Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Standing watch - short story wtr100 Books, Movies & Stories 17 02-14-2018 05:40 AM
Not the typical dog thread kestak Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 28 01-22-2017 05:36 PM

Old 12-18-2016, 12:05 AM

Default Watch dog or guard dog

Advertise Here

So just wanted to ask and see what you guys think which do you prefer watch dog to let know when someone is coming or a guard dog big enough and strong enough to go after and bring down an intruder and which breeds do you like for each
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Jonnyboy88 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2016, 12:25 AM
Vigilant Curmudgeon

I prefer a watchdog... As I would enjoy taking pleasure in the maiming & demise of a burglar , or intruder.
I am home a lot ...so .. Pretty much, I am my own watchdog. & My food costs enough.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ratpacker For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2016, 03:03 AM

Many years ago, when my kids were toddlers, my city bred wife decided she wanted to live in the leafy suburbs. I'm also city bred and was opposed as it meant a longer commute, duller more materialistic people and yard work, all adding to my already 60 hr work week. Guess who won? But we did decide , as a part of our security preps, on a big scary watch dog. We found a reputable breeder af German Shepards. He met with us & the kids. Had us wait a few weeks extra til one brood ,from a select pair,was ready to be sold. We put the kids on his lawn with the three female pups and took home the one that played best with the kids. She was a borderline Big Bone Shepard. 75 lb.s even when running regularly with me. Seems females are natural guards of kids, hearth & home. She slept in the first floor family room. But she would regularly patrol the house, especially in the middle of the night, just to make sure that everyone was safely asleep in their beds. No stranger ever got between her and the kids. Anyone invited into the house was fine, but woe to the pizza guy who rang and tried to step thru the doorway screen door, without an invite. All this was instinctual. Later I did trian her to attack on command and react to a gun. Good alert barker too. She never hurt a kid, even when a very young cousin poked her in the eye for no reason. I have no doubt that if an adult had done that same poke, you'd be calling him Stumpy. We had her 11+ years. Best dog we ever owned. P S: it took me 20 years, but we did move back to the city.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to acropolis5 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2016, 03:17 AM
Viva la revolution!

Thanked 4,532 Times in 1,486 Posts

I know people that have trained "guard" or "attack" dogs. Don't make real great pets IMHO. Not real cuddly.

I love my dogs. Have always had big enough dogs that to people that didn't know them they "think they will bite". In all reality I seriously doubt that they would attack, but they might, you never know. AND they make great pets to just play with and enjoy.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Guntoteninfadel For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2016, 03:18 AM
Forward, into the fray!

Thanked 8,986 Times in 2,674 Posts

How 'bout both. I have a ratty little mystery mutt who hears every leaf falling and runs to the window to investigate. He does his share of barking. I also have two big dogs who are silent but deadlies.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BabyBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2016, 07:59 AM
Infidel

Thanked 1,997 Times in 622 Posts

best alarm system ever! Dogs not only tell you something isn't right, they show you too!!! And they always are glad to see you!!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 1010 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2016, 08:55 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,524 Times in 1,741 Posts

Watch dog,even a little yappy 10# ankle biter.

Oz. of prevention vs. pound of cure.
Old 12-18-2016, 12:12 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 10,983 Times in 5,386 Posts

I like the herding dogs as watch dogs. They are fiercely loyal and are as protective as they need to be. They go everywhere and love to be outdoors. They are affectionate dogs and good company.
Old 12-18-2016, 03:53 PM

Well I am mostly thinking about a guard dog for inside the house was wondering if anyone knows anything about the ones I am looking at
Old white English mastiff
Turkish Shepherd
Bouvier Des Flanders
Fila Brasile or Brazil mastiff

Almost all of them are said to have the protective instinct so strong that they don't need attack training and a lot of people say it a bad idea
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jonnyboy88 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2016, 04:40 PM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Thanked 62,599 Times in 8,963 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Consider an Airedale from a reputable breeder. Quite capable at both duties, as needed, and can hunt, too.

Just my opinion.
Old 12-18-2016, 04:40 PM
Survivor

Thanked 17,986 Times in 7,988 Posts

Little terrier who's trained to alert on intrusion works well for me. As somebody said, 'mystery mutt'....
The Following User Says Thank You to Optimist For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2016, 05:16 PM

I did not realize that they are still working bred Airedale's I thought they were show dogs now I have heard that a lot of the terriers do make good watch dogs because they have no fear but I have to coon dogs that stay outside that lets us know if anyone comes on the place what I am thinking about is one that if someone gets inside is going to be able to stop them or at least slow one down
Old 12-18-2016, 05:30 PM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Thanked 62,599 Times in 8,963 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnyboy88 View Post
I did not realize that they are still working bred Airedale's I thought they were show dogs now I have heard that a lot of the terriers do make good watch dogs because they have no fear but I have to coon dogs that stay outside that lets us know if anyone comes on the place what I am thinking about is one that if someone gets inside is going to be able to stop them or at least slow one down
You might have to look around some, but there are still good working Airedale breeders.

Just my opinion.
Old 12-18-2016, 06:04 PM
If I had a voice I'd sing

Thanked 22,511 Times in 5,593 Posts

IMHO if there are young kids around I just wouldn't want a dog big enough to seriously hurt them no matter how trained they are. With big dogs who are great with kids, everything is fine until it isn't. Then you read about it in the paper.

That's just my view and I realize not everyone will agree with me. You simply cannot be guaranteed that some day the dog won't turn and kill that child. It's impossible to guarantee.

I do have a big dog right now (a Newfy) but my kids are grown now.

Small dogs are everywhere and make great watch dogs, giving you time to get a firearm and investigate. If you leave a guard dog to watch your house while you're not home, there is a chance they will just kill the dog.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarco2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2016, 06:12 PM
Forward, into the fray!

Thanked 8,986 Times in 2,674 Posts

Unless you're willing to see your dog hurt, warning dogs are better. They warn you, distract the bad guys and keep them wondering if they need to watch their backside. Guard-attack dogs are a second weapon for you but they're easily out of action. Their instincts for fights are for animals, not men with weapons. They won't dodge a blow from a club and won't dive for cover from a gun.
The Following User Says Thank You to BabyBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2016, 06:13 PM

Well I might have to look around and turn kids are something you have to think about me and my wife don't have any now but we hop two one day then I handle it like my dad and uncles handled it with me my brother and our cousin's and that you never leave a dog loss around a kid they had all kinds of hounds German Shepherd and bull dogs when we were young and one of the adults would have it on a leash or they would be put up in a cage but we also were learned how to act and handle a dog but my dad did have a few we were just not allowed to go around so I know what you mean
Old 12-18-2016, 06:34 PM
IDon'tBelieveInGiraffes.

I prefer them just to be watchdogs, but my second oldest pooch will also guard and has proven it a few times. All the dogs listen to commands. The oldest one is cranky and doesn't move very fast because he had one of his back legs broken years ago, but he still barks and if he's able to get to the door he will keep you from coming in until you have permission.

The second oldest dog is a bit younger and even though he is all about getting attention, you don't want to make him mad. My dad was joking with me and threw a light punch at my arm and the dog chased him out of the house because he thought I was being attacked. He of course stopped though, when told to. I'm happy to have him because he stays at the house with my girlfriend while everyone else is at school and work. I know she's a lot safer with the dogs with her than if it was just her alone.

My younger sister has a large dog that sleeps in her bed with her, and you do not open that door without my sisters permission if she is in there.

We have three more that are good guard dogs, two are mixed breeds and one is a Yorkie. They are all thee good watch dogs, but are too small to do much other than bite ankles.

All of our dogs are rescues, and our 4 cats are as well. One of the mixed breed dogs is old and she has seizures, and the other is the son of that dog and he is blind.

The first three dogs, the ones I trust to be guard dogs, are all pit bulls. They are rescues, and we had a fourth pit who was actually the first dog we ever rescued, but he had to be put down after he got cancer and it got real bad.

The thing about pit bulls, is that they didn't get the whole "killer dog" reputation by themselves, they are actually really good dogs. The people who train them to fight are the ones who gave them that reputation. They are, however, strong dogs and very intelligent. They are great with kids, but just out of common sense don't let the brat who likes to kick and punch and pull tails and poke eyes near a pit. If the kid hurts a pit or another animal or person, the pit will probably defend itself or anything else. When some brat punches a pit and gets bit, they will put the pit down. When someone kicks in my front door and my pits maul them, some idiot will probably want my pits put down.

What I'm trying to say is, be careful with the breeds that everyone gives a bad reputation too. Even a German Shepherd is an evil killer in some peoples minds. When you get a breed that has a high prey drive, or a breed that has a bad reputation, some people will go any extent they can to get your dogs taken away and put down.

I actually had some older gentleman tell me that I needed to put up "Beware of Dog" signs in SPANISH under the ones I had in English because if some kid who didn't speak English gets bit after going over my fence and kicking in my door, I would be in jail. Apparently some people don't understand that a growling, snarling, snapping dog that weighs 80+ pounds isn't trying to cuddle and you need to stop being a criminal and start running.

Be careful with the way you present yourself and your animals before a SHTF situation. After SHTF however, it shouldn't matter and it will all be irrelevant.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to David Bevis For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2016, 06:53 PM

Wow I thought that a pit bull would not have it in them for guardian work. was the one that run your dad out of the house a pit? also isn't 80 pounds kind of big for one I thought they run between 40-50. whichI will admit I grew up in the poorer part of town so the few pits I have seen were owned by the outlaw taps. Just wondering two what were the kind that you said your sister keep
Old 12-18-2016, 07:51 PM
IDon'tBelieveInGiraffes.

The one that ran him out of the house was a pit and my sisters dog is a pit as well, they are the only large dogs we have. And most of them are around 40-50 pounds, but our largest one is the one with the messed up leg and he is actually 80 pounds and is about twice as tall as our other two. Not sure why he is so big, but he is tall and heavy. Usually pits aren't very good guard dogs, but the three we have are for some reason very loyal and protective. They are rescues who were abandoned and abused by previous owners, and that might have something to do with it.

I should clarify, we have two houses and my camper on one property and there are three dogs in each house, they aren't all together. There are also two cats and a rabbit in one house and two outside cats. Me and my girlfriend live in he camper but she goes in my parents house during the day and there are three dogs in that house, the pit that is my sisters, a rescue that has seizures, and the pit that chased my dad out of the house. The other house is my grandmothers and has the 80 pound pit, the blind rescue, the small Yorkie that we rescued, two cats, and the rabbit lol a lot of animals, I know.

Not every large dog we have ever had has been a watch or guard dog, we had a boxer that my dad rescued that I don't think ever met a stranger in his life he was so friendly lol we also had a mixed breed dog that I think was part lab or Golden Retriever that was the same way before someone came into our yard and poisoned her.

It's all going to depend on the individual dog, and you'll notice differences in different dogs of the same breed. We rescued two male Chihuahuas when I was little, one of them was the nicest little dog in the world and the other took about 8 years before he finally decided he didn't want to kill everything in the world that moved.

My grandmother had Dobermans when my dad was growing up and she had two from the same liter, one male and one female, that were sick. The female died and the male never got half as big as a typical Golden Retriever. The male was the best dog they had ever had, he would even corner someone and not let them get in or out after they shut the door until he was told it was ok. After he passed, they kept trying to get another Doberman but they all had issues with either being aggressive, or impossible to train even after years of trying.

Once I get a portion of the yard fenced in separately around my camper, I have a female Australian Shepherd/German Shepherd/something else mix that is also a rescue that I'm going to bring back from my girlfriends parents house (she had to stay with them because I couldn't keep her at my last place)and she is a good guard dog, but she was abused and she can't stay cooped up inside of a small house or anything like that because she gets snappy when she is cornered by someone she doesn't know very well. That is why I'm fencing in an area for her, she can go in and out of the camper when she wants to do so.

I wouldn't recommend going for breed specific dogs, I would recommend going to your local shelter and spending some time with the dogs that are there. Whatever dog you feel like you will be able to take care of the needs of, will be the dog you could best bond with. If you can go on walks, run around your yard, play a lot, take with you on chores around the property, and be generally active with then an active breed will be good for you. If not, then don't get an active breed or mixed with an active breed. Active breeds can develop issues, both medical and behavior related, if they are forced to remain cooped up a lot.

I actually prefer mixed breeds because they usually don't have many of the health issues that are associated with pure breeds, mainly because those genes can be pushed out by the stronger genes of a breed that doesn't have those weaknesses. They generally live longer and are healthier. The main reason we rescue a lot of pits is because they are more likely to be put down than a Poodle, not because of any breed specific traits.

I apologize for typing so much and making these so long, I'm just trying to help out as much as I can here lol
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David Bevis For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2016, 09:01 PM

Really appreciate it I have not really thought about a rescue but it could be worth thinking about just wondering have you ever had a rescue dog besides the ones you have now that you felt would at least try to stop a intruder