How to meet like minded people/preppers in your area? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Like minded people! JH57 New Member Introduction 15 01-20-2014 07:52 AM
Greetings - Looking to meet like minded people GreenSurvivalist New Member Introduction 19 03-11-2013 11:28 PM
How would you recommend a way to meet local like minded people? Fight4Freedom Urban Survival 21 01-16-2013 01:05 AM
Looking to meet preppers in St.Charles,MO area zach70287 Urban Survival 30 11-24-2012 03:07 AM
Connecticut like minded preppers Backwoods860 Events, Connections and Get togethers 16 07-25-2012 02:19 PM
greetings to like minded people dennis5165 New Member Introduction 11 02-08-2012 08:48 AM
Finding like minded people in your area Jmfg06 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 37 09-28-2011 11:20 AM
Want to meet like minded in your area? HanzoSteel Events, Connections and Get togethers 4 08-24-2010 09:37 AM
Nice to meet some like minded folks skyy New Member Introduction 11 02-18-2008 12:00 AM

Old 03-06-2012, 02:07 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Thanked 6,902 Times in 1,947 Posts
Default How to meet like minded people/preppers in your area?

Advertise Here

I live in a city and generally most people I know including friends and family aren't interested in prepping or anything survival related. I'm 23 y/o, a student living in the city I realize that the inner cities will be the most dangerous and chaotic in a SHTF situation.

Other than a couple friends who own firearms, almost no one I know is at all prepared for civil unrest situation or for food/fuel/energy shortages or anything else. I do my best to prep for specifically civil unrest (rioting, looting/home invasion) and fuel shortages (and the consequences that follow) because I've decided that those are the most probably SHTF scenarios for the area I live in.

It would be nice if I knew some other people taking precautions and preparing for this stuff, but I don't know where to meet folks like that and its pretty awkward to approach people with the subject because many completely disregard the entire concept.

Where do people generally meet like-minded folks? Or have most of you convinced your close friends and family to prep?
Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 02:14 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,732 Times in 1,741 Posts

Preppers tend to be a bit security conscious, so that tends to lead towards them not branching out much. Cause you never know when it's going to be someone that's of the mindset that raiding is the solution to their post-SHTF needs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PanicFire For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2012, 02:26 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Thanked 6,902 Times in 1,947 Posts

^ yeah OPSEC

well then are most preppers the lone wolf type?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2012, 02:33 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,732 Times in 1,741 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantis tobogen View Post
^ yeah OPSEC

While there are certainly many lone wolf types, prepping for survival almost dictates that you have some support structure in place. Be that like minded neighbors/community, friends or family.

It just takes time to bridge the trust factor.

I've been bad about meeting people outside my circle of friends/family. And have always been cautious about meeting people from the internet.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PanicFire For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2012, 02:48 PM
Survivor

Thanked 10,897 Times in 3,813 Posts

I would start with organizations or communities that promote a skillset useful to a prepper. Meet people who regularly visit the gun ranges, garden and can, hike and camp, etc. Eventually you'll see some overlap between the people interested in each of those skillsets, and you can try to befreind those folks.

I wouldn't start with identifying as a prepper, that will seem off-putting to a lot of people, as many who would identify themself as such tend to have higher than average levels of paranoia. Use common skill interest.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dragonid For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2012, 03:08 PM

Yes, it does get discouraging,mantis tobogen. I only just discovered this site, but will probably also look at permaculture and organic farming sites. At least in a city there are more folks to choose to share with, but you're right, when TSHTF time comes in America, you don't want to be in a city anyway if you have any choice in the matter at all. Those who have stayed anyway, may not have much to offer you. Yet out in the country it's mostly families and they're few and far between, and a little paranoid. I deal with this also, but in Spanish because I'm in South America. There are English speakers here - more all the time - and we are preparing - but the locals are pretty clueless. They think all the bad stuff will happen up there. They could be partly right, but it's almost impossible to convince anyone from up there that the country's done and it's time to rebuild somewhere where there's realistic hope - where you can drink the water, breathe the air, and eat the food.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gringagirl For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2012, 03:12 PM
Urban Van Survivor 1 Year

People who hear that I am a prepper and an experienced urban survivor tend to become suspicious of me and shun me. They think I'm a nut job and a conspiracy theorist. I guess it's completely not possible for our society to collapse right? I mean it's never happened before in history right? People want to live in their own little bubble and when they see you prepping it disturbs their delusions. Therefore I tend to be really careful about who knows that I prep. Besides some documents handed down from DHS to lower LE Agencies have stated that someone storing extra food/water might constitute a flag for terrorism. It's completely ridiculous. After all it's human nature to survive and adapt.

I would agree with Dragonid. Make friends through skill interest first. Personally if someone suddenly became interested in what I was doing I would be suspicious.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Someguyincali For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanicFire View Post
Preppers tend to be a bit security conscious, so that tends to lead towards them not branching out much. Cause you never know when it's going to be someone that's of the mindset that raiding is the solution to their post-SHTF needs.
I totatlly agree, you want to know who to trust, keep it local.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fritz5487 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonid View Post
I would start with organizations or communities that promote a skillset useful to a prepper. Meet people who regularly visit the gun ranges, garden and can, hike and camp, etc. Eventually you'll see some overlap between the people interested in each of those skillsets, and you can try to befreind those folks.

I wouldn't start with identifying as a prepper, that will seem off-putting to a lot of people, as many who would identify themself as such tend to have higher than average levels of paranoia. Use common skill interest.
I look to some of the people in my commiuty neigbors & ferinds family. The smaller the easyer it will to surive.
The Following User Says Thank You to fritz5487 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2012, 04:36 PM
Prepared

Thanked 18,477 Times in 8,483 Posts

Most preppers prep for themselves, family, relatives, and (maybe) some help for the neighborhood. Not much point in randomly branching out, unless its a particular skillset you want to work on (radio communications, first aid, bushcraft, etc.) My community posts municipal fliers with courses, volunteer opportunities, and so on. Then you should look at amateur radio clubs, the Red Cross, etc. for good matches for what you want to develop.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aramchek For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2012, 04:49 PM
Not On My Watch

Thanked 1,180 Times in 376 Posts

I have no idea about this. I have struggled with this as I won't tell anyone that we are preppers except family and they all think we are completely nuts. It is just me and my wife and she is scarred that if something happens to me during SHTF that she would not survive. She hounds me everyday about meeting like minded people but I tell her I don't know how to do that and don't know if I would trust them anyway when situations get bad.
The only idea I have is to try and find a church in my area that has prepping in mind but haven't found one yet.
Good luck!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kehoffmann1 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2012, 04:54 PM

Yeah, especially start with family / close friends. Ask them to tag along sometime.
"Hey was going to hit up (cheap food store here) wanna go?"

Get them shopping at the same places you do, let them see you buy a few flats of canned goods.

When they ask, just tell them the deal is too good to pass up and you can never have to many canned goods.

See if they agree with what your saying and buy a few flats themselves. They may let you in without knowing it on how they shop, or what kind of food they have put away. Either way you have engaged on the subject without them really knowing.

And with the recent publicity of the prepping movement, they may jokingly ask you "hey your not one of those preppers are you? those guys are nuts"
And you can answer that with a simple, well I would not call myself a prepper, but I do like to keep food on hand just in case. Should be easy with friends and family to get that conversation to open up.

You just need to keep conversations related to things everyone already needs or does. Shopping for food being one of them. It opens the door to conversation and you can always backtrack if you feel they are not into it.

Make jokes, "Hey, tell you what, you buy 3 flats of pork n beans and I will buy some spam, if the world ends we will join forces and have spam and pork n beans " Insert har de har har jovial laugh here lol

You see where I am going though, easy way to engage family and friends to view their thoughts without showing your hand and maybe get them in the game.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Marlboroman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2012, 11:13 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 152,752 Times in 44,507 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

From what I've discovered meeting the folks in my survival group, is that the key is in meeting people that share other, related interests. For example, one family I met at the shooting range. Another at church. Some of our other members are fellow gun show dealers.

Perhaps get out to some group events related to things that preppers are interested in, such as garden clubs, groups learning how to can food, shooting ranges, etc. Often community colleges have short courses on canning, gardening and such.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2012, 11:32 PM
Web Designer

I have the same problem.

The only people who SAY they believe in prepping is my family.
(Even though they don't prep)

The only people I can really trust is my family.

However if I met someone who has a good moral code and actually preps I would love to at least network with them.

Worst Case Scenario: Prep enough FOOD ONLY for family members who don't prep. But do not give them any soap, salt, luxuries, etc... Just food and a weapon to use and I would make them trade anything they have and work for their food too.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:18 AM
You talkin' to me?

Thanked 28,430 Times in 6,786 Posts

Check out some institutions that traditionally promote self reliance, such as the Masons. I belong to our local lodge, many there that share my concerns and practice the same lifestyle as I do.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Old Soldier For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2012, 08:49 AM

Too bad I left the Philly area 3 years ago. I would've prepped with ya!

If you're a student, nothing says you can post a sheet of paper advertising your interests with your email on a bulletin board in a hallway.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:53 AM
operatorchan.org

Thanked 2,028 Times in 977 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by breach_and_clear View Post

If you're a student, nothing says you can post a sheet of paper advertising your interests with your email on a bulletin board in a hallway.
That's like putting a bulls-eye on your head. I don't tell people in my classes about the firearms I own or the preps I have or that I am a survivalist. If I did I may end up on the campus watch list. Collages are far too liberal to accept the survivalist movement because they think that the govt will fix everything and if they see you stray from the herd being lead to the slaughter they will do everything in their power to make your life miserable.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to strokes762 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2012, 08:57 AM
Hardcore survival

Thanked 1,080 Times in 355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantis tobogen View Post
^ yeah OPSEC

Hmmm... I never see anyone way back here in the woods unless UPS or Fedex comes by quickly, and they're always nervous as hell...

Been back here for 40 years doin' this...

At least I have freedom and room to run and howl all I want

Old 03-07-2012, 09:36 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,219 Times in 691 Posts

I found a prep group that I never got a chance to meet in Jacksonville FL on meetup.

Most Ham Radio operators = prepared people by the buckets. They tend to be older but they are more likely to help you setup for pennies on the dollar then most gun guys, and they usually are more stable then the local gun store dooms dayers.

Many people floating around gun stores. Watch for the nut cases.

Fire & EMS usually have a good bit as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to MarksInnerDemon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2012, 05:34 PM
Web Designer

Meetup.com has groups but most of them are kinda babies IMO.