Dumpster Diving Finds - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dumpster diving score paramilusmc General Discussion 26 09-04-2017 03:54 AM
Truly a Waste - Dumpster Diving Outlawed! Mic General Discussion 41 06-12-2013 08:08 PM
Dumpster Diving i Skandinavia Gullars Skandinaviske 22 11-07-2011 12:04 PM
Dumpster Diving FreeManWV Urban Survival 195 10-15-2011 01:06 PM
Dumpster Diving? Morethnrubies1 Ladies Section 52 09-01-2011 03:00 PM
Dumpster Diving Boonie Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 22 08-24-2011 10:38 PM
Dumpster Diving, Bin Diving, What Was Your Best Find? Strawbale Urban Survival 36 08-06-2011 12:23 PM
I just went dumpster diving tiecuando Urban Survival 25 03-22-2010 04:20 PM
Dumpster Diving in the News nhwoods Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 6 12-02-2009 04:42 PM
Went dumpster diving today dirtyape Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 20 08-19-2009 10:08 PM

Old 05-16-2011, 04:21 PM
Patient Zero of WWZ

Thanked 10,484 Times in 3,421 Posts

Advertise Here

Lost track of the things I've found in dumpsters over the years.

Every Thursday a big office building I used to live near threw out about a half a pick-up load of computer paper. I'd load up and sell it at the recycling center. About $40 a week. (In 1976)

Various pieces of furniture over the years. Not to mention some cool cable spools that became lawn tables.

A riding lawnmower that needed only a spark plug.

Best of all I lived near a University in Tulsa for several years. End of semester was gold mine time. I loaded up with furniture and textbooks, and various other disposed goods. Then when the next semester came around I'd have a big yard sale to sell it all to the next years students. The college book store bought most of the text books.

Hmmm. Maybe I need to hit a dumpster or two on the way home.
Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2011, 03:23 AM
Security Operations

From my point of view its great, reduce, reuse, recycle but ive seen a few newspaper articles of police arresting people over taking hard rubbish in my nation. Insane if you think about it. If someone no longer wants it and someone else has a use for it the i say all good take it and have at it cause you will make more of it that i will.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Young Prepper For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2011, 01:08 AM
Thinking outside the box

I used to do a major amount of dumpster diving in my day. The fist thing to figure out is what days the garbage truck comes so you don't have to visit the dumpster every day checking it. Apartment complexes are best near the end of the month when people are moving out. Industrial parks are good for a lot of parts, pieces and scrap metal. Copy machine places are good for a lot of small parts and pieces if you know where to sell the parts to. The best one I had was a place that manufactured high end medical research labratory equipment. They would get back used equipment back from universities when they got new stuff and pitch it. They would fill a 20 yard dumpster every two weeks with this stuff. Everything I scrounged would get broke down, seperated and resold as parts or scrap. Made a ton of money while it lasted. That place I made a point to visit it on a daily basis. If you get to know the guys at the back dock who throw the stuff away, they might give you a tip now and then on what's going to be thrown away next.

One thing I did learn was that it is not a crime to dumpster dive, laws have been passed to allow you to do it. However there are trespassing laws that could come back to bite you. Most buisnesses lease space which is governed by the physical building footprint and does not cover the parking lot. The parking lot is governed by the buildings owner not the leasee. So if they say they are going to call the cops because you are trespassing, let them and when they show up, tell them and they will give them the dumb a$$ look. Most buildings are run by a leasing company for their owner who is most likely out of state and doesn't have the time to come out and file trespassing charges against you. These days because people are so sue happy and worried about liability, the best thing is to get in and out as fast as possible without being seen. Be a dumpster Ninja.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2muchstuff For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2011, 02:41 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,567 Times in 718 Posts

hit up college towns (college apts) at the end of the year (May). There is SO much waste it is almost unbelievable.
The Following User Says Thank You to tankman1989 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2011, 10:15 AM
Recon

Apartment complexes have THE BEST dumpsters. I used to live in a higher class apartment and would find LOADS of items that I kept or took to a pawn shop. I found a Fender Guitar Amplifier. Expensive surround sound, tv's furniture. Behind grocery stores is PERFECT. They throw away stuff thats one day past expiration. We found over 100 packs of Lance crackers in perfect condition! Also drinks and other non perishable foods.

As they say, "One mans junk is another mans treasure" Good Thread!
Old 06-06-2011, 10:31 PM
Target Shooter

If you don't feeling like diving in a dumpster, try searching the free section of Craigslist for "curb". If you're in the city, lots of people list things that they put on the curb for anyone to come take away and many also post "curb alerts".

You have to be fast for the good stuff, but it's a quick and easy way to "shop" before spending time and gas.

For example, here's a CL search for "curb" for Denver "free stuff":
http://denver.craigslist.org/search/...inAsk=&maxAsk=
The Following User Says Thank You to Special K For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2011, 10:45 PM
www.sharpenedaxe.com

I work at a dump part time. Here are a few fun blog posts about the stuff I've found.

Dump gun

The Spoils of the Dump
The Following User Says Thank You to wheelgun For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2011, 03:43 AM
awake and aware

I'm reading an e-book that I got for free called "The Art and Science of Dumpster Diving". It is interesting.
The guy in the book claims to have scored so much food that during certain times of crisis people came to him for food because they were starving to death. He said he never had any shortage of food.

I don't know if I'd ever actually do it but it peaked my interest after finding a guy on private property in a dumpster seperating the aluminum trays & cans & cardboard & paper from the dumpster.

He was wearing clothes that I could tell he got outta the trash and rubber gloves.

He had stacks of newspapers in his car and several contractor bags filled with these items hanging out of his dirty car.

I memorized his plate & from that got his address & looked his house up. It was a very nice house and his car was in the picture on the county website.

Be careful if you take your car diving because with a little typing people can find where you hide your things...
Old 06-08-2011, 04:01 AM
Survivor

Thanked 10,188 Times in 4,166 Posts

In the Uk, you have to ask the owner of the dumpster/skip for permission but if Ok, can dive to your hearts content.

Its amazing what some people just dump everything in them. Iv got electric fans, a complete china service, lamps, tables, photocopying paper etc out of them.

I know of one person, whos relative died, and instead of calling in the local charity to take his household stuff, promptly broke it all into bits and put it out for the dustman. They also put anything small enough for said dustman to take away. Im sure they had a very good summer on it.

PS: One problem we have is with our food stores, they dump food but if you take if from their dumpster you can get arrested, fined and imprisoned. One poor lady saw them put in a load of packaged meat, took some and had a £2000 fine. Some stores are such tight wads.
The Following User Says Thank You to Purdy Bear For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2011, 05:37 AM

I've had loads of useful things from skips (dumpsters) in the UK over the years and partially renovated my flat using architectural salvage. I also went through a winter going in supermarket bins for food when I had no money and often ate organic bread, fruit, veggies and even crates of beer until they started pouring bleach over everything
Old 06-08-2011, 06:17 AM

Thanked 18,856 Times in 6,430 Posts

When I was a kid we lived near a Transfer Station/Recycling Place. I would walk over there everyday and see what turned up. I got about 20 Pair of Skis, a complete set of National Geagraphic Magazine, all the was back to the very first issue, 4 Encyclopedias, numerous other Books, a few Hustler and Playboy Mags, Feild and Stream, Guns and Ammo, a Recurve Bow.....
I had more stuff than I had room for. I built a Fort in the Woods using miscelanious Construction Debris I got from the Tranfer Station.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:46 PM

Default a bit uneasy about my find. :xeye:

Today, when I was taking out the garbage I found a beautiful perfect condition backpack filled with novels by the dumpster. I was hesitant because what if someone just set it down? I took it anyways, it didnt look like anyone was looking for it. Plus I need a backpack for school, and its a hassle shopping for one. Was this a good idea?
Old 07-28-2012, 10:46 PM

Default a bit uneasy about my find.

Today, when I was taking out the garbage I found a beautiful perfect condition backpack filled with novels by the dumpster. I was hesitant because what if someone just set it down? I took it anyways, it didnt look like anyone was looking for it. Plus I need a backpack for school, and its a hassle shopping for one. Was this a good idea?
Old 07-29-2012, 02:12 PM

If it's the trash..they obviously didn't want it...go for it!!!
Old 07-29-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiexannihilator View Post
Usally when I lived in apartments I would put nice things next to the dumpster for people to find if they could use them... whoever had the back pack probably didn't want to see the books in the trash, but didn't want to bother taking them to a charity.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:34 PM
watcher

Good friend of mine found a full size arcade game standing next to a dumpster.
Took it in his apartment plugged it in and it worked. Still has it.

Friends dad found 3 old relic long-arms.
Same guy probably accumulated and sold a dozen push mowers he's picked up.

I found 3 large rolls of vinyl mat. The heavy duty kind you use as floor covering.
My hallway has it now. It looked better than what my wife was wanting at
Lowes. Also a large roll of cheap grade thin carpet. Good for dog houses, or working on cars or such.
Stacks of window screens.
A lawn mower cart(needed tires), and a pull behind thatcher. A nice metal wheel barrow with some quick-crete left in it. Awkward to load but it came right out at home with a hammer.
Guess they thought it was ruined.

Many tricycles, wagons, bikes and other kiddie toys. Free stuff for kids is nice.

Old fridge. Thought I'd keep paint in it, but it worked. Still is, lol. Keep adult beverages in it now.

Working window A/C units.

I too have found tons of stuff.
Old 05-21-2017, 01:55 PM

My youngest once caused me to miss out on the coolest set of 1950's pink bathroom set (tub, sink & commode) all in perfect condition (and we were remodeling). They were sitting out on the street for trash dump and when I pulled up next to them my child (age 15) dove into the floorboards and refused to get out of the truck to help due to being mortally ashamed.

By the time my husband got in from work they were already gone. I still give the kid crap for that.

We use an antique sink I found in a ladies yard growing flowers.

I've lived in really nice neighborhoods & what wealthy (or so called wealthy) people throw away is appalling. I have no problem picking up good things and have gotten 2 nice antique wood doors, an antique picture in brass frame and many other items. I've seen MANY out grown toys such as plastic playhouses (the expensive ones) etc left out that I didn't grab because I didn't want or need them but someone always comes by & snags them. I can't imagine throwing things like that away, why not give them to someone??

I left home at 16 ended up divorced at 20 and raising a kid while putting myself through school. When I was so very poor I was too proud to dumpster dive and now consider my then self an idiot. Live and learn. I once paid 20 of my hard earned dollars on a couch that wasn't fit to be left on the curb. Those days are behind me thank God.

So my hint is to comb the better part of town the evening before trash day or before the town wide yearly throw anything away day the town where we work has. Another good place is near or, if you have reason to be on, a military base. Military people can only move/ship certain amounts of stuff and I've seen lots of nice things in their trash. Yard sales are also great in these areas, military particularly for baby things. I suppose you should check local laws, no one cares where I live but things may differ where you are.

Incidentally, a local Indian restaurant made the mistake of moving in on the day before our big city wide cleanup throw any item away and left a large stove out on the sidewalk, it was gone when they got back...no I didn't take it I read about this in the paper.
Old 05-21-2017, 02:01 PM

Re dumpsters I used to do all the art stuff for our Sunday School and used tons of heavy cardboard to make backgrounds, play houses etc. I'd go to any local store with huge delivery boxes and ask if I could peruse their dumpster and they always told me to help myself. This is in a town of about 25,000 so smaller.
Old 05-21-2017, 02:04 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 10,983 Times in 5,386 Posts

When people are young and starting out this is a great resource. As you grow up the goal is to be successful enough so that you no longer need to grub around in other people's trash.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:10 AM
Target Shooter

The few times i have looked most of the times found only trash and cans(i recycle cans) One time found those cement flower pots things got one the others were broken. One time driving someone put trash etc out and got a metal door,home made wood table(miter saw on it). Friend found a boat motor and a push mower on the sidewalk and got them and sold them on face book