How long until everyone finally dies from starvation, if...? - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rabbit Starvation realmcgyver Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 50 03-19-2018 02:59 PM
Willingly dying of starvation wendigo salt Food and water 6 05-07-2015 02:04 PM
Long time follower, finally got registered directive17 New Member Introduction 15 02-18-2015 09:16 PM
long time lurker, finally joined up alanthecat British Isles and ROI 14 09-03-2014 04:51 PM
`Worker dies at Long Island Wal-Mart after being trampled in Black Friday stampede` Athanasius General Discussion 46 12-03-2013 03:16 PM
What if your family dies or you die and family lives. Long read. cntryislandboy Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 9 07-10-2013 09:29 PM
World Starvation Ranger 6 Political News and Discussion 20 01-23-2012 04:57 AM
Local NC police officer dies after week long battle rncmomx2 General Discussion 5 10-12-2009 11:09 PM
The starvation diet jammie General Discussion 19 09-02-2009 09:01 PM
How long for the masses to die of starvation? Sprig Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 102 06-25-2009 02:59 PM

Old 02-11-2014, 11:27 PM
Freedom isn't free.

Location: Region 4 - beseiged by communists/ corporate fascists/ criminals...
Thanked 11,871 Times in 3,816 Posts

Advertise Here

I would guess that FEMA will quickly make promises that they can't possibly keep or people will quickly hear rumors of government assistance if they travel to govt. relief camps.
Most urban people will probably commit to the "easy cheese" by becoming a govt. sustained refugee and hopefully that means that they'll become someone else's problem by going somewhere else.

I fortunately have the experience and the ability and the tools to harvest seafood and game and wild edibles and I also live in one of the richest and most diverse natural ecosystems in the U.S. As a result it makes no sense to leave just because the fast and easy food ran out. I'll probably be surrounded by other self sufficient people if the grid ever goes down long term because the dependent people will leave or die quickly.

A widespread ecological disaster that destroys the entire food chain, long term, and also drops the entire grid = I'm screwed. Doubt I would survive whatever dropped the food chain. If I did survive, it wouldn't be for long hopefully.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CrypticCRICKET For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2014, 11:35 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,208 Times in 5,726 Posts

I would assume that the government will see to it, that the starvation is drug out just as far as possible .
This would insure that any food that was being stored would have been consumed as well, either by poor planing or theft or confiscation , not sure there's a difference.
Gardening may to be under attack more so than it is been seen now. Officially.
Fighting over access to a garden prematurely might also be a problem even with on one's own group.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:31 AM
Survivor

Thanked 13,876 Times in 5,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw69 View Post
By far, the biggest industry in California is agriculture. I think the main problem for people would be clean water.
Well, the farms out there have been shorted on irrigation water for years so it produces less now. Also and more importantly California mostly produces vegetables and vegetables are low calorie.

Yes I know they also produce dairy, beef an a little rice but they do not produce enough calories to sustain the huge population for long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2014, 02:52 AM
Hunter

Just have some big pants and shirt handy and put them on when you answer the door, if they ask for food tell them your out and when they see the baggy cloths on you it will look like your getting thin from not eating, just don't make it look to obvious. That's if you answer the door at all.
Answer the door with a ham sammage in hand and its game over hahaha...
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ranger56528 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2014, 02:57 AM
Hunter

With moderate activity and Zero food (only water) you will loose approx. 3kg per week or a pound a day! and that will taper off a bit as the weeks pass!

How much overweight are you???????

A prime athelete with minimal body fat will take only several weeks to be on the brink of death.
A fat fart may take 6 months or more to be on the brink but that maybe cut short by other things like vitamin defiencies! and damaged organs failing!

At the start most dying will be from misadventure from trying to secure food!
then the starving kicks in and those with existing health problems start poping there clogs!

First 6 weeks deaths will be from violence
next 6months violence will subside and starvation will be the main killer until more food comes available!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nightwind For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2014, 03:06 AM
Hunter

Not Fat at all hahaha.
My nephew played hockey in Australia Not so long ago, a month or so, cant remember the team tho will look it up.

He played for the Perth Thunder. 2013 had 46 points.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:09 AM
Avoidance & Deterrence

Thanked 3,451 Times in 1,405 Posts

I think that 70 days will be about it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to George Newbill For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2014, 08:19 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,130 Times in 770 Posts

I'd be more worried about the hungry people than anything.

Imagine a shtf scenario with the stores cleaned out and nothing is moving. I'd guess the avarage family has a week or two before they are out of food. Some sooner some later.

What will happen to avarage joe who kids have not eaten in 4 days, and smells that can of DintyMore your heating up?

And I wouldn't assume they would "fade into the sunset." People will survive even if it means cannibalization. Technically they would eat pretty good!

Something else to worry about
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to OliverR. For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2014, 08:32 AM
5 Will Survive

Thanked 62,508 Times in 10,290 Posts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minneso...ion_Experiment

And

Are interesting...
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to junglecrawler For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2014, 12:19 PM
4-America

The big problem will come from authorities. Mayor, city council, nat guard, etc. will want to begin a mandatory food turn-in/seizure program early on. Their driving thought will be self-survival, using their power to seize food, using hungry people as the excuse. You will find it easier to survive a hungry neighbor than a convoy of self-appointed marshals intent on seizing everyone's food, if you resist, so much the better, because now its your fault you got shot.
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to TommyT For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2014, 12:28 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,906 Times in 733 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverR. View Post
I'd be more worried about the hungry people than anything.
They'll be easy to fend off. Just don't get too bloated on Spam and beans.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nucky For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2014, 01:11 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,162 Times in 512 Posts

I think the concentration camps (work type) probably are the most realistic model we have for determining longevity under severe malnutrition coupled with physical exertion. The ones who survived were fortunate enough to hang on until liberation, usually because they had spent less time in the prison, i.e. the newer prisoners.

One thing I never see discussed is what about all the rotting corpses? Even with some distance away from the worst areas you could still be effected by the abnormal increase in flies.

If you look deep into history, even early Biblical times, you'll find mass migrations of peoples away from their home region to areas of available food. With masses of people moving into strange areas you're going to have friction. Its just how humans are.

A pretty ugly picture but if you're physically and psychologically prepared for it you'll be the better off for it. And after all isn't that why we participate in these forums??

In the background of this discussion I hear Axel Rose singing "Welcome to the Jungle".
Welcome to the jungle it gets worse here every day
Ya learn to live like an animal in the jungle where we play
If you hunger for what you see you'll take it eventually
You can have everything you want but you better not take it from me
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wild Bill H For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2014, 01:12 PM
Really?

Thanked 10,509 Times in 5,063 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Common-Sense View Post
Okay, so, there is no food in the stores and the gas supply has been used up. How long before everyone "around me" dies, with a mouth full of grass, thinking that will keep them from starving to death?

I ask this because if something serious does happen, people are going to be wandering around for a while and you will have to fend off the neighbors for "x" amount of time before they go away.....So, being that you were able to trick them away long enough to croak, god rest thier soul, how long would that take in the real world, with them eating bark and what not?

Any good ways to throw them off track so they think your starving like them and move on?

Well, imo, you're dictating one scenario where everyone is just sitting around and starving.

Humans have tendency to organize and group together.

Folks in Katrina survived by grouping together and pooling resources and such.

These are things you should be doing now- have a plan. Look at all water sources and see what food is there( fish, snails, turtles and birds, etc), look a parks and woods for sources of food( squirrel and birds). In Urban, you have boo coo buildings to search and scavenge. Animals like cats ad dogs and snakes and birds, etc.

With diligence and planning and practice, no one should be eating grass.

If folks come to you, put them to work getting water and food or defense.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:00 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,989 Times in 1,877 Posts

Keep in mind that if there is no food there is a good chance there is no potable water. Its not likely that the utilites will continue to fuction when there is no food. Most people are clueless when it comes to water. Many will think they can boil any water they find and it will be safe to drink. I give it about two months for the majority of those who are going to die to die.

If there is no food where you are people will attempt to travel to wherever the rumor say there is relief. As these people head out of town or city no one staying behind will be motivated to stop them. Understand in the East there are no water sources that are safe to drink without treatment. (talking streams ponds rivers ect.) People will die from water borne diseases or the lack of water long before they will starve.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to seawind For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2014, 10:49 PM

My honest scenario would be that things slowly get tight over time. Its gonna be a slow transition, but, bottom line is, still, you dont let people know what you have. I am in an area where wells are norm, even though there is city water to most, so, people with wells are numerous, enough to void the water issue. What requirement comes next is food. This is something most do NOT have, and or prepared for. Sure, they will have thier garden supplies and food ration stamps, but, its gonna be hard AND "if" things do dry up, one needs to be prepared for a dry-up scenario, hence my original goofy question "no food".

There wuill be many scenarios that could happen and I am loing at them all, least trying to. I assume where i will be living, not in the city and 10-15 miles out in somewhat expanded land, people will want to do something. I am trying to figure what a house per 2 acre area scenario will produce in a bad scenario. n that scneario, they are not gonna group in a field together and I doubt people know enough about each other to want to group or have the idea to group, so, they will either go roaming or high tail it into FEMA/the city.
The Following User Says Thank You to Common-Sense For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2014, 11:30 PM
Simple Goat Herder

Thanked 27,985 Times in 7,509 Posts

The short answer is it's going to take months. People won't be 100% without food. They'll find some here and there even if it means cannibalism.

I think a major thing people seem to not want to deal with is that in a famine, you need to cut your calories too. Just because you have lots of food doesn't mean you should be stuffing your face like back in the day when food was unlimited. Preppers shouldn't be fat during a famine either.

Stretch your resources, get yourself slimmer and meaner, and lose some weight. Maybe not as much weight as your neighbors, but by the time they notice the difference they'll be too weak and psychologically disorganized to be nearly as much of a threat, and you going from obese to fit and lean will mean you're more capable of defending yourself. A famine is a great time to go on a diet.

That said, I think governments will tell people to go TO the cities to get free food, and people will do it. Even if there's not remotely enough food for everyone. They'll just fight over the scraps being thrown out of the helicopters and off of trucks. If they're not fighting over resources at a FEMA camp (such as the superdome during Katrina), they'll be too weakened and overwhelmed with starvation and despair to leave their homes. They'll sit and cry about it until they starve to death, or even kill themselves to end the hunger.

Does that mean there won't be people invading your home trying to rob you of food? Certainly not, but if you live in a suburb of 20,000 you're not going to be dealing with 20,000 people trying to bust in to your house. 20 maybe spread over half a dozen attacks, but not 20,000. The other thing to take in to consideration is that people are far more likely to try to trick you into an ambush than to just kick in the door. Why kick in the door when you can just knock and stick a concealed knife or gun in the gut of whoever opens it?
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Colt For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2014, 11:52 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,764 Posts

The smell. You cook your food others will smell it too.

However, in history most people become too weak by the time they are desperate enough to try and take your food.

Of course there are those that won't be too weak wait
The Following User Says Thank You to rugster For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2014, 12:59 AM
Gumpherhooberpelt

Thanked 7,924 Times in 2,663 Posts

[Anecdote flag on]
Back in my high school days, I knew a lass who fasted for one month, during the summer, and lost 100 lbs.
When she came back in the fall, she was unrecognizable.
Assuming a 2.5 - 4 lb loss (depending on activity) for each day of fasting, you can extrapolate from there.
A morbidly obese 400 lb sedentary person might endure 3 months of no food.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jetgraphics For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2014, 02:08 AM
Thank you very much

Thanked 8,057 Times in 2,540 Posts

I saw a lady at the doctors office today, and she looked like she could survive a whole year off of body fat alone.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shaz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2014, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vol 4 life View Post
I have often heard that if there were to be a total collapse of the power grid that there might be as much as a 90% die off in only 3 months. Some say even less time.