Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 07-17-2017, 01:08 AM
VIP Member

Default Water Shoes and Compression Stockings

Advertise Here

I've had to wear compression stockings every day since I was about 30 years old for varicose veins, but I don't want that to get in the way of my dreams of outdoor adventure. I went about 4 days without them once, because I was fishing on Lake Nip****ing in a 12' aluminum boat, and I wanted the freedom that other guys were enjoying in sandals.

That ended badly. I swelled up a lot, and had to lay down for several hours with my feet raised up on 3 or 4 pillows.

So, I could probably spend one day without them, but that would be the limit. On the upside, it seems that the regular socks (Kodiak) that I wear over them last forever. I can't remember the last time I had socks with holes in them.

I just bought this pair of water shoes for outdoor adventures where I'd be getting my feet wet:

Newport H2 Watershoes

What I need is an appropriate pair of quick dry socks to wear over my compression socks when I wear these water shoes.

The Kodiak socks I bought from Costco are too thick to wear with these shoes, and not a good choice when I can expect to be wearing these shoes where they were meant to be worn. These Sigvaris socks have been a real wet blanket on my ability to have fun in the water like others do, like boating, for example. I want that to stop.

I googled quick dry socks, and I got this page: The 10 Best Socks for Hiking

Merino wool comes up a lot in this list, but my intention is for summer fun, so I'm thinking these would not be a good choice.

I'm wondering if anyone here has used a good pair of socks while kayaking, or maybe walking in the water while wearing sandals or water shoes.

P.S. Your software censored the name of a beautiful lake in Ontario!! That's hilarious!

Last edited by Jack Daniels; 07-17-2017 at 01:11 AM.. Reason: Commentary
Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2017, 10:20 AM
Hunter

Thanked 3,569 Times in 1,226 Posts

Have you looked into any wading socks? There are several varieties out there. That might work for you. Take your sandals to the sports store and try some on. Other than that, I imagine a pair of silk dress socks would likely be the best bet, unless you can find a cheaper pair of nylon or polyester.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:03 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugh MacArawn View Post
Have you looked into any wading socks? There are several varieties out there. That might work for you. Take your sandals to the sports store and try some on. Other than that, I imagine a pair of silk dress socks would likely be the best bet, unless you can find a cheaper pair of nylon or polyester.
I've never heard of wading socks, but that's the kind of information I was after, so thank you. That is helpful. I have other types of socks that would work, but they are not made for outdoors activities.

Much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2017, 12:44 PM
Perspective provider.

Thanked 5,720 Times in 2,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Daniels View Post
I've had to wear compression stockings every day since I was about 30 years old for varicose veins, but I don't want that to get in the way of my dreams of outdoor adventure. I went about 4 days without them once, because I was fishing on Lake Nip****ing in a 12' aluminum boat, and I wanted the freedom that other guys were enjoying in sandals.

That ended badly. I swelled up a lot, and had to lay down for several hours with my feet raised up on 3 or 4 pillows.

So, I could probably spend one day without them, but that would be the limit. On the upside, it seems that the regular socks (Kodiak) that I wear over them last forever. I can't remember the last time I had socks with holes in them.

I just bought this pair of water shoes for outdoor adventures where I'd be getting my feet wet:

Newport H2 Watershoes

What I need is an appropriate pair of quick dry socks to wear over my compression socks when I wear these water shoes.

The Kodiak socks I bought from Costco are too thick to wear with these shoes, and not a good choice when I can expect to be wearing these shoes where they were meant to be worn. These Sigvaris socks have been a real wet blanket on my ability to have fun in the water like others do, like boating, for example. I want that to stop.

I googled quick dry socks, and I got this page: The 10 Best Socks for Hiking

Merino wool comes up a lot in this list, but my intention is for summer fun, so I'm thinking these would not be a good choice.

I'm wondering if anyone here has used a good pair of socks while kayaking, or maybe walking in the water while wearing sandals or water shoes.

P.S. Your software censored the name of a beautiful lake in Ontario!! That's hilarious!
Light merino socks are actually a good choice, but don't wear them over your compression socks i think. I seem to recall those don't really work well when they get wet, stretching more or less when they get wet/cold? (You'll probably know more about them in that regard).

Just some light smartwool socks or similar should do the job. You can always just use those shoes for water crossings, and not hike in them. Leave your socks out and dry your feet on the other side of the stream. For kayaking i can't help you.
Old 09-24-2019, 12:09 AM
Survivor

Thanked 22,102 Times in 7,002 Posts

What he ^^^^^^^ said!
Old 09-24-2019, 03:38 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 4,600 Times in 1,198 Posts

AHH, North Bay and all the surround.
BEEEEYYYOOOUUUTEEEFULLL country.

WHY not just wear your compression socks and be done with it,
OR
Just baggie over your compression socks and put on your shoes?

Sorry about your problem but it seems like keeping on those socks is better for you.
Old 09-24-2019, 07:12 PM
Target Shooter

Merino wool socks are not hot like you might think for the summer ...they breath.
Old 09-24-2019, 09:02 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 55,868 Times in 19,399 Posts

A brand called Vitalsox has been noted online as very fast drying. I can't say how well they last or do their job, but they are a brand of compression socks. I would assume that customer comments about fast drying would not require a degree in Soxology and could be reasonably trusted in that one respect.

At about $12 to $18 per type they aren't crazy expensive like some other fancy sports compression sock brands. They come in a range of styles and colors, so a pair might be worth a try out on your next wet feet adventure. Amazon sells a them.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
Old 09-25-2019, 05:36 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 30,182 Times in 9,940 Posts

The Best Moisture Wicking Sock
  1. D_ickies Dri-tech Moisture Wicking Socks. ...
  2. Footplus Copper Antibacterial Moisture Wicking Socks. ...
  3. Enerwear Cotton Moisture Wicking Crew Socks. ...
  4. Kodal Copper Infused Athletic Low-Cut Socks. ...
  5. MIRMARU Moisture Wicking Cushion Crew Socks. ...
  6. J&Q No Show Athletic Socks. ...
  7. Saucony Mesh Ventilating Socks.
Old 09-26-2019, 01:54 AM
Survivor

Thanked 15,831 Times in 8,399 Posts

You could try socks made from wetsuit material.

Or wear compression pants. And then not wear any socks.
Old 09-26-2019, 09:53 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 30,182 Times in 9,940 Posts

Wetsuit material isn't made to wick, it's made to hold a thin layer of watert against your skin.

Compression pants are a good idea...
Old 09-26-2019, 10:33 AM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,048 Times in 361 Posts

I'm a scuba diver and usually use neoprene booties with hard soles for most any water activity I do.
They sell lycra socks that some people use in their booties and wear them when they change to sandels after a dive.
Old 09-26-2019, 02:24 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,573 Times in 1,359 Posts

I wear SB SOX Compression Socks (20-30mmHg) as every day socks to combat ankle swelling. I haven't tried them in water so I don't know how that would work out. I get them from Amazon in lieu of higher priced medical hose.

I have been wearing them for a couple of years or more. They advised to replace them after six months but they are still adequate for me so I just keep going.
Old 10-27-2019, 12:26 AM

Simms makes a great pair of wading socks. Bought a pair to wear wading the flats in the Bahamas.
Old 10-27-2019, 01:32 AM
Stop YOLOing

Thanked 7,405 Times in 2,070 Posts

They make compression calf sleeves. (Amazon Link) If the varicose veins are in your legs and not your feet, these might work so you can wear whatever socks you want to. I wear them for running because I don't like how compression socks make my feet feel, then I wear super tight SB SOX compression socks for recovery after long runs.

Edit: Just saw the OP was 2017. Hope you found what you were looking for!