffering because we do not want to let them go. It is hard to make that decision, I have had to make it several times in the past but it has to be done in their best interest and with out throwing money away needlessly. I broke my heart but my last Jack Russell had cancer and I had to let him move on a couple years ago. He had a good run of almost 16 years and I have no regrets. It does hurt to say goodbye though.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to three_dogs For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2017, 02:19 PM
Toxoph's Avatar
Toxoph Toxoph is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 71
Thanks: 44
Thanked 134 Times in 53 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by three_dogs View Post
I have purchased a beginners study book but I can tell I am going to need a tutor.
Good idea, Also there are some very good youtube videos to help you get started

Quote:
Originally Posted by three_dogs View Post
I will do whatever it takes to become fluent within a couple years because I do not want to be seen as someone not making an effort.
Actually, according to my friend who married an Hungarian and has been there several times, he said the Hungarians are very accommodating to people trying to learn their language and will help you as long as they see you are trying. They understand their language is difficult and they are proud it is so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by three_dogs View Post
I lived in Finland once and Hungarian is a cousin of the Finnish language from the Uralic language branch.
A very distant cousin at best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by three_dogs View Post
That being said I want to fit in and I am going to make the effort to learn. I should be okay once I am on the ground living there.
Then they will appreciate that!
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toxoph For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2017, 02:21 PM
богдан богдан is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 4,333
Thanks: 599
Thanked 5,939 Times in 2,513 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxoph View Post
Good idea, Also there are some very good youtube videos to help you get started


Actually, according to my friend who married an Hungarian and has been there several times, he said the Hungarians are very accommodating to people trying to learn their language and will help you as long as they see you are trying. They understand their language is difficult and they are proud it is so.


A very distant cousin at best!


Then they will appreciate that!
fast way would be go to a local university and find someone whos studying to be a teacher of the language and speaks English. get cheap tutoring

or get married
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to богдан For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2017, 03:07 PM
S610 S610 is offline
Cave canem
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Middle Georgia
Posts: 5,391
Thanks: 11,843
Thanked 11,111 Times in 3,864 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by three_dogs View Post
It is a fact that some animals will become very sick at some point during their life and at some point it may become in the animals best interest to end their suffering if spending money is only prolonging their suffering because we do not want to let them go.
Good care and prolonging end of life pointlessly are two different things.

I have one scrappy little terrier mix female that showed up as a pregnant stray a few years back. Once she almost died from a bug bite and had to have a breathing tube down her throat for 12 hours to keep her airway open. Then a couple of years later she became severely ill from a nearly impossible to diagnose tick born disease, tests could not nail down exactly what type and she was barely able to walk at times, this went on for 9 months! When the vet finally figured out what it was (a tick born parasite eating her muscles) it cost about $30 in meds to cure.

In both cases it came down to having a good experienced vet available to make the right diagnosis and not just throw in the towel prematurely.

I shouldn't have brought it up. Carry on.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to S610 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2017, 03:39 PM
three_dogs three_dogs is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Hungary
Posts: 1,467
Thanks: 5,628
Thanked 2,978 Times in 958 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by S610 View Post
Good care and prolonging end of life pointlessly are two different things.

I have one scrappy little terrier mix female that showed up as a pregnant stray a few years back. Once she almost died from a bug bite and had to have a breathing tube down her throat for 12 hours to keep her airway open. Then a couple of years later she became severely ill from a nearly impossible to diagnose tick born disease, tests could not nail down exactly what type and she was barely able to walk at times, this went on for 9 months! When the vet finally figured out what it was (a tick born parasite eating her muscles) it cost about $30 in meds to cure.

In both cases it came down to having a good experienced vet available to make the right diagnosis and not just throw in the towel prematurely.

