Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
If you had to pick a 10mm semi auto or a 44mag revolver, which one would it be? Illinois Crackpot 66 Pistol and Revolver Forum 156 06-01-2018 09:11 PM
22 semi-auto pistol that eats anything Revision Pistol and Revolver Forum 68 12-05-2014 11:26 PM
First pistol. Semi or revolver? WildCard Pistol and Revolver Forum 36 12-16-2013 02:43 PM
Revolver or semi auto handgun? For long term survival. Sleepnasty Firearms General Discussion 43 04-05-2013 12:36 PM
ultimate survival side arm. semi auto or revolver? dowg Pistol and Revolver Forum 83 04-01-2012 07:18 PM
One caliber: revolver, semi auto, AND rifle MattNC Firearms General Discussion 32 03-19-2012 05:41 PM
Revolver Guy moving to Hi-Cap semi auto Dansanman Pistol and Revolver Forum 38 08-26-2011 09:21 PM
Revolver vs. Semi-Auto Brad in Seattle Pistol and Revolver Forum 35 03-16-2010 05:01 PM
.17 HMR semi auto pistol? MH12194 Pistol and Revolver Forum 11 01-31-2010 01:12 AM
Revolver or semi-auto for first pistol? kev Firearms General Discussion 33 06-13-2008 11:48 PM

Old 04-06-2012, 07:09 PM
This is a great survival forum

Default Need pistol advise.. Revolver or semi-auto?

Advertise Here

So I've fallen into some extra cash and am in the market for a budget type pistol for $300 or under.

I came across two choices. An EAA Windicator .357 4" barrel for $309

Or a Kel-tec PF9 in OD for $280

Here are my issues. This isn't going to be a daily carry. But could end up as one in the future.

Pros of the 357 is it can shoot 38 special. Longer range and harder hitting.

The PF9 is cheaper to shoot and with an extra $200 slide and barrel can shoot .22 adding to the value.

It's hard to deside which is a better buy. I need to make a choice soon as gun prices keep rising and budget pistols are becoming less of a budget buy.

Any input is awesome.
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2012, 12:21 AM

Location: South central Missouri "in the heart of the Ozarks"

Look at the used gun market. Small gunshops, pawnshops, friends or family, ect. While either of the handguns that you have found would work, neither of them would be anything that I would put very high on my want list. There are some high quality handguns on the used market and in your price range that might make you happier in the long run.

Also, look around and borrow from friends or family their pistols and actually shoot as many types as you can. You may find that you like either the revolver or pistol more so than the other. The type that feels best and shoots best for you would be the type that I would consider the most. Good luck with whatever you settle on.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to roadking For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2012, 12:59 AM
I'll fix it

Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,026 Posts

You may want to consider breaking out the old credit card and getting a new Glock 19 or 30SF.....if you can even find one.
http://us.glock.com/
I was looking at some decent revolvers and most of the ones I like cost a grand or so.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to techo For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2012, 01:26 AM
I drive a compact car

Quote:
Here are my issues. This isn't going to be a daily carry. But could end up as one in the future.
Then grab a snubbie .38 and have at it. A 4" .357 isn't going to be a great carry gun due to size, and a PF9 is a snappy 9mm if you've never fired one. YMMV.
The Following User Says Thank You to Han Soloflex For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2012, 10:50 AM
OTP Rebel

I've had both of the OP's choices, both went back, both are gone now . I have a G19 and a LCP for EDC
Old 04-07-2012, 10:51 AM

Glocks are out. I have fired many and just don't like them. The PF9 feels good. And I love .357 revolvers. But 357 revolvers are quite expensive.

My reason for the 4" or more barrel is accuracy. The recoil from a 2" barrel is insane and so is the muzzle flash. I have fired a friends 38/357 in 2" and it was a beast. It was a S&W. While nice. Was too much kick and flash to return the sight picture.

I am straying away from used firearms. You just don't know who owned them before you or what they did to it. Or with it

As of now these are the two I have desided on. Price is right and they are NIB.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:21 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,271 Times in 698 Posts

I don't know your experience level with handguns but IMO, revolvers are harder to fire accurately than a pistol. For me, it's largely due to the grip angle and how you have to pull the trigger on a revolver compared to the more straight line pull of a pistol.
Old 04-07-2012, 02:24 PM
Prepared

You are severely limiting yourself by not considering used. The only new handguns I will buy now are Ruger Single Actions, and they really need some gunsmithing to be right. On the other hand, a used S&W Model 10 or Model 15 from the 1970s or earlier is a fine firearm, with trigger pulls and fitting that just isn't available in new handguns now. Model 10s can be bought anywhere from $250 to $350, depending on the finish. Model 15s can be bought from $325 to $450. These are two of the finest, most reliable guns ever made. Don't be put off by a worn finish. Many law enforcement guns were carried daily but only fired when the officer qualified.

