The Water Thread - Links to Major Water Information - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Water Purification Information 411man Food and water 54 10-25-2019 02:48 AM
Desalinate ocean water for garden, bath and drinking water during water shortages usmountains DIY - Do It Yourself 20 07-18-2016 04:17 AM
Our sources: A thread for reliable News and Information links Tanith General Discussion 4 10-08-2014 08:45 AM
Water well information in Texas Grumpus Monkus Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 5 07-29-2012 11:22 PM
Water Turn-over Information, Please! beesknees Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 9 02-22-2012 04:20 PM
Major benefit of a Foldable Water Bucket vicdotcom Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 16 12-02-2010 09:51 PM
stream/spring water information, please Wiotian Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 2 02-20-2009 04:11 AM
Drinking salt water. Post your links. Rancho5 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 12 01-16-2009 12:32 AM
Water Purification Straw Information 411man Urban Survival 0 07-23-2007 09:37 PM

Old 11-21-2014, 01:17 AM

Advertise Here

Chloride and then filter it back out with coconut charcoal is a very cost effective and efficient method. Far more so than most filters in the market. As well you can boil and filter and end up with same thing for less than pennies a gallon.
Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2015, 02:09 PM

Thanks for the information.

Curt
Old 06-15-2015, 07:08 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,871 Times in 2,147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKR View Post
I was doing some research for one of my new books the other day and found this:

The Department of Soil, Water, and Environmental Science, University of Arizona (Tucson, Az), tested iodine treatment for efficacy in water contaminated with Cryptosporidium oocysts. They found that just 10% were inactivated after a 20-minute exposure to iodine according to manufacturer's instructions; even after 240 minutes of exposure to iodine only 66-81% oocysts were inactivated. These data strongly suggest that iodine disinfection is not effective in inactivating Cryptosporidium oocysts in water. Because this organism is common in all surface waters, it is recommended that another method of treatment be used before ingestion.

I use chlorine dioxide tabs and filter. Then again, I often wear a belt with my suspenders...

Thought the folks here would use this to perform some of their own research in the use of Iodine.

That said, I see that Polar Pure is back on the market..

chemical disinfection of crypto is not very effective, it can survive straight bleach because it is a spore with a protective shell. boiling is effective and also filtration. 30 years ago it was not even recognized as a problem though water plants now have filtration. not usually a problem unless you have a compromised immune system.
The Following User Says Thank You to dmas For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2015, 02:32 PM
Survivor

Thanked 43,170 Times in 9,571 Posts

I was researching spring development... and found this link to be a good starting point for utilizing ground water.

https://www.lifewater.org/resources/rws1/rws1m.htm

As well, people need to know their land - and keep an eye out for places that always wet, or wet most of the year, because there may already be water there that you simply don't see at first.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:37 AM

Cool, thanks for sharing
Old 08-04-2015, 11:58 PM

Just like the bulk food like list thread, this thread alone makes me wish I had registered sooner.

thank you.
The Following User Says Thank You to shadowcatsam For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2015, 04:57 PM
Hovercraft Pilot, Retired

Thanked 2,009 Times in 966 Posts

Nice work Mels thinkingitover!

I own and operate a small independent water treatment company in N.E. Georgia,
and I would be happy to answer questions concerning water quality improvement.

http://h2oman.us/
Old 10-06-2015, 08:36 PM
Freedom isn't free.

Location: Region 4 - beseiged by communists/ corporate fascists/ criminals...
Thanked 11,860 Times in 3,815 Posts

Low tech Biosand Water Filter manual: https://www.calvin.edu/academic/engi...al_English.pdf

Download a copy for safe keeping and study.

This crude filter tech has been used with excellent results in third world countries. IMO, it's a very sustainable method for filtering and purifying surface water. It's not perfect but it's leaps and bounds ahead of other forms of low tech sand filtration because as you'll find in the reading, it makes use of bioactivity and also oxygen deprivation to kill and destroy living organisms in the water. It also takes advantage of U.V. sterilization (solar disenfection- U.V.). one of the keys to this filters ability is that as you use the filter, the upper layer of filtering media becomes plugged with sediment and biologicals and that increases the ability of the filter to filter out smaller and smaller solids.

A second stage of carbon filtration would be needed for chemical removal and metals but that's very doable when the grid is gone.
Old 10-16-2015, 11:45 PM
Paratrooper X

Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,622 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
I was wondering how to remove radiation from water.
Obviously distillation is not going to work because the water hitting the Fukushima is turning to steam and entering the atmosphere and carried in the clouds with radiation here.
So something that radiation will bond with, diluting its self from the water, would be necessary.
I just don't know what it is .
I know that radiation settles in the bone , so my thoughts were to use bone meal and an attractant /absorbent for the radiation in a filtering unit. any thoughts ?
Radiation doesn't enter the atmosphere by way of steam. it does so piggybacking contaminated particles released into the air. Distillation is the only way you can separate radioactive particles from water molecules.

In the case of fukazima, contaminated particles escaped with steam but were more like traveling companions. Water can only be contaminated as water or when its cool. when it turns to steam, the molecule breaks to its basic hydrogen and oxygen. At this point it will dump any contaminates as hydrogen will rise and the oxygen will fall. Wind is what causes the radioactive contaminates to rise with the hydrogen. At some point the hydrogen joins with new oxygen molecules at higher cooler altitudes and will most likely become contaminated again.

Its totally different with a distiller. Water molecules separate and drop the contaminates back into the water. As the hydrogen re-bonds with oxygen in the condensation tube it is radiation free.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rc508abn For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2015, 05:57 PM

Agreed! Keep up with the awesome info!
Old 11-02-2015, 06:19 PM

HI! Is anyone knows were to get =puremadi tablets=, for filtering water?
Old 12-04-2015, 06:56 PM
VIP Member

How effective is regular homemade charcoal compared to activated charcoal?
Old 12-22-2015, 09:37 AM

Can a person safely store cases of bottled water in an underground bunker for years on end? Will it evaporate, or contaminants enter through the thin plastic lining?
Old 12-22-2015, 09:43 AM
Peas and Carrots!

Thanked 132,089 Times in 31,035 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedesdude1963 View Post
Can a person safely store cases of bottled water in an underground bunker for years on end? Will it evaporate, or contaminants enter through the thin plastic lining?
The thin plastic lining will breakdown and you'll have a mucky mess in the bunker and no water supply.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:08 PM

Thanks Mel.
The Following User Says Thank You to mercedesdude1963 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2016, 10:34 AM
The end is,,,,,

Thanked 13,185 Times in 5,522 Posts

Did we not have a post here showing a DIY bucket filter? You know, sand, gravel, charcoal?
Old 02-24-2016, 10:46 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,945 Times in 2,348 Posts

Thanks Mel! Saves a lot of time looking through all the threads!
I've shared information with a dentist that I know who has family living in the PI who rely on questionable spring water.

Though I also look elsewhere now..... but did find this to add to the water table;

Shungite;
"Shungite has been used in medical treatment since the early 18th-century. Peter the Great set up Russia's first spa in Karelia to make use of the water purifying properties of shungite, which he had himself experienced. He also instigated its use in providing purified water for the Russian army. The anti-bacterial properties of shungite have been confirmed by modern testing."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shungite
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MCVet For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2016, 02:35 AM

Thanks for sharing all the information.Great post
Old 08-04-2016, 08:15 PM
Prepared

Exclamation Owens/corning roof water runoff response

I contacted OC and asked if it was safe to gather water runoff from a roof for livestock/human consumption. I'm not sure what type of a filter setup may help remove airborne contaminates. Below is the reply:

Owens Corning does NOT recommend utilizing run-off water from our asphalt shingles for potable water or consumption purposes.

The contaminants contributed by birds and various airborne particles may not be healthy for human consumption. Attached is a recent study conducted by The Department of Ecology-State of Washington, it examines toxins in roof run-off from different roof covering types including asphalt shingles.

While additional research on this topic is sparse, this study supports Owens Corning’s belief that OC asphalt shingles do not contribute enough contaminants to cistern water to be a cause for concern.

The link to “The Department of Ecology – State of Washington” is provided below: http://www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/eap/toxics/roofing.html

If any other questions, please feel free to call 1800-GET-PINK or email [email protected].

Best Regards,

Susan Crawford

GET PINK Roofing

1-800-GET PINK
The Following User Says Thank You to spockmckoy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2016, 12:57 AM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,091 Times in 370 Posts

I'm new here and have no idea if this is a good place for this post, but here goes.

Just a link I have used before called find a spring dot com

When the page comes up, click in the banner where it says "locate a spring"
go from there to choose what part of the world, then more local, and you'll see map pins on the map you can mouse over for more details. Clicking on them gives you reports from folks who have been to the spring, exactly where it is, whether it is free/public, and all sorts of info.

It is based on voluntary posts, so no guarantees. The comments usually reveal if multiple people have positive things to say or not.

Might be helpful to some.
http://www.findaspring.com/about/