CityKitty's 2015 - 2019 garden - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
dealfinder500's Thread dealfinder500 Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 1802 11-16-2019 07:43 AM
IceFire's 2015 - 2019 Garden IceFire Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 497 10-15-2019 08:38 PM
Two Bits 2015 Garden two bits Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 127 03-22-2016 10:57 AM
H0ll0P01NTs Pacific NW Garden Thread 2015 H0ll0P01NT Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 4 12-11-2015 09:27 PM
vigilant20's 2015 garden / urban homestead vigilant20 Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 54 12-03-2015 04:56 PM
How does you garden grow 2015 kelee877 Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 80 11-15-2015 02:38 PM
Darwath's 2015 Garden Lord Darwath Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 44 08-28-2015 12:13 PM
My 2015 Container Vegetable Garden: Let's Try This Again! The Shadow Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 2 05-01-2015 05:32 PM
CityKitty's 2014 garden citykittyatheart Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 96 04-13-2015 09:27 AM
CityKitty's 2013 Garden Thread citykittyatheart Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 65 10-21-2013 09:52 AM

Old 04-13-2015, 09:52 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,730 Times in 851 Posts
Default CityKitty's 2015 - 2019 garden

Advertise Here

Hello everyone,

It's that time of year, and I've been busy in my garden. I don't have pics just yet, largely because I don't want to bore you by showing you stuff that you've already seen. I will begin with a summary of what's going on however.

My first seedlings went into the ground this weekend. Broccoli and cauliflower into the raised beds, potatoes were direct seeded into another one of those. The fourth will have beans, which aren't cold tolerant therefore aren't planted yet. You all may remember my basic setup: four raised beds, 4'x4' each. This year I'm putting in another raised bed in front of those, 4'x 8' x 10" made of untreated wood. There's a program in the area whose volunteers install these for a nominal fee and I thought the labor of younger backs was worth it. Sadly, they won't dig the grass as I'd like. I have laid cardboard over the top in order to kill the grass. I'm planning tomatoes, bell peppers, and perhaps some herbs or salad greens for that bed. I'm also going to toss the two surviving artichoke plants in there.

The garlic and strawberries are coming up. I've moved the comfrey plant out of that half circle since it was taking over the space. I haven't seen any of the perennials I've been planting along that edge (lavender, oregano, parsley, rapini) but I assume they're there. We can still get a good freeze here, but it was warmer than last winter so I assume they're coming along in their own time. I'm wondering if I'll get any berries this year; it's the third year on that berry patch so I hope so! I'll have to get there before the rabbits do however, or put some bird netting down.

My deck garden is also set up and the cold-tolerant stuff has been direct seeded. That's mostly salad greens: two kinds of lettuce, two kinds of radishes, broccoli raab, and I'm trying mesclun this year. I'm also going to try my hand at fruit trees. I've ordered two dwarf plums from Stark Bros nursery, and have downloaded the relevant files from the Files area here. I'm debating a couple of dwarf apples from Amazon but really, I like to try new things on a small scale. I also had two broccoli & one cauliflower plant extra taking up my extra pots on the deck. I just hate to waste a perfectly good seedling The other stuff going on the deck this year is cucumber and cantaloupe. I'd really like to fit some pumpkins in somewhere even though my luck with them the last two years hasn't been the greatest. I think I need to expand my seedling table!

For container soil, I went back to potting soil but not Miracle Gro. There was a pile of soil from a lesser known company (Timberlane I think) and seriously, 20 bags of 0.75 cu ft was cheaper than 15 bags of MG at 1 cu ft by about $20! Also haven't been really happy with MG although it was better than the "garden soil" crap that I got from a local nursery last year! This year I'm prepared to deal with the powdery mildew that came with it. I've purchased some stylet oil and some Azamax along with a 1 gal sprayer. Seriously, I love Amazon gift certificates!

