Two Bits Garden Adventures - Page 49 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Weedinhoe's 2018-2019 Garden Weedinhoe Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 1306 Yesterday 05:43 PM
Complete List Living off the Grid Grifters Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 150 10-16-2018 09:56 PM
Starter Raised Bed Garden cajun tugster Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 26 10-23-2017 07:08 AM
NectarNook's 2017 Garden, zone 5a NectarNook Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 5 03-20-2017 07:33 AM
Mountain Valley Canned Garden Seeds (16 Varieties) Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 02-24-2017 09:45 AM

Old 10-21-2019, 06:36 PM
patriarch

Thanked 5,879 Times in 2,823 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by two bits View Post

Working around the yard , wood and metal shop, I get very filthy. Dirt, metal & rust, sawdust............I need one of those outside wash stands like grandpa used to have on the back porch. Anybody have one of those? A dishpan w/ soap shelf, and towel. I don't need it hooked to tap water. Just a pitcher of water, and I can toss the dirty water in the flowers.

I need a picture or a blueprint. I'm brain dead.
Guess what? My wife purchased a metal washstand for me. Woohoo, just what I wanted.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to two bits For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2019, 06:42 PM
patriarch

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to two bits For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2019, 06:48 PM
patriarch

We spent the weekend set up at the 4 rivers art & craft show. It was a beautiful weekend. We probably done the best than we've ever done. Wow, very satisfied.

http://4riversartsandcrafts.com/

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to two bits For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2019, 09:26 PM
patriarch

I put my small garden (16' x 16') to bed for the winter with about 2 cu yds of rabbit manure to cozy up with.
While I was rototilling the garden, I rotilled the rest of my lawn. For several days, I've been removing the sod, best patch of weeds in the area. If it weren't for weeds, I probably wouldn't have a lawn. Grass won't grow where I plant it, but is robust where I don't. What the heck.
My goal is to sow seed soon. The word is, grass is best sown in October. It doesn't have to compete with the weeds.
Old 10-22-2019, 11:42 PM
No One of Consequence

Thanked 3,246 Times in 1,120 Posts

Quote:
The word is, grass is best sown in October.
That's what I've always read, that lawns should be sown in the Autumn.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BrettTheOkie For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2019, 09:45 AM
patriarch

I got my grass seed sown yesterday. I put down #5 of Kentucky 31 fescue. Then a layer of straw. Enough water to wet the straw and wahla. I know the least about grasses. Too many to choose from. So, there I have it. Now what?

https://www.pennington.com/all-produ...31-tall-fescue
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to two bits For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2019, 08:04 PM
patriarch

Been beating iron for the last couple days. We decided to to do one more craft show this year. Its a local fundraiser for the high school academics. I'm making a few more knives, S hooks, fire strikers, & campfire/wood stove pokers.
I have been searching for a steel supplier.
None of the farm stores carry the square bar that I use. Hmmmmmm They are too expensive anyway. The local machine shop doesn't use small stuff.
There must be a thread for blacksmiths to convey their thoughts, wares, and advice, but I haven't found it yet.
Thank goodness for youtube how-to's and etsy for ideas.
Old 10-29-2019, 08:11 PM
patriarch

I had a gentleman want two knives made from railroad spikes. His story was, his grandfather was a railroad man, engineer. He picked up railroad spikes from work and had them in a bucket in the garage. Well, he has passed, and for a remembrance, he wanted couple spike made into knives for his boys. Well, they are done.

I had not beat on RR spikes, finding that it was great to forge with. They say knives aren't much good, but the more you make with RR spikes, the better you will get. Just good practice.
Old 10-31-2019, 08:07 AM
patriarch

Is Indiana located in the mid-west? Whew, are we getting some nasty weather!
Wind, rain, and now some cold in the forecast. Went from autumn to winter suddenly. Heck, we had some color, but the trees are still with foliage.
I'm thankful it isn't snow yet. I guess one should be happy, its good for the garlic and the new grass seed.
Old 11-04-2019, 07:44 PM
patriarch

After tossing the idea of a Facebook page for business purposes for several years, I have been convinced to open an account. We had many inquiries as to our facebook page at the craft show. Apologetically, we had to tell them we weren't on facebook. Ahhhhhhh
So, the learning curve begins. When it gets up and running, I will post the results.
Another piece of technology we plan to get is a card reader. We missed some huge sales due to not being able to accept plastic.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to two bits For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2019, 05:16 PM
patriarch

The weather has forced me inside to work at my work table. Upon cleaning it off from springs mess, I found a package of onion seed. Austrian Brown. Thanks Weedinhoe.
Is it too late to plant onion seed? Since I ruined my Stuttgarter seeds, this is my backup plan. Well, I followed this fellows advice on planting instructions.

I also found the container of Giant Cockscomb seed I had looked for all summer.
Old 11-08-2019, 12:33 PM
gardener & news junkie

Thanked 4,698 Times in 1,940 Posts

Quote:
Is it too late to plant onion seed? Since I ruined my Stuttgarter seeds, this is my backup plan. .
Wow, it will be interesting to see how they do. He's in Alabama and you're in Indiana. Big difference in winter climates for starting seeds outdoors and it's not October any more.

Personally, I'd rather start mine indoors where there's better control of the environment. It takes me about two months to have plantable sets in October. Have you seen any of his later videos where he says how long it took to get transplantable seedlings? Just curious.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Weedinhoe For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2019, 05:17 PM
patriarch

Speaking of weather, forecast for northern Alabama is maybe 22 degrees this next week. Much like our forecast.
He is making a cover to protect his seedlings. My seed are under a cold frame/glass.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to two bits For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2019, 06:36 PM
gardener & news junkie

Thanked 4,698 Times in 1,940 Posts

He said he was in northern Alabama. We've got that cold spell coming in Tuesday morning with mid 20's. I do the same as the video guy for my onion seedlings by opening up a few tomato cages made from fencing, setting them over the onion row to make a tunnel and putting row cover over it all. A temporary mini hoop house. It works well.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Weedinhoe For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 07:55 AM
patriarch

Its 11 degrees here presently with a crusty patch of snow on the ground. We know it will be gone in a few days. I'm glad I don't have much livestock to worry about anymore. Just a few rabbits.
When we were living on the homestead with a green house, dairy goats, rabbits, chickens, pig or two, & etc. it was tuff to keep it going. And working out on a job. Whew.
My wife says, its hard to take the country out of a girl. You really have to have it in your blood to maintain a farm/homestead. Not much difference, but size.
There are many types of farming, just a fancy way with words. LOL
Many people think its a god send, but let me tell U, its a test just to see if you can handle it.