My Expat Journey Begins in Rural Hungary - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here

Old 10-18-2017, 04:48 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,006 Times in 973 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by real wowwee View Post
You had another thread about getting your dogs over there. Did you work that out?
Yes, sadly, I had to borrow the $3500 from a friend. I wound up just hiring a company named Woof Airlines to handle it. It was going to cost me around that even if I handled it all. I really am committed to keeping my girls no matter what, they were rescues and I have given them a high standard of life that no one else would and I do not want to break their hearts nor mine by given them away. They are so spoiled that they do not realize that they are dogs. I would not have it anyway.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to three_dogs For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2017, 04:51 PM
Into the Blue

Thanked 10,461 Times in 1,958 Posts

How's the beer? The food? Hunting? Fishing? I have a friend in Romania. He often posts pics of family outings in the Carpathian mountains. Gorgeous area there.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to n2dablue For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2017, 05:00 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2dablue View Post
How's the beer? The food? Hunting? Fishing? I have a friend in Romania. He often posts pics of family outings in the Carpathian mountains. Gorgeous area there.
I did not get a chance to sample many beers but what I did were okay. I tried the brand Soproni from Hungary and also tried the local brewed Miller High Life and Heineken. The wine and Palinka were great.

Not a Hunter or fisherman but I have heard that they are both great.

The food was excellent at the restaurants I sampled. Cheap and a lot of it for the money.

The Carpathian Mts are very beautiful.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to three_dogs For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2017, 05:11 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 64,219 Times in 15,110 Posts

I have very distant family in Romania, we hear from them intermittently. Some are in Iasi, some are outside Cluj Napoca. Their English is good, my Romanian is basically worthless.

FWIW, some of them have been debating leaving due to ongoing political and economic problems. Seems that in some places, the communists refuse to let go of the past, and it often makes local politics difficult.

Hungary seems to be determined to not get sucked into the EU and the disasters they purposely inflict on member nations, so that would be a plus. But you may have made a good choice in not choosing Romania. Beautiful place, but quite frankly I would not want to live there.

Please keep us posted, I'd love to hear about how it goes for you and your family. Glad to hear you got your dog situation resolved. That would be a deal breaker for me.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:49 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxHannah View Post
I have very distant family in Romania, we hear from them intermittently. Some are in Iasi, some are outside Cluj Napoca. Their English is good, my Romanian is basically worthless.

FWIW, some of them have been debating leaving due to ongoing political and economic problems. Seems that in some places, the communists refuse to let go of the past, and it often makes local politics difficult.

Hungary seems to be determined to not get sucked into the EU and the disasters they purposely inflict on member nations, so that would be a plus. But you may have made a good choice in not choosing Romania. Beautiful place, but quite frankly I would not want to live there.

Please keep us posted, I'd love to hear about how it goes for you and your family. Glad to hear you got your dog situation resolved. That would be a deal breaker for me.
Thanks, I just never could get a good feeling for Romania.

I am happily single so I do not worry about anyone being made happy.

I am very happy to be bringing my 2 girls with me. They are my family. I hope once I get settled and everything seems to be going well. I am planning to get a new dog after next spring. I want a male Jack Russell Terrier. I had a pair of them before and lost my 15 year old one a couple years ago to cancer. I hope to rescue a younger male. if not I will get a puppy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to three_dogs For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2017, 07:50 PM
Survivor

Thanked 59,001 Times in 19,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by three_dogs View Post
I flew over the last week of August 2017 and bought a farm house in a small village. I bought a house with almost 4200m2 of land, a small stable, garage and a large barn for about $24K USD. Fully furnished and livable as is. Of course I will want to make some upgrades to the kitchen and bathrooms but nothing that I cannot work on in stages.

Hungary is a very beautiful country with a lot of history both good and bad but since the fall of the Iron Curtain it has become a stable relatively conservative nation with traditional values and culture. The people are friendly and the crime rate is fairly low in most areas. It seems like to me what the US was like back in the 1960's in the rural areas. Many people still do not keep their doors locked in my new village.

I know that the many haters will chime in no doubt about leaving the US. Hungary is NOT for everyone. It is for me for many reasons. The cost of living is very affordable compared to the USA because housing is cheaper, yes, the houses are not modern by many standards but that is not a problem for me. People grow much of their own food in Hungary and do not eat near as much processed food like we do in America. There are not fast food places everywhere like in the US. There are many small restaurants that have good food. I am on a fixed pension and I have grown tired of the ever increasing property taxes in the US plus the constant property insurance increases. Not to mention everything else that is skyrocketing. I was being taxed and insuranced to death where I live now and I see that in a few years my modest house would be unaffordable if I want to also eat.

Particularly addressing the part I quoted above:

Not to be "a hater" but what do you think you gain vs the US?

I looked at being an expat (military pension) and came to the conclusion that to live as "American" as I do here (steak 1x/week, internet, car etc) it would cost MORE than it does here!

I live on under (I could live well under) $2k/month, in my $50k house (could be less) on 80 acres.

A friend of mine lives here in the Ozarks in a $36,000, 1700 sqft house on 1.77 acres in a "town" of 8.
-ETA: Mine is the cost of construction, his is total cost.
He gets by on a $1,100/month social security Check and a small garden. (Property taxes of $0 due to the homestead exemption
As mine would be if I homesteaded.)
Not only is his house always unlocked, he doesn't even own a key to it!!!

Again: not to "hate" but an honest question:
What are these "many reasons"? Because every one you listed above have "in the US" solutions.
(My buddy doesn't have many guns as he's sold them for various reasons, but he still has several.... and they are not avalable in most places close to this cost of living. I understand that's not important to many, but it's meerly one freedom among many you cannot get elsewhere.)
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2017, 08:52 PM
Cave canem

Thanked 11,111 Times in 3,864 Posts

You ever watch Ramzpaul on youtube? He does mostly topical political videos with an ethno-nationalist theme but he has a few on Hungary and he LOVES the place. Also has a website, if you want to get more info from an American perspective email him, I am sure he would love to chat about it. He does not live there but has visited quite a bit and probably wants to move there, he is also the same age and a dog lover. Lots in common there.

Did you ever get the airline thing worked out for your dogs? And did you downsize those giant crates?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to S610 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2017, 09:57 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
Particularly addressing the part I quoted above:

Not to be "a hater" but what do you think you gain vs the US?

I looked at being an expat (military pension) and came to the conclusion that to live as "American" as I do here (steak 1x/week, internet, car etc) it would cost MORE than it does here!

I live on under (I could live well under) $2k/month, in my $50k house (could be less) on 80 acres.

A friend of mine lives here in the Ozarks in a $36,000, 1700 sqft house on 1.77 acres in a "town" of 8.
-ETA: Mine is the cost of construction, his is total cost.
He gets by on a $1,100/month social security Check and a small garden. (Property taxes of $0 due to the homestead exemption
As mine would be if I homesteaded.)
Not only is his house always unlocked, he doesn't even own a key to it!!!

Again: not to "hate" but an honest question:
What are these "many reasons"? Because every one you listed above have "in the US" solutions.
(My buddy doesn't have many guns as he's sold them for various reasons, but he still has several.... and they are not avalable in most places close to this cost of living. I understand that's not important to many, but it's meerly one freedom among many you cannot get elsewhere.)
What do I think I gain by moving to Hungary? A sense of peacefulness that no longer exist here in the US. It died in the early 1960's. It is still in rural Hungary.

I do NOT want to live as an American in Hungary. I want to live like a Hungarian native. If I wanted to cling to American ways I would stay here. That's the whole point of living elsewhere I want to make a change in my style of living.

I could live on $600 a month and be happy. I don't need a new or late model car, I don't need a big screen television ,cable tv, the NFL network, HBO movies etc, etc I do not want a large property or a nice American style home. All I need is a warm house with a dry place to sleep and good neighbors. I have found that.

I can be perfectly happy driving a $2000 car with no payment. I am not worried about fire arms, they can be obtained if needed.

Sure there are US solutions, problem is you have to have your health, money and your sanity. I don't have my health, I don't have a lot of $ and the US is financially and morally bankrupt and that drives me nuts. It would take a lot more than the prepper and survivalist community to turn things around. If the US financial system collapses my pensions go away. With a paid for house all I have to worry about is food , heat and clothing. I have that covered in Hungary. I don't have any of it if I stay here.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to three_dogs For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2017, 10:03 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by S610 View Post
You ever watch Ramzpaul on youtube? He does mostly topical political videos with an ethno-nationalist theme but he has a few on Hungary and he LOVES the place. Also has a website, if you want to get more info from an American perspective email him, I am sure he would love to chat about it. He does not live there but has visited quite a bit and probably wants to move there, he is also the same age and a dog lover. Lots in common there.

