Storing In Mylar Index Thread - Page 11 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dehydrating - Index Thread Mels thinkingitover Food and water 21 11-04-2019 11:37 AM
Storing oats in mylar bags kev Food and water 63 01-15-2018 11:56 AM
Storing food in mylar bags rachelanne820 Food and water 6 12-11-2016 07:56 PM
Storing spices in mylar meemo Food and water 33 12-23-2015 10:19 PM
Storing in mylar (vaccuum vs o2 absorbers) awmorris Food and water 5 07-09-2015 01:25 AM
Storing more than 1 thing in the same mylar bag. Norby DIY - Do It Yourself 3 07-20-2014 06:55 PM
Wash buckets before storing mylar?? kathy_in_ca Food and water 16 04-11-2014 02:18 PM
Colored mylar for storing different items... digdug18 Food and water 10 09-15-2012 12:40 PM
Storing wild berries in mylar bags kev Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 8 03-10-2010 10:49 AM
Storing food with mylar bag question JoeKan Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 11 10-23-2009 02:15 PM

Old 09-16-2016, 04:53 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 55,650 Times in 19,339 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartHunts View Post
This thread is awesome!!

I wrote a vacuum sealer buyer's guide, and there is a ton of great information here.

Would anyone care to read it?
Write a separate thread, let others critique it while you edit it on the fly, then ask a mod to insert the link into the OP of this thread.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2016, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamZeke View Post
Write a separate thread, let others critique it while you edit it on the fly, then ask a mod to insert the link into the OP of this thread.
Thanks for the tip. I guess I should just copy the page? It's on a blog that I wrote a month or so ago.
Old 10-17-2016, 10:18 PM

Please excuse my stupidity; what is a 'sticky'? 'Bump'? (refresh?)

There is a lot of good information here and I have a lot of catching up to do. Looks like all my mylar questions have been answered!

Thanks to all who got this info together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2016, 10:25 PM
Peas and Carrots!

Thanked 132,090 Times in 31,035 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacamo View Post
Please excuse my stupidity; what is a 'sticky'? 'Bump'? (refresh?)

There is a lot of good information here and I have a lot of catching up to do. Looks like all my mylar questions have been answered!

Thanks to all who got this info together.
If you look at the index page (where all the threads are listed) at the top of the section, there is a set aside place where there are a few theads deemed important for one reason or another. Those are placed there by using a moderating option that will "stick" the thread in that top section. Thus, the sticked/stuck/stickied/stuckied thread is now easily findable for the membership. So that thread is a "sticky."

When you see "bump" in a post, the sole purpose of that post was to bring he thread back up to the top of the list of new posts for visibility usually for new members, or in the case of a "stuck" thread that stays at the top, it will show up in the Unread Post list and the Todays Posts list. It is a way of highlighting a thread that may not be getting active posts but has been deemed useful to the membership, like this one.
Old 12-16-2016, 08:58 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 22,945 Times in 7,101 Posts

Sorbent Systems oxygen absorbers contain Iron Powder (Fe), Active Carbon (C), Salt & Vermiculite.

Source > https://www.sorbentsystems.com/pdf/o...sorbermsds.pdf

Oxygen Absorbers are rated by the number of cc’s (Cubic Centimeters) of Oxygen that they will absorb.

Anyone have a credible reference of the ratio of iron powder to salt per 100cc O2A’s contain?

I google searched & cannot find an authoritative answer.

The reason I ask is amongst my pyrotechnic supplies I have about 80 lbs of very fine iron powder.

I also have a considerable amount of salt, activated carbon, vermiculite & assorted thin durable vapor permeable fabric materials.

My thought is since new O2A’s have a relatively short shelf life; there may come a time where the need for them may arise; factory manufactured O2A’s could be near impossible to find/acquire/buy.

Why not pre-package a certain amount of each individual O2A ingredient in separate heat sealed Mylar bags, so they cannot activate. Then, securely store the O2A ingredients away, along with individual packaging material.

So that if the need arises?
One could readily make high quality individual fresh 500, 1000 & 2000cc O2A’s on demand.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:47 AM

Default What NOT to bother storing in Mylar

Note: When I say "seal" I'm speaking strictly of using mylar bags, with O2 absorber. My plan so far is to stock ahead 30 days on basics and 6 mos on some staples (rice, beans, flour, coffee, herbs, etc.)

As I progress in my preparedness planning, and adding more ingredients, I come up against the question of what NOT to bother storing in Mylar.

For example, I think it's obvious not to seal a bottle of vodka! But taking that obvious example and dialing it down, we eventually come to vanilla...and things like that.

And what about fine powders? Like baking soda and powder? I've heard that fine particles have so much surface area that you really don't gain a ton of time by mylar / o2 because each tiny particle is being assaulted by whatever air there is. (The same reasoning people mylar coffee beans instead of ground)

So my basic question is: Is there a definitive list of what "NOT" to mylar or vac seal?

Thanks so much all!
The Following User Says Thank You to hotwired99 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2017, 02:30 PM

I am new to this site. Is there a way to save this thread so I can reference it later?
The Following User Says Thank You to Alaska_Grown For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2017, 05:35 PM

Thanks for the info