I would rather have one good used Model 10 than two each, brand new, of either of the guns you mentioned, especially if my life depended on it.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to levelfarmer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2012, 04:11 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,180 Times in 2,401 Posts

It depends on what you want. As said before, if I had only the money for one handgun with would be a Glock 19. The PF 9s are good guns, but a Glock would be a better choice. If you want a revolver, a used S&W Pre Lock or a used Ruger Security Six, GP100 or a SP101 would be a good choice.

Look quick and buy fast, used, reasonably priced guns are likely to disappear with the election drawing nigh.

Its just what ever you like.

Jungle Work
Old 04-07-2012, 06:11 PM
I'll fix it

Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,026 Posts

If there's any way you can push the budget, you should consider a better quality firearm.
Or wait untill you have more cash.
Take a look at the new Remington 1911. This is in .45ACP and would be an excellent carry weapon because it's single stack.
Stopping power and the reliability of Remington.
http://www.1911r1.com/Products/Firea...el-1911r1.aspx
Gallery of Guns has them in stock. $623 from my local dealer + fees & taxes $696 OTD
http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/D...&zipcode=33319
Just think about it and do a little more research before you spend your cash for a low end firearm.
Just my opinion.
The Following User Says Thank You to techo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2012, 06:33 PM
Survivor

Thanked 13,424 Times in 3,682 Posts

Both have their Pros and Cons. Revolvers rarely jam which is good, but most hold only 6 rounds. Semi-Autos do occasionally jam but they hold anywhere from 6 rounds up to and exceeding 18 rounds. With the exception of a speed loader for revolvers, semi's are generally faster to reload...popout the spent mag and shove in a new one. It comes down to personal preference and which one you like best.
The Following User Says Thank You to SCALPHUNTER For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2012, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermag View Post
I don't know your experience level with handguns but IMO, revolvers are harder to fire accurately than a pistol. For me, it's largely due to the grip angle and how you have to pull the trigger on a revolver compared to the more straight line pull of a pistol.
From all the pistols I've shot accuracy really isn't diffrent to me. Shot placement is where I want it to go. (but not every gun is the same some are just pi$s poor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by levelfarmer View Post
You are severely limiting yourself by not considering used. The only new handguns I will buy now are Ruger Single Actions, and they really need some gunsmithing to be right. On the other hand, a used S&W Model 10 or Model 15 from the 1970s or earlier is a fine firearm, with trigger pulls and fitting that just isn't available in new handguns now. Model 10s can be bought anywhere from $250 to $350, depending on the finish. Model 15s can be bought from $325 to $450. These are two of the finest, most reliable guns ever made. Don't be put off by a worn finish. Many law enforcement guns were carried daily but only fired when the officer qualified.

I would rather have one good used Model 10 than two each, brand new, of either of the guns you mentioned, especially if my life depended on it.
I have looked into smiths and I love them. But around my area revolvers are sky rocketing because of concealed carry. Older smiths are hard to find. And when you do they aint cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Work View Post
It depends on what you want. As said before, if I had only the money for one handgun with would be a Glock 19. The PF 9s are good guns, but a Glock would be a better choice. If you want a revolver, a used S&W Pre Lock or a used Ruger Security Six, GP100 or a SP101 would be a good choice.

Look quick and buy fast, used, reasonably priced guns are likely to disappear with the election drawing nigh.

Its just what ever you like.

Jungle Work
For me glocks just don't feel right. Maybe it's just me. I've shot a 19, 17, 23 and another in 45 I can't remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by techo View Post
If there's any way you can push the budget, you should consider a better quality firearm.
Or wait untill you have more cash.
Take a look at the new Remington 1911. This is in .45ACP and would be an excellent carry weapon because it's single stack.
Stopping power and the reliability of Remington.
http://www.1911r1.com/Products/Firea...el-1911r1.aspx
Gallery of Guns has them in stock. $623 from my local dealer + fees & taxes $696 OTD
http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/D...&zipcode=33319
Just think about it and do a little more research before you spend your cash for a low end firearm.
Just my opinion.
I am considering a budget stretch. Not only due to the economy and firearms flu that's going around these days. A 1911 is on my top of great guns to own. I am in the end looking for a semi and revolver. But price is becoming an issue everywhere. Maybe saving up for a year or two when all this BS blows over is my best bet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCALPHUNTER View Post
Both have their Pros and Cons. Revolvers rarely jam which is good, but most hold only 6 rounds. Semi-Autos do occasionally jam but they hold anywhere from 6 rounds up to and exceeding 18 rounds. With the exception of a speed loader for revolvers, semi's are generally faster to reload...popout the spent mag and shove in a new one. It comes down to personal preference and which one you like best.
This is where I am caught up. Both platforms are great at what they do. For now it's most likely going to be a fun gun. Untill it proves it's self. Or if it does.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:48 PM
Anti-Communist

While your choices are ok. These would not be my choices to choose from. There are plenty of options to choose from in that price range. Old Smith revolvers in .38 can be had for under $300and are great guns. Most are older police guns. My advice would be to check out ruger firearms. The LC9 is about $350 and I have yet to ever hear of a bad review on them. These seem to fly off the shelves at the local gunshops I frequent. For a little bit more you can get an SR9 or SR40 with are also respectable firearms. I would shy away from buying new discount revolvers like the Taurus, EAA etc. The trigger pulls suck and you will not learn well on them.

Or if you can hold out a little longer and save up buy a Sig P226, you wont regret this purchase.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:49 PM
Making chips

Thanked 1,012 Times in 445 Posts

I'd try and come up with another $100 and get a Sig SP 2022 in 9mm. It's a hard gun to best for the $.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:23 PM
Life, Liberty,& Happiness

Thanked 1,228 Times in 456 Posts

IMHO, I would stay clear of the KelTec, at the same time though I have never heard of the revolver brand.

There are other options in the $300 range like an S&W SWVE9 that might be worth considering.

I understand you have your mind set on the two mentioned, but I want to stress to you that their is a lot of collective gun experience available to you here, and you might want to listen.

Between your two choices, if I had to make one, I would likely buy a Hi-Point and spend the money saved on ammo. I don't know if you have heard of Hi-Point but if I'd pick that over your options then that is saying A LOT.

Good luck on your decision, I REALLY mean that.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:46 PM

Most often when it comes to firearms you get what you pay for.
Have you read reviews on either? I'd do quite a bit of research before dropping the cash.
What is this firearm to be used for? You mention that it might be a carry gun, do you plan on conceal carrying or open carry?

Another thing to consider with the .357, while it is a very potent round and it is versatile in the sense that you can also use 38 Special, neither is very cheap.
What firearms do you currently own?

What makes you think gun prices are rising? Availability is getting to be an issue because of people expecting another gun and ammo shortage like back in 2008, but I wouldn't invest too much in rumors.

I have a Ruger LC9 that I bought for $325 and it's been amazing. In about 7-800 rounds I think I've had maybe 1 stovepipe jam and no other issues. In all honestly, it was probably ammo related (low charge etc.).
Very similar to the Keltec PF9, but in my opinion better for concealment, more comfortable, and who can't love Ruger?
Old 04-08-2012, 12:19 AM
Patient Zero

Thanked 1,236 Times in 600 Posts

Well considering that this is not going to be a daily carry at first I would say that I would go with a revolver . If you have to ask this question then you need to go with the KISS method of Keep It Simple Stupid. If you plain to be in a bunch of gun fights I would say that the semi autos are going to be the best choice for you . If you want a rugged solid pistol that you could use to put food on the table and have something in case of a gun fight then a revolver should work just fine. My preference would be to get one in at least a 4 inch barrel ( 6 inch for more improved accuracy ) and some revolver speed loaders to go with it. What ever you go with I would practice with it every chance you got .
Old 04-08-2012, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycosteve View Post
Well considering that this is not going to be a daily carry at first I would say that I would go with a revolver . If you have to ask this question then you need to go with the KISS method of Keep It Simple Stupid. If you plain to be in a bunch of gun fights I would say that the semi autos are going to be the best choice for you . If you want a rugged solid pistol that you could use to put food on the table and have something in case of a gun fight then a revolver should work just fine. My preference would be to get one in at least a 4 inch barrel ( 6 inch for more improved accuracy ) and some revolver speed loaders to go with it. What ever you go with I would practice with it every chance you got .
...What?
Old 04-08-2012, 02:21 AM
Demon of the Midwest

Thanked 9,564 Times in 3,172 Posts

The EAA is an ok gun, but of the two Id go with the keltec. A Taurus revolver feels more solid than the EAA, and they don't cost much either. My Gun dealer carried the Keltec you mention, and he loves it.

Look around locally for used guns to, I have had some great deals on used pistols with a little haggling.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:44 AM

I'll put it this way. I live in the dallas metroplex area. Very populated. So since this firearm virus started attacking the population. Choices have started to become limited. Texas is known for it's gun toting cowboy types.

Local gun shops have been awash with people and on weekends hard to even get thru the doors at times. So finding that sweet deal has just about dried up in my area. I'm not saying there isn't a deal to be found. But it aint easy to find. Even pawn shops are price gouging!

Everyone tells me LCP. But I'm not really a ruger fan. Also watched a video the other day with a kel-tec vs a LCP. And the Kel-Tec seemed to win over it in a lot of ways.
I hate this guy. But he does have some good reviews:
Also the EAA windicator seems to get good reviews as well.
I do a lot of research before I ever buy a firearm. So much in fact I talk myself out of buying a lot.

I also have been looking at the taurus tracker in 357. Or the 7 shot model they make. Basically a copy of a S&W gun.

I also get a lot of good advise from this board. And have for awhile. If I didn't I wouldn't post here and ask such questions.