Did you ever get the airline thing worked out for your dogs? And did you downsize those giant crates?

Five Reasons to Visit Hungary - YouTube
Never heard of Ramzpaul, I will check him out and I will look at the video shortly.

Sounds like an interesting guy, I will look him up.

I have the transportation issue resolved for my dogs. It wound up the same cost to use the crates I already own. My dogs have gotten used to them and will probably be happier traveling in a larger crate. They could go in a 400 series but anyway. Not an issue now.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:54 AM
Hunter

Since it seems like I cannot do anything to post a real picture thanks to Photobuckets greed. I will post a link to another page were I have photographs. Its not much but its something. I have a lot of photographs from Hungary but I am NOT paying to use photobucket or any other site.

https://www.bikepics.com/pictures/2804011/

Last edited by three_dogs; 10-19-2017 at 01:05 AM.. Reason: added comment.
Old 10-19-2017, 01:05 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 64,219 Times in 15,110 Posts

Quote:
Thanks, I just never could get a good feeling for Romania.

I am happily single so I do not worry about anyone being made happy.

I am very happy to be bringing my 2 girls with me. They are my family. I hope once I get settled and everything seems to be going well. I am planning to get a new dog after next spring. I want a male Jack Russell Terrier. I had a pair of them before and lost my 15 year old one a couple years ago to cancer. I hope to rescue a younger male. if not I will get a puppy.
That's likely because most people born in the 40's through the 70s and early 80s were taught basically to distrust everyone. You may have been sensing that. The country was under some sort of extreme form of government since at least WW2. From what I understand, people kept their mouths shut in order to survive, and I'm sure that kind of ingrained distrust is extremely hard to get rid of. Example, of my relatives, there are a few of the older ones I know about but who have refused to even say hello to me. But that's ok, I understand. To some extent. Must be an awful way to live.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:03 AM
Survivor

Thanked 59,001 Times in 19,132 Posts

Quote:

Sure there are US solutions, problem is you have to have your health, money and your sanity. I don't have my health, I don't have a lot of $ and the US is financially and morally bankrupt and that drives me nuts. It would take a lot more than the prepper and survivalist community to turn things around. If the US financial system collapses my pensions go away. With a paid for house all I have to worry about is food , heat and clothing. I have that covered in Hungary. I don't have any of it if I stay here.
I'm not sure if your not taking me seriously, or cannot come up with the reasons I asked for.

As for :
Health: I'm a 100% disabled vet. My buddy who lives on ~$1,100/month SSI.... It's actually SSDI due to COPD and other health issues. He might make another 5 years, probably won't make 10.

Money:
$1,100/month.
Nough said.

Sanity:
As I say: "I've got papers"
VA considers me 50% disabled (if you add it up everything is around 130-150%) due to PTSD (I disagree with this diagnosis.)

I also fail to see how you "don't have it if you stay here"
I've just laid out in fair detail that YES YOU CAN.

Again: genuine questions, I looked seriously for years elsewhere, and a careful examination has lead me to what I've outlined above.

Thank you for your time.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2017, 02:26 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
I'm not sure if your not taking me seriously, or cannot come up with the reasons I asked for.

As for :
Health: I'm a 100% disabled vet. My buddy who lives on ~$1,100/month SSI.... It's actually SSDI due to COPD and other health issues. He might make another 5 years, probably won't make 10.

Money:
$1,100/month.
Nough said.

Sanity:
As I say: "I've got papers"
VA considers me 50% disabled (if you add it up everything is around 130-150%) due to PTSD (I disagree with this diagnosis.)

I also fail to see how you "don't have it if you stay here"
I've just laid out in fair detail that YES YOU CAN.

Again: genuine questions, I looked seriously for years elsewhere, and a careful examination has lead me to what I've outlined above.

Thank you for your time.
I took you very seriously,
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to three_dogs For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2017, 06:56 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,031 Times in 463 Posts

Very interesting thread, how are you getting on with the language? My understanding is Hungarian is like no other, in no way related to the countries that it neighbours?
Old 10-19-2017, 07:35 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,939 Times in 2,513 Posts

Quote:
I thought Ukraine had been entered into the EU zone? I will check on that but I thought the Ukraine was a war zone? IDK? I should be okay on the residency permit but in the event I get a snag, I will leave and then return to Hungary after my 90 days is over. May go to Costa Rica or Panama.
Ukraine has had visa restrictions lifted for the EU zone but is not a part of the EU. the nice thing is when I and the wife want to go back to southern france or other areas its 200 cheaper without the visa req. But its a really cheap place to live and right next to Hungary

as to the war there is one but imagine a nation the size of TX with a war on its far eastern border composing of around 2 counties..

the areas in red is where the conflict is occurring and honestly you could not get even accidentally to the front lines because you wont know the passwords at the checkpoints and will get told to turn around.

the rest of the country is very safe and beautiful the most beautiful regions are the mountain regions in western Ukraine also happen to be by your border. to give you an idea you can support a family of 2 easily on 1000 a month

Quote:
I took you very seriously, I would not have responded if I did not think you to be serious.

Respectfully, thank you for your military service.

We will have to just agree to disagree. I doubt my thread changes any ones mind to remain or leave the US. It is not for many people. I am just throwing it out as an option for others to consider.

I have always been a anti-social person and I am pretty much a hermit. To me the USA feels like a growing tyranny and it is getting worse day by day. I do not like what I am seeing and I want to enjoy what time I may have.

I refuse to live where I do not feel safe and where I am not wanted.

Anyway, Thank you for your commentary.
America has its problems but nothing to bad. I look forward to going home to USA
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to богдан For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2017, 07:49 AM
SBs Resident Non Prepper

Thanked 8,644 Times in 3,324 Posts

To those who have thought about this lifestyle.... or maybe considering it. It is very difficult at times. In your new host country you do not have the same rights as you do in the US. The customs are different. The language is different. The way things are done is totally different. Many people fail at this expat thing. I would not recommend anyone to just jump feet first into being an expat. I would not buy or invest until I had lived there a year or two. Rent a house...and if it doesn’t work out....walk away and go home.
Living in a foreign country is quite an experience. Both good and bad. I usually travel back to the US every few weeks.
While in the US on a work assignment I do a lot of shopping. Buying things that are not readily available in the RD. My shopping list is big. Usually fills up a large dufffle bag.
Yesterday I walked around our La Sierna store ( like a Super Walmart). And made note of the things they don’t stock that Wally World does. For instance....no rechargeable batteries.
I have the luxury of returning to the states often. And it is very close to the US. In an hour..I can be in Miami.
When picking a country to settle in. Take a lot into consideration
1. Don’t depend on Internet forums or information from the internet about your new country....most of its wrong
2. Make multiple trips there...for lengthy periods of time. During all seasons before deciding
3. Don’t jump in after one visit.
4. Do not live around other expats....that’s is only bad news
5. LEARN THE LANGUAGE....repeat.....repeat
6. Try to locate on the outskirts of a large enough city that you will have full services.
7. Learn the laws of the country
8. Keep enough money aside to use to travel back to the US if you decide you can’t live there any longer.
9. Be close enough to the US Embassy or a consulate that you can reach them.
10. Understand that most of you will fail at this new adventure....that’s true.

Most of you that read my posts know I don’t sugarcoat anything.

Expat living is not easy....it is difficult. Even for me and I have advantages that most of you will not have. I have the ability to frequently go to the US and I have a Dominican family here.

Most will fail during the first year.......Most
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Goodwrench708 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2017, 07:56 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,939 Times in 2,513 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwrench708 View Post
To those who have thought about this lifestyle.... or maybe considering it. It is very difficult at times. In your new host country you do not have the same rights as you do in the US. The customs are different. The language is different. The way things are done is totally different. Many people fail at this expat thing. I would not recommend anyone to just jump feet first into being an expat. I would not buy or invest until I had lived there a year or two. Rent a house...and if it doesn’t work out....walk away and go home.
Living in a foreign country is quite an experience. Both good and bad. I usually travel back to the US every few weeks.
While in the US on a work assignment I do a lot of shopping. Buying things that are not readily available in the RD. My shopping list is big. Usually fills up a large dufffle bag.
Yesterday I walked around our La Sierna store ( like a Super Walmart). And made note of the things they don’t stock that Wally World does. For instance....no rechargeable batteries.
I have the luxury of returning to the states often. And it is very close to the US. In an hour..I can be in Miami.
When picking a country to settle in. Take a lot into consideration
1. Don’t depend on Internet forums or information from the internet about your new country....most of its wrong
2. Make multiple trips there...for lengthy periods of time. During all seasons before deciding
3. Don’t jump in after one visit.
4. Do not live around other expats....that’s is only bad news
5. LEARN THE LANGUAGE....repeat.....repeat
6. Try to locate on the outskirts of a large enough city that you will have full services.
7. Learn the laws of the country
8. Keep enough money aside to use to travel back to the US if you decide you can’t live there any longer.
9. Be close enough to the US Embassy or a consulate that you can reach them.
10. Understand that most of you will fail at this new adventure....that’s true.