That's about it for now. I'll get some pics up for you ASAP, and thanks again for following my thread. Suggestions and questions are welcome. In the meantime, happy gardening/prepping!

Last edited by kokosmom2; 05-05-2019 at 08:46 PM.. Reason: changed title to current year
Quick reply to this message
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to citykittyatheart For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2015, 08:21 PM
Preparing

Thanked 11,250 Times in 7,312 Posts

Sounds like an interesting start to this years garden.

Can't wait to see your usual gorgeous pics.

Hurry up!
Old 04-13-2015, 08:26 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 2,892 Times in 1,182 Posts

Nice to hear of volunteers helping to build raised beds!
Good Luck!
inMichigan
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2015, 03:44 AM

what type of wood do you use for your raised beds?
Old 04-14-2015, 09:11 AM
Hunter

I'm not sure what type of wood the new bed is made of to be honest, I only know that it's untreated. My other four raised beds are made of plastic.

Pics when I have something to show
The Following User Says Thank You to citykittyatheart For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2015, 03:11 PM
Hunter

OK there's been a bit of progress. The weather has been gravitating between nice gardening weather and cold & crappy. Today is the latter; we've even had snow flurries! There was just enough white on my neighbor's roof to make me think of putting my milk jugs in the cold frames. The stuff that's out now is cold tolerant but everything has its limits!

Here's my broccoli bed. The plants are hanging in there, and you might be able to see the jugs. Cold frames are a good thing!

Cauliflower bed, as above. The unfortunate thing is, the soil temps aren't the best. When I tested a couple of weekends ago it was 40F, which is a touch cold for planting. Since it was really nice I figured it would warm up and everything would be OK. Sigh.

Garlic OTOH seems to love this stuff. Go figure.

Here's a wide shot of my lower garden. You can see where the new raised bed is going to go. Sadly, laid right on top unless I dig that grass myself. I might too!

There are a lot of things growing in this half circle, but those don't look like strawberries to me! Might have to redo that one.

I had thought I'd moved this comfrey bush. The online pics don't do justice to how big these are capable of getting! Obviously I need to work more on that. It would be much happier in a different part of my yard where it would have more room, and could replace the parts of my old hedge that the morning glory has been killing off.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to citykittyatheart For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2015, 03:18 PM
Hunter

Now the deck. All I've got out right now are the more cold-tolerant things of course. Here's the VegTrug, under a plastic tent that I acquired by accident when ordering for the other two plastic beds. I ordered two, they sent three at no extra cost. Thank you and blessings!

Here's a peek underneath the plastic. I don't have any more milk jugs at the moment, so I improvised using some old food containers painted black. It'll work for now, although they won't last that long either. Just long enough to save some more jugs!

My greenhouse is protecting what it can. Broccoli on top, then cauliflower, and the container I use for rapini. I was glad to see that it fit in there

Lowest monkey pot with lettuce and another container. It'll get covered again tonight, believe me! There's spinach sprouting in the upper pots and since this one is located pretty much out of the wind I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to citykittyatheart For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2015, 03:23 PM
Hunter

Updating the other stuff briefly-potatoes haven't sprouted yet, either in the raised bed or the pots on the deck that I just couldn't leave empty. The seedling table has 20 tomatoes, 11 bell peppers, and enough cantaloupe & cucumbers to fill the earth boxes. All of that warm loving stuff is very happy indoors thanks and staying there until Mother's Day! The fruit trees haven't shipped yet due to the weather issue. And for the record, I do my best to rotate stuff in the raised beds. Hopefully it'll work.

That's it for now! Thanks as always for following my thread.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to citykittyatheart For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2015, 02:07 PM
Hunter

OK, today is a very nice day so I got out to do a few things. It's also warm enough to take the plastic off for the day at least so I thought I'd update you.

Here's a long shot of the broccoli & cauliflower beds. The plants are making more progress than I thought they would! Only yesterday I was wondering if trying to lengthen my growing season was really doing me any good, or was I making much work for very little gain. Looks to me like the plants are getting well established!