I shouldn't have brought it up. Carry on.
I am not referring to illnesses so much like what you experienced but cancers and issues that required massive investments that there is likely nothing to be gained. I have had my girls get sick and a couple times I had large vet bills trying to figure it all out. I am not saying throw in the towel at the first sign of trouble. I was just saying or trying to say I cannot see spending 5-6 thousand $ to keep a 15 year old dog alive another couple months that has terminal cancer. My bad for not being a little more precise. I am sure there will be practices that can handle most everything that happens or that have specialist that can be called in like we have in my area of Texas now.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to three_dogs For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2017, 04:25 PM
TxHannah TxHannah is offline
This is a great survival forum
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 17,612
Thanks: 27,065
Thanked 64,219 Times in 15,110 Posts
Default

Three Dogs, may I ask if you have exit plans in case things somehow go bad in Hungary politically? As in invasion, etc.?
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2017, 04:52 PM
three_dogs three_dogs is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Hungary
Posts: 1,467
Thanks: 5,628
Thanked 2,978 Times in 958 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxHannah View Post
Three Dogs, may I ask if you have exit plans in case things somehow go bad in Hungary politically? As in invasion, etc.?
Yes, I do have a plan B. It won't include a return to the USA. I am not worried about internal problems within Hungary, the only possible worry I have is if the idiots from NATO try to attack Russia, at that point no place globally will be safe because it will go into a global nuclear war and it will not be survivable anywhere.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to three_dogs For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2017, 05:01 PM
богдан богдан is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 4,333
Thanks: 599
Thanked 5,939 Times in 2,513 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by three_dogs View Post
Yes, I do have a plan B. It won't include a return to the USA. I am not worried about internal problems within Hungary, the only possible worry I have is if the idiots from NATO try to attack Russia, at that point no place globally will be safe because it will go into a global nuclear war and it will not be survivable anywhere.
ya except it wont. it will remain conventional
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to богдан For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2017, 06:24 PM
Nomad, 2nd Nomad, 2nd is online now
Survivor
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Gulf coast and/or Nomadically
Posts: 28,965
Thanks: 24,629
Thanked 58,815 Times in 19,078 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by three_dogs View Post
Yes, I do have a plan B. It won't include a return to the USA. I am not worried about internal problems within Hungary, the only possible worry I have is if the idiots from NATO try to attack Russia, at that point no place globally will be safe because it will go into a global nuclear war and it will not be survivable anywhere.
Bull****


.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2017, 06:56 PM
three_dogs three_dogs is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Hungary
Posts: 1,467
Thanks: 5,628
Thanked 2,978 Times in 958 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
Bull****


.
I knew you were a hater, I gave you a chance and you proved my suspicions you are a troll. Since you didn't listen to what I said and all you could do was spew your opposition because you love the blackhole that the US has become please refrain further comments. I honestly answered your questions and all you want to do is use profanity. I will not respond to you further.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to three_dogs For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2017, 07:30 PM
богдан богдан is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 4,333
Thanks: 599
Thanked 5,939 Times in 2,513 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by three_dogs View Post
I knew you were a hater, I gave you a chance and you proved my suspicions you are a troll. Since you didn't listen to what I said and all you could do was spew your opposition because you love the blackhole that the US has become please refrain further comments. I honestly answered your questions and all you want to do is use profanity. I will not respond to you further.
Jesus Christ dude. me and 2nd have been here about the same number of years, hes a solid dude. just because someone thinks your comment about WW3 being nuclear is BS I also hold that opinion does not make him a hater or a troll.

and were already in WW3 its just not to the total war stage most people imagine and Americas already fighting Russia by proxy
Quick reply to this message
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to богдан For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2017, 10:46 PM
Nomad, 2nd Nomad, 2nd is online now
Survivor
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Gulf coast and/or Nomadically
Posts: 28,965
Thanks: 24,629
Thanked 58,815 Times in 19,078 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by three_dogs View Post
I knew you were a hater, I gave you a chance and you proved my suspicions you are a troll. Since you didn't listen to what I said and all you could do was spew your opposition because you love the blackhole that the US has become please refrain further comments. I honestly answered your questions and all you want to do is use profanity. I will not respond to you further.

If you'll take the time to actually UNDERSTAND what was said you'll see that I (gracefully for anyone I might add, much less me and my blunt self) when you were talking about your "reasons for leaving" I did NOT make the point that the ALL were either emotional arguments, or ones I'd proven incorrect.
I simply thanked you (go back and check) and didn't try to reason or argue with you.
It's been my experence/observation that when someone's made an emotional decision rather than a rational one they will refuse to change it regardless of facts and figures.


And what I called "bull****" on has NOTHING to do with your decision to expatriate, but rather your scientific incorrect statement (as follows):

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by*three_dogs*

Yes, I do have a plan B. It won't include a return to the USA. I am not worried about internal problems within Hungary, the only possible worry I have is if the idiots from NATO try to attack Russia, at that point no place globally will be safe because it will go into a global nuclear war and it will not be survivable anywhere.


1. Not worried about internal problems.
-EVERY country can have internal problems. But you say "your not worried" about them.... so this is a true statement (whether or not you should.)

2. "The ONLY possible worry"
-Untrue statement as there are many POSSIBLE worries.

3. "Idiots from NATO try to attack Russia
-setting aside the fact that there are idiots in every country/government you CLEARLY favor Russia in this.
--Russia has shown itself to be an aggressor nation not only in the past but recently.

4. But ALL OF THAT I let slide as most of it is (like your earlier statements) "How you feel" which necessitates neither rhyme nor reason.

What I DID respond to, and call the bull**** that it is was your final statement of opinion:

"at that point no place globally will be safe because it will go into a global nuclear war and it will not be survivable anywhere."

4.a. you make the claim that it "will go into a global nuclear war"
-possible, but unlikely. Yet you state it as fact rather than opinion.

4.b. you claim "it will not be survivable anywhere"
This has been scientifically proven to be untrue (indeed, BOOKS have been written on the topic!)

And THAT is what I called out as bull****.

Yet you continue your (consistant at least) emotional rather than rational response and call me a "hater" and proclaim "you won't talk to me anymore" (no loss as you've done nothing but provide emotional rather than factual responses.) Rather than respond in an unemotional way.

(And if one curse word offends your delicate sensabilities to that degree.... I wonder how you've survived this long!)
-Don't worry, we all know it's just an excuse to flee.

"Troll".... chuckles.

Good luck.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2017, 12:01 AM
PA_Robert PA_Robert is offline
This is a great survival forum
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 3,739
Thanks: 4,457
Thanked 8,781 Times in 2,681 Posts
Default

Three Dogs..Enjoy. It will be an adventure.

I traveled for work from 1991 until 2015. I worked everywhere. Needless to say I worked with many expats from every country. These guys live in every country.

I spoke to an engineer the other day. He's Scottish, his wife is American, His "home office" for work is Rochester, NY, they have a house in Spain, he has a small piece of his family farm in Scotland, and he's interested in a three year project in Indonesia (where his wife will go with him).

Once it's in your blood, it's hard to get away from it. I really enjoy the adventure and challenge of a new country. I have a 13 and 15 y/o, so my traveling days slowed down in 2011 and came to end in 2015.

I have 1724 more days until my son (the youngest) graduates from high school and will be either off to the USMC, a trade school or college.

On day 1725 I will have a flight somewhere where I will need a passport.
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2017, 06:57 AM
богдан богдан is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 4,333
Thanks: 599
Thanked 5,939 Times in 2,513 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
If you'll take the time to actually UNDERSTAND what was said you'll see that I (gracefully for anyone I might add, much less me and my blunt self) when you were talking about your "reasons for leaving" I did NOT make the point that the ALL were either emotional arguments, or ones I'd proven incorrect.
I simply thanked you (go back and check) and didn't try to reason or argue with you.
It's been my experence/observation that when someone's made an emotional decision rather than a rational one they will refuse to change it regardless of facts and figures.


And what I called "bull****" on has NOTHING to do with your decision to expatriate, but rather your scientific incorrect statement (as follows):



1. Not worried about internal problems.
-EVERY country can have internal problems. But you say "your not worried" about them.... so this is a true statement (whether or not you should.)

2. "The ONLY possible worry"
-Untrue statement as there are many POSSIBLE worries.

3. "Idiots from NATO try to attack Russia
-setting aside the fact that there are idiots in every country/government you CLEARLY favor Russia in this.
--Russia has shown itself to be an aggressor nation not only in the past but recently.

4. But ALL OF THAT I let slide as most of it is (like your earlier statements) "How you feel" which necessitates neither rhyme nor reason.

What I DID respond to, and call the bull**** that it is was your final statement of opinion:

"at that point no place globally will be safe because it will go into a global nuclear war and it will not be survivable anywhere."

4.a. you make the claim that it "will go into a global nuclear war"
-possible, but unlikely. Yet you state it as fact rather than opinion.

4.b. you claim "it will not be survivable anywhere"
This has been scientifically proven to be untrue (indeed, BOOKS have been written on the topic!)

And THAT is what I called out as bull****.

Yet you continue your (consistant at least) emotional rather than rational response and call me a "hater" and proclaim "you won't talk to me anymore" (no loss as you've done nothing but provide emotional rather than factual responses.) Rather than respond in an unemotional way.

(And if one curse word offends your delicate sensabilities to that degree.... I wonder how you've survived this long!)
-Don't worry, we all know it's just an excuse to flee.

"Troll".... chuckles.

Good luck.
I noticed this is occurring more frequently as well example another poster also a older guy said he haslived the last 20 years without electricity and I'm like if your using a computer on the forum the no electricity is setting off my BS meter.


to wich I was told I'm stupid and ignorant
Quick reply to this message
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to богдан For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2017, 10:02 AM
zooeyhll's Avatar
zooeyhll zooeyhll is offline
The Power of the Glave
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Midwest (rural)
Posts: 1,821
Thanks: 5,235
Thanked 6,590 Times in 1,439 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_Robert View Post
Three Dogs..Enjoy. It will be an adventure.

I traveled for work from 1991 until 2015. I worked everywhere. Needless to say I worked with many expats from every country. These guys live in every country.

I spoke to an engineer the other day. He's Scottish, his wife is American, His "home office" for work is Rochester, NY, they have a house in Spain, he has a small piece of his family farm in Scotland, and he's interested in a three year project in Indonesia (where his wife will go with him).

Once it's in your blood, it's hard to get away from it. I really enjoy the adventure and challenge of a new country. I have a 13 and 15 y/o, so my traveling days slowed down in 2011 and came to end in 2015.

I have 1724 more days until my son (the youngest) graduates from high school and will be either off to the USMC, a trade school or college.

On day 1725 I will have a flight somewhere where I will need a passport.
Read your interesting post. I think it's great you've been able to travel and work in other countries, something I've always wanted to do. Because I've always had a very strong interest in history, and hence an interest in other cultures and countries.

Unfortunately, the usual roadblocks of TIME and especially MONEY have kept me from my dream.

I'm 62, single, and have been in IT for about 20 years now. Can I ask: how hard is it to get jobs in other countries? As a foreigner and an American? I've been watching the years go buy and not acting on my dream. Daily I'm becoming more determined to try something like this.

Making a move like this---would it be successful? Or would it end up being a disaster? What are the steps to take to make sure there is a "fall-back" in case things don't work out? Would appreciate any advice!
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2017, 10:04 AM
drobs's Avatar
drobs drobs is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Africa - Missouri
Posts: 7,816
Thanks: 11,373
Thanked 7,463 Times in 3,874 Posts
Default

I had to look it up - 4200m2 = 1 acre.
Plenty of places in America fly over country where you could find a similar place for similar money with more land.

What state you escaping from?

I have lots of friends that are expats - most in Thailand and the Philippines. Most marry a local gal and get certain rights through her - firearms ownership (PI), etc.

I like the US and can't wait to be home there for good.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to drobs For This Useful Post:
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
affordable, expatriation, hungary, rural



Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Survivalist Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Gender
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © Kevin Felts 2006 - 2015,
Green theme by http://www.themesbydesign.net