Most of you that read my posts know I don’t sugarcoat anything.

Expat living is not easy....it is difficult. Even for me and I have advantages that most of you will not have. I have the ability to frequently go to the US and I have a Dominican family here.

Most will fail during the first year.......Most
I would say generally that is sound advice.
my biggest frustration is I cant make sorghum here or buy it so I can not make BBQ sauce and you cant buy that either. or brown sugar

but otherwise its not really all that different as long as you behave like I'm sure all our mothers brought us up to be respectful and courteous to others generally you don't run into problems.

but honestly I don't see why your needing to import a duffle bag of goods every week.

that seems to me to be a bit extreme. and its really not that hard being an expat either
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to богдан For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2017, 08:04 AM
SBs Resident Non Prepper

Thanked 8,644 Times in 3,324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by богдан View Post
I would say generally that is sound advice.
my biggest frustration is I cant make sorghum here or buy it so I can not make BBQ sauce and you cant buy that either. or brown sugar

but otherwise its not really all that different as long as you behave like I'm sure all our mothers brought us up to be respectful and courteous to others generally you don't run into problems.

but honestly I don't see why your needing to import a duffle bag of goods every week.

that seems to me to be a bit extreme. and its really not that hard being an expat either
Not every week....every trip back to here from the US.

I buy all my daughter’s clothes in the US....cheaper and a lot better looking.
I buy all my small kitchen appliances in the US...cheaper...better quality
...on my list now is an Air Fryer.
The week before traveling back to the RD....I make a trip to Wally World and the duffle manages to get full. Lol.
Plus the food items I like to eat but are hard to get here.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Goodwrench708 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2017, 08:13 AM
Don't get me started

Thanked 30,506 Times in 10,683 Posts

Quote:
I have always been a anti-social person and I am pretty much a hermit. To me the USA feels like a growing tyranny and it is getting worse day by day. I do not like what I am seeing and I want to enjoy what time I may have.

This statement is a concern when it comes for reasons to move to a foreign country. Moving for new opportunities or adventure is good. Fleeing a repressive or dangerous area of the world makes sense as all the illegal and legal immigrants to the US attempt. Even moving to a new place where a meager fixed income will go further has valid principles.

But your reasons stated are not rooted in any of those. I hope it works out for you.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2017, 08:27 AM
Cave canem

Thanked 11,111 Times in 3,864 Posts

Quote:

Anyway, Thank you for your commentary.
I think it is great that you are moving to a little homestead in rural Hungary.

For a moment I thought "Gosh I wish I could do that" but then realized since I moved to the rural South a few years ago I love it so much I wouldn't want to go anywhere else. While I am also a hermit, the people are friendly, there is a strong sense of culture, and there is something about the land in the South that is hard to describe (sounds cliche but it has a presence of its own). If you can find that type of peace in Hungary you are wise to make the move and go! Life is short.

One challenge I would worry about in your case is good vet care though. I realize Hungary is NOT Russia, but I recall hearing just a few years ago people could not even get basic canine vaccines in Russia! So finding what we would consider "quality" vet care may be challenging, but hopefully if you find a good Hungarian vet that speaks some english and will write prescriptions you could order drugs/meds that you need online if they don't have them locally (assuming you still have an internet connection).

Not sure if you saw it, I mentioned it in your other post, I would also have bright neon orange collars (seen from 100 yards or more, not a fashion statement but a "look I am wearing a collar with tags" statement) and ID tags with contact info that would be relevant/mean something to people overseas if your dogs got lost during transport or shortly after arriving (i.e. full address/country with a couple of phone numbers including proper intl. calling codes). If you have proper ID tags it ensures you won't need them, if you don't have them then well...if something happened it would be a real nightmare.

Also think about dog food. Might be worth starting to cook part of your dog's food (rice/meat) now so when they arrive you can keep them on a similar diet.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to S610 For This Useful Post: