Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Didja see the Dennys Grand Slam fight.? RECTIFIER Jokes, Humor & Music 20 04-20-2016 08:03 PM
urba survivalist=oxymoron? yuppie survivalist=just a moron? azsunset Urban Survival 87 11-03-2015 12:42 PM
DIdja try the redneck Playstation..? RECTIFIER Jokes, Humor & Music 13 09-24-2015 11:19 AM
Internet Survivalist Radio Show Coming July 4th 2009 All Survivalist Can Contribute Prepared2Surviv Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 4 07-21-2015 03:44 PM
Weak Survivalist, Strong Survivalist. Which are you? JOracle Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 82 08-27-2014 07:36 PM
Didja hear about that recent burglary in Florida.? RECTIFIER Jokes, Humor & Music 2 05-22-2011 09:53 PM
Didja Miss Me? cadethepagan General Discussion 17 10-25-2009 10:20 PM
Didja see the home invasion shootout.? RECTIFIER Controversial News and Alternative Politics 12 02-16-2009 01:31 AM

Old 12-06-2007, 04:26 AM

Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

Advertise Here

When I first started living on my own. We had a bad snowstorm and the whole town of 250k+ was without power for the most part (some still had it). That's when I got prepared. Then, I was encouraged, for lack of a better word, after all this terrorist stuff started getting worse.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paulycracker For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2007, 01:59 PM

I don't remember not being interested in this kind of stuff it always seemed to be something I was interested or fixated on. I think actually thinking of my self as a "survivalist" was maybe being 13 or 14 reading Mel Tappan's articles in Guns and Ammo and then his book Survival Guns and reading things like Alas, Babylon. At the time the info seemed to be mostly about Guns but I started finding other info and reading things that just seemed connected to the subject even if it wasn't actually a "survivalist book". I always liked stories and plans to deal with shortages and barter and what not thats probably what really got me into it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cringe For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2007, 03:49 PM
Target Shooter

I've been one long before the term "survivalist" was ever coined.
When I was a kid I was always looking for ways to live out in the wilds.
I've always kept food in stock and know how to cook. It gives me a great feeling of satifaction knowing that I can take care of things without relying on others.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Leam For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2007, 01:28 AM
Quaerite primum regnum De

I'll try to keep it short.
I've had an intrest in survival as far back as I can rember, I probably don't store provisions as much as I should though.
When we started living together my wife and I decided that, the money we were paying as rent would be better spent building a new house. That way we would have something to show for our investment. Since then things have changed a little.
We sort of jumped right into it. It was early summer. Our first few months living together were in the tent we set up on the floor of the house we started building. We have done without many modern conviences for so long now that we simply don't need them. Don't get me wrong. It has been very hard for us at times, and we still have a long way to go, but it all makes for good memories. I owe alot to my wife, who always stands by me 100%. We feel that we are more content and just as comfortable as when we were renting. We are always learning new (or old) ways of doing things, and even have solved some problems using our imaginations and a little ingenuity. The house is almost finished and we grow most of our own food too now.
Anyway, I don't know if that makes me a survivalist, but I think we are all sitting at the same campfire here.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Lynx For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2007, 02:07 AM
The Bad guy

i would say rambo did it for me. i didnt idolize ball players or people like that when i was a kid, i wanted to be rambo.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to varmintstalkers For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2007, 02:28 PM

I knew if i wanted to survive in this world i would have to improve myself, pay attention in school, act mature a year ago i went on a camping trip with some friends all in this kinda stuff and after that i was hooked...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ryan509 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2007, 02:46 PM
Bushpuukko

I always enjoyed running and playing in the woods. My Grandfather taught me a whole heap of good stuff too. When I grew older, I noticed a lot of people suffered for no reason other than lack of preparation. And the funny thing is that this is really all about un-common sense. I teach my kids to be self-sufficient and think thru any problems before acting. They come up w/ some amazing solutions some time.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bushpuukko For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2007, 03:40 PM
Ready for the big "push"

Thanked 1,668 Times in 644 Posts

Just always was taught to never expect the government to be the solution. It's 99.9% of the time the real problem or contributing to making the problem worse.
The Following User Says Thank You to Glock755 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2007, 06:38 AM

For me it was when I was 5, We moved to a place where there was only about 3 homes in the wilderness. Dad came to me and gave me a pocket knife and told me that if I used my head with my knife I could get anything I wanted.
Now dad was always out working, mum was busy doing the whole housewife thing. At night I used to watch shows like bushtuckerman and world safari etc. Left to my own devices and inspired by my surroundings I learnt to survive, I built cubby houses, hunted and got freshwater crawfish, made archery equipment etc.

It was the most awesome way to grow up.

Progress meant that more houses were being built and we watched our playground slowly be turned into suburbia.

It was funny at school when on camp I'd always get picked on by the rich kids for having army surplus bags, tent, sleeping bag etc that was until a group of us got lost on a hike (Dumb teachers) and I set up camp, convinced the teacher to sit tight while I lit a fire and got dinner ready, 5 of us spent the night "Survivng" on my silly army surplus gear and rations.

When I was in my teens dad bought me my first gun and we started hunting trips annually, I was hooked and had guns right up till the government took them off us a few years ago.

I've since rearmed myself with a fred Bear compound bow and I'm a dead on shot. I've adapted to my surroundings and set my home up in a state of readyness for a SHTF situation. Hopefully I'll never need to use the skills I've learnt.

Now I have a family and my daughter who is 12 is a greeny but has her own bug out bag prepped. I'm so proud.lol

To me being a "Survivalist" was and is as natural as breathing.

Last edited by zameil; 12-31-2007 at 06:47 AM..
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to zameil For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2007, 08:39 PM
Geezer

As a child, I spent a lot of time at my grandparents' farms. Even though I lived in the city, I learned about food production and preservation from helping them around the farms. I especially remember their stories about how hard it was during the 1930's and what they did to make it through. You know, for "dumb ol' dirt farmers" they were really quite wise! Later on, the Boy Scouts was the natural place for me and I did very well at it; after all, their motto is "Be Prepared". Loved every minute of it! So I guess I've been at it all my life, just at different levels. Always looking to learn more whenever possible. Never know when you might need to use it.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SquonkHunter For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2007, 10:07 PM

Grew up hunting and scouting the great dismal swamp with my Father, he always taught me that preparedness was next to godliness, excited about sharing thoughts and info with you guys Great Board!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stumpjumper For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2008, 02:41 PM
Survival Comunications

When I realised that no matter how many Beans, Bibles, Bandages, or Bullets I stocked up that it could all be taken away from me. And that if it wasn't in my head but in my hands that it wouldn't matter what I had, I wouldn't make it a week. So I sold all my guns and learned how to make Black powder from scratch. I sold my food supplies and learned how to forage and trap. I sold my tents and sleeping bags and learned how to build a shelter. The Boss says my people are destroyed for lack of knowledge not lack of goods or gear. That's when I started on the true path and gave up being paranoid. P.S. I still have my K98K
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ki4clz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2008, 07:40 PM
!

Since I saw red dawn (8 years old), watched some youtube videos including kev's, and realized how unstable and or screwed up a lot of things are.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to drewfromden For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2008, 06:12 AM
Watchin tha world go by

Thanked 8,887 Times in 3,583 Posts

grew up huntin and playin in the woods. found a writer , bradford aniginer ,got hooked there. carried knife and matches already added his 6x10 piece of plastic and made my first survival kit.allways did like bieng out there.
The Following User Says Thank You to mongoose For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2008, 03:32 AM

History repeats itself. Empires falls, governments go bad, and disasters happen. I just want to be somewhat ready so that I can protect myself and my family.

I never considered any of this till a few distinct articles on the internet made me realize we are always teetering on the the brink of pure chaos, where good people do bad things, and law and order goes out the window.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to G21Steve For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2008, 03:38 AM

...oh and zombie attacks.:D
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to G21Steve For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2008, 04:34 PM
Prepared

I was raised by my grandparents. They had the "fine opportunity" to grown up through the depression. It was from their wisdom that I was taught to be a survivalist. It was their experience that taught me to walk in the light, to always watch the Govt and not to rely on them, not be wasteful, help your "Brother/Sister" and to fend for yourself.

My grandfather had me spend hours straightening nails for reuse as he told me stories. I don't know how many times someone came over to his garage and asked him for some "obscure" item, "Wait one minute, I think I have one of them over here some place" A minute later he would hand the item over with a hand shake and a toothless smile.

As he put it, bartering services and goods is the most important thing that people can do. He stated that it was hard to help those who didn't have anything to barter with. Money/jewelery/even gold coins really were not very useful. He still had a gold coin that someone gave him. He kept it to remember how even "treasures were just about useless". Where were you going to sell it. Like he said "What use was a coin when you need a jacket?"
It isn't like you could just walk down to the store an buy something....they were mostly closed or the item that you "needed" was hard to to find.

Since most of my friends were/are "old timers", I have learned to tap into the "worlds greatest resource"...................Wisdom of the elders. If they made it...they must have been doing something right.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to sweetpea For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2008, 10:55 AM

HI Y'all;
I was born this way. I have been interested in primitive living skills/survival skills since I was a child.
tamilee
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tamilee For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2008, 11:33 AM
veldskoen no socks

Thanked 2,600 Times in 1,432 Posts

Since I started hiking I have carried a survival kit in my pack, always looking for new things to put in it.Since then I suppose its not always what is in the survival tin but rather what you pack in your bag as a whole. My reasoning now is make your whole pack your survival kit.
The Following User Says Thank You to the hog For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2008, 03:51 PM
Hoodlum

My old Scout master got me hooked.
The Following User Says Thank You to Overgrown For This Useful Post: