Traveling to jungle in Asia - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Two Wheel Therapy Across Southeast Asia AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 02-02-2015 05:00 PM
Crazy Radar image from Asia FRBollyT Manmade and Natural Disasters 11 10-20-2013 11:24 AM
asia stocks hammered last night 97guns Financial Forum 7 06-13-2013 08:09 PM
Hello from Asia asian_prepper New Member Introduction 8 09-10-2012 12:10 PM
My Tropical BOL - Asia Watch Ryder Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 12 01-09-2012 11:48 AM
Asia and Eurozone Nomad1 Financial Forum 1 08-11-2011 10:56 AM
Hello from S/E Asia, Iraq and the USA James G New Member Introduction 16 03-09-2010 10:17 AM
Hi there, I am from South East Asia dtcepl New Member Introduction 21 11-14-2009 10:08 PM
SE Asia h1n1 situation Thedragon Manmade and Natural Disasters 5 08-27-2009 04:01 PM

Old 04-13-2016, 08:47 PM

Advertise Here

I would find a branch or a sapling to make a nice heavy walking stick the moment we got out on foot, if for nothing other than keeping animals at bay.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to greenAR For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2016, 06:35 AM

You are missing: Survival flashlight, survival knife(safety knife not weapon). This time in Asia is too hot you should consider about this too.
Old 04-14-2016, 07:52 AM

Sounds a bit dodgy, but if you say you can trust them.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:24 AM
Survivor

Thanked 9,326 Times in 3,542 Posts

Asia is pretty big, what country are you going to?
We went to India a few years ago and went to a travel doctor to get the proper vaccinations. We got Typhoid and Hepatitis since neither of us had those before,and I got a tetanus shot since mine was outdated. The Hepatitis takes half a year ( 2 shots half year apart) so you better start soon, unless you already had them. We also got Malaria pills , but I stopped taking them after a few days since there really wasn't any mosquitos, but if you are in the jungle you will need them, and a general antiobiotic (cipro?) that could knock out any bug we picked up ( but we didn't need it).
I took my water boiler which I used all the time to fill a water container we used for brushing teeth or making tea, but not sure you will have electricity anywhere? Definitely take a flashlight! Power goes out sometimes. I also took water treatment pills but we didn’t use them. I would take some hiking food packages, just in case food somewhere is questionable, or you get tired of the local food. I know as much as I love Indian food, after about a week and a half of it, I felt like eating spaggetti and meatballs and very much appreciated my Mountainhouse package. I would bring chocolate and a bottle of alcohol ( wrap it really well and put it in your suitcase), because most likely those things are not available and I personally think we did not get sick because we had a shot of bourbon after each questionable meal ( one place I looked in the kitchen, in a NICE restaurant, and there was some old women , with a dirty rag, doing the dishes in a bucket full of dirty water…lol, I had 2 shots after that meal) . You can probably buy a knife for self defense in some souvenir store when you arrive at the airport. Or just put one in your suitcase ( we did both and nobody said anything). Oh yeah, spray all of your clothes with Permethrin. That will keep most bugs including mosquitos away. For phone we just used our cell phone, I-phone and Verizon works pretty much everywhere we have ever been. Good luck! Are you going for business or fun?

Very important thing I almost forgot: take a electric converter and the proper plug for the country you are going to, or you won't be able to charge your phone or laptop or use anything else electrical!
Old 04-14-2016, 11:57 AM
Hiker

Default Traveling to jungle in Asia

unsanctioned medical mission to truly remote jungle? sounds like you are going to irian jaya, indonesian misruled western half of new guinea. very rugged place, about the worst in asia. easy to have lots go badly wrong quickly. pay close attention to your local contacts and take your brains with you in your hand baggage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-14-2016, 02:27 PM
Tactical Elf

Thanked 1,892 Times in 618 Posts

Good Luck an safe travels....

But my main question is this:
Why is there a post/question about traveling in the JUNGLE that is posted in the URBAN forum??
Just curious...

But i do concur with greenAR, a nice "walking" stick would prolly come in handy for more than just walking.
Old 04-15-2016, 02:00 AM
Survivor

Thanked 58,886 Times in 19,100 Posts

1. Don't go
2. Don't go
3. "Your safe, we will take care of you, don't bring ANYTING you could use to defend yourself." Oh HELL NO DONT GO!

Another water purifier (backup spairs for someone else when you split up)
Money and a 2nd passport (you can't a 2nd, its good for one year) and stick a copy in your shoe
(10) 1\10 oz gold coins. Some parts of the world respect that FAR MORE Than cash.

One oftose "emergency buttons you can get a signal anywhere in the world for"

And... A matchet in the jungle is a TOOL , not a weapon.
Anyone who tried to not let me have one saying its a weapon automatically makes themselves one of those people I WOULD NOT go into the jungle with, much LESS trust them blindly with my safety!!!!
(Not because they might want to harm me, but because they are an idiot)

DANGER WILL ROBINSON!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2019, 01:29 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 30,182 Times in 9,940 Posts

Rule of thumb is to wait until you get there and then purchase your knife/machete, etc. Locals typically hook you up with that...

Also, depending on where you go, if your team hasn't taken a class on how to deal with cobra, komodo dragon, or even elephants,... you may want to when you get there.

There is a reason why Asians wear sandals... bring a pair.

Multi-tool of some sort

Dry Sacks

Cheap netting

Solar charger for satellite phone

Sanitizing wipes (to clean up, wipe your butt, or wipe off)

First aid kit (small scrapes and cuts can kill if you're not used to fighting their bacteria and germs)
Old 10-02-2019, 11:23 AM
American fearmaker

Thanked 27,319 Times in 8,796 Posts

Two other things:

#1. Take a small tool kit with you. A hammer makes one hell of a defensive weapon when used like a hatchet. A screwdriver makes a great device to shove into a person when being attacked. Many weapons had their starts as tools if you check back as to how they began their original lives.

#2. Keep a logbook or diary of where you were, ate and what you did. Make 3 entries based on morning, noon and nighttime locations and events. Make sure to name, very specific names of villages and provinces as well to be able to backtrack for problem locations later on should something hit after you come back home. This information might help doctors if you have a delayed medical emergency.
The Following User Says Thank You to Herd Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2019, 02:11 PM
Curmudgeon

Thanked 3,000 Times in 894 Posts

Well, the OP was 3 years ago. Anyone hear if he lived through it?
The Following User Says Thank You to Jlrhiner For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2019, 04:21 PM
American fearmaker

Thanked 27,319 Times in 8,796 Posts

We know that this is an old thread but somebody else heading overseas might read it later on and pick up on some of new ideas to use in some fashion. We haven't heard yet if the OP has come back home yet or not. Some guys who go over there end up loving the area and people so they just stay there. Once you get used to the place, it's not hard to live there at all. He might not come back for another couple of years. I spent 19 months over there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Herd Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2019, 07:42 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 4,526 Times in 1,178 Posts

HMMM traveling the jungles of Asia...

It.. it... it brings something to mind... I am trying to recall if I did that before or was it just a long bad dream.....

I wouldn't never recommend it without at least a company sized group of close personal "friends".
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2019, 01:18 AM

Question Done That Stuff You Might Want to Know

Hi CajunRider

Did you survive this event? I was all the way through writing this before I realized how old this thread is! Ha ha! But I had so much fun reminiscing that I decided to leave it. Maybe it will help someone else.

You are getting great advice here! I spent two summers in Borneo jungles and one in Alaskan temperate rainforest and one in North Carolina/Georgia swamps. So if I can help you filter some of the great advice...

Shoes, yes, get great shoes, caveat, plan on losing or ruining them quicker than you might hope. So after you arrive & before you head into the jungle, just buy three pair of cheap tennis shoes at a local market. Your beloved Teva boots will come off with mud suck, or just disintegrate, doesn't matter how much money you spend, been there done that.

I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to take the recommended anti-malarial prophylactics before you go, during and EVEN after you return for 1 month!! (Been there done that too). And do not accept Mefloquine or Larium. So I took it (to cure malaria after I got back cause I quit taking my quinine) and for some reason thought it would be a great idea to drop a lotta $ on stocks that lost quite a bit of value the next day ??? (I survived) but when they say "It makes you crazy" They mean it! On the other side and not at all funny, one of my colleagues who took it during the trip planned his suicide and carried it out when he got home, so that's a real thing. Avoid this dangerous drug.

And as for the other type of prophylactic, yes take them, DO NOT engage in activities for which their use is advised, unless with someone from your group, or no that's a bad idea too. You're going there for a reason and getting laid probably isn't it, FOCUS.

Lots of recommendations about satellite GPS, could be extra weight and get stolen and no good to a thief without expensive subscription anyway; however, I don't know your kidnap potential. If kidnap potential is high, carry it on your body maybe make it appear to be something other than what it is. (BTW, I will trade mine for some night vision goggles/binoculars... anybody?)

Compass is a good idea if you have aerials/maps and orienteering skills, otherwise a handheld Garmin. Practice orienteering before you go.

Iodine, Imodium, Cipro, yes.

Weapons! ha ha, you'll probably have plenty of opportunities at the front of the line with a machete, even if someone else is supposed to be doing it. This is the weapon of choice in the jungle. It's hard to take a shot if you can't see what you're shooting at or who's shooting at you. Stay alert. Look. listen. Don't be cavalier, have a buddy plan, don't wander off even to relieve yourself. You'll **** everyone off if they have to go looking for you.

Yes, the multi-tool is still a good idea. Remember that you can cook ramen noodles in the bag over an open fire, just add water, put the bag on a stick and hold over the fire. (I'm tempted to post a photo to prove it... ah memories).

Remember that you can use your DEET (mosquito repellent that causes cancer and melts plastic) as fire starter on any wood no matter how wet, soggy and rotten it is. Matches are handy but have a flint starter. Locals will know how to do this with a stick rolled between their palms on tender, so watch and learn, in the meantime, Deet and flint.

Have several options for carrying water and I suggest the straw water filter that you can get at REI. I suggest the cheapest collapsible bottle like this
If you're carrying a pack a Camelbak is great but get those other little portable ones for when you aren't carrying a pack.
A hammock and knowing how to tie a clove hitch knot and a bowline will come in handy. A hammock will keep you off of habitat and inhabitants off of you. I recommend Emo with a bug net. Use your RAIN PONCHO for a rain tarp to save weight. Don't tie to a tree with a bunch of ants! Put Deet on your attachment to the tree to keep ants off.

Snacks, yeah, but don't eat them in front of anyone especially locals unless you offer some to everyone. Yes, the cultural suggestions others made are great. Be gracious, accept all offers of food. Offer your own.

That pretty much covers it. Minimize your clothing don't forget a jacket and a couple pairs of pants, one to wear and another to change into when they get wet. Yes, headlamp

Oh, fingernail clippers, and tweezers, maybe on your multi-tool. And camera. Since your phone will be unusable anyway, I suggest a little camera/video like this one

There you go, that pretty much covers it. I hope you have as much adventure with positive outcomes as I have had! Enjoy!
The Following User Says Thank You to happydeb For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2019, 01:54 AM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 13,349 Times in 4,315 Posts

This is an interesting thread to be necro'd right now as I'm going into a similar situation myself in three weeks.
Old 10-22-2019, 12:04 PM
Honyock

Been to Asia, islands and mainland, several times.

Some parts I would consider living there, others not so much.

Don't eat anything unless it came with original peeling or is well cooked and still hot.
Don't drink anything unless it is in sealed bottle and then carefully inspect the label.
Chairman Mao's Revenge is unpleasant at best and can be fatal.

Lots of scam artists who specialize in foreigners; street money changers, antiquities ......

A machete in the jungle, yes. A wooden staff, yes.

TAKE YOUR MALARIA MEDICINE. A long hard way to live or die.

Be careful of any bites, scratches or wounds, treat immediately. There are microbes in those jungles that don't mind our medicines.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:47 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,607 Times in 1,140 Posts

Related video:

Old 10-22-2019, 10:57 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,340 Times in 1,149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Randal View Post
Don't drink anything unless it is in sealed bottle and then carefully inspect the label.
In some Asian locations the water bottle seals are sold on the streets. Kids pick up the empty bottles, add tap water, seal the bottle, and sell it to foreigners.

Buy water bottles from stores or get them from your hotels, not on the street.
The Following User Says Thank You to rriley For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2019, 09:18 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,587 Times in 1,715 Posts

Guess I've been lucky~!
Lots of time in southeast Asia with no significant problems.
Old 10-29-2019, 07:57 AM
HMFIC

Thanked 1,797 Times in 658 Posts

OP hasn't logged on since 4/9/2016.......so don't hold your breath for an update.
Old 10-29-2019, 09:03 AM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 66,804 Times in 20,469 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoMirage View Post
OP hasn't logged on since 4/9/2016.......so don't hold your breath for an update.
https://www.survivalistboards.com/sh...&postcount=126

Sounds like he is a survivor of the Vietnam war and went back into a very dangerous area like Vietnam or Cambodia.

Hope he is OK. Some of our finest citizens came from Vietnam as they know how horrible things can get and the value of our constitution.