Seriously how "Easy" is it to build a PSA AR kit? - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
General "We helped build Isis" KRINKOV762 General Discussion 39 05-26-2015 08:46 PM
Let's build "Patriot Bundles" and do a cost comparison. subvetssn Firearms General Discussion 23 03-08-2014 11:26 PM
BOL - Buy "complete" or start with land and build? Meyer Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 28 10-25-2013 09:13 PM
TSA's new "easy pass" system; only costs $85,plus your fingerprints AND web history!! MIL-DOT General Discussion 15 07-26-2013 08:32 AM
Global central banks will keep "taking it easy"..... MIL-DOT Financial Forum 1 02-22-2013 12:38 PM
HOW TO? Build a metal/steel target for a Range? "9mm to 5.56" Please help. ROMAK47 Firearms General Discussion 8 04-06-2012 09:48 AM
Russia's Putin says wants to build "Eurasian Union" prepperintraining Political News and Discussion 5 10-04-2011 09:26 AM
"It's in the Bag:A New, Easy, Affordable, and Doable Approach to Food Storage" PistolPackingMama Book Reviews 3 03-17-2011 02:02 PM
Feds ready to build "virtual fence" along border jarhead101 General Discussion 11 05-13-2009 10:03 AM
N. Korea says it will build a "Defense Network." Duncan General Discussion 6 06-18-2007 12:54 AM

Old 02-13-2012, 11:22 PM
Avoidance & Deterrence

Thanked 3,451 Times in 1,405 Posts

Advertise Here

I am getting pretty good at it, I could probably build an AR in 2 or 3 hours. Fun too!
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2012, 02:29 AM
The Slingdart Master

Assembling a lower receiver is very easy. Like others have said all the parts are drop in so you can't get them mixed up. One of the only tricky things is getting those small detent pins for the safty in. There spring loaded and tend to go flying across the room if your not careful. Once its in your carpet its gone for good lol.

Assembling a upper is another story. I never had the pleasure. I've read it can be tricky you gotta use vices and get head spacing right. To me that seems like a lot of hassle.

I highly recommend you getting the parts kit and putting it together yourself. You get a good sense of pride knowing you did it yourself and you get to save some money.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:43 AM
This is a great survival forum

If you can build with legos. You can build an AR. All you need are some basic tools. A barrel/forend wrench is a must have. It shouldn't take long to crank one out from a parts kit.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:35 AM
Have gun,will travel

Thanked 7,363 Times in 2,817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MH12194 View Post
If you can build with legos. You can build an AR. All you need are some basic tools. A barrel/forend wrench is a must have. It shouldn't take long to crank one out from a parts kit.
His selected parts kit includes an assembled upper, so he won't need a barrel wrench.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:57 AM
SEMPER FI

OK tell me what you think please...

Going with the previously linked 16" Rifle Kit with a few changes in selection choices that they give me.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...rifle-kit.html

ADDING:
MOE MID HD BLK Handguard = + $20.00
Standard PSA M4 Stock = $0.00 (Plan to get a BUMP Stock later)
MOE GRIP BLK = + $11.00
A2 Flash Hinder = +0.00 (I should get this right?)
SIGHT - ????? Not sure.... need some help here.

PSA STRIPPED LOWER - OUT OF STOCK but $80.00 when they come in.

TOTAL = $710.00 without SIGHTS

Thoughts/comments?
Old 02-14-2012, 08:59 AM
SEMPER FI

Wait a minute, STRIPPED LOWERS these are IN STOCK TODAY, should I jump on it and buy it right now? Just worried they will run out and i'll have to wait weeks?

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...r15-lower.html
Old 02-14-2012, 09:16 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,886 Times in 2,439 Posts

You should get a 16"
just on the idea you may want to change the flash hider and put a suppressor on it later in life. The 14.7" flash hider is pinned.

You tube has many good build videos.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:18 AM
SEMPER FI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
You should get a 16"
just on the idea you may want to change the flash hider and put a suppressor on it later in life. The 14.7" flash hider is pinned.

You tube has many good build videos.
DO you know how the flash hinder on the 16" is? IS it pinned?
Old 02-14-2012, 09:27 AM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROMAK47 View Post
Not pinned on a 16". The 14.7" barrel is pinned.
PSA is right down the street from my house. Everything they put their name on is good quality. Most of their parts come from FN, who is also in Columbia. If the specs list "machine gun steel" for the barrel on one of their uppers, the barrel was supplied by FN. "Machine gun steel" is FN's proprietary alloy that they use for the M240B and M249 machine gun barrels, hence the name.
IMHO, you may want to hold off buying a stripped lower. They put them on sale for $49.95 fairly often. It shouldn't be long before another sale rolls around.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:36 AM
SEMPER FI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyVet View Post
Not pinned on a 16". The 14.7" barrel is pinned.
PSA is right down the street from my house. Everything they put their name on is good quality. Most of their parts come from FN, who is also in Columbia. If the specs list "machine gun steel" for the barrel on one of their uppers, the barrel was supplied by FN. "Machine gun steel" is FN's proprietary alloy that they use for the M240B and M249 machine gun barrels, hence the name.
IMHO, you may want to hold off buying a stripped lower. They put them on sale for $49.95 fairly often. It shouldn't be long before another sale rolls around.
SO would I be UNABLE to add a Supressor to the 16" then?

Yes I made sure the Rifle Kit I went with was FN Machine Gun steel, hammer forged, and double chrome lined, particle tested, nato 5.56, full auto bolt carrier, etc all MIL SPEC'd. At least thats what the rifle kit says.

Man I don;t know if I can wait, I LOVE saving money but I want this weapon so bad I can hardly stand it.

Any suggestions on the rear sight? I know i;d love to run an EOTech but I also know it will be a while before I get on at almost 450-500 a pop. SO I was thinking where could I find a say bushnell halo and run a Back up flip up iron sight? What do you think? I am used to the carry handle from the Marines but i'd like to run an optic eventually.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:37 AM
SEMPER FI

ANy thoughts on this front MOE vertical grip?..considering i'm going with the MOE front handguard

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...ical-grip.html
Old 02-14-2012, 09:55 AM
Hiker

Quote:
SO would I be UNABLE to add a Supressor to the 16" then?

Yes I made sure the Rifle Kit I went with was FN Machine Gun steel, hammer forged, and double chrome lined, particle tested, nato 5.56, full auto bolt carrier, etc all MIL SPEC'd. At least thats what the rifle kit says.

Man I don;t know if I can wait, I LOVE saving money but I want this weapon so bad I can hardly stand it.

Any suggestions on the rear sight? I know i;d love to run an EOTech but I also know it will be a while before I get on at almost 450-500 a pop. SO I was thinking where could I find a say bushnell halo and run a Back up flip up iron sight? What do you think? I am used to the carry handle from the Marines but i'd like to run an optic eventually.
I went with a removable carrying handle. I prefer to just remove it and install my Aimpoint P.R.O. rather than fooling with any sort of flip up sight. Just personal preference more than anything else. I just like the look of the handle better than the flip up types, especially since I have a 20" barrel and a fixed A2 type stock.

Quote:
ANy thoughts on this front MOE vertical grip?..considering i'm going with the MOE front handguard

The one AR I've shot that had one installed felt pretty good. It's as solid as any rail mount grip I've played with.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:00 AM
SEMPER FI

So the one 16" I linked is the Flat Top, so I can mount a removable carry handle for now, then down the road opt for an EOTech and BUIS (flip up)? Sound right? Logical?

Probably better than buying it without optics, and only having the flip up sight? What do you think?
Old 02-14-2012, 10:11 AM
Hiker

Quote:
So the one 16" I linked is the Flat Top, so I can mount a removable carry handle for now, then down the road opt for an EOTech and BUIS (flip up)? Sound right? Logical?
Correct.

Quote:
Probably better than buying it without optics, and only having the flip up sight? What do you think?

Or is the flip up sight superior than the carry handle iron sight?
The handle is tougher than the flip up sights, but it's also a little heavier. I prefer it, because it's the standard old A2 style rear sight that I am used to from the military and it just feels more sturdy with no swivel to work loose. Having the handle to grab onto when moving it around at the range is nice too. Nothing wrong with a flip up if that's the route you decide to go. Again personal preference more than anything else.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:20 AM
SEMPER FI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyVet View Post
Correct.

The handle is tougher than the flip up sights, but it's also a little heavier. I prefer it, because it's the standard old A2 style rear sight that I am used to from the military and it just feels more sturdy with no swivel to work loose. Having the handle to grab onto when moving it around at the range is nice too. Nothing wrong with a flip up if that's the route you decide to go. Again personal preference more than anything else.
Awesome, thanks for answering my questions to give me more clarification. So yah that sounds like what I would like also (Carry Handle) i've used to my Marine Corps M4 so the carry handle is all I really know. So i think I will go with that for now, then down the road add an EOTech and a BUIS.

Cool so Carry Handle it is then! Thanks!
Old 02-14-2012, 10:40 AM
Hiker

Quote:
Awesome, thanks for answering my questions to give me more clarification. So yah that sounds like what I would like also (Carry Handle) i've used to my Marine Corps M4 so the carry handle is all I really know. So i think I will go with that for now, then down the road add an EOTech and a BUIS.

Cool so Carry Handle it is then! Thanks!
No problem! Hope you enjoy your new rifle.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:46 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,886 Times in 2,439 Posts

Quote:

Threaded 1/2x28
Old 02-14-2012, 11:22 AM
SEMPER FI

And these RAILS?

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...ymer-rail.html

DO these go together? Would you suggest adding them?
Old 02-14-2012, 02:31 PM
SEMPER FI

Just talked to my nearest local gun range who is an FFL.

They charge $50.00 to do the Lower FFL transfer. Is this around the normal price?
Old 02-14-2012, 07:46 PM
Have gun,will travel

Thanked 7,363 Times in 2,817 Posts

Quote:
Just talked to my nearest local gun range who is an FFL.

They charge $50.00 to do the Lower FFL transfer. Is this around the normal price?
NO!!! $50 is WAY too much! I pay around $20. Use this link to find a dealer and what they charge for a transfer:

http://www.gunbroker.com/FFL/DealerNetwork.aspx
The Following User Says Thank You to *Paladin* For This Useful Post: