Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New to hammock camping Leavitt Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 25 06-22-2015 12:45 PM
Why I like to go hammock camping kev Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 61 07-31-2014 05:40 PM
New to site and hammock camping carlr New Member Introduction 6 01-20-2014 11:41 AM
Hammock Camping with a Dog Purdy Bear Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 2 11-08-2013 04:54 PM
camping with a hammock cameron wilcox Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 62 04-17-2012 02:44 PM
Hammock Camping FLoutdoors Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 16 11-28-2011 10:17 PM
hammock camping kissey0 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 31 04-20-2011 07:40 PM
hammock camping neo1 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 12 11-19-2008 11:28 AM
Hammock camping kev Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 40 07-24-2008 07:56 AM
Hammock Camping Josiah922 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 16 12-15-2007 11:14 PM

Old 09-15-2019, 09:22 PM
Improvise Adapt Overcome!

Thanked 12,159 Times in 5,327 Posts

Advertise Here

I am also kind of looking at these too. They look expensive, but lighter than what I have now.

It looks like it has design features inspired by Lawson, but its a stripped down modern design that would shave like 2 pounds off my system.

https://www.cruaoutdoors.com/collections/hammocks

https://youtu.be/YUaT5AliR8c
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2019, 10:28 AM
Survivor

Thanked 12,929 Times in 4,208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanishing Nomad View Post
The new ones are like 3.9 pounds. Its comparable to many other backpacking tents.
Most backpacking tents are now under two pounds (single person). My Notch is just 25oz (3+season). Ironically, for colder nights (below freezing), my ground system is about two pounds lighter than my hammock system. Light enough that I still pack an ENO Sub6, that is only half a pound with suspension lines/tree straps and I could add my cuben-fiber fly for another half pound for two separate sleep systems, both systems about three pounds (43oz).

I wonder if Lawson used carbon fiber, Dyneema lines, and maybe even Dyneema fabric if they could get it down to two pounds...boy that would expensive though.

ROCK6
Old 09-17-2019, 08:43 PM

I actually think this Hammock is someone trying to take the Lawson design, and cut the weight as much as possible, while keeping certain key design features. 1.7 pounds

I am very seriously considering getting this:

https://www.cruaoutdoors.com/products/crua-koala
The Following User Says Thank You to Vanishing Nomad For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2019, 09:04 AM
Survivor

Quote:
I actually think this Hammock is someone trying to take the Lawson design, and cut the weight as much as possible, while keeping certain key design features. 1.7 pounds

I am very seriously considering getting this:

https://www.cruaoutdoors.com/products/crua-koala
Yeah, that's pretty close. I think the value of the Lawson is that it's designed to go to the ground. While most regular hammocks can (and I have) be set up on the ground, the Lawson has that specific design. This is where I find a conundrum. I can go with a primary tent shelter with a ultralight weight hammock setup; or, I can go with a more substantial hammock with the ability to go to ground.

Right now, I have a versatile sleep system right at about 10.5 pounds (172.4oz).

Tarptent (with footprint and stakes), setup up for 3+season use
Cuben-fiber hammock fly
ENO Sub7 hammock and suspension
NeoAir inflatable pad
Z-Rest (six sections) CCF pad
Ti-Goat Ptarmigan bivvy cover
Kifaru Slick Bag (20 degree)
Wilderness Innovations Onsi Cloak
Snugpak mosquito net

The hammock is extremely preferred from late spring to early fall, especially if in really wet, hot/humid areas. If it's wet and summer time, you'll be soaked in some places on the ground and/or sweat like crazy even with the tent set up for maximum air flow.

The Onsi Cloak is similar to many of the other expensive poncho liners, but it can be set up very effectively as an under-quilt for the hammock, and it can serve as an "over-bag" with the sleeping bag to get the comfort rating down to about 10 degrees (more than enough for the Southeast).

Aside from the winter use of the tent, summer use for the hammock, I can also just use the rain fly with or without the Ptarmigan bivvy for a quick ground setup.

It's not perfect. I'm still working on the best ground pad setup. I may go back to my down sleeping bag simply to cut weight, but the synthetic insulation of the Kifaru bag is extremely robust without adding too much weight. I'm also considering on adding my wool bush shirt as part of my clothing system as it's something that can be used to really improve my sleeping insulation as well. It's an evolution to find a versatile system for year-round use.

ROCK6
The Following User Says Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2019, 06:45 PM

The wool bush shirt is a must in my book.

BUT, wool works best when layers with more wool. A really light merino wool baselayer, makes the wool bush shirt infinitely more versatile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCK6 View Post
Yeah, that's pretty close. I think the value of the Lawson is that it's designed to go to the ground. While most regular hammocks can (and I have) be set up on the ground, the Lawson has that specific design. This is where I find a conundrum. I can go with a primary tent shelter with a ultralight weight hammock setup; or, I can go with a more substantial hammock with the ability to go to ground.

Right now, I have a versatile sleep system right at about 10.5 pounds (172.4oz).

Tarptent (with footprint and stakes), setup up for 3+season use
Cuben-fiber hammock fly
ENO Sub7 hammock and suspension
NeoAir inflatable pad
Z-Rest (six sections) CCF pad
Ti-Goat Ptarmigan bivvy cover
Kifaru Slick Bag (20 degree)
Wilderness Innovations Onsi Cloak
Snugpak mosquito net

The hammock is extremely preferred from late spring to early fall, especially if in really wet, hot/humid areas. If it's wet and summer time, you'll be soaked in some places on the ground and/or sweat like crazy even with the tent set up for maximum air flow.

The Onsi Cloak is similar to many of the other expensive poncho liners, but it can be set up very effectively as an under-quilt for the hammock, and it can serve as an "over-bag" with the sleeping bag to get the comfort rating down to about 10 degrees (more than enough for the Southeast).

Aside from the winter use of the tent, summer use for the hammock, I can also just use the rain fly with or without the Ptarmigan bivvy for a quick ground setup.

It's not perfect. I'm still working on the best ground pad setup. I may go back to my down sleeping bag simply to cut weight, but the synthetic insulation of the Kifaru bag is extremely robust without adding too much weight. I'm also considering on adding my wool bush shirt as part of my clothing system as it's something that can be used to really improve my sleeping insulation as well. It's an evolution to find a versatile system for year-round use.

ROCK6
Old 09-19-2019, 08:37 AM
Survivor

Quote:
The wool bush shirt is a must in my book.

BUT, wool works best when layers with more wool. A really light merino wool baselayer, makes the wool bush shirt infinitely more versatile.
That's how I would have it set up. The only issue is my current location. If on the move the heavier wool bush shirt would mostly ride in the pack. I usually go with a merino wool T-shirt and wind shirt when backpacking down to freezing; my heavier bush shirt turns into an oven if moving much.

ROCK6
Old 09-19-2019, 11:57 AM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 34,778 Times in 9,746 Posts

I just noticed that Wiggy makes (4) different mummy style sleeping bags designed for hammock users.

The 4lb ultralight model (rated 20F), has holes built into the foot section and hood section, and is designed to wrap around the hammock like a hotdog bun.

I dont know how many hammocks are small enough to fit within the bag, but it's a much simpler idea than over/under quilts.
https://www.wiggys.com/sleeping-bags...ag-center-zip/

Does this idea make any sense to diehard hammock users?
The Following User Says Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2019, 08:07 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hick Industries View Post
I just noticed that Wiggy makes (4) different mummy style sleeping bags designed for hammock users.

The 4lb ultralight model (rated 20F), has holes built into the foot section and hood section, and is designed to wrap around the hammock like a hotdog bun.

I dont know how many hammocks are small enough to fit within the bag, but it's a much simpler idea than over/under quilts.
https://www.wiggys.com/sleeping-bags...ag-center-zip/

Does this idea make any sense to diehard hammock users?
They do for really cold weather, but they can be a little constricting as well and a bit of PITA to get in and out of often. It would be interesting to see the difference in weight between an under-quilt and a top-quilt separately as opposed to one big cocoon bag. The two separate quilts gives me a lot more versatility and temperature range use.

ROCK6
Old 09-20-2019, 06:04 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 34,778 Times in 9,746 Posts

Quote:
They do for really cold weather, but they can be a little constricting as well and a bit of PITA to get in and out of often. It would be interesting to see the difference in weight between an under-quilt and a top-quilt separately as opposed to one big cocoon bag. The two separate quilts gives me a lot more versatility and temperature range use.

ROCK6
Thanks. My only hammock experience is napping during the summer.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2019, 08:32 PM

Quote:
That's how I would have it set up. The only issue is my current location. If on the move the heavier wool bush shirt would mostly ride in the pack. I usually go with a merino wool T-shirt and wind shirt when backpacking down to freezing; my heavier bush shirt turns into an oven if moving much.

ROCK6
I just wear a T shirt under my wool hoodie when I am moving. I add layers for sleeping.

I also made mine with a full front zipper, so i can better thermo regulate.
Old 09-20-2019, 11:10 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,128 Times in 1,360 Posts

I know this is an old thread and I donít know if itís already been mentioned (maybe even by me )but for me itís hard to beat a Warbonnet Blackbird XLC.
If money is tight DD Hammocks arenít bad, theyíre in the UK but ship to the states overnight and included in the price unless thatís changed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Corpus For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2019, 05:50 PM
Prepared

Yeah:
https://www.lawsonhammock.com/collec...amping-hammock

Old 09-23-2019, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnepig View Post
I have a hand made original, made by the original inventor back when he still made them in his garage and ONLY sold them through the "Brigade's Quartermasters" catalog. This was before the internet, when you actually had paper catalogs with mail in order forms in the back.