Class III fire arms. - Page 13 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Master-at-Arms 2nd Class Mark Mayo shot and killed by civilian BJJ_Grappler General Discussion 17 03-29-2014 09:18 AM
how much sand is required to provide sufficent protection from small arms fire? cmo1037 General Discussion 37 02-20-2014 08:52 PM
What to use as a self-defense weapon if MOST fire-arms are illegal? Runtime Firearms General Discussion 96 02-09-2014 12:41 AM
Fire by Friction class Sunday Chicago Vanishing Nomad Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 2 12-05-2013 04:46 PM
Class III fire arms. DocYoung Military Weapons Forum 173 08-31-2013 09:06 PM
USS Farragut & Russia's Admiral Chabanenko Udaloy II class destroyer joint live fire oxi General Discussion 4 08-22-2012 11:26 AM
688 Class Submarine on fire in Portsmouth BobMacnamara General Discussion 28 07-23-2012 07:08 PM
new england fire arms single shot pistol prototype davis Rifle Forum 16 06-09-2010 11:18 AM
Free Friction Fire Class near Madison, WI make tracks Events, Connections and Get togethers 1 04-26-2009 09:16 AM

Old 11-24-2018, 12:15 AM
Always Loaded

Thanked 2,861 Times in 972 Posts

Advertise Here

Why is AP ammo listed? You can freely purchase and own any AP ammo in any caliber under 20mm. At least in the "free" states....
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2018, 04:58 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzy4200 View Post
Why is AP ammo listed? You can freely purchase and own any AP ammo in any caliber under 20mm. At least in the "free" states...….
its in the definition. not sure why 1 would really need AP ammo other than to say you have some
Old 09-21-2019, 12:10 AM
Always Loaded

You need a form 4 for AP ammo and Dragons Breath? Better get that one on the wire, there's a lot of unknown felons running around....Who writes this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2019, 07:37 AM
Always Loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by 273andme View Post
its in the definition. not sure why 1 would really need AP ammo other than to say you have some
There are reasons. This is a SHTF site. I suggest you give some 30/06 AP a try. It really is amazing stuff. Punches through engine blocks and 12" trees like butter.
Old 11-02-2019, 09:34 PM
Prepared

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzy4200 View Post
There are reasons. This is a SHTF site. I suggest you give some 30/06 AP a try. It really is amazing stuff. Punches through engine blocks and 12" trees like butter.
1st its not a SHTF site its a survival site. I have shot 30/06 AP and you are correct it will punch though a lot of things I wont disagree with that.

I want to survive not shoot whole in perfectly good engine blocks. If someone is driving they are not shooting at me. If someone is hiding behind a tree chances are they are not shooting at me this affords a window for E&E

Next no one ever has said "ohh I know that sound thats an AP round!" if someone is shooting at you you get the effe off the X. It doesn't matter if it AP ammo or not.

Next if you cant see it you cant shoot it. given the limited capacity of typical 30.06 rifles. I could take cover and allow you to burn they few rounds off wait for a reload and GTFO or name a well placed shot because ill have some time. a smaller less cumbersome rifle is faster on tgt and easier to maneuver with.

I can carry more ammo and more easily acquire more ammo of different calibers in SHTF because lets face it you can only carry but so much. And if you sit at home your dead anyway. Movement is life.

30.06 has its place but I certainly wouldnt pick it as a SHTF caliber or rifle. dead = dead doesnt matter the caliber.

Just to reiterate this is a survival site, meaning the survival of my self my family my group etc. Its not a I gotta kill everyone shoot through engine block site. so you shoot at me behind cover car tress what ever it may me maybe you get lucky. since you cant see your tgt in the 1st place your just guessing. Im perfectly OK hitting you in the bicep, knee cap shin bone face or left foot and taking you out of the fight so me my family my group etc can SURVIVE.

Im also OK saying hes reloading after his 5 rounds or so and using that opportunity to beat feet and take some time to plan the next engagement to be on my time and terms if i so choose.

Once that contact is broken you no longer have an advantage with your 30.06 AP. I may take it as a challenge and stalk your position be patient and scramble the eggs in your hen house with a .22. You see .22 bounces around inside you and makes things a little more interesting.

Its SURVIVAL and the best chance of survival IMO is being smart, not engaging unless absolutely necessary being willing to meet the man upstairs to protect me and my family by any means necessary. The idea is to make it another day.

I learned along time ago everything in life is 50/50 whether is is/isnt, will/wont, so you have a 50/50 change at getting a good shot through some cover with your A/P ammo guess what i have a 50/50 chance of shooting you in the face while you reload, or 50/50 chance finding a way to get out of dodge.

So to each their own.

and IF it was SHTF since that what this site is all about lol why the heck would i want to shoot an engine block to what may possibly be the only means of getting out there. why not wait get a good shot through the glass and get some traspo that i know works and can get me out of where i currently am? doesnt seem the the smarted idea to me.
Old 11-02-2019, 09:37 PM
Survivor

Thanked 58,888 Times in 19,100 Posts

Quote:
1st its not a SHTF site its a survival site. I have shot 30/06 AP and you are correct it will punch though a lot of things I wont disagree with that.

I want to survive not shoot whole in perfectly good engine blocks. If someone is driving they are not shooting at me. e.
Their passengers might be. I've shot quite a few people from moving vehicles.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2019, 11:59 PM
Prepared

This is true, but most people cant shoot from moving vehicles. Again 50/50 either they will get me or they wont. but if someone is shooting at me form a moving vehicle Im not going to attempt to stand there and take aim with a 30.06 and my AP ammo. I highly doubt a driver with passenger shooting would be deterred by someone standing taking aim with such a rifle.

Disabling said vehicle does nothing to either break contact or eliminate the threat the threat. In fact I would bet it will increase the threat because driver is probably armed but focused on driving . When he no longer has to focus on driving he can now focus on shooting, thus turning 1 threat into 2 or more if there are other passengers that werent shooting. The avg shooter is going to be more accurate stationary shooter on foot than in a moving vehicle as well. A better argument can be made for taking out driver and or passenger and you dont need a 30.06 with AP ammo to do that.

But guess what either you live or you die only 2 possible outcomes so again 50/50
Old 11-03-2019, 09:04 PM
Survivor

Thanked 58,888 Times in 19,100 Posts

Quote:
This is true, but most people cant shoot from moving vehicles. Again 50/50 either they will get me or they wont.

with irons perhaps.
With a red dot from a moving vehicle, at targets in a moving vehicle (in training) there was a higher ratio of hits.

but if someone is shooting at me form a moving vehicle Im not going to attempt to stand there and take aim with a 30.06 and my AP ammo. I highly doubt a driver with passenger shooting would be deterred by someone standing taking aim with such a rifle.
the point is disable their vehicle and drive away out of range I believe.

Disabling said vehicle does nothing to either break contact or eliminate the threat the threat.
ummm..... Yes it does. That's EXACTLY what it does!

In fact I would bet it will increase the threat because driver is probably armed but focused on driving . When he no longer has to focus on driving he can now focus on shooting, thus turning 1 threat into 2 or more if there are other passengers that werent shooting.

no you dont, you drive away.

The avg shooter is going to be more accurate stationary shooter on foot than in a moving vehicle as well.
you feel free to get your life on your enemy lacking in skill

A better argument can be made for taking out driver and or passenger and you dont need a 30.06 with AP ammo to do that.
grill is an easier target, and one hit eliminates all your threats vs needing disabling shots on 1, 2, 3, or 4 harder to hit targets who may or may not be wearing body armor.

But guess what either you live or you die only 2 possible outcomes so again 50/50
JMHO, but shaped by training and real world.