Firearm Instruction - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 10-22-2019, 11:46 PM

Default Firearm Instruction

Advertise Here

I bought my first handgun recently. I had hired a firearm instructor to help me learn this craft. Initially, if you have no no no experience, I imagine things can go wrong quickly and you can make all sorts of asnine decisions (or maybe thats just me).

He is a police sciences instructor at the local college that I met when I worked there. He talked about about FITP qualification, or maybe some other letters.

I did some general searching here, but really I do not think my instincts are to be trusted. We have a pretty comprehensive plan, and it sort of dictates everything.

But, if you guys are a pretty good bunch for this sort of thing. I am 48, and am learning firearms for the first time in my life because I think we will need them in the future.

Do you have any thoughts on how I should proceed? I imagine this ends with me owning a handgun and a rifle, but I am just following the instructions for now.

As you might or might not know, I am a liberal asshat. But, I have been so relieved to just sit back and shut up and learn from what I am going to call 'gun people'(no offense intended, but it is a social circle I have not moved in). The local guys at the gun shop have been amazing, and from what I can tell, super committed to their craft and ensuring people have the right information. I am glad they are serious.

This has been a cool experience. This forum was one of the primary factors in seeing that this tool is something I should be skilled at, like first aid or any number of skills.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to citizendino For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2019, 04:43 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,135 Times in 489 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizendino View Post
I bought my first handgun recently. I had hired a firearm instructor to help me learn this craft. Initially, if you have no no no experience, I imagine things can go wrong quickly and you can make all sorts of asnine decisions (or maybe thats just me).

He is a police sciences instructor at the local college that I met when I worked there. He talked about about FITP qualification, or maybe some other letters.

I did some general searching here, but really I do not think my instincts are to be trusted. We have a pretty comprehensive plan, and it sort of dictates everything.

But, if you guys are a pretty good bunch for this sort of thing. I am 48, and am learning firearms for the first time in my life because I think we will need them in the future.

Do you have any thoughts on how I should proceed? I imagine this ends with me owning a handgun and a rifle, but I am just following the instructions for now.

As you might or might not know, I am a liberal asshat. But, I have been so relieved to just sit back and shut up and learn from what I am going to call 'gun people'(no offense intended, but it is a social circle I have not moved in). The local guys at the gun shop have been amazing, and from what I can tell, super committed to their craft and ensuring people have the right information. I am glad they are serious.

This has been a cool experience. This forum was one of the primary factors in seeing that this tool is something I should be skilled at, like first aid or any number of skills.
First off don’t be a liberal ass hat. Learn to love freedom

But since you currently are a liberal don’t worry. The 2nd is for EVERYBODY. Even commies.

What kind of gun did you get ? What state are you in ? Do you live in a city , suburb or rural area ?

Are you married ? Kids ? Is the wife on board with training ?

Also do you have amazon prime? I only ask because there is a documentary about a couple getting their first guns.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cuteandfuzzybunnies For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2019, 10:31 AM
NRA Life 1971

Thanked 12,485 Times in 5,567 Posts

Most gun clubs offer NRA introductory firearm courses to members and non members.
If you know of a club or club member, most would usually be happy to assist.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to roseman For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2019, 11:05 AM
Hunter

Thanked 3,407 Times in 1,059 Posts

if you take your states concealed carry class you will know more than 99% of the people around you, and you will have the paper to prove it.

if you take your states hunter education class you will know more than 99% of the people around you, and you will have the paper to prove it. unless you live in New Mexico. here, you will know what 99% of your neighbors know.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Explainist For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2019, 11:17 AM
Priorities. Col. 3:1-4

Quote:

I took you off my ignore list after seeing this post quoted by Mr. Bunnies. It tells me you are a serious person rather than a political troll as I had thought previously. You actually remind me of a liberal co-worker, whom I really like even if we disagree all the time about politics. Sometimes he scores a point on me; usually I score more I do, however, agree with Mr. Bunnies: learn why we have a 2nd Amendment, and why liberal asshat policies that increase government reach come at a heavy price to freedom that historically has always ended in oppression. The intentions may sound good in some cases, but the real substance of the policies adds up to less liberty and more government (government=fallible, fickle humans with inherent human corruption fertilized and watered by power...why give them more power?). Anyway, off my soapbox since, while relevant, its not your post's point.

Yeah, gun shop guys are (usually) pretty cool. Some are arrogant know-it-alls, but not most.

It sounds to me like you've already made two smart moves: you bought a gun, and you're asking someone experienced to help you learn how to use it properly. Personally, my next step specifically related to your handgun would be to start participating in scenario-based competitive shooting, such as IDPA or IPSC. That's where I learned to shoot beyond just the basics. It gets you comfortable handling your pistol in more lifelike situations instead of just a sterile indoor range.

More important than hardware and skills, though, is mindset. Are you really prepared to shoot another person if they are a (legally defined) threat? Are you prepared to quickly make the correct judgments that will either save your life, kill you, or land you in jail? I'm not saying you aren't, but you need to think hard about it and talk to your instructor. Get to know the folks at IDPA/IPSC and talk to them, too (the serious, balanced ones...not the over-opinionated gun-nut hacks...they'll be there too).

Cuteandfuzzybunnies' questions are good ones, too. Mine above are in addition. Best wishes!
The Following User Says Thank You to Surviving Suburbia For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2019, 11:33 AM
Basket of deplorables

Thanked 2,478 Times in 665 Posts

Sorry, I do not choose to give aid to the enemy especially when they are on a fishing expedition.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2019, 11:52 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,196 Times in 1,679 Posts

Quote:

A good instructor is key and unfortunately there just arent many of them. Lots of egos foating around. Try looking up online a reputable school or instructor and go with that. A bad instructor is a waste of time and money.
DId you get a gun after all? I dont tinhk you mention what model.
Once you have a basic idea on how to safely use a gun you want ot join a club and start shooting with some regularity, usualy that means practical shooting sport of some kind.
Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to FerFAL For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2019, 09:41 PM

Yeah, I own my trolling. In the last couple of weeks my perspective has sort of rotated. I am still a liberal bleeding heart big government guy, but a lot of other things sort of bubbled up.

I live in Wisconsin. The gun I got is a Glock 17. Jesus, just the amount of handguns I put in my hand, it was like trying on a suit over and over and over again. I have not gotten to shoot it more than 10 times. I am working with something I think called an air rifle to learn body position for rifles.

I dig the gun though. It is at my instructors house now, since I have not bought a locked box or safe thingy to put it in.

I live alone. With a dog. No children.

I have amazon prime.

Like I said, I have a police science instructor working with me now. He has some certifications, and he is my friend and I trust him. I know he will tell me when he stops being the right guy for the job.

I am NOT prepared to shoot someone that I perceive to be a threat. That is not to say, that as I develop this set of skills and think through the supporting ideas, that I will not be someday. That being said, I sort of doubt I could hit a person I perceived as a threat.

Regarding IDPA and scenario based shooting. I think I am like a few months off from that. I get the sense that I am going to learn a lot about the gun itself. About the bullets, all of these things.

And training my body in these specific positions.

I really get the sense that he has me building a foundation of something before I shoot a gun. I am sort of accepting that this is going to be the way it goes.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to citizendino For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2019, 05:51 AM
Survivor

Thanked 12,901 Times in 4,200 Posts

Well, congrats on getting your first handgun (not so much for being a liberal asshat). Not sure why your friend/instructor has your handgun, but you don't need a safe (unless there's a legal restriction). Are you eventually planning on carrying concealed with a concealed license? Either way, invest in a good gun belt, a good holster, about a half-dozen magazines (and magazine pouch/holder); wear the pistol around your house, handle it (no rounds in a magazine or chambered). Practice shooting it, racking the slide, changing magazines, drawing, re-holstering, dressing around your holstered handgun, etc.

I will at least commend you on getting some quality instruction and putting the effort towards familiarization and proficiency with a defensive tool. Many buy a gun and toss it in the bed side drawer or closet and think they have that part of their preparations checked off. Using a firearm for competition, hunting, self-defense, or even just as a hobby requires dedication, discipline, and an investment of time. While firearms are a fun hobby, they are a dead-serious self-defensive tool. If you want to take it seriously (which you should), get basic instruction and continue to train with advanced instructors.

I'm not sure what FerFal is referencing on ego-driven, poor instructors all over. I've met dozens of quality instructors in several different states and never had a bad experience. It is incumbent upon you to do your research. Even if you find a competent instructor, they can be a little abrasive or you may just not feel comfortable with them; find another. If your friend can get you through the basics, get his recommendation on some quality classes that use scenario-driven training. If you love your personal freedoms, quality of life, group of friends, and even your idiotic liberal ideology(sarcasm inserted), than you have the right and I would even say the obligation to defend all of that with a firearm to include defending your own life from someone who would personally threaten you or attempt to do you harm.

Welcome to the 2A team, keep us updated.

ROCK6
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
I live in Wisconsin. The gun I got is a Glock 17. Jesus, just the amount of handguns I put in my hand, it was like trying on a suit over and over and over again. I have not gotten to shoot it more than 10 times. I am working with something I think called an air rifle to learn body position for rifles.

I dig the gun though. It is at my instructors house now, since I have not bought a locked box or safe thingy to put it in.

I have amazon prime.

Like I said, I have a police science instructor working with me now. He has some certifications, and he is my friend and I trust him. I know he will tell me when he stops being the right guy for the job.

I am NOT prepared to shoot someone that I perceive to be a threat. That is not to say, that as I develop this set of skills and think through the supporting ideas, that I will not be someday. That being said, I sort of doubt I could hit a person I perceived as a threat.

Regarding IDPA and scenario based shooting. I think I am like a few months off from that. I get the sense that I am going to learn a lot about the gun itself. About the bullets, all of these things.

And training my body in these specific positions.

I really get the sense that he has me building a foundation of something before I shoot a gun. I am sort of accepting that this is going to be the way it goes.
That's good that you tried a bunch and picked one you like. Personally, Glocks feel to me like I'm holding an L-shaped brick

Confidence and mindset will come with training and, as you say, thinking through the ideas that underpin self-defense, natural rights, choice and consequence, etc.

I'm glad you're willing to put off IDPA type shooting in order to spend a lot of time on basics. I think that's wise and will pay dividends later.

Regarding storage, this is just my opinion, but I think it's smart to have a lockbox or safe even though you live alone. Visitor safety, personal liability, etc.

Keep us updated! And let us know when you get the bug and become a gun guy It took me years from buying a handgun for home defense to get interested in more aspects of gun ownership, use, and mechanics. But now I find ballistics and other elements of firearm science just fascinating. But anyway, I digress...
Old 10-24-2019, 01:57 PM
Target Shooter

Most people in the gun community are willing to help first time shooters and buyers.
Regardless of race, color or creed, political party or whatever. There's always a few buttholes. But that comes with anything these days.

You should also watch some videos on gun safety and drill them into your head.

Regardless, My old lady has different political views than me but we look past that crap.
She owns guns as well. So it doesnt matter if you are a liberal, libertarian or believe in the flying spaghetti monster. You have a right to have a gun. And the responsibility of owning one.

Get as much training as possible. And remember to just have fun. If you enjoy it you'll probably buy more guns.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pinetreescent For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2019, 05:48 PM

-I think the idea of the gun being elsewhere is about him being a teacher and me being a student, and me learning from him. And it being focused. I think. Honestly, I think it is okay. We are doing a lot of pregun stuff. Like learning about how bullets work. And sight lines, and what my hands are supposed to be doing. Most of our time is with an air rifle now, which is about body position and training my eyes for a whole new activity. It really is seeing the world completely differently on a LOT of levels.

-In regards to a conceal, I assume so. I am pretty far off from that I imagine. On a bunch of levels, but in time it makes sense.

-In regards to SERIOUSNESS. Yeah, I am probably over serious. My father took his own life with a gun, and my friend Joe was murdered on my front porch right in front of me. So, I know I am not learning to crochet. So, **** like youtube videos are NOT going to be where I learn things. I might reinforce stuff with youtube, or get inspired, but EVERYTHING will go through a teacher and training. I do not like learning about fixing my car on youtube. I am old enough to remember when the collected knowledge of the world was not on ****ing youtube. Sorry.

- I was guided to the Glock, sort of blind taste test style. I probably held what seemed like 50 guns. We talked with the gun store guy for a full cup of coffee. About what a gun needs to be in your hand, what it needs to be when serviced, etc. I have this metaphor about the Ford F150 I use. When I was in my 20's and 30s I drove hand me down Isuzu Troopers from my dad. I loved them. But, at some point Isuzu stopped bringing non commercial vehicles to America, and stopped parts. So, everything cost 1500 bucks to fix. But, my mechanic told me that Ford F150's, while needing service, are never ever ever not going to have parts. Even vintage ones have complete parts catalogs. It is my understanding that the Glock is a little like that. Every where, lots of service possibilities. All of that. They took it apart in front of me, and it seemed pretty easy. I have no idea what I was looking at, but there did not seem to be much to it. Either way, it is good first gun. I do not honestly know what a gun is SUPPOSED to feel like in my hand, having shot ZERO hand guns. Either way, it was a good chunk of change, but I feel okay with it.

It is a lot of stuff in my head, and my heart, and my body to take on. But for me, I started to feel like the world is burning in a new way about 2 months ago, and it accelerated. Things like exit strategy, and all the other basics we talk about on here just got real.

As far as being a gun guy, my best friends old man is a GUN MFING GUY. To the point his ENTIRE basement walls are gun safes. He has several federal permits for the amount of guns, and the type of guns. It feels like there are a thousand guns at his house. It is strange. None of them feel too military-like, though he is a long time service member. Even joining the army after his 20 years or something in the Marines. He has some amazing looking rifles that I assume are like Rolex watches, just gorgeous.

That guy, one time when we were kids, his daughter (my friend) and I were talking about talk radio. And I was talking about Tom Leykis, who was a conservative talker back then. He heard us, walked in the room, and said, "You mean Tom SOCIALIST Leykis?" At the time it just freaked me out, but now it makes me laugh.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to citizendino For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2019, 06:15 PM

Oh, don't get me wrong. Your choice of Glock was a good one if you like it. Glocks have a top-tier reputation--one of the best. It MIGHT fail to fire if you put it through a car crusher.
Old 10-25-2019, 01:32 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCK6 View Post

I'm not sure what FerFal is referencing on ego-driven, poor instructors all over. I've met dozens of quality instructors in several different states and never had a bad experience. It is incumbent upon you to do your research. Even if you find a competent instructor, they can be a little abrasive or you may just not feel comfortable with them; find another. If your friend can get you through the basics, get his recommendation on some quality classes that use scenario-driven training. If you love your personal freedoms, quality of life, group of friends, and even your idiotic liberal ideology(sarcasm inserted), than you have the right and I would even say the obligation to defend all of that with a firearm to include defending your own life from someone who would personally threaten you or attempt to do you harm.

Welcome to the 2A team, keep us updated.

ROCK6
Man, lots of good instructors but plenty of bad ones as well. One NRA certified pistol instructor I suffered once didnt know how a Glock worked, believed it had an "internal hammer" and that the first trigger pull was longer than the ones that followed. There's one rather large "israeli style" school in NY state that teaches the real secret techniques used by the top elite super doper IDF unites... meaning carrying with an empty chamber for extra security and chambering a round after you draw.

I think there's plenty of good ones but the number of bad ones is also high and you have to check well before you invest your time adn money.
Old 10-25-2019, 07:33 PM
MortarMaggot

Thanked 3,138 Times in 1,195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surviving Suburbia View Post
It MIGHT fail to fire if you put it through a car crusher.
Source?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to billwilla For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2019, 09:10 PM
Survivor

Thanked 21,310 Times in 5,945 Posts

Well good luck on your quest Citizen , we just might make a Conservative out of you yet. LOL and S/FI! You said you live in Wisconsin , and like dogs , next get a shotgun and a Bird dog pup train it up and start Grouse Hunting.
Old 10-26-2019, 08:09 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,141 Times in 493 Posts

Quote:

I can see it now -

Bad guys kick in door... You scream 'WAIT - I got to get my gun out of the safe'.

They then have their way with you and your dog. End of story.
Old 10-27-2019, 12:24 AM

DG23...I get what you are saying. You are much further along your firearm journey than I am.
Old 10-27-2019, 05:07 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
I can see it now -

Bad guys kick in door... You scream 'WAIT - I got to get my gun out of the safe'.

They then have their way with you and your dog. End of story.
yeah that didnt make a lot of sense. Get a safe, for storing when you're not home, but you wont keep the gun locked in there all the time.
Old 10-27-2019, 07:17 AM
Crazy

Thanked 10,304 Times in 3,355 Posts

Holy hell, I just read most of what you wrote. I’m not sure enough of your stability to help you. You have to right to own them so I won’t stop you but if you honestly don’t trust yourself with your own gun I would probably go with those gut feelings.