Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I'm going into the woods if SHTF, and will live off the land. Chrysalis Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 325 08-11-2016 02:15 PM
Ever wonder about them people who wanna live in the woods? Carolina Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 31 03-06-2016 11:54 AM
I want to live in the woods forever. TracyLynn New Member Introduction 36 04-01-2015 12:53 AM
a four year old in the woods... Cool Hand Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 15 10-18-2013 09:25 PM
Live Biblically for a Year Apoc Tek Religious Discussion 15 02-14-2013 11:03 PM
Can you get your gun license if you live in the woods.. TwentyTwelve Firearms General Discussion 38 12-16-2012 10:15 AM
Looking to Live Off Grid 3 year plan questions RedBadger Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 16 06-28-2012 03:42 PM
How long could you live in the woods? Hick Industries Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 62 06-16-2012 03:06 AM
Banker can't live on $350K a year OldWolf General Discussion 61 03-14-2012 10:11 PM
Runner Finds 2-year-old Boy in Michigan Woods IdahoGard'ner General Discussion 13 11-10-2011 09:52 AM

Old 10-20-2016, 12:57 AM

Advertise Here

Promise I'm going back to read every post on this thread. For now just let me say I have survived in central america 150 miles from the nearest outhouse, much less running water, for 6 months at a time. Brand new to the survivalist community and wanting to learn a lot. But as far as bugs, sleeping on the ground, purifying water, etc. I don't think I'd have a problem.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to GroundZer0 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2016, 01:04 AM
See you in my Scope

Thanked 5,764 Times in 1,498 Posts

This is such an individual choice and success will be based on nothing more than your will to be there. Nothing more.
I've learned a lot in my life. The most important is this, "if it has been done, it can be done."

Peace.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 01-10-2017, 03:21 PM

I went almost 5 weeks in the woods. almost died!! Would be down to do it again now I know what I need to survive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2017, 12:30 AM
VIP Member

I'm new to this forum, but this thread reached out and grabbed me.

We live "out", and have for many years. Started with just the raw land. No running water (other than the creek that runs by), electricity or any abode other than a tent for three years. I miss it so much. We've built a structure, have running water and electricity now. It's kind of a burden. I spend far more time outside, in one of the gardens or with the chickens or whatever than I do indoors. Happy to be here, and hello to all. Always more to learn and share.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DawnT For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2017, 02:12 PM
Colorado Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baeten4 View Post
I have been searching and trying to find people with some knowledge for backpacking the country.

I have plenty of supplies that could be easily replenished but being charged to pitch a tent or to pick up and use dead branches for firewood seems alittle ridiculous. Yes i get don't cut down trees that are alive duh but come on it's dead and needs cleaned up anyway why charge someone for tidying up.

I would like to know of locations or good maps showing all of the free spots to pitch a tent and actually camp while I hike across this country. Any information would be highly appreciated.
Once you find your way to the west, you can stay on any National Forest Service ground or BLM land for 14 days, then you have to move someplace else. These lands are well depicted on local maps and there is a lot of it west of the Mississippi.
Old 04-03-2017, 10:56 PM

I want to do this.

Well, not for a year, and not alone, and not without a marginally good reason. I’m hoping to get on a Russian reality TV show that’ll send 30 people to spend 9 months on a 1000-hectare island on the River Ob, Tomsk Oblast, in the Siberian Taiga. Those of us who can handle the bears, the wolves, the -40 degree winter, each other, (and the mice and insects, which is what really scares me) and who don’t tap out or die by April of next year will get a total prize of 100,000,000 rubles (which ain't that much if you consider the 30-way split and the chunk that the IRS will take, but still worth doing methinks).

More information:
https://game2winter.ru
https://game2winter.ru/pravila
https://game2winter.ru/chad-bagwell
https://youtu.be/xvtwHIpNuFA

If anyone can offer advice for how a sunburned Alabama boy can come back from Gulag Country in one piece, I’d be very happy to hear it.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:28 PM

It takes a community of self reliant individuals. We have been training folks for thirty years how to do so competently. We notice a lot of "trustafarians" join for the romance and drop out once it;s time to split the first few cord of fire wood for Winter. Those that flourish aren't afraid of working daily for their sovereignty, shelter, water, fire, and food.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:17 PM
Target Shooter

One person can indeed live in the wilderness for a year. However, it is nothing but a romantic and stupid notion to even attempt surviving for a year in anything more hostile than a city park.

The problem with practicing survival is that the chance is always high in a true survival situation in that you can fail the task - you die. Notice that even well versed experts will only go out for a week even for a large payday. Every day you are in a survival situation increases the chance that you will fail. A romantic but stupid notion.

Living in the wilderness is not only possible, but quite common. Camping is also quite common. Hunting, trapping, or other extended length stays in the wilderness are also common. ALL of those involve a lot of gear.

Survival never (except to preppers) is about gear. You can amazingly survive in the wilderness without gear if you have the proper knowledge, possibly for a year if everything goes right. Without the necessary knowledge, you can't even survive WITH tons of gear for a year.

If your emphasis is upon what brand of knife you own, don't go out for overly extended periods of time in the wilderness. If your emphasis is what do I need now and where would it be located, then go out into the woods.

Go from survival to wilderness living as fast as humanly possible, or you will eventually be a statistic. Become an actual expert in primitive and advanced skills first or you will be a statistic. We will get to watch the movie they will make about your death, otherwise.

Not pretty, not tame advice, but true.

My two bits.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:48 PM
Swirl Herder

Thanked 7,010 Times in 2,105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldude000 View Post
One person can indeed live in the wilderness for a year. However, it is nothing but a romantic and stupid notion to even attempt surviving for a year in anything more hostile than a city park.

The problem with practicing survival is that the chance is always high in a true survival situation in that you can fail the task - you die. Notice that even well versed experts will only go out for a week even for a large payday. Every day you are in a survival situation increases the chance that you will fail. A romantic but stupid notion.

Living in the wilderness is not only possible, but quite common. Camping is also quite common. Hunting, trapping, or other extended length stays in the wilderness are also common. ALL of those involve a lot of gear.

Survival never (except to preppers) is about gear. You can amazingly survive in the wilderness without gear if you have the proper knowledge, possibly for a year if everything goes right. Without the necessary knowledge, you can't even survive WITH tons of gear for a year.

If your emphasis is upon what brand of knife you own, don't go out for overly extended periods of time in the wilderness. If your emphasis is what do I need now and where would it be located, then go out into the woods.

Go from survival to wilderness living as fast as humanly possible, or you will eventually be a statistic. Become an actual expert in primitive and advanced skills first or you will be a statistic. We will get to watch the movie they will make about your death, otherwise.

Not pretty, not tame advice, but true.

My two bits.
You talk about survivalism and prepping like they are mutually exclusive - when they are not.

There are plenty of people, including many on these boards who practice both.

Bushcraft skills are great, but as you state, relying upon those skills to shelter and feed yourself in the woods for a year involves considerable risks.

The best way to mitigate those risks is to take (or cache in advance) enough gear and food to ensure that any lean times or calorie deficit can be solved.

That would involve moving gear/supplies in several trips or perhaps by offroad vehicle - but relying upon skills alone is at best going to be very, very hard and at worst a death sentence.

Quote:
Survival never (except to preppers) is about gear.
Ok then - we will plonk you naked in the arctic and see how long your skills keep you alive.

Quote:
Without the necessary knowledge, you can't even survive WITH tons of gear for a year.
Wrong again. The military provides infantry soldiers with only very basic survival training - yet those same infantry soldiers could be dumped in the woods with enough mres, shelter, water, gear and they would survive just fine for as long as the supplies held out.

As I have stated quite a few times on these boards, the correct answer to questions that boil down to "do I need this or that" is almost always "both" and that applies to the question about skills and gear in a very real way.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hardcalibres For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2018, 09:41 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldude000 View Post

Go from survival to wilderness living as fast as humanly possible, or you will eventually be a statistic. Become an actual expert in primitive and advanced skills first or you will be a statistic.
I'm going with quality gear that I know I can depend on. I think you're right about learning primitive skills though.
Old 06-24-2018, 07:03 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcalibres View Post
You talk about survivalism and prepping like they are mutually exclusive - when they are not.

There are plenty of people, including many on these boards who practice both.

Bushcraft skills are great, but as you state, relying upon those skills to shelter and feed yourself in the woods for a year involves considerable risks.

The best way to mitigate those risks is to take (or cache in advance) enough gear and food to ensure that any lean times or calorie deficit can be solved.

That would involve moving gear/supplies in several trips or perhaps by offroad vehicle - but relying upon skills alone is at best going to be very, very hard and at worst a death sentence.

Ok then - we will plonk you naked in the arctic and see how long your skills keep you alive.

Wrong again. The military provides infantry soldiers with only very basic survival training - yet those same infantry soldiers could be dumped in the woods with enough mres, shelter, water, gear and they would survive just fine for as long as the supplies held out.

As I have stated quite a few times on these boards, the correct answer to questions that boil down to "do I need this or that" is almost always "both" and that applies to the question about skills and gear in a very real way.
You miss the point entirely.

"they would survive just fine for as long as the supplies held out"

Survival is just that -- survival. It is a state of existence in which your life is eminently and directly threatened. It involves procuring and securing from your environment the necessary basic necessities needed to sustain human life and a working knowledge of your environment. Nothing more, nothing less. Wilderness survival has many names, often colloquial, such as bushcraft, primitive skills, survival, wilderness survival, etc.

Those military boys you mention are not in a survival situation. They are either camping or engaging in a military exercise at that point. Give them enough time and it could well turn into a survival situation, after their supplies run out, but unless their life is endangered due to lack of air, heat, shelter, water, or food -- they are not in a wilderness survival situation. Drop them into some random spot on the Amazon river basin without the necessary survival knowledge and they would quickly find themselves in a genuine survival situation due despite their gear to the excessive heat combined with humidity and the multitudes of dangerous local wildlife, huge and tiny.

Concerning the knowledge and skills I mention, a person can live their entire life fairly comfortably, almost anywhere, with these basic things. Once they obtain all the basic necessities, they leave the state of survival and enter a different state, called wilderness living. At this state, you can live as long as circumstances or carelessness do not place you back into a survival state of existence.

The goal of survival is to get out of the state of survival, quickly.

As far as the arctic? That is plain silly. Any human dumped naked in the arctic would only have minutes or hours before hypothermia set in, depending upon time of year and exactly where, then death would follow unless they receive assistance.

From reading your post I gather that you do somewhat get the idea. You desire to live in a state of wilderness living, which is indeed the goal.

However, it doesn't require atv's or tons of supplies. These ARE nice to have, but are not a necessity. If that were true, mankind would not exist on the planet right now, since atv's and modern "camping" supplies have only existed for a very short period in human history. Mankind has spent most of it's existence on this planet engaging in what you would call primitive skills to do everyday tasks.
Old 06-24-2018, 07:45 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballenxj View Post
I'm going with quality gear that I know I can depend on. I think you're right about learning primitive skills though.
I use gear as well. I may have the knowledge, but it is a backup for those situations where circumstances throw a monkey wrench in my plans for wilderness living, lol. As far as I can tell we are on the same page.
Old 06-30-2018, 04:09 PM
Prepared

I just going to say this thread is curious reading - I am back from the woods after living in the woods (on leased land) for about 3 years. The toughest, most wonderful three years of my life. Sadly I have to get back to normal living as my wife was dianosed with a very serious illness and it was time to be close to doctors to make her treatment more bareable.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Distorted Humor For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2018, 06:48 AM
This is a great survival forum

LOL, agree.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:13 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,075 Times in 1,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmando View Post
mmm.. cant live in the city.... cant live in the mountains......cant live in the jungles...

geez wonder how our forefathers made then?

most people today would have to tuffen up a tad or two... it wouldnt be the older people that survive either.. it would be the younger ones who could adapt and were more flexible

Our forefathers did it by not being alone. They had communities and the resources of a community to assist them. Those that did go alone went with several pack animals loaded with provisions that they came back to the community periodically to restock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to JDBushcraft For This Useful Post: