ATF Does About-Face on Ammo Ban, Calls It ¯Publishing Mistake¯ - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Guardian Newspaper May Face Terrorism Charges For Publishing Snowden Leaks Sal4liberty Controversial News and Alternative Politics 5 12-04-2013 04:44 PM
EBook platform publishing tool Jaqhama Books, Movies & Stories 0 11-17-2013 06:58 PM
Self Publishing vs Publishing House? Airgun Sniper Books, Movies & Stories 34 08-21-2013 05:36 PM
Desmond Tutu calls for Bush, Blair to face Hague Timbersawz Political News and Discussion 5 09-04-2012 01:24 PM
Halffast Publishing ZenEngineer Books, Movies & Stories 0 05-26-2011 12:42 AM
publishing names of gun owners enlightened-one Firearms General Discussion 21 03-09-2011 08:36 AM
The Death of Publishing HowardRoark Books, Movies & Stories 1 03-28-2010 09:32 AM
Need help with desktop publishing crankyfarmer The Tech Zone 3 03-14-2008 11:58 AM

Old 03-09-2015, 01:50 PM

Default ATF Does About-Face on Ammo Ban, Calls It ‘Publishing Mistake’

Advertise Here

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015...shing-mistake/
Quote:
In February, the ATF published a new framework for deciding what ammunition is “primarily intended for sporting purposes” and thus can be exempted from a federal ban on armor piercing ammo. That guide didn’t including a current listing of exceptions, including the popular M855 cartridge that’s used in the AR-15 rifle.

According to the ATF, that omission led to media reports indicating that the government might soon reconsider whether the M855 should be banned. But the ATF said that omission was an error.

The ATF noted its error in a tweet late Friday night, which was first flagged by Townhall.com.

“Media reports have noted that the 2014 ATF regulation guide published online does not contain a listing of the exemptions for armor piercing ammunition, and conclude that the absence of this listing indicates these exemptions have been rescinded,” ATF said in a release linked to that tweet. “This is not the case.”

“Please be advised that ATF has not rescinded any armor piercing ammunition exemption, and the fact that they are not listed in the 2014 online edition of the regulations was an error which has no legal impact on the validity of the exemptions,” the ATF added. “The existing exemptions for armor piercing ammunition, which apply to 5.56 mm SS 109 and M855 projectiles… and the U.S. .30-06 M2AP projectile… remain in effect.”

The ATF added that the guide would soon be corrected to include current listings of armor piercing ammo that are exempted. “ATF apologizes for any confusion caused by this publishing error,” it said.
Does anyone have any more reliable sources for this?
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to marketermac For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2015, 01:55 PM
M.R. Not

Thanked 7,648 Times in 3,020 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marketermac View Post
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015...shing-mistake/

Does anyone have any more reliable sources for this?

Perhaps from the ATF's website?

Dang now what am I going to do with the 10,000 rounds of M855 that I bought at $1.00 / round?

Rancher
Old 03-09-2015, 01:57 PM

Guess I should of sold mine while the getting was good, eh?
The Following User Says Thank You to marketermac For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2015, 02:07 PM
Sic semper tyrannis.

Thanked 19,584 Times in 5,795 Posts

It's too late, let's get this bill passed.

H.R. 1329 The ATF Elimination Act
To abolish the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives, transfer its functions relating to the Federal firearms, explosives, and arson laws, violent crime, and domestic terrorism to the Federal Bureau of Investigation, and transfer its functions relating to the Federal alcohol and tobacco smuggling laws to the Drug Enforcement Administration, and for other purposes.

https://www.popvox.com/bills/us/114/hr1329

http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...imination-act/
Old 03-09-2015, 02:08 PM
I choose freewill....

Thanked 4,265 Times in 1,378 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrancher View Post

Dang now what am I going to do with the 10,000 rounds of M855 that I bought at $1.00 / round?

Rancher
FIRE MISSION!!!!

Of course, I hope you're kidding about $1 rd.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FreedomofSpeech For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2015, 02:12 PM
Suburban Legend

Thanked 102,708 Times in 15,293 Posts

That's all good and fine, but it has nothing to do with the President's intention to ban via Executive fiat.
Old 03-09-2015, 02:15 PM
Trump is Treasonous

Thanked 18,856 Times in 5,003 Posts

Uh oh, maybe the heat got turned a little to much on the ATF and someone was feeling the burn...lol

I don't use this ammo, don't own an A/R but for those that do its time to take a look at the retailers who price gouged on this ammo and decide if its worth doing business with them in the future...

I imagine that these will probably become normally priced and plentiful soon.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kalashnikov47 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2015, 02:19 PM
I choose freewill....

Thanked 4,265 Times in 1,378 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalashnikov47 View Post
Uh oh, maybe the heat got turned a little to much on the ATF and someone was feeling the burn...lol

I don't use this ammo, don't own an A/R but for those that do its time to take a look at the retailers who price gouged on this ammo and decide if its worth doing business with them in the future...

Sadly, too many fools with guns. Look at what CTD did and they're still in business and some people still swear by them. I don't go near them with a 100 mile long pole.

All the on-line shops that cranked the price up will still continue with business because where else are we going to get this stuff?

Places like Luckygunn3r will continue even though they jacked the price up to over $700 for a case that I bet was just 350'ish the week before.

Queue the 'it's the market, supply and demand' comments in 4, 3, 2,.......1.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to FreedomofSpeech For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2015, 02:20 PM
Survivor

Thanked 17,978 Times in 7,987 Posts

Any store of ammunition in private hands is a good thing. If it got there via hysteria, so be it. If it got there via canny bargaining and selection, so be it. Private stocks of ammo equals power to the people.
Old 03-09-2015, 02:24 PM
Survivor

Thanked 23,600 Times in 9,196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalashnikov47 View Post

That's what I was thinking, the repercussions were greater than they thought they might be, so they are back-peddling and trying to do some damage control.

I don't have any of the stuff either, but might buy some if the price comes back down. That is, if it is reloadable, it is reloadable isn't it?
Old 03-09-2015, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCalHippie View Post
That's what I was thinking, the repercussions were greater than they thought they might be, so they are back-peddling and trying to do some damage control.

I don't have any of the stuff either, but might buy some if the price comes back down. That is, if it is reloadable, it is reloadable isn't it?
It's re-loadable - that's why I bought it. It was the cheapest brass cased ammo I could find when I got it (2 years ago? maybe 3). I then bought some steel targets and almost exclusively shoot at those now so this ammo just stayed in it's boxes since I don't want to hurt the targets. Looks like it'll be staying in it's boxes.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marketermac For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2015, 02:32 PM
Trump is Treasonous

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomofSpeech View Post
Sadly, too many fools with guns. Look at what CTD did and they're still in business and some people still swear by them. I don't go near them with a 100 mile long pole.

All the on-line shops that cranked the price up will still continue with business because where else are we going to get this stuff?

Places like Luckygunn3r will continue even though they jacked the price up to over $700 for a case that I bet was just 350'ish the week before.

Queue the 'it's the market, supply and demand' comments in 4, 3, 2,.......1.
As an online retailer myself who has been in business for more than 15 years I know the difference between supply and demand and price gouging, recently one of the very few competitors we have announced they were going out of business and aren't restocking their inventory, I could be greedy and jack the prices way up but pigs get slaughtered and I'm not really into cutting my own throat, we've kept our prices the same and will only raise them when we get increases from the manufacturer.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Kalashnikov47 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2015, 02:35 PM
Survivor

Thanked 17,978 Times in 7,987 Posts

Bull makes money sometime.
Bear makes money sometime.
Hog always gets skinned sooner or later....
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Optimist For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2015, 02:37 PM
Survivor

Thanked 23,600 Times in 9,196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marketermac View Post
It's re-loadable - that's why I bought it. It was the cheapest brass cased ammo I could find when I got it (2 years ago? maybe 3). I then bought some steel targets and almost exclusively shoot at those now so this ammo just stayed in it's boxes since I don't want to hurt the targets. Looks like it'll be staying in it's boxes.
I'm assuming the primer pockets are crimped, which isn't a big issue, just hurts my hand, .
The Following User Says Thank You to NCalHippie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2015, 02:39 PM
Survivor

Thanked 20,055 Times in 6,152 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape View Post
It's too late, let's get this bill passed.

H.R. 1329 The ATF Elimination Act
To abolish the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives, transfer its functions relating to the Federal firearms, explosives, and arson laws, violent crime, and domestic terrorism to the Federal Bureau of Investigation, and transfer its functions relating to the Federal alcohol and tobacco smuggling laws to the Drug Enforcement Administration, and for other purposes.

https://www.popvox.com/bills/us/114/hr1329

http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...imination-act/
I like the idea of doing away with the AtF, but the Fbi is no better.

All the abc agencies need disbanded
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sal4liberty For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2015, 02:40 PM

Quote:

Rancher
Paragraph 2 says they have not banned SS109 and M855.
Paragraph 1 says they intend to ban SS109 and M855. Public comment ends March 16, 2015.
See
http://www.atf.gov/sites/default/fil...g_purposes.pdf
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to dram1 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2015, 03:12 PM
Trump is Treasonous

Quote:

Rancher
The ATF's letter is saying no determination has been made on whether to ban it or not, so, everyone needs to keep the pressure on them, March 15th is approaching at which point comments from the public will be closed, then I assume they'll make the determination on whether to keep it on the exemption list or ban it...Its not over yet...It appears the letter is simply saying there was an error because it wasn't listed under the exemption list to begin with and it should have been.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kalashnikov47 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2015, 03:21 PM
Weed 'em and reap

Thanked 121,570 Times in 24,089 Posts

Apart from dram1, nobody read the article. Only the misconception that the ammo was banned last year is being repudiated. They still intend to ban it. Nothing has changed.
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Harmless Drudge For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2015, 03:33 PM
Some guy on the internet

Thanked 5,689 Times in 2,124 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmless Drudge View Post
Apart from dram1, nobody read the article. Only the misconception that the ammo was banned last year is being repudiated. They still intend to ban it. Nothing has changed.
^This, keep up the fight, we have not won yet.

that said, everyone needs to get behind "Rep. Jim Sensenbrenner (R-WI)"
and send him letters, money, your first born sons to show your support for what could be one of the biggest things for gun owners since the creation of the NRA in 1871.....
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to loki81 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2015, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dram1 View Post
Paragraph 2 says they have not banned SS109 and M855.
Paragraph 1 says they intend to ban SS109 and M855. Public comment ends March 16, 2015.
See
http://www.atf.gov/sites/default/fil...g_purposes.pdf
Yup. Here's how it works. They've decided they are going to ban it. So they have a "public comment" period where people can waste their time thinking their comments actually matter. In haste, the ATF printed it's guide with the full knowledge they are going to ban it. So they didn't include it. They got caught and now they are backtracking with a carefully worded statement that says it's not banned. Correct, as of right now it's not banned. After March 16th it'll be a different story.

The sad thing is, and you can see it on this thread, the people are so easy to appease. Just look at the posts of people who read the little statement and concluded that a ban wasn't going to happen. It happens everyday on the news. People are lied to, straight to their face, every single day but 90% of them don't even know it. Worse yet, they make voting decisions based on incomplete, or completely misleading facts.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Diablo For This Useful Post: