Very Low Cost SHTF BOL's for Europeans - Page 63 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ancient Foragers before their SHTF from Europeans Zorba Edible & Non-Edible Plants 2 10-19-2013 03:10 PM
Why are Europeans white? Prepping Controversial News and Alternative Politics 24 06-06-2013 03:57 PM
the cost of liveing and what are your ideas for cost cutting tips hank2222 Financial Forum 57 03-22-2011 02:39 PM
Why follow the Europeans? JiggyNye Political News and Discussion 2 05-24-2010 10:05 AM
(SHTF Meal Planning) Description/Cost per Meal/Calorie Requirements..your thoughts OhioMan Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 5 11-14-2009 09:01 AM
ATTENTION Europeans! BackyardRambo General Discussion 16 05-06-2009 05:36 PM
The Cost of the SHTF Black Horse General Discussion 3 07-21-2008 12:17 AM

Old 12-22-2017, 08:53 PM
Hunter

Thanked 4,590 Times in 1,293 Posts

Advertise Here

Saw the doggie pictures!! How's Hungary??? I have a feeling you made a good choice on Hungary!
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Daisy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2017, 09:27 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 152,752 Times in 44,507 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Hi Daisy! I'm glad to see you back. Been missin' you and your updates on things.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2017, 03:32 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,961 Times in 949 Posts

Daisy, Things seem to be in full Christmas mode here in Hungary. Yesterday, I went to a Tescos in Kaposvar and the place was a mad house jam packed full of people. I usually avoid places like that but I needed a couple items that I would not likely find elsewhere. I have met a couple of younger people that speak English and have been able to navigate the language barrier a couple times.

The people seem very nice and I too think I made a good choice also. Time will tell.

I will be submitting my residency paperwork in earlly January, hopefully I get approved quickly so I don't have to leave for 90 days at the end of late February due to a EU rule.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to three_dogs For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2017, 05:23 AM
Hunter

3dogs, I am keeping my fingers crossed for speedy approval also for you! And really happy that it seems you are settling in and that it's all good! Hoping Doggies are good too?
Old 12-23-2017, 05:25 AM
Hunter

Mike you too happy Happy Christmas. Will post a bit more soon. It's winter. Hibernating days till end of February :D
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daisy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2017, 06:46 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,146 Times in 1,655 Posts

Great thread people. Need to go over it well but I'm very interested in learning about eastern EU countries. Lots of neat options for dirt cheap prices. Would be nice to have a little place over there.
FerFAL
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FerFAL For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2017, 10:47 AM
Homesteader

Thanked 5,906 Times in 2,645 Posts

Daisy's back!! Welcome home and Merry Christmas.

And three dogs, congratulations on making that big step. Most people never accomplish that beyond the talking and dreaming stage.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mtnairkin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2017, 10:52 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,938 Times in 2,513 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy View Post
Hi!

I am still here but haven't been on the board for looong time. I am comfy cozy sitting by the rocket mass heater, little dog Buddy on the Bed, rex snoring by the door and one of my cats next to me.

All is good

Am excited about the garden for next year! the past two years I've had a lot of help from a friend doing all kinds of structural things (rocket mass heater, greenhouse, rabbit and chicken tractors, pens, side shed, and the beginnings of a wind generator), but didn't leave me much time for garden. This year told friend that main focus would be on the garden and food productions. I got some really unusual seeds that I'm hoping will do well.

Life here is as it normally is in the village.

I just saw some partial comments from another poster that appears to be from Bulgaria. Please don't be offended. I understand his point of view. Bulgaria and Russia share almost the same language and a lot of cultural similarities, so there is a natural affinity there. Also, as I may have mentioned before, many of the older people here remember the days of communism fondly. Yes Bulgaria joined the EU and people were hoping that things would get better here, but they didn't really. And people here are disillusioned with politicians making promises and then actually selling out to EU demands that are not good for the people. I'll give some examples in another post so you can kind of understand where they are comming from. I didn't read all of the posts because they were blanked out, so I'm not sure if anything truly offensive was said. If that's the case then I am truly sorry.

Meantime, It's "The slaughter of the Pigs" here (that's how they celebrate X-mas ) and am going to some British friends house to have a "proper christmas dinner"

I'm not doing any pictures at the moment cos this time is the bleakest most dismal time of year (except for January and February are even worst!!

as soon as I see something that looks remotely appealing, I'll take a shot and add it, ok?

In the meantime I'm wishing you all a really really nice Christmas!
welcome back and merry Christmas from your expat neighbors in Ukraine
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to богдан For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2017, 02:01 PM
The Mighty Pen

Thanked 10,760 Times in 632 Posts

I just finished reading the ENTIRE thread and I loved it. The story-telling feel of life in rural Bulgaria and getting to know Daisy and her neighbors was a lovely escape.

I'll confess that I had to look up Bulgaria because I wasn't sure where it was located or which countries surrounded it. It was interesting to read along as things happened in the world and see how none of it really touched their lives (Greek economy crisis, Ukraine/Crimea crisis, etc.).

The differences and similarities are fascinating. For example, I live in a mid-western USA village of 200, but it is not at all self-sufficient. My garden, fruit trees and chickens, which would be standard in Bulgaria, make me look like an eccentric here. And the cycling, Daisy, I love your bike too.

I'm curious, how do your neighbors pass the time in the winter? Is there a library available? Are the sheep and goats still taken out of the village during the cold months or are they fed hay?

I would love to hear more about your plans for your garden in the spring and all the dog antics. You transported me to a country I never even imagined and I am very grateful.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tpals For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2017, 02:39 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 152,752 Times in 44,507 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpals View Post
I just finished reading the ENTIRE thread and I loved it. The story-telling feel of life in rural Bulgaria and getting to know Daisy and her neighbors was a lovely escape.

I'll confess that I had to look up Bulgaria because I wasn't sure where it was located or which countries surrounded it. It was interesting to read along as things happened in the world and see how none of it really touched their lives (Greek economy crisis, Ukraine/Crimea crisis, etc.).

The differences and similarities are fascinating. For example, I live in a mid-western USA village of 200, but it is not at all self-sufficient. My garden, fruit trees and chickens, which would be standard in Bulgaria, make me look like an eccentric here. And the cycling, Daisy, I love your bike too.

I'm curious, how do your neighbors pass the time in the winter? Is there a library available? Are the sheep and goats still taken out of the village during the cold months or are they fed hay?

I would love to hear more about your plans for your garden in the spring and all the dog antics. You transported me to a country I never even imagined and I am very grateful.
I absolutely love this thread too. It's my favorite on the entire site.

For a while, I seriously considered moving there and wish I still could. I'd do so in a heartbeat.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2017, 06:19 PM
Hunter

This too is my favorite thread and I did seriously plan to move there until I was turned on to Hungary. My reason for choosing Hungary over Bulgaria boiled down to location. I wanted to be centrally located in Europe closer to the tourist areas in Germany, Austria and Italy to name a few. Bulgaria and Hungary and I am hearing Croatia, Slovenia, Czech and Slovak Republics are also good prospects for expats looking for a more affordable life. Bulgaria has the Black Sea for a big draw and Hungary has Lake Balaton (Largest freshwater lake in Europe). Both easily a few hours drive, so there are similarities. I hope to hear more from Daisy next year. I did start a thread on my Hungarian adventure and I thanked Daisy in it.

https://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=792457
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to three_dogs For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2017, 07:57 AM
Homesteader

This is a great thread but there are too many good ones to say it is THE favorite. One of my very favorites.

The general area of Europe mentioned in the last few posts has interested me for a few years. Mainly because of the inexpensive living available, the general rural simple life available and a lot of area with very good weather.

I doubt very much if I would choose to drop everything else and head for Europe but I wouldn't mind having a backup plan that includes it as an alternative. The biggest downside I can think of is what I would label as 'cold war countries' but not having been there I'm rather sure it is just part of the unknown that would make me hesitant.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtnairkin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2017, 07:41 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpals View Post

Hi! Thank you for enjoying the thread

Winter in the village is spent more indoors mostly, by the fire and people visiting each other. Men often go to one of the little cafe's and play cards or other games in time off. Women go to the village shop and socialize a little bit outside the shop and post office and also visit each other during the day, often with children. They will go and visit the older women, who love having the little kids around and ooh and ahh and play little games with them. they sit in the one warm room in the house and drink coffee and eat cookies, or maybe have soup or casserole that usually bubbling on the stove.

This month is the month of slaughtering the pigs and cows and that's always also kind of a social event. there will be a large number of men doing all the manly stuffs, and the women process some of the meat and make food for the whole party and then they drink rakia and listen to Bulgarian music that plays a bit on the loudish side.

January is a quiet month, where everyone gets a bit fidgety, especially towards the end of January it can get quite cold, and as I said, there's usually one warm room in the house and that's where everybody is, so it gets slightly tense occasionally.

Sheep, goats are still taken out everyday by the shepherd into surrounding fields, and cows also graze on the fields.

There is no library in the village and to be honest, villagers are not very bookish, but they are very sociable.

the garden will need it's own post - I got sooo much planned!
Old 12-28-2017, 07:47 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by three_dogs View Post
This too is my favorite thread and I did seriously plan to move there until I was turned on to Hungary. My reason for choosing Hungary over Bulgaria boiled down to location. I wanted to be centrally located in Europe closer to the tourist areas in Germany, Austria and Italy to name a few. Bulgaria and Hungary and I am hearing Croatia, Slovenia, Czech and Slovak Republics are also good prospects for expats looking for a more affordable life. Bulgaria has the Black Sea for a big draw and Hungary has Lake Balaton (Largest freshwater lake in Europe). Both easily a few hours drive, so there are similarities. I hope to hear more from Daisy next year. I did start a thread on my Hungarian adventure and I thanked Daisy in it.

https://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=792457
So glad you made it!!! just read your thread. I'm very very happy for you and your place looks wonderful, you did really well on the price as well
Old 12-28-2017, 07:59 PM
Survivor

Thanked 23,348 Times in 5,802 Posts

I would very much like to visit Bulgaria some day. I've seen a number of pictures and would like to experience it in person. We went to Serbia 4 years ago and we really enjoyed it. We did the math and found we could probably live quite comfortably there.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AZ_HighCountry For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2019, 05:02 PM
Hunter

Daisy, Any updates? Been a long time since you posted here...Hope your okay. Have tried to email you also and no response.
Old 10-16-2019, 05:41 PM
Homesteader

Wow, it's been almost 2 years and my thoughts were, "Daisy's back".

I would like to see an update too.
The Following User Says Thank You to mtnairkin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2019, 02:42 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnairkin View Post
Wow, it's been almost 2 years and my thoughts were, "Daisy's back".

I would like to see an update too.

Last time I heard from Daisy via email was back in March of 2019 and she has gone silent since then. Hopefully she will eventually respond.