My very first potato is peeking out! I was weeding in this bed and accidentally yanked this. When it came out with a chunk of potato attached I put it back gently with my apologies. Hopefully all will be well. These new seed potatoes are making a slightly different plant than I'm used to looking at.

The blackberry bush has made an appearance.

And look here, we have strawberries after all! I weeded this bed a bit to give them an edge. Also tore out that main comfrey plant and a few of its offshoots. The main one got moved. I suspect the roots, even after one season, run quite deep.

The VegTrug. Looks like stuff is surviving. Our nights have been right around freezing. A few have been in the upper 20s.

The artichokes that survived the winter. I'm probably going to put them into the new raised bed, largely for lack of anywhere else to put them. Produce or die! I'm not going to baby a non-native species that doesn't come across with the goodies.

The tomatoes etc had their first day in the sun today. They're back on the seedling table as I type of course. For the first day, an hour or two is plenty.

Spinach is coming up too. Two pot's worth, hopefully for many salads to come!

Not the best close-up of the tomatoes and bells but here you go.

A few tomatoes & bells along with the cucumbers and melons.

Please enjoy!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to citykittyatheart For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2015, 02:11 PM
Survivor

Thanked 17,986 Times in 7,988 Posts

Every time you do this kind of post, it makes me feel a little better about our chances as a people....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Optimist For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2015, 02:20 PM
Hunter

You're sweet to say so Optimist Hopefully my garden brings you all as much joy as it brings me!

I'm happy to say that most of the original canned stuff in my pantry has been replaced by a combination of stuff I've grown and stuff from the farmer's markets that I've canned myself. This year I hope that the only part of my meat sauce that comes from the local farmer is the meat. I also hope for many more potatoes than I got last year LOL
Old 05-03-2015, 05:29 PM
Hunter

I got me a new raised bed! Isn't she lovely?

I'm planning to put my tomatoes and bell peppers in there. I intend to build a simple trellis and run string down to tie them to. Yes, kids, I'll post a pic when that's done.

Speaking of tomatoes etc, they're all in the greenhouse getting hardened off. Mother's Day is next weekend, and that's the last frost date around here. So, in the ground they will go. They've really taken notice of the sunshine and fresh air too.

Ditto for the cucumbers and melons, which will be planted on the deck again this year. Hopefully if the evil powdery mildew rears its ugly head, it'll be easier to access for purposes of killing it.

My new plum trees, one in dirt and the other in a pot for this year at least. Hopefully the former has enough room so that it doesn't mess with my foundation. As for the latter, looks like no matter how I try to cut it I'll be digging grass next year. Sigh.

One thing I've learned in these past couple of years is to not try to do everything at once. Expand a little bit at a time in planned stages to set myself up for success. Maybe next year I'll even put in the drip system I bought a year or so ago. Running out of room in my yard for more beds, especially if I have to put the plum tree there.

Happy garlic! Holy smokers. I hope the bulbs are sized similarly!

Those extra broccoli seedlings in a pot. Hey, why waste?

More pics soon! In the meantime, happy gardening/prepping!

Last edited by citykittyatheart; 05-03-2015 at 05:31 PM.. Reason: to fix one of the pics
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to citykittyatheart For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2015, 08:26 PM
Survivor

Thanked 17,986 Times in 7,988 Posts

Womenfolk down here get enthused talking about a raised bed, I assume they've just bought furniture.... Looking good, and I figure you'll be eating pretty good in a couple months....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Optimist For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2015, 02:30 PM
Hunter

The rest of the garden got planted today. There are going to be a couple of cold nights yet so I'll have to protect the plants but I can do that. Usually around here we plant the heat loving stuff on Memorial Day, which is next weekend. Since I'll be volunteering at the animal shelter next weekend one day and working the other, stuff went in THIS weekend.

Here's a wide angle view of my raised beds. Seems I had just enough room for 20 tomato plants and 11 bell peppers. Those cross bars are for the cold frames, and I'll put the milk jugs out too. Added benefit of course is that the rabbits will stay the hell out of my seedlings. The broccoli and cauliflower are big enough that I don't have to worry but these aren't. Beans have been planted in the bed on the middle left.

One of my dwarf plums in its permanent home. When I mowed for the first time a couple of weeks ago I saw a nice spot where the grass was yellow and soil was showing. So, I jumped right on that with some cardboard. Two weeks later the soil was nice and tillable.

The tree is leafing out too. I apologized for this third transplanting, asked her to be strong, and promised that she was home. Hopefully she heard me.

The other plum tree is also leafing out though not so quickly. If anyone's curious, this one is a Superior dwarf plum from Stark Bros. The other one is a Bubblegum plum. Plums need cross pollination and this was a recommended pair.

And the garlic has just taken off! I'm looking forward to seeing what's under there in a couple of months. I'm also looking forward to expanding the bed a bit more in fall so I don't have to ration

The strawberries are blooming! I have bird netting standing by and hope to have some fresh ones this year. It's the third year so I would think I'd get some! Hopefully Mother Nature agrees with me.

The blackberry bush, not very big yet. Not too confident that I'll have any berries this year but at least the bush has established well.

Old 05-16-2015, 02:41 PM
Hunter

And now the deck. I really need to ease up on the number of seeds that I plant! There are I believe 17 cucumber plants in here. I'm sure you gardeners know how this happens. I dump more than enough old seeds on the towel to germinate. When too many of them do, I just can't stand to waste them so I plant them. Can't stand to waste good seedlings either. Vis a vis, 17 plants where are half would do.

Thankfully only 6 cantaloupe. Hopefully I'll get more than a half dozen melons. It's nice to have fresh though.

Potatoes. I don't remember which is red vs. purple. I just hate to waste good containers.

This cauliflower doesn't look very happy. There might be more going on under the soil than I can see here though. We'll see.

The broccoli looks happy. Not too sure about the rapini.

Lettuce and spinach growing well. Looking forward to yummy salads!

Speaking of salad fixings, more lettuce along with mesclun and radishes. I didn't plant this container in neat rows. I just spread the seeds on the surface and pushed them in a bit. Yield will tell if this is a better method.

Artichokes from last year. One seems to be perking up. Would be nice to actually eat some this year! There's not an obvious place to transplant them and since they're not a native species they won't overwinter in the yard anyway. I'll give that one more thought.

That's it for now! Thank you as always for following my thread. Happy gardening/prepping!
Old 05-16-2015, 05:07 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 2,892 Times in 1,182 Posts

As always, nice pictures! Envious of your artichoke, we tried cardoon last year with no success, might try it again but not this season. Know the feeling about many plants when less would do; DW is the same with not wanting to waste germinated seeds and seedlings, I have a hard time getting her to thin rather than transplant!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to inMichigan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2015, 09:19 AM
Hunter

Those artichokes will produce or die this year I don't want to waste pots on non-producing food plants! As for the cucumbers, I suspect that they'll thin out a bit by themselves. I had 2-3 to a pot and didn't want to risk losing all of them by separating when it wasn't necessary. I wish I had space to transplant some of them but the beds with the trellises are full! I'll just have to grow a pair and thin them as the weaker ones get edged out. Sigh. Next year I really need to exercise a bit more discipline and plant only 6-9 at most! And hope all of the germinated seeds, or at least most of them, actually sprout!
Old 05-31-2015, 03:43 PM
Hunter

Time for a quick update! Most things are simply growing so there's no need to show them. The weather here has been a bit iffy however; I had to cover my tomatoes again last night and made a nice discovery:

I had a good half dozen of these heads, small but nice, and when I went to check on them this morning a few were loosening up. Therefore, I harvested them. So, my first harvest of the year is in the bag! Not huge to be sure, but a nice start. I left them for one extra minute in the blanch waters because last year the three minute blanch didn't quite do it for some. While the veg didn't rot, the color was noticeably degraded and the taste was best covered by a nice, thick sauce. I also made sure that the water was at a rolling boil. Best to cover all bases, I thought.

The plum trees seem to be happy in their home. I was a bit worried about the superior plum but it's leafing out nicely now. They both seem to be handling that upper 30s weather. Obviously Mother Nature hasn't looked at the calendar. HELLO! It's June! No more of this cold nonsense please!

My home made tomato trellises. I can't stake the tomatoes because if I do then I can't cover them, and this would be bad. However, fortune favors the prepared gardener. So I put the pieces together. Yes it's plastic to wood; my thought is that the plastic might handle the vicissitudes of being buried better than the soft wood. The wood is soft enough that I was able to accomplish the job with a hand driver. So, with these screws I thee wed!
Hopefully it'll work.

My huge garlic. I dug a finger under the soil and the bulbs are small yet, so not ready to harvest.

Everything else is growing well, above ground anyway. Potatoes and cauliflower look nice, strawberries are growing well but no more flowers. Pulled comfrey from that bed again-jeez that stuff is hardy! I may be pulling that for the next ten years. Salad greens are coming along. I pawned off three of my cucumber plants on my Garden Blitz mentees. They had planted only two plants, so I gave them three more. Therefore I'm down to 14, still too many but a step in the correct direction.

More pics later. It's being quite a productive day Happy prepping!
Old 06-07-2015, 09:31 AM
Hunter

It's a dreary day here and updating my blog is more fun than working so Here We GO!

The deck isn't really showing me much, at least not as much as I'd expected. I planted this stuff six weeks ago and thought I'd have more of both:

The bay leaf tree is alive & well. Plenty for my meat sauce! I could even do a Christmas tree with a Mediterranean theme.

Artichokes, which are staying in the pots. Interesting how the two plants are growing leaves with such different habits.

Since my parsley and oregano hasn't sprouted well I invested in some at the farmer's market this past week. Hoping to put this in my meat sauce too.

Mesclun, radishes, and can barely see some lettuce off to the side. Again a bit disappointed so far. Next year planting in standard rows. I thinned the radish out a bit for obvious reasons. Also planted six weeks ago. I covered everything when the weather warranted it but I wonder if the cold still held stuff back a bit. Seems to have killed my rapini totally despite reading that it's is cold-tolerant.

Melons and cucumbers are flowering however. This is a good sign.

Potatoes in the far and near pots; nice plants, hopefully some tubers under there. The broccoli seedlings don't seem happy. I have these tiny heads that I won't bother with. I'm leaving them hoping that flowers will attract bees. The cauliflower seedling doesn't seem to like its pot much either. Oh well.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to citykittyatheart For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2015, 09:45 AM
Hunter

Garlic is growing very well. I've dug down with a finger; I can feel small bulbs but not near enough to harvest just yet.

One week of rain + one week of sun made for a jungle of weeds! Once I pulled them I found my roses. Hopefully the lavender I planted two years ago will come back. The parsley and oregano that the farmer said sometimes comes back, didn't. Hence, the pots on the deck.

Some mustard from three years ago has established itself. If I need some mustard seed I know where to find some

The Superior plum seems happy enough.

The Bubblegum plum seems happier. This girl got transplanted three times and still has outgrown the Superior.

Potatoes are flowering. Hoping for tubers obviously. Funny now that I think of it I don't remember them flowering last year. Beautiful plants last year but neither flowers nor tubers

My bean bed. Surprised so few of the beans sprouted. Debating about throwing a few more in there. I'd like more than these few plants are likely to produce.

Yummy cauliflower!

More broccoli in the fridge waiting to be frozen. I cut these yesterday and there are still side heads forming.

Must continue in next post due to amount of images