Getting into DIY auto repair as a complete beginner - Page 4 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Free Auto Repair Advise or Answers Reed DIY - Do It Yourself 596 10-10-2019 12:39 AM
Basic Auto Maintenance and Repair Tools Mr. Yetimode DIY - Do It Yourself 22 06-01-2016 12:33 AM
Complete AR15 Rifle - $396.94 (Complete LW-15 Poly Lower + PTAC complete upper) apps47inc For Sale 0 05-13-2015 04:09 PM
Complete AR15 Rifle - $359 (Complete LW-15 Poly Lower + PTAC complete upper) apps47inc For Sale 0 11-26-2014 02:32 PM
Replace Semi-Auto Bolt Carrier for Full-Auto Shifty1 Military Weapons Forum 14 11-19-2014 07:11 PM
Complete AR15 Rifle - $399 (New Frontier Complete Lower and PTAC Complete Upper) apps47inc For Sale 0 09-12-2014 12:36 AM
Complete AR15 Rifle - $399 shipped (NF Complete Lower and PTAC Upper) apps47inc For Sale 1 05-20-2014 06:55 PM
At this point, why would you ever buy a complete beginner Ar-15? Runamok Firearms General Discussion 27 02-16-2014 07:24 PM
Alice Pack Kidney Pad Repair, Field Repair CJL Enterprize Sam Dawson silversam1 DIY - Do It Yourself 0 05-03-2012 11:48 AM
Turn your semi Auto AR-15 into a Fully Auto, and Legal paramilusmc Rifle Forum 14 05-26-2011 08:50 AM

Old 05-13-2016, 04:11 AM

Advertise Here

As a diesel student, the best advice I can give you is to either take some classes, or buy the book that the classes teach. Study the book and do all the questions, and apply your knowledge on a beater car or at Pick N Pull. You might be able to find a syllabus somewhere that will show you the kind of stuff you would go over in class.

Great idea though. You can save yourself a lot of money and get yourself un-stranded. I had to bypass a starter solenoid with a carabiner the other day, and thanks to my electrical class I immediately knew there was a short or failure between the ignition switch and the starter solenoid when it failed to crank.

Get harbor freight lifetime guaranteed professional grade tools, or craftsman, home depot made in usa stuff, or napa, don't go for anything no name - metallurgy counts, and tools do break. Don't buy a low quality ratchet, it's annoying. Get a torque wrench and learn how to use it, practice not on your car. Some don't click at different values, they just "give" a little. If you don't know that, you could damage something very expensive. Buy the manual for your vehicles and torque every bolt according to the specs. Without a torque wrench, you either over or undertighten, leading to failures or bolts rattling loose.

Never force a threaded fastener. If it offers resistance, remove and inspect with jewellers loop. Is it cutting into the threads, or in need of a steel brushing? Rotate the bolt to the left until it snaps in place and looks straight up and down before you rotate to fasten. This way, you are sure it is correctly seated in the threads.

Don't ever use vice grips on a bolt head, or the wrong size wrench - to damage fasteners is a mechanics crime. Wear saftey glasses, tools break, eyes get scraped, crap falls in your eyes when under the vehicle. Wear gloves - oil, fuel, and fluids are carcinogenic. A 6 point holds better than a 12 point wrench/socket, and a socket holds better than the open end of a wrench. Get a harbor freight digital caliper to measure your fasteners so you know you are using the right fastener or tool for the job. Keep a multimeter in the car. Keep your tools dry and oiled - never moist and dirty. Polished tools clean up easier than textured, and ranger bands or spray grip help you hold on to them. Don't drop your tools, micro fractures develop and they can break over a lifetime. Wear coveralls so you don't get all dirty, and use blankets if you're leaning on body panels, and seat covers are handy too.

If something is very difficult to do, step back, reevalute, most likely you're either doing it wrong or you have the wrong tools for the job. If you're frustrated, do not continue, take a breather and think about it. See "Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance".

Join a mechanics forum and soak up the knowledge.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to WageSlaveEscapist For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2016, 11:04 PM
Lock n' Load

Book wise:
I'm going to agree with everyone's statements about getting Haynes & Chilton manuals, having both is definitely a great start.
Also, I'd go on Amazon or eBay and buy a book called Auto Fundamentals published by GW Publishers. It's full of excellent information for beginners.

For tools, I'd recommend going to auctions in rural areas, many farmers retire and auction off lots of tools, you can get everything from Harbor freight to Snap-On, for usually a very reasonable price.

I'd also get a few specialty tools:
Harbor Freight sells a vise grip style oil filter pliers, they're very cheap and work extremely well.
Harbor freight also sells wobble extensions for ratchets, so long as you don't use a big 3/8" ratchet on the 1/4" extensions, they will all last for basic repairs.

For socket sets, I'd suggest Craftsman or Sunex brand, both are good quality and very durable.

NEVER get cheap "impact" adapters. They always fail when you need them, spend the extra money for good ones.

If you start to do your own tire rotations, get a healthy sized breaker bar (24"+) and a socket to match your lug nuts, if ones stuck and you don't have an impact wrench around, they can save you plenty of hassle.

I've been a diesel mechanic for the past 3 years and have much to learn, but hopefully this helps get you on track.
The Following User Says Thank You to RemingtonandCummins For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2019, 01:03 AM

The absolute best education you can get is on the job. If you can squeeze it in, get a part time job at a shop after work/weekend. All it takes is 6 months to a year and you will know a ton more than you used to. What you learn is dependent on how fast you learn and how thirsty you are for knowledge. Look at it like a ****ty college class that pays you to show up.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TwistedWrench For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2019, 06:37 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,345 Times in 2,752 Posts

Learn how to use a multimeter because modern cars have just about everything linked through electronically.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Exarmyguy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2019, 07:16 PM
Golfer

Thanked 2,369 Times in 1,344 Posts

Fastest cheapest bet is to become an expert at fixing Check Engine lights. Don't need much equipment, plenty of business because CEL happens to everyone eventually. Car repair shops will charge $200 to replace a (marked-up) $50 coil pack, a 30 minute job.
Maybe you could take a course in car computers at the CC but most of your answers are on youtube. Replace coilpack, O2 sensor, fuel canister, gas tank cap, egr, MAF, check connections... once you do 10 of them you'll be on your way.
The Following User Says Thank You to puttster For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2019, 08:48 PM
SBs Resident Non Prepper

Thanked 8,532 Times in 3,300 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttster View Post
Fastest cheapest bet is to become an expert at fixing Check Engine lights. Don't need much equipment, plenty of business because CEL happens to everyone eventually. Car repair shops will charge $200 to replace a (marked-up) $50 coil pack, a 30 minute job.
Maybe you could take a course in car computers at the CC but most of your answers are on youtube. Replace coilpack, O2 sensor, fuel canister, gas tank cap, egr, MAF, check connections... once you do 10 of them you'll be on your way.
200 isn't bad for a shop price for a shop.
Diagnostic time.....parts....Labor.
Parts mark up is not unreasonable
You can't expect them to sell the part without a markup do you?
YouTube is full of hack mechanics....or should i say wannabe mechanics
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Goodwrench708 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2019, 09:09 PM

Your local library probably has a book that isn't so much a auto repair book, but a book that explains in general terms the systems that make up an auto. Hard to troubleshoot a system if you don't understand how it's supposed to operate. The book will explain the theory of operation of engines, transmissions, brakes, etc.
Old 10-13-2019, 07:28 PM

Like everyone has mentioned buy a Chilton or Haynes manual for your vechiles. But if you don't want to spend money then YouTube or Google there's videos and articles that'll teach you pretty much how to do everything for free. I'd highly recommend watching a few videos on how a car works to learn the basics. Also when it comes to tools you get what you pay for.
Old 10-14-2019, 01:16 AM
Golfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwrench708 View Post
Quote:
Fastest cheapest bet is to become an expert at fixing Check Engine lights. Don't need much equipment, plenty of business because CEL happens to everyone eventually. Car repair shops will charge $200 to replace a (marked-up) $50 coil pack, a 30 minute job. .
200 isn't bad for a shop price for a shop.
Exactly! That's what I'm talking about!
Old 10-14-2019, 09:59 AM
Survivor

Thanked 21,702 Times in 5,671 Posts

I wonder if cars have advanced much in the 5 years since the OP asked the question.

Look for an older car with a Factory Service Manual (FSM) posted somewhere online in .pdf format.

I work on my own cars, but wouldn't bother with other people's cars. Who needs the hassles of dealing with people for small dollar fixes. If their POS keeps throwing codes after you replace something, you'll waste your life fixing someone else's car for a terrible Yelp review.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:25 AM
Golfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by InOmaha View Post
I wonder if cars have advanced much in the 5 years since the OP asked the question.
Ha ha. He is probably a millionaire by now
Old 10-14-2019, 04:13 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,104 Times in 1,351 Posts

Quote:
Ha ha. He is probably a millionaire by now

My guess is he employs the “parts cannon” method of auto repair.
If you replace enough parts eventually you’ll get to the right one
The Following User Says Thank You to Corpus For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2019, 07:23 PM
SBs Resident Non Prepper

Thanked 8,532 Times in 3,300 Posts

The OP was asking about how he could learn enough to take care of his own vehicle maintenance and repairs
Good stuff to know.
Don’t be so stuck on thinking Google and YouTube will help you all the time
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goodwrench708 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2019, 07:44 PM
prepared for life & death

Thanked 4,448 Times in 1,627 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpus View Post
Both barrels. Unfortunately customers aren't partial to that although warranty is a little more forgiving. I give them the "you built the pos what part do you want me to try next" line.
Old 10-15-2019, 11:14 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpus View Post
I have had my vehicles brought to reputable repair shops and had them throw parts at it(at my cost) until they fixed the problem so it isn't just shade tree mechanics that do that.
Old 10-15-2019, 11:32 PM
Hiker

I guess since this thread is five yeas old, my opinion is worthless. If someone is just now deciding to learn about automobiles, it isnt worth it. I have worked on them since before I could drive. Not quite six volt days, but that was my first vehicle. Unfortunately now a days you need to have computer experience. Or at least a scanner to diagnose wrong might be wrong. That doesnt mean a particular sensor is the problem. It could be anything that can cause an out of range reading to the part diagnosed. So good luck. You are about 20 years late deciding to be educated on auto repair.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:28 AM
Survivor

Thanked 13,216 Times in 4,810 Posts

Oil changes are hard to make $$ on, they are a loss-leader in the industry and used as a hook to get people in for other more expen$ive services.

Look at the lube places, they have their generic filters, oil in big drums. On GM cars, some take a special oil that is steep by the quart. My oil changes at an indy shop run about $65 with the special oil, plus they check all fluids, top them off and check/set the tire pressures. AND they have lifts that make things faster and easier.

Brakes are straightforward with the right training, if you run into an ABS problem you need diagnostic equipment.

My advice, best bang for the buck, get into auto detailing. Hand wash, wax, interior cleaning. You can sell accessories like mats, air fresheners, etc.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:31 AM
Survivor

Thanked 13,216 Times in 4,810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasers View Post
I have had my vehicles brought to reputable repair shops and had them throw parts at it(at my cost) until they fixed the problem so it isn't just shade tree mechanics that do that.
I am fortunate to have a neighbor that owns his own shop. 40 years in the business and he has a legion of loyal customers. Unless he runs into a tough problem, it gets fixed once and done.

I was a professional mechanic for 10 years and grew to hate it. I have considerable training and even a college degree behind me. It is tough to find the right shop where you will be treated well.