Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New to hammock camping Leavitt Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 25 06-22-2015 12:45 PM
Why I like to go hammock camping kev Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 61 07-31-2014 05:40 PM
New to site and hammock camping carlr New Member Introduction 6 01-20-2014 11:41 AM
Hammock Camping with a Dog Purdy Bear Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 2 11-08-2013 04:54 PM
camping with a hammock cameron wilcox Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 62 04-17-2012 02:44 PM
Hammock Camping FLoutdoors Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 16 11-28-2011 10:17 PM
hammock camping kissey0 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 31 04-20-2011 07:40 PM
hammock camping neo1 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 12 11-19-2008 11:28 AM
Hammock camping kev Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 40 07-24-2008 07:56 AM
Hammock Camping Josiah922 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 16 12-15-2007 11:14 PM

Old 01-14-2014, 02:13 PM

Post Best hammock for camping

Advertise Here

I'm looking into purchasing a hammock as a few friends and myself are going to go on some back packing expeditions this summer... We're not going to be on level, or soft ground, so we all decided to get hammocks and go that route. My plan is to hang my hammock, then stretch some para-cord over top and hang a tarp over it to keep rain and dew off.
I looked around on amazon and read some reviews, but I want some first hand reviews and info. Would like to stay in the $50-75 price range. Something that is somewhat compact that I can easily carry it in my bag.

Not sure if they make them with a rifle holder, but that would be sweet if it had that feature as I always carry my AR or Mossberg 590 with me on camping trips. Zombie proof would be nice too
Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2014, 02:48 PM

You could always make your own rifle sling out of some paracord and nylon.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:04 PM
Survivor

Thanked 17,784 Times in 4,826 Posts

I camp in my grand trunk ultralight and use two cam buckle straps to secure it to trees. This allows for the area selection to have variation with the straps. I toss my thermarest pad in me bag to keep my bottom warm on cold nights, that is the one difference between that and a tent. Be sure your tarp extends 1-2ft past the hammock to keep you dry. For skeeters I took a cot net and ran shock cord through the hem with a cord lock on the ends.

Amazon (Thumbnails) cover
Amazon (Thumbnails)
The Following User Says Thank You to Adam For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2014, 03:57 PM
o||||o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou woods guy View Post
Check out www.hammockforums.net

I have a grand trunk skeeter beater and it's comfortable to sleep in and has a bug net. I also have an eno single nest, but I haven't slept over night in it, just naps and lounging.
Yes.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:36 PM

The military surplus Rothco Hammocks are pretty nice. They have build in skeeter nettings, with an overall a durable design. It's not the lightest hammock out there, but it comes in at the price you mentioned around 60 bucks. Works for me, ymmv.

Here's a little youtube vid of it setup.

http://youtu.be/H2ZJr1jjtHk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThatGuyFromMaine For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2014, 05:14 PM

Yeah check out Hammock Forums. Watch Shug's YouTube videos as well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DoWhatIDO For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2014, 05:24 PM

ENO hammock- ENO bug net- british army basha tarp- and get the poly straps to hang the ENO hammock (Atlas, I think) b/c I found the nylon ones stretch. I toss a foam pad in mine when its chilly.

Also- a ridgeline for your tarp and bug net works much better than just tying lines from the grommets. Learned this the hard way.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:54 PM
Always Be Prepared

I've got an Eno double nest with the corresponding accessories and It's a good quality for the price. Once you get to a certain point, a hammock...is a hammock. Some of those people on the forums take it to far. It's simple technology, no need to over think, and over spend.

That being said, the Skeeter Beeter looks like a good bargain as well. I kind of wish i'd bought it instead
Old 01-14-2014, 10:02 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,454 Times in 2,663 Posts

There's a hammock out there that has extra sections built in on the ends for your feet. I forget the brand. I wish I had one though because I'm tall and my feet get crammed into the ends. That's an example of how all hammocks are not created equal.

I have some grand trunk ones because they are inexpensive. But I've compared them to ENO ones in the stores and you can tell the ENO material is much better. And there are brands better than ENO also.

And a rifle holder on a hammock?!? You been smokin' that legal weed down in Colorado OP?
Old 01-15-2014, 12:16 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,674 Times in 2,358 Posts

or go cheap and make your own. head on down to joanns or hancock if your local walmart doesnt have 1.9oz ripstop. have 4 yards cut. then if yuor wife doesnt have a sewing machine, visit a tailor and ask them how much to put a hem around the edges. from there look at how to whip the ends. you should have a cheap and very light hammock. at that time you can also ask them to sew in a big net or just use noseeum and a ridge line and gathered ends and some velcro to close it up.

for the tarp again get 2 more sections of the same ripstop and have the tailor sew them together and hem the thing. then sew in loops. all in all you should have a nice very light weight sleep system that should come in around 2 and a half lbs.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:08 AM

I have a Warbonnet Blackbird and a Warbonnet XLC not sure if they're what ninjasurvivor was referring to but they have a "footbox" built in to help you lay across the hammock giving you the flattest lay possible. Mine have the straps for the suspension system and they are super quick and easy to set up.....they're not cheap though and are outside the price bracket you've specified but are very worth it in my opinion.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SNAFU308 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2014, 05:54 AM
Survivor

Thanked 12,894 Times in 4,197 Posts

We have several hammocks and although my main backpacking hammock is a Warbonnet Black Bird, I do use a Trek-Lite during the more hot/humid parts of the summer. You can find some great deals and a single layer hammock like Trek-Lite or ENO will more than suffice. Any tarp or fly long enough to cover you will work, no issues there and you can do so on the cheap. My only advice is that if the bugs are bad, get a mosquito net…well worth the investment to get a good night’s sleep.

As most will agree the hammock is one of the best methods for some areas that are very wet environments, very buggy or just plain hot and humid. If your tarp is big enough, one side can be set up like a large awning giving the ability to sit in your hammock, but still cook (with a stove), relax/read, repair gear or practice other smaller bushcraft skills.

If temperatures are forecasted to drop to the 50’s or so, I would consider a simple closed-cell sleeping pad section; at least to help insulate your core. Even with the temps are in 70’s at night, you get excellent cooling from the slightest breeze. Convection is the biggest advantage in hot weather and the biggest challenge in colder temperatures.

The more time you spend in a hammock, you’ll appreciate the “asymmetrical” designs that allow you to lie diagonally, on your stomach and even on your side.

If you’re just starting out, no need to over-think it. Once you get your set up, my recommendation is to do a day hike in an area where you can set your hammock up…repeatedly. It takes practice to visually measure the best area and tree separation for your site. Another aspect I like about hammocks over tents is when you use a separate rain fly. The first item that goes up when we stop for the night is the fly. If it’s raining or getting ready to rain, that fly will allow you to store your gear and set up your hammock out of the rain. It’s also the last item that comes down and if backpacking the only wet item that gets attached to the pack and if it’s Sil-Nylon, 10 minutes in a sunny, open area or hanging in the wind, it will dry quickly.

ROCK6
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2014, 07:36 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,454 Times in 2,663 Posts

You can also use a tarp and/or a regular sheet in addition to the ripstop nylon, and make your own hammock. Just tie the ends with a sheet bend knot and some strong rope or webbing.

I'd been doing some late fall camping and there shouldn't be that many bugs, especially in my area. I woke up one morning to a big bee buzz bombing my hammock trying to get in. Fortunately I was using my skeeter beeter so it had the mosquito netting. Its worth having because even if the bloodsuckers aren't out, the other flying insects will still annoy the hell out of you.
The Following User Says Thank You to ninjasurvivor For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2014, 06:55 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,185 Times in 960 Posts

Warbonnet Blackbird. Everything else pales in comparison.
The Following User Says Thank You to JRR For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2014, 07:04 PM
Gumpherhooberpelt

Thanked 7,905 Times in 2,656 Posts

A general introduction to the hang - - -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hammock_camping

The Hennessy hammock has many virtues.
http://www.hennessyhammock.com/

Some people like 'em, some do not.
Personally, I like the "step in, turn, sit down" entry system.
Folks that have mobility or back problems like them, too.

Some people prefer side entrance hammocks and would find no benefit with Hennessy.

FWIW - the impetus for the design of the Hennessy was to make the lightest possible camping hammock system, which may be why some find fault with it.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:51 PM
Generator Wrangler

Thanked 5,894 Times in 2,019 Posts

How can you decide which is the best hammock unless you spend some time in each prospective model? Does the hammock industry have hammock shows? Does Cabelas or Sportsman Warehouse have have display models?
Old 01-15-2014, 10:44 PM
swamp rat

Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,289 Posts

Clark Jungle Hammocks are without a doubt the top of the line. Expensive but you won't ever need another (unless your son borrows yours and moves away to North Carolina before returning it).
Old 01-18-2014, 10:35 PM

Thumbs up for shug!
Old 01-19-2014, 05:38 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,031 Times in 523 Posts

=====>Hennessy Disciple<====== Get the biggest fly or make one. A few extra square meters of fly material doesnt weigh or bulk enough to matter but can make worlds of difference on a wet and scummy night. I usually carry both the standard fly that came with the hammock as well as the one I made which is more than twice the size. If I'm feeling paranoid, I can set up both for a double layer. I put a high value on a restful and undisturbed night's sleep.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:02 PM
Target Shooter

I tried my new hammock I got on some online deal before Christmas last night - very comfortable and cool - I'm used to Latin American style hammocks that are woven and really strong - but this new one is really light and made of a think nylon parachute like material - it's supposedly good for someone much heavier than me but I was a bit nervous getting into it I won't deny! It's a complete no-name brand which is fine by me and if has it's own drawn string pocket attached that the whole thing packs up into - weighs almost nothing

Probably great to keep in my pack and use it if I need it, but I don't think it's a long term kind of product like my Latin American style one that I am happy leaving up for my kid to jump into after school under the patio
The Following User Says Thank You to arrowbreaker For This Useful Post: