Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Article - bug out stoves kev Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 44 09-13-2017 02:32 AM
Texsport Dual Burner High Output Propane Stove (14207) Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 02-10-2017 12:42 PM
Watch: Build a DIY Small Alcohol Burner AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 01-11-2017 02:00 PM
Burner Phones Pegatech Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 45 11-23-2016 06:08 PM

Old 04-26-2017, 04:21 PM
Survivor

Thanked 15,229 Times in 3,773 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
I can't think of any instance when I would consider using an alcohol stove in my tent for any reason...for that exact reason.
Yeah, well I was young and foolish. And careless. Also tent bound in a gale force blizzard during a ski tour. Bad combination. Lesson irrevocably learned about 40 years ago.

For the carry weight & BTUs, I found solid tablets did the same job as alcohol or HEET. And I'll even risk 'em inside of a tent today (placed inside of an empty tuna can). But I won't generally cook inside of a tent without great care and a chunk of ground pad under a pressurized stove. Sometimes, it's just impossible to cook outside due to wind on a glacier or mountainside. And some mountaineering tents don't have floors anyway.

Part of my preference for heat tabs was the fact that, for decades, the Army just gave them to me for free. By the case. So they got habitual. The military Trioxane tablets burned with a very low blue flame visual signature, which was important during dusk/dawn/darkness hours in a patrol base.
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2017, 10:03 PM
Stop YOLOing

Thanked 7,387 Times in 2,067 Posts

My Bushbuddy weighs 5 oz, and my 1100mL pot with lid weighs 3.25oz. That's less than 8.5oz for the kit.

I also have the older version of the Pathfinder stainless steel cooking system, which seems awesome but I have to admit to not using it yet...haven't even played with it over a fire. It's a solid product though, and seems to fit the niche perfectly for a survival kit. It's basically a 1L stainless steel water bottle, which nests inside a stainless steel canteen cup. It comes with a screen that fits around the bottle inside the cup for storage, and that screen holds the bottle or cup off the ground for a small fire underneath it, or it holds the bottle/cup over a can of Sterno. I bought a fish mouth spreader to hang the bottle over a fire, too. It's in one of my kits. (As an aside, almost all of my water bottles are 1L because that's the dose of most water treatments.)

Here's the newer Gucci version with extra goodies. Mine has the bottle, cup, and the screen wrapped around a fuel can. I don't carry the fuel can, though.

https://www.selfrelianceoutfitters.c...venture-bag-5c
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Just Jeff For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2017, 05:53 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 22,944 Times in 7,101 Posts

Certainly not a twig stove.

But, for heating quick meals I sometimes keep a couple cans in my gear & multiples in vehicles.

One can has a 4 hour burn time, burns HOT & no smoke.

Diethylene glycol has a high heat of combustion at 2155kJ/mol vs 1300kJ/mol for ethanol and 726kJ/mol for methanol.

Same as this (this is gelled with fumed silica)

Last edited by bunkerbuster; 04-27-2017 at 03:09 PM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bunkerbuster For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2017, 03:08 PM
Survivor

Thanked 17,978 Times in 7,987 Posts

Bunkerbuster, you keep on finding neat new stuff to add to my pile of goodies. Thanks for the head's up on diethylene glycol fuel for trail use.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Optimist For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2017, 03:31 PM
Bear Magnet

Thanked 6,225 Times in 2,179 Posts

https://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...951&highlight=
I am a huge fan of the SoloStoves. Mine have proven reliable and indestructible. I own several and keep both the large and original size in several of my favorite hiding spots.
About the only thing I haven't tried burning in them yet is buffalo chips.
Good luck.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to biathlon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2017, 03:32 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 22,944 Times in 7,101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
Bunkerbuster, you keep on finding neat new stuff to add to my pile of goodies. Thanks for the head's up on diethylene glycol fuel for trail use.

Diethylene Glycol has been around a long time.

https://www.google.com/patents/US526...nbADoQ6AEILjAB

https://www.google.com/patents/US20130118057

https://www.bestglide.com/pyropac_gel_fuel.html

The trouble with it, it is relatively expensive in small amounts @ around $25 a gallon locally, if you can find a source.

Bulk amounts are a lot cheaper, but who wants to buy it in 55G drums or railroad tank cars amounts?

5 or 6 years ago, I bought a gallon, then gelled it with fumed silica, which isn't cheap either.

Its a really good "fire starter" & ration heat source.

The canned chaffing fuel stuff isn't gelled. They have wicks like a tiki torch.
Old 05-03-2017, 01:30 PM

Here are my instructions for a DYI one I made awhile ago.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PA Wilderness Skills For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2017, 03:07 PM
Hating the new Amerika.

Thanked 6,201 Times in 2,011 Posts

I use a Vargo Titanium Hexagonal Stove in my BOB. It weighs about 5 ounces with its case included. It folds small 6" hexagon and is about a quarter inch thick. All of the pieces are hinged. So, there are no parts to lose. I do add a tiny stainless steel cotter pin to the final locking tab to ensure the stove does not fall apart when used. When set up, it is a very small stove. It is about 6" wide at the base, 4" tall, and about 3" diameter at the top. I did modify mine. There are several videos on YouTube that demonstrate that. Anyway, I drilled 3/8" ventilation holes in my stove. I did 4 of the six sides with the following pattern. I drilled a series of 3 holes in small triangle on the bottom of each of the sides I drilled. I also drilled each of those sides just below the notched V on each side. Those holes were needed to help my stove breathe and burn a lot better. I left the door and the side opposite the door intact to help facilitate lighting (the door also serves as a damper). This stove will not be able to handle large pots, but it does work good after it gets modified. M
The Following User Says Thank You to kfilly For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2017, 01:57 AM
Prepared

This is the one I use:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTPTenSPqs4

This was easy to make, cost a whole $4 bucks and weighs almost nothing- a spirit stove fits inside and some other stuff..

I also have the Silverfire gasifier stove, it works great but it weighs more and costs a lot more.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gnepig For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2017, 06:19 AM
Part of the food chain

Thanked 2,230 Times in 774 Posts

In terms of value for money, the IKEA hobo stove hack has to be the winner. Yours for about five bucks!

http://www.ikeahackers.net/2011/11/ikea-hobo-stove.html
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Captain Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2017, 03:49 PM

I am a huge fan of trioxane, mainly because of how light and relatively small the tablets are. Up until recently, I was purchasing in bulk from eBay, but the prices have worked their way up and the supply seems to be growing very questionable. Does anyone know where else to source this in bulk for "cheap"?

And to be clear, I use this as a fire starter. Rarely do use cook solely off the trioxane, but it's definitely an option.
Old 10-02-2019, 07:53 PM

Default Mountain Ranger mk2 wood gas stove?

Can anyone help me to find info on the Mountain Ranger Mk2 wood gas stove build and the pocket version? Thanks for your help.
Old 10-02-2019, 08:02 PM

Default Mountain Ranger mk2 wood gas stove?

Can anyone help me to find info on the Mountain Ranger Mk2 wood gas stove build and the pocket version? Thanks for your help.

found the thread, thanks
Old 10-02-2019, 08:07 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 24,196 Times in 8,889 Posts

Go to the second hand store and buy some stainless steel cookie sheets. Use a 2nd hand wood chisel and a block of wood to cut out the pieces you marked from the pattern you download and printed.

Lots of stick burner designs that will also take a penny stove. They can fold up or interlock which is much easier to cut out.
Old 10-02-2019, 10:15 PM
Survivor

Glad to see this thread breathed back to life. I had forgotten about it after finally making a decision to purchase the Solo. Turned out to be a good stove and just what I wanted. Now part of my Vehicle/GHB kit.
The Following User Says Thank You to Astronomy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2019, 10:24 PM

What about Ranger Stoves the Mountain Ranger Mk2 wood gas diy stove. Anyone got info or contacts for this? The designer Karl was/is a member here? thanks for any direction.
Old 10-02-2019, 10:35 PM
Survivor

Sometimes it takes a bit (days) for the person you are seeking to catch the latest post... and reply. Somebody will come along with the info you need.
Old 10-02-2019, 11:09 PM
Prepared

This is what we have about those:

https://www.survivalistboards.com/sh...d.php?t=289489

Good luck grasshopper.
Old 10-03-2019, 01:31 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,923 Times in 790 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jack View Post
In terms of value for money, the IKEA hobo stove hack has to be the winner. Yours for about five bucks!

http://www.ikeahackers.net/2011/11/ikea-hobo-stove.html
I made mine for 50 cents. Goodwill store.
Really sturdy, light, and versatile. Can use twigs, alcohol burner. fuel tabs, (I like the 'expedition ' ones).
You can set a large pot on top or a smaller diameter one inside resting on metal tent stakes through the side holes.
Old 10-03-2019, 02:01 AM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 13,348 Times in 4,315 Posts

I have a few things for this purpose but I like this one the most:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post: