vigilant20's 2016 urban homestead (and farm work!) - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Southeast Michigan, Pond's Edge Homestead & Garden 2014 - 2019 inMichigan Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 809 07-29-2019 04:25 PM
vigilant20's 2015 garden / urban homestead vigilant20 Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 54 12-03-2015 04:56 PM
Lil Urban Homestead in Oklahoma wildartist Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 84 07-29-2014 10:56 PM
How to Plan a sustainable Urban Homestead IronBeard Urban Survival 18 05-15-2013 08:00 PM
Work day at the Homestead kev Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 14 01-24-2013 09:27 PM
The Urban Homestead Book Mic Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 7 10-03-2011 11:52 AM
The urban homestead video chopper dave Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 0 09-11-2010 11:54 AM
Urban Homestead... Path to Freedom 123Testing Urban Survival 44 03-30-2010 11:21 AM
Your New Homestead Won't Be Ready Until 2016 stonecypher Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 19 08-21-2009 06:07 PM
Useful site for Farm/Homestead plans emill Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 2 07-29-2008 08:55 AM

Old 09-10-2016, 07:52 PM
Homesteader / Workershare

Thanked 3,777 Times in 1,100 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Advertise Here

It was cool and drizzly this morning for my workershare shift, but the weeding had to go on! At least until I was finally rained out and had to retreat inside to work on trimming garlic.

Back home the front yard cabbages are coming in. Most of the broccoli bolted, but the good broccolis and the cauliflowers are starting do their thing too.

I've finished dehydrating parsley, oregano, and basil and got them processed for storage.

For the food portion of this post, yogurt! I've been making so much yogurt in the Instant Pot for the last few weeks. I remember hearing other traditional foodies saying they eat some pretty large amounts and thinking they were crazy. But I tried a new culture and I've just been craving it like crazy even after having 2 cups every morning.

Quick reply to this message
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to vigilant20 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2016, 09:43 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 2,892 Times in 1,182 Posts

Good evening,
DW just saw you using an Instant Pot, we have one too. She did not realize it could be used to make yorgurt. Can you tell us how?
inMichigan
The Following User Says Thank You to inMichigan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2016, 09:48 PM

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

Quote:
Originally Posted by inMichigan View Post
Good evening,
DW just saw you using an Instant Pot, we have one too. She did not realize it could be used to make yorgurt. Can you tell us how?
inMichigan
These are good directions http://www.teamyogurt.com/posts/2016/3/30/making-yogurt-in-an-instant-pot-is-it-worth-it
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vigilant20 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2016, 10:43 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 2,892 Times in 1,182 Posts

Another quick question- we had trouble making mozzarella cheese when we used the milk from the dairy down the road, when we used "generic" supermarket milk we were successful. We suspect it had something to do with the dairy milk being heated to too high a temperature during pasteurization. Do you think it would be the same with yogurt, that we should stick to the "generic"?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inMichigan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2016, 10:48 PM

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

Quote:
Originally Posted by inMichigan View Post
Another quick question- we had trouble making mozzarella cheese when we used the milk from the dairy down the road, when we used "generic" supermarket milk we were successful. We suspect it had something to do with the dairy milk being heated to too high a temperature during pasteurization. Do you think it would be the same with yogurt, that we should stick to the "generic"?

I'm using raw milk with no issues . It's just not raw anymore if you use this method. You can make yogurt using lower heat if you'd like it to stay raw, traditional cooking school has a popular method posted that adds gelatin to add nutrients and help it set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vigilant20 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2016, 12:44 PM

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

This weeks shot of the farm. I was tending to the leeks...we're in a weeding frenzy to make sure everything looks pretty for our second farm dinner on the 1st.

Most of my week was actually spent in Cincinnati visiting the Creation Museum, Ark, Aquarium, and antiquing. I came home with a Wagner to finish off my little cast iron collection.

Back home, the apples are ready!

And I'm still working on that pumpkin puree...this time with Light and Fluffy Pumpkin Pancakes

1 1/4 cups flour
2 TBSP sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup milk
6 TBSP pumpkin puree
2 TBSP melted butter
1 egg

Mix together dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, combine wet ingredients. Fold together and drop by 1/4 cup onto a skillet. Cook about 3 minutes per side until brown. Makes about 8 pancakes.
Old 09-18-2016, 01:14 PM
King of Canada

Thanked 9,057 Times in 3,121 Posts

Just found this thread!

Looks like a lot of fun!

My woman and I, just bought our first home a few days ago. We're planning on growing a large front yard/back yard garden. I miss having a garden.

We live pretty far north and have a short growing season, so we'll be starting our plants indoors until the last frost.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HeavyHauler For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2016, 02:08 PM
Deplorable and 3%

Thanked 25,500 Times in 5,381 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHauler View Post
Just found this thread!

Looks like a lot of fun!

My woman and I, just bought our first home a few days ago. We're planning on growing a large front yard/back yard garden. I miss having a garden.

We live pretty far north and have a short growing season, so we'll be starting our plants indoors until the last frost.
Hey HH. You should look in to vertical and high density farming. You can do a lot with a relatively small area and grow, using pots, inside.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Darthmuerte For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2016, 10:04 AM

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

Saturday was arm day! Hand pulled the largest weeds then hoed the fennel and leeks to continue pertying up for the dinner.

Now that fall is here and soon the garden won't be keeping me busy anymore, I'm ramping up with my fitness plans. I setup Beachbody on demand and am a week into P90, started Shakeology this morning, and got my new Fitbit!

While the weather's nice I have my walking buddies for lunch walks through the new little preserve by the office too

Back in the garden, I'm still bringing in goodies.

But mostly I've been clearing out beds. I finally cut down the grape vine and will put in a table grape in spring.

Old 10-02-2016, 06:21 PM

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

I was actually excited to get a weeding chore this week at the farm even in drizzley weather, because I had so much fun with the diamond hoe last week. I used it on a row of little fall spinaches this time and it is amazing. I've got one of these on my wishlist now.

She's between carrot crops, which is perfect because mine are ready now. And I'm really loving the rainbow of colors.

In fact, today I used carrots, celery, and parsley from the garden to contribute this this new Instant Pot recipe. It's reallllly good.

1 cup wild rice, dry
2 TBSP butter
1 onion, diced
3 carrots, diced
3 stalks celery, diced
5 cups bone broth
12 oz chicken, raw and diced
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 TBSP parsley (1 TBSP if dried)
2 TBSP arrowroot powder (or cornstarch)
4 oz cream cheese, cubed
1 cup cream

Add wild rice and 3 cups water to Instant Pot. Put on lid and hit Manual button. Leave at 30 minutes. When done quick release pressure. Pour rice into colander and set aside.

Replace pot and select Saute Add butter, onion, carrot, and celery and cook until tender. Add broth, chicken, wild rice, salt, pepper, and parsley. Replace lid and hit Manual button. Adjust to 5 minutes. When done, quick release pressure.

In a small bowl, dissolve arrowroot powder in 2 TBSP water. Add arrowroot mixture and cream cheese to the pot. Stir until cheese is melted, hitting Saute for a few minutes if necessary. Ensure heat is off, then add cream.
Old 10-16-2016, 03:43 PM

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

Fall at the farm Last week my Farmer's Saturday market ended, so we're working together again. We got a cover on the third hoophouse and weeded the baby spinaches growing within. This week we prepped and planted 4 rows of garlic.

Yesterday, I also interviewed for a trainee position to prep someone into a future partner at a biodynamic farm. We had some good discussion and I really enjoyed touring the farm and meeting all of their pastured pretties.

My own gardens are nearly done being put to bed for the winter.

[/url]

I've already brought in the white beans and got a quart from it's 16 feet along the fence. The black beans will come in later this week when things dry out again, but I usually get twice at much from them.

And I'm busy working on nibbling on potatoes in hopes that I can get down to a crate to store so I don't have to do anymore canning this season. This is Instant Pot Potato Soup

8 medium potatoes, diced
1 carrot, diced
1 small onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups bone broth
3/4 cup cream
4 oz Butter
salt & pepper, to taste

Add potatoes, carrot, onion, garlic, broth, and butter to your Instant Pot. Use manual setting to cook on high for 10 minutes. Quick release pressure and pour half of contents into steam safe blender. Blend until smooth and return to pot. Add cream and season with salt and pepper.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vigilant20 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2016, 04:08 PM
Deplorable and 3%

Thanked 25,500 Times in 5,381 Posts

Good luck on the job Vigilant.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Darthmuerte For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2016, 09:59 AM

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

Isn't the greenhouse gorgeous?

This week we put up some low tunnels to protect the greens at the farm. My farmer sent me home with some of the extra plastic, so I cobbled together a little something to let my carrots and potatoes overwinter...because I'm in no mood for more canning at this point.

[

I brought home lettuce and spinach and this lovely bouquet of kale as my pay.

At my friends hobby farm, the piggies have arrived! These little ladies will be mothering my future bacons.

Finally, in my own garden...most of the cabbage, cauliflower, and broccoli are finally doing their thing.

And I started bringing in the Cherokee Trail of Tears

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vigilant20 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2016, 07:55 PM

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

The theme of this weeks farm shift was bouquets :D

At home, I've got some beautiful cauliflower ready and a bunch of broccoli aren't far behind. It's going to be soups for a while!

The Barred Rocks my friend has been raising for me finally came home to freezer camp. I got 10 this time around. I think I'll add another half dozen more next year. We've discussed switching to Freedom Rangers, which I'm super excited about. I actually just pressure cooked a ranger from the farmers market this week and the meat was super flavorful.

I also agreed to do part of a steer she's having processed in December, and to get in on the first of the piggies in spring....so I actually just finished doing a freezer inventory as I'll need to clean up lots of space in here. Here's what I'm starting with:

12 chickens, 4 bags chicken bones for broth, 2 bags of chicken breasts, 1 bag of chicken thighs, 1 bag of chicken wings, 3 lbs butter, 1 lb lard, 1 bag crappie fillets, 2 salmon fillets, 9 lbs ground beef, 1 lb ground lamb, 2 lbs ground venison, 2 hamburger six packs, 5 packs bacon, 1 pack pigs feet, 1 bag of short ribs, 1 beef roast, 1 inside round roast, 1 london broil, 4 round roasts, 1 sirloin tip roast, 3 lb breakfast sausage, 1 pack brats, 1 summer sausage, 2 ny strip steaks, 3 rib steaks, 5 sirloin steaks, 1 t-bone steak, 2 tenderloin fillets, 2 top sirloin steaks, 1 pack beef liver
So...look for more meat recipes to come, including this one using ground beef from the freezer and lots of CSA goodies.

Instant Pot Stuffed Pepper Casserole

1 lb ground beef
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 bell peppers, diced
1 handful spinach, chopped
1 pint (or 14.5 oz can) diced tomatoes, with liquid
8 oz tomato sauce
1/2 cup bone broth
1/2 cup dry rice (I used soaked brown basmati)
1 TBSP Worstershire sauce
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 cup shredded mozzarella

Use sauté function to brown beef with onion. Add all remaining ingredients except mozzarella. Hit cancel button and switch to manual for 4 minutes. Hit cancel when done and allow to naturally release pressure for 10 minutes. Quick release remaining pressure and pour mixture into a casserole dish. top with mozzarella and put under broiler for several minutes until browned.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vigilant20 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2016, 07:32 PM

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

We've had our first freeze. When I got to the farm this morning it was 30 degrees. But by the time I was done prepping and planting a row of lettuce it was t-shirt weather in the hoop house.

r

And a shot of one of my late season paychecks

In my own garden, I've harvested the first of the saffron, which really caught up once I put a mini-tunnel over it to protect it from rabbit damage.

And the broccoli and cauliflower have been going crazy

I've finished a month of P90 and began the first week of the new Core de Force MMA Style workout that Beachbody released and am LOVING it. I've only lost 6 pounds so far but the programs are really making a big difference. Last weeks chore at the farm was hoeing, and I did 3 rows compared to the 1 row I finished last time she had me working on it. My farmer was so happy I got a big thank you text from her. Getting #farmfit :D

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to vigilant20 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2016, 04:18 PM

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

Most exciting thing first...I'm starting an online certificate program for organic farming through UMass. I'm registered for Postharvest handling of Fruits and Vegetables for Winter Term and these books are for Pastured Poultry in Spring.

We got our first flurries today It was pretty close to freezing in the greenhouse, but it was nice to be out of the wind for my shift at the farm this morning was thinning lettuce.

Back home, I harvested saffron from a few more flowers. I think I have a couple weeks before I have to dig up the bulbs for winter.

I treated myself to new shoes for my workouts and I've loving them. But more importantly, I dehydrated a couple jars of kale to add to my smoothies this winter

Old 11-26-2016, 04:31 PM

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

Hope everyone had a happy Thanksgiving! I've been mainly busy getting a head start on the books for my classes. Peaches is helping me out here :D

I also used my days off to demolish the 8'x3' storage closet built into my spare room. One of the benefits of starting to become more of a minimalist is I don't need the closet space anymore! Three good things about this are: 1) Now I've got plenty of floor room in my gym for the workouts I've been doing. 2) When I setup my seed starting table in spring I'll still have room to walk through here. 3) And I'll be ready to sell next time around...the room not being usable as a bedroom was the main complaint people had when I had the place listed. I plan to deal with the floor and ceiling in spring when I'll have tax return money to buy supplies. For now I ended up pushing the treadmill on that side to cover the holes in the carpet :D

And the view in the spinach hoophouse! My farmer gave me a Thanksgiving gift of a short shift just walking the fields with her and harvesting for myself. I brought home a big bag of spinach this week to dehydrate for green powder

Old 11-26-2016, 05:50 PM
straight shooter

Thanked 5,292 Times in 1,646 Posts

Great thread! Thanks for all the eye candy...especially the artichokes.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OKCorral For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2016, 03:18 AM
King of Canada

Thanked 9,057 Times in 3,121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthmuerte View Post
Hey HH. You should look in to vertical and high density farming. You can do a lot with a relatively small area and grow, using pots, inside.
Hey Darth, just saw this now.

Thank you for the advice, I'll definitely look into it.

I was thinking of raised garden beds, hanging sets from the garage and building a small green house behind the garage where it receives a lot of sun throughout the day.

I would like to grow somethings indoors, mainly just to get a headstart on the growing season; but maybe keep growing a few things inside.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HeavyHauler For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2016, 06:18 PM

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

It was below freezing and flurrying for this weeks workershare shift. I found all of the veggies snuggled up under t heir blankies.

After tending to some sick lettuce, I picked a big batch of spinach for myself for more green powder! I hope to have a jar or two put aside for the 3ish months I'll be out of work until next season.

Back home we're under our first snow accumulation, so I've retreated indoors. I was lucky to find help to start work on the new ceiling in the gym. I had planned to paint it white, but I'm really digging how it looks. We should be able to finish up next week.

I got excited and ordered the rest of the books for my program...at least those they currently have published. A couple classes didn't have any yet. I already finished the Chick one. I'm taking a week or so break to read a fun book then it's on to the next textbook!

The Following User Says Thank You to vigilant20 For This Useful Post: