FarmerChads GreenHouse/Market Garden - Page 70 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Weedinhoe's 2018-2019 Garden Weedinhoe Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 1307 Yesterday 03:40 PM
Southeast Michigan, Pond's Edge Homestead & Garden 2014 - 2019 inMichigan Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 809 07-29-2019 04:25 PM
2017 Resolutions for Preppers kev Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 34 05-09-2017 11:56 AM
2017 Midwest Seed Swaps & Seed Libraries PondEdge Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 8 03-02-2017 12:33 PM
Mountain Valley Canned Garden Seeds (16 Varieties) Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 02-24-2017 09:45 AM

Old 08-23-2019, 10:02 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,424 Times in 557 Posts

Advertise Here

am loving all your posts, wish I lived much closer! your yummy stuff makes mouth water.....mmmmm…..
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to vivisky For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2019, 03:14 PM
Preparing

Thanked 11,241 Times in 7,307 Posts

^^ that. Mmmmmm
The Following User Says Thank You to LindaLou For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2019, 07:31 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,325 Times in 3,542 Posts

What do you think about selling homemade granola? I make it for us all the time, to put on yogurt, but it just occurred to me that I might be able to sell it.

I think we are about 3-4 hours north of you , not sure, but if we ever drive through the area I will come get one of your bagels!!
The Following User Says Thank You to sonya1 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2019, 04:50 PM
Market Farmer

Thanked 7,436 Times in 2,361 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

So itís been a couple weeks...

The bagel business has really taken off. So much so that for the Thursday and Saturday Markets I donít worry about regular breads. I just focus on Bagels. I did make some White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies, just for something else to have. Plus everyone loves cookies. The new Tuesday Market... still trying to figure that one out. Itís been a wee bit slow, so the jury is still out.

Soon it will be time to work on jams and jellies. And of course sausages! ĎĎTis the season.

Currently for the Thursday Market, I make about 13 dozen bagels. Usually come close to selling out. For this mornings Saturday Market I made 18 dozen bagels, plus cookies. I came home with 2 cookies. I sold out by about 11 am. I need to up my numbers just a bit more. The college kids are back to school and they always come to the Market hungry. Iím happy to oblige.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivisky View Post
am loving all your posts, wish I lived much closer! your yummy stuff makes mouth water.....mmmmmÖ..
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaLou View Post
^^ that. Mmmmmm
Thanks as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonya1 View Post
What do you think about selling homemade granola? I make it for us all the time, to put on yogurt, but it just occurred to me that I might be able to sell it.

I think we are about 3-4 hours north of you , not sure, but if we ever drive through the area I will come get one of your bagels!!
Granola seems like an interesting idea. Wonder about selling it prepackaged or by the pound? Could do both. See which sells better? I would also try a couple different flavors/types.

If you try this, keep us updated. Itís an interesting idea, with good profit potential. Especially if your Market has lots of hippies for customers.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FarmerChad For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2019, 07:43 AM
Homesteader

Thanked 5,919 Times in 2,650 Posts

My Saturday market was a fairly good one. It started out real slow and for a couple of hours I thought it was going to be a new record low (in traffic and sales). About 10:30 it started picking up and peaked out about noon with a steady flow of customers and sales. Quite dead after noon and our market closes at 1:00.

I sold a higher percentage of my produce than I've ever sold before. I had cucumbers, squash, onions, peppers and of course lots of tomatoes. Instead of selling my tomatoes in 2's and 4's, people were buying 10 at a time (quite common Saturday) and several bought larger quantities to process (it's canning season). I went home with maybe a dozen tomatoes (but I traded some off at the end of the day with a couple of the processed food vendors).

One lady made my day. She came from a neighboring town to buy my tomatoes because her neighbor told her that if she wanted good tomatoes, come to my market (I'm the tomato guy).
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mtnairkin For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2019, 07:50 AM
Homesteader

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerChad View Post
So it’s been a couple weeks...

The bagel business has really taken off. So much so that for the Thursday and Saturday Markets I don’t worry about regular breads. I just focus on Bagels.

Soon it will be time to work on jams and jellies. And of course sausages! ‘‘Tis the season.

Currently for the Thursday Market, I make about 13 dozen bagels. Usually come close to selling out. For this mornings Saturday Market I made 18 dozen bagels, plus cookies. I came home with 2 cookies. I sold out by about 11 am. I need to up my numbers just a bit more. The college kids are back to school and they always come to the Market hungry. I’m happy to oblige.

That bagel business sounds interesting. Do you plan to sell them all winter?

The mental picture of your sausages literally made my mouth water just now.

And do you sell your sausage hot and for finger food? Something to compliment your bagels.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtnairkin For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2019, 08:06 AM
I love this forum

Default pasta

Hey guys, this Aloha
Preparing the best pasta can be really difficult at first. It was almost impossible for us to master how to do it without proper step by step tutorial from professional chefs.
Iíve watched hundreds of tutorials online, but nothing beats this simple, clear to the cut video
Here: https://dausel.co/IG05s8
Clink the link above, and youíll land on an intermediate page, just click ď I am not a robotĒ to continue, and youíll land on the best Youtube Tutorial video on pasta cooking where it shows step by step on how to prepare al-dante pasta even if youíre a complete beginner.
I hope that someone show me this when I first learning how to prepare my first pasta dish. That could save me hours and hours of banging my head on the wall trying different methods out.
Again, you can watch the turorial here: https://dausel.co/IG05s8
Iím a almost 100% sure this tutorial is going to blow your mind away.
I am a big fan of this chef and he makes it ridiculously easy! No joke.
Hope it helps 
Aloha
Old 09-03-2019, 08:15 AM
Market Farmer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnairkin View Post
My Saturday market was a fairly good one. It started out real slow and for a couple of hours I thought it was going to be a new record low (in traffic and sales). About 10:30 it started picking up and peaked out about noon with a steady flow of customers and sales. Quite dead after noon and our market closes at 1:00.
Funny how it works, isnít it? My Saturday Mkt. started slow as well. Then once the customers started showing up, Katy bar the door.

Quote:
I sold a higher percentage of my produce than I've ever sold before. I had cucumbers, squash, onions, peppers and of course lots of tomatoes. Instead of selling my tomatoes in 2's and 4's, people were buying 10 at a time (quite common Saturday) and several bought larger quantities to process (it's canning season). I went home with maybe a dozen tomatoes (but I traded some off at the end of the day with a couple of the processed food vendors).
Gotta love trading with others. Farmers Mkts. have their own internal currency system, If you will. You have something of value, another Vendor has something of value. Itís all good.

Quote:
One lady made my day. She came from a neighboring town to buy my tomatoes because her neighbor told her that if she wanted good tomatoes, come to my market (I'm the tomato guy).
I knew it would happen. Congratulations!

Quote:
That bagel business sounds interesting. Do you plan to sell them all winter?

The mental picture of your sausages literally made my mouth water just now.

And do you sell your sausage hot and for finger food? Something to compliment your bagels.
Iím going to stick with the Bagels. I have become known as ďthe bagel guyĒ. I might as well embrace it.

Iím trying to decide if I want to take some sort of heater during the winter to warm the bagels, but that might invoke the Heath Dept. gotta be real careful. Which is the reason I sell the sausage as frozen. No HD. worries then. I have given out samples of Sausage cooked, just to engage customers. But itís always sold frozen.

Personally I canít wait for Sausage season to get going. But I really need to wait for the Tuesday and Thursday Mkts. to close for the season. Then I can focus on Sausages and Bagels for Saturday.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FarmerChad For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2019, 08:29 AM
Homesteader

I didn't think about it until yesterday (Labor Day) that the robust quantity sales might also have been because of people having cookouts for the Holiday weekend. ??
The Following User Says Thank You to mtnairkin For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2019, 01:20 PM
Market Farmer

Awards Showcase

Finally Slowing Down

Doing 3 Markets a week has left me with little time to do much else. Almost becoming a full time job.

I decided after several weeks of examination, the Tuesday Market isnt really worth the effort. So, for now, its just going to be the Thursday and Saturday Mkts. The Thur. Mkt should end around the first of Nov., and of course the Sat. mkt runs year round.

Now that I have some free time, I can get to a few projects that needs dealing with. Also, I want to present a few tutorials. If you are a frequent reader of my ramblings, you will know that in the past I have throughly covered what I considerer needed skils. In the past I have covered Cheese Making, Sausage Making, Meat Curing, Seed Sowing, etc. So, I do have a few tutorials in mind.

Before I get to my first tutorial, a few updates...

Market Updates

The Thurs. and Sat. Mkts. Have been crazy busy. I keep making bagels, the customers keep buying them. I have settled on quantities that I make for each one, and usually sell out, or come very close. Now that fall is around the corner, its getting closer and closer to time to make jam and jelly.

Last week the wife and I went to an orchard to get apples. Came home with 2 bushels. We didnt have an exact plan for the apples, I made some cider. I was so pleased with the cider, I took 8 quarts to the Sat. Mkt. and they sold like hotcakes.

This was a photo I used for promotional purposes. It was very, very tasty. Customers loved the samples and asked how long I would have it. My stock answer "as long as the local orchards have the apples".

Since it was such a success, we went back yesterday to the Orchard, this time buying 4 bushels.

Plenty of apples.

I had 1 box of last weeks apples leftover. Im attempting to boil down Apple Cider into Syrup. Ill post more about that later. For now, lets have a tutorial...

Coming right up.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FarmerChad For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2019, 02:38 PM
Market Farmer

Awards Showcase

Bread, Part 1

Bread is the stuff of life. For most folks, its comfort food. Lets start there. I plan to do several Bread posts, covering several types. We may have to live thru rough times ahead, but there is no reason to live like its a 3rd world country.

The first bread to cover, Bagels. Bagels were traditonal Polish breads made in some of the worst times. If they can do it, so can we. Plus, I had a member PM me wanting more info. This happened about the same I was thinking about bread tutorials. This post will cover everything I know about Bagels, distilled down to exactly what you need to know. Nothing more, nothing less. Lets get started...

Bagels

Making bagels is multistepped. Its not a traditonal bread in any sense. Just follow along. It will all make sense, with practice. Ill post the recipe I use, plus a scaled down recipe for home use.

I highly recommend weighing out the bulky ingredients. Specifically Flour and water. Bagel dough is 50% hydration, by weight. You will need digital scales or a set of balance scales for this. A decent set of digital scales can be had for about $30. They are a fantastic kitchen helper.

Kneading the dough. You could do this by hand, but it would take an hour to develop the gluten. Instead, use a bread mixer. Or better yet, acquire a used bread machine that has a dough cycle. You can find bread machines in yard sales and at thrift stores for $10 or so. I was suprised after some testing, that my bread machine (that gets used about once per year) made a better dough ball then my KitchenAid Mixer. For reference, I use a Bosch Universal Plus mixer for bagel making. It simply cant be beat. But, its quite spendy. Bagel dough will kill a KA mixer, trust me. Instead get the bread machine.

Recipe and Process

Large recipe, about 22 large bagels:

High Gluten Flour 2120 grams
Water 1060 grams
Sugar 8 TBSP
Salt 4 TBSP
Yeast 1 tsp

Small recipe, about 5 large bagels:

High Gluten Flour 530 grams
Water 265 grams
Sugar 2 TBSP
Salt 1 TBSP
Yeast 1/4 tsp

What ever mixer your using, all of the ingredients go in at once. If using a regular mixer, knead for 15 minutes. If using a bread machine, go for 30 minutes.

After the prescribed kneading, remove the dough ball. It should be neither wet nor dry. Not sticky at all. It will be a mass of dough, that is very stiff.

Immediately begin portioning out the dough. I like 154 grams for a single bagel.

Portion each piece out. Leftover dough can be made into a smaller bagel.

Shape each piece into a ball. Doesnt need to be perfect. Just make a ball.

Punch a hole in the middle. I use my thumb and middle finger.

Make all the holes at once.

Insert fingers.

While slowly spinning your hands around each other, stretch the dough. This just takes practice.

Invert the dough as shown, working it in a circleo help smooth it out.

Just a couple rotations and it smoothes out.

To be continued....
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to FarmerChad For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2019, 02:54 PM
Market Farmer

Awards Showcase

Continuing on..

Place dough on pans, cover, refrigerate for 6 to 24 hours. This is critical. Dont skip this step. You might notice the bagels are still a little lumpy. Thats perfectly ok.

After their time in the chill chest, notice how the dough has smoothed out a bit. They have very slowly risen, tightening the skin.

Into the water. The water should be really hot. Boiling is not required, but at least steaming. 2 minutes total time, flipping after 1 minute. Sometimes the bagel floats, sometimes they don't. If they sink, just knock them around a bit so they dont stick.

After the 2 minutes fish them out, and onto a sheet pan. I like to use parchment paper. Bake a single pan at 375 for 20 minutes or so. You just have to keep an eye on them, until desired doneness.

There you have it. Basic bagels that can then be modified, or topped however you like.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to FarmerChad For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2019, 06:42 PM
Homesteader

Hey thanks Chad. I really like that tutorial. I'm not a cook but I think even I can do that.

Do you get high gluten flour at a regular grocery store or a special supplier?

I actually have a couple of bread machines that I picked up at thrift stores for almost nothing. It's one of the things I see a lot at the thrift stores. People must get tired of making their own bread. I've gotten to like my homemade bread like I've gotten used to real tomatoes and the store bought stuff does not satisfy me anymore.

Will the average bread machine mix the large recipe 22 bagels?
The Following User Says Thank You to mtnairkin For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2019, 04:28 PM
gardener & news junkie

Thanked 4,700 Times in 1,941 Posts

Thanks for adding the step about chilling in the reefer. I've always let mine rise a bit on the counter top before tossing them in the pool but I'm going to do the chill method next time.

It will have to be the five bagel recipe if I do because the freezer is slam full right now.

Do you brush the tops of yours with anything to help the "everything" stuff stick? I've not and have just pressed the bagel gently into the stuff, giving it a slight twist but many times it's an uneven coating.
The Following User Says Thank You to Weedinhoe For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2019, 02:48 PM
Market Farmer

Awards Showcase

Todayís Market

This mornings market was fantastic as always. A little chill in the air, I started the morning with a flannel shirt. The sun warmed up fast though.

Customers were a little slow going, at first. I think the cool weather played a part in that. Eventually though, they came out in full force.

I took 14-15 dozen bagels, several bags of bagel chips, a bunch of Apple Cider, a few other odds and ends. Brought home a few bagels. Thatís about it. No complaints here.

Really need to get cracking on Jam and Jelly for the upcoming holiday season. People love that kinda stuff.

Quote:
Hey thanks Chad. I really like that tutorial. I'm not a cook but I think even I can do that.

Do you get high gluten flour at a regular grocery store or a special supplier?

I actually have a couple of bread machines that I picked up at thrift stores for almost nothing. It's one of the things I see a lot at the thrift stores. People must get tired of making their own bread. I've gotten to like my homemade bread like I've gotten used to real tomatoes and the store bought stuff does not satisfy me anymore.

Will the average bread machine mix the large recipe 22 bagels?
The high gluten flour that I use comes from a local wholesale distributor. Small bags can be ordered from kingarthurflour.com I would practice with flour you can buy locally first. The best option would be King Arthur Bread Flour, comes in a blue bag. Can be found in most grocery stores. This would let you practice before spending too much on shipping.

Bread machines certainly have their place. They are excellent at kneading bread dough. Maybe a little slow, but they work. I do know of a couple people who bake and sale at Farmers Markets, who only use these machines. They have an army of them, so to speak. Best part, as you discovered, if one breaks, just head to the thrift store. Pick up another for $10.

Baking in them is another story. They are limited too about 225 degrees or so. I wouldnít waste my time there. Just heat up the oven or grill, and bake your bread there.

My bread machine is a 2 pound machine. I would say that the small recipe is about the most it could handle. I donít think they make them any larger, but I could be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedinhoe View Post
Thanks for adding the step about chilling in the reefer. I've always let mine rise a bit on the counter top before tossing them in the pool but I'm going to do the chill method next time.

It will have to be the five bagel recipe if I do because the freezer is slam full right now.

Do you brush the tops of yours with anything to help the "everything" stuff stick? I've not and have just pressed the bagel gently into the stuff, giving it a slight twist but many times it's an uneven coating.
Chilling in the fridge really is for the better.

I donít brush the tops at all. As soon as they come out of the water, they get topped. I just sprinkle the seasoning on. Heavily.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FarmerChad For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 08:43 AM
Homesteader

What are bagel chips?

I know it was mentioned/suggested a while back but do you use (sell) packets of stuff like cream cheese to go with your bagels?

PS: I just reviewed your tutorial again. You do good tutorials, very detailed and thorough. I was at first thinking I'd have to convert all those grams to ounces but when I think about it I think my kitchen scale can be switched to metric. I'll look when I get off here.

Thanks again.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtnairkin For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2019, 01:33 PM
Market Farmer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
What are bagel chips?

I know it was mentioned/suggested a while back but do you use (sell) packets of stuff like cream cheese to go with your bagels?

PS: I just reviewed your tutorial again. You do good tutorials, very detailed and thorough. I was at first thinking I'd have to convert all those grams to ounces but when I think about it I think my kitchen scale can be switched to metric. I'll look when I get off here.

Thanks again.
Now days yes, I do offer packets of cream cheese. I buy them from my wholesale distributor.

As far as metric goes, once you get used to it, itís a-ok. It makes it far easier to scale recipes up and down. For instance, all of my sausage recipes are in metric. Most recipes are based on 1000 grams of meat. When I bring home a chunk of pork, I weigh it in grams. Letís say it comes out to 4500 grams. Just divide the meat weight by the recipe weight, and that tells you how much to scale the ingredients by. For example:

4500/1000=4.5

I now know to multiply all the ingredients by 4.5, in grams. So if the recipe calls for, letís say 10 grams of salt, I multiply by 4.5. 45 grams of salt is what I need. Itís far, far easier the scaling up and down with tablespoons and teaspoons. Which for the record, 45 grams of salt is about 2 tablespoons, plus 1 teaspoon, plus 1 heaping teaspoon. Or thereabouts.

Bagel Chips are stale bagels that are sliced thin, then rebaked. Kinda like a chip or a cracker. Very tasty with pimento cheese.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FarmerChad For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2019, 07:09 AM
GrowingFromScratch.com

Thanked 3,507 Times in 1,497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerChad View Post
So itís been a couple weeks...

The bagel business has really taken off. So much so that for the Thursday and Saturday Markets I donít worry about regular breads. I just focus on Bagels. I did make some White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies, just for something else to have. Plus everyone loves cookies. The new Tuesday Market... still trying to figure that one out. Itís been a wee bit slow, so the jury is still out.
You're going to have to remoniker yourself around here pretty soon... BakerChad!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Velvet Elvis For This Useful Post: