Emergency Pet Carry - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 10-19-2019, 01:34 AM

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Bear View Post
Today I didn't take the stroller on the walk and had to carry my elderly dog for a bit. It made me think of an emergency situation where one had a healthy dog and got a cut paw, sick etc., and needed to be carried.

I found this video for a Pack a Paw which looked good

Emergency Dog Rescue - Pack-A-Paw Rescue Harness Review - YouTube

I've also got a moby type wrap for the exact use

How to Tie a Doggie Wrap (or Baby Wrap) - YouTube

Cat in Moby Wrap - YouTube

A sling out of a shirt

How To Make A Dog Sling Out Of A Shirt - YouTube

Some American underground networks don't allow the dog on the floor so people have used bags
Wow this is just special.

What is the largest size of snack food you can get in these things?

Why not band together with other crazies and save the whole pack - and use the backpack for food rather than you being the animals next meal.

Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2019, 01:50 AM
Hunter

Thanked 4,378 Times in 1,356 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoTree View Post
Keep your pets at home and outside where they belong.

Unless you are blind and need a seeing eye dog you do not need a dog in a public place.

If you are insecure then get a security blanket not a pet.
Eh, to each his own. My dog works with me and is with me nearly everywhere I go. 99.5% of the time. And he lives in the house. It's not an insecurity issue. It's just how we roll.
If we have to bug out, he's coming with us.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ~Black.Dog~ For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2019, 08:20 AM
Survivor

Thanked 10,188 Times in 4,166 Posts

If you are here to make a joke, or be insulting, keep your comments to yourself. This whole board is based on respecting others, and some of us have actually survived SHTF multiple times.

DO NOT DISRESPECT ME or I will wipe the floor with you.

Keep this to subject, and serious. I don't find some peoples replies on here very helpful. I will close this ASAP if I find any more disrespect going on.

Thank you

PS one elderly couple local to me are spending thousands of pounds looking for a Yorkshire terrier that escaped from a veterinary. Not everyone is fit or able. DO NOT disrespect pet owners, DO NOT disrespect the disabled or ill, or you will have me to answer to.

Get with the bloody programme, you think it's funny to be in a flood, fire, war etc. Go laugh your self silly when you're in front of a firing squad.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Purdy Bear For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2019, 04:51 AM
Isaiah 41:10, Acts 5:29

Thanked 9,104 Times in 3,375 Posts

For a dog, a blanket with two people (one on each end) makes a good improvised stretcher. One person can carry it, but the dog ends up far less comfortable amd more scrunched up. It's good for both the people and the dog to practice. The blanket is easy to "close" and for a vet to "open" to work on the dog.

Small dog or cat, a pillow case is quick and easy.

Soft-sided carriers that flatten when not in use are OK, so long as the dog or cat doesn't claw or chew and escape.

Several backpacks to carry pets (past the trekking packs for dogs to carry) and rolling carriers on Chewy
https://www.chewy.com/s?query=backpa...submit-button=

Maybe you could carry a dog backpack on your front and your BOB on your back?

There are front packs (chest packs), too, for animals, or some that might be used for animals. Didn't see any on Chewy, though.

Emergencies are why I teach my dogs a word they understand to mean I will carry them. Good simply to cross an asphalt parking lot or street... better than burnt pads

If you go with a military or LE sling/harness like those used for rappelling, jumping, etc., make sure to adjust/fit it ahead of time, get you and the dog used to using it, and check the fit/straps/buckles/attachment hardware/webbing/padding periodically.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Old fart For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2019, 10:18 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,420 Times in 537 Posts

190 lb Mastiff carried off mountain by volunteers: https://nypost.com/video/massive-mas...hiking-injury/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Major Mjolnir For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2019, 08:03 PM
Survivor

Thanked 23,160 Times in 8,073 Posts

DG, I'd have to value your opinion for it to matter. And now I know to put you on block.

For me it has to be a hard sided carrier for the cats. The biggest is about 18 pounds and you can stack hard carriers. The soft carriers can be slung one over each shoulder, though, so I do have one of those for Baby Girl (one of my more petite cats).

I had to block the cat cage access because the little varmints have apparently dug a few holes out. They all came in when it rained so I closed the door. They are not happy about it but I don't want them getting hurt.

I do have one carrier open on the floor behind my computer chair and some of the cats like to loaf around in there. I noticed when I took Biscuit in last week he did not cry in the carrier until I put him in the cab (I went with him, of course). I was happy we both (me and the cat) had an easier time of it.

I also took something from Jackson Galaxy with the scent soakers. I have various towels all over the house, in the beds, in my chair, etc. Then if I have to take someone to a vet I can pick up "Their" towel and put it in the carrier with them. It worked pretty well with Biscuit last week.

Of course the vet did say to wash his towel as he had a bacterial infection But I have a stack of cheap towels so one goes in the wash), another comes off the stack and onto the bed or whatever.

It is working out for me. When I had to board Biscuit last month (he has to be watched when I am out of town, due to a medical condition) he was noticeably calmer when they spread his towel out in the kennel. I saw it myself.

So I would suggest all that (waves).
The Following User Says Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2019, 11:51 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 4,416 Times in 1,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_In_29 View Post
So in an emergency you will carry your dog but then what about your pack with supplies?

The cat thing was pretty funny. My brother's cat tried to kill my other brother when he visited him. Brother was sleeping on couch (apparently where the cat usually did) and woke up because he was literally being suffocated by the 15ish pound NYC house cat that had sat on his face.

Cat found out that with enough thrust it could fly.
A GOOD buddy of mine was in the Airborne. There was a dog handler in his unit that wanted to jump with his dog. WWII style. The guy had all the old WWII type harnesses made up from scratch and got all set up to do a jump. The dog was latched to his chest, and just laid there in the harness. The handler waddles to the door and out they go.
SO, prior to hitting the ground the handler pulls the release and the dog freefalls for about 20 feet or so then comes up sharp on the tether. That way the handler and dog don't hit each other on the landing.
So they land, dog just sits there waiting for the handler to drop his chute. the dog just sits there as the handler gets to him and starts to remove all the harness gear. Then he removed the muzzle. From there the description was hard to understand because my buddy was laughing so hard.
BUT
It sounds like the dog did NOT have the same joyful experience the handler did.. and expressed his EXTREME displeasure in a most definitive way. He said the guy looked like he was dropped into a grinder and torn to shreds before they got the dog under control.

As for a way to carry MY dog. Only with a forklift. 150lbs of Rotty is a very solid chunk of critter and nothing I am tossing over my shoulder.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2019, 12:42 AM

Thank you Purple Kitty!

I think cats are absolutely amazing and show an incredible amount of loyalty to their ... People. I once saw a cat put itself in between the lake and her owner when she was halleucinating due to a diabetic issue. She was trying to keep her human from dieing.

That being said... I am horribly allergic to cats. Can't sit next to people that have them so I can't go to a movie etc. unless I take a bucket of pills and eye drops.

They crap in my garden so I have to leave the soil for 18 months to get rid of the toxoplasmosis that they carry.

Toxoplasmosis finally has a cure! Yaaay! But in the past it has caused people to be misdiagnosed with dementia and problems with unborn children.

Cats are great in your own home. In the public not so much. They sould be kept as Purple Kitty does.

They are dangerous to the public health.
The Following User Says Thank You to Freja For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2019, 12:47 AM

BTW: I also have a roller/stroller for my dogs. I travel a lot and I take them with me whereever I go. My dogs are hypoallergenic but they frighten people so when we are in the public I put them in their roller and off we go!

They are some of the he most photographed dogs on the planet... People actually walk up to me and show me pics they took of my dogs in years past. WTF? I find it a bit odd but my dogs are pretty cool.
The Following User Says Thank You to Freja For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2019, 04:44 PM
Survivor

My blog readers like a lot of cat photos and video.

All of mine are rescues and have a sad backstory and spoiled rotten now.

The new ones (adopted about 4 months ago) are doing jailbreaks on the cat cage so I think I may need to get some chain link fence guys out to give me an estimate. If a big, vicious, dog can't get out of a chain link enclosure I am hoping the cats cannot as well. The livestock fencing just doesn't seem to cut it, had 2 jailbreaks I know of.

No, I don't want my cats running loose, getting on people's cars, crapping everywhere, that is not cool. I might let them loose if we lived on a big piece of property out in the country but not in a tight subdivision.

I do have some roaming toms, one of whom is the likely father of the kittens I adopted. They aren't mine but are clearly owned. You can tell a cat that is on their own vs. a pet.

My vet says she worries about my husband picking up a bug from the cats. That is not on my list of concerns.
The Following User Says Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2019, 08:42 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,141 Times in 493 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleKitty View Post
DG, I'd have to value your opinion for it to matter. And now I know to put you on block.

I consider it a GOOD thing when crazy people don't want to bother me. It means I am doing something right!

Now do us all a favor and go take your meds...
The Following User Says Thank You to DG23 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2019, 08:50 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freja View Post
That being said... I am horribly allergic to cats. Can't sit next to people that have them so I can't go to a movie etc. unless I take a bucket of pills and eye drops.

They crap in my garden so I have to leave the soil for 18 months to get rid of the toxoplasmosis that they carry.

Toxoplasmosis finally has a cure! Yaaay! But in the past it has caused people to be misdiagnosed with dementia and problems with unborn children.

Cats are great in your own home. In the public not so much. They sould be kept as Purple Kitty does.

They are dangerous to the public health.
If you read enough of her posts you will soon learn that she does not make a habit of keeping her junk confined to her own property. She is about the worst example of responsible animal ownership one can find...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DG23 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2019, 01:12 PM
Semper Fi

Thanked 9,941 Times in 3,609 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW GUY View Post
A GOOD buddy of mine was in the Airborne. There was a dog handler in his unit that wanted to jump with his dog. WWII style. The guy had all the old WWII type harnesses made up from scratch and got all set up to do a jump. The dog was latched to his chest, and just laid there in the harness. The handler waddles to the door and out they go.
SO, prior to hitting the ground the handler pulls the release and the dog freefalls for about 20 feet or so then comes up sharp on the tether. That way the handler and dog don't hit each other on the landing.
So they land, dog just sits there waiting for the handler to drop his chute. the dog just sits there as the handler gets to him and starts to remove all the harness gear. Then he removed the muzzle. From there the description was hard to understand because my buddy was laughing so hard.
BUT
It sounds like the dog did NOT have the same joyful experience the handler did.. and expressed his EXTREME displeasure in a most definitive way. He said the guy looked like he was dropped into a grinder and torn to shreds before they got the dog under control.

As for a way to carry MY dog. Only with a forklift. 150lbs of Rotty is a very solid chunk of critter and nothing I am tossing over my shoulder.
Just like people, you don't simply throw a dog out of an airplane, there is training involved. I am going to call BS on the story, since if a military trained dog attacked his handler like that it would be put down.

Last edited by Steve_In_29; 11-01-2019 at 02:00 PM.. Reason: punctuation
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2019, 01:13 PM
Semper Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleKitty View Post
My blog readers like a lot of cat photos and video.

All of mine are rescues and have a sad backstory and spoiled rotten now.

The new ones (adopted about 4 months ago) are doing jailbreaks on the cat cage so I think I may need to get some chain link fence guys out to give me an estimate. If a big, vicious, dog can't get out of a chain link enclosure I am hoping the cats cannot as well. The livestock fencing just doesn't seem to cut it, had 2 jailbreaks I know of.

No, I don't want my cats running loose, getting on people's cars, crapping everywhere, that is not cool. I might let them loose if we lived on a big piece of property out in the country but not in a tight subdivision.

I do have some roaming toms, one of whom is the likely father of the kittens I adopted. They aren't mine but are clearly owned. You can tell a cat that is on their own vs. a pet.

My vet says she worries about my husband picking up a bug from the cats. That is not on my list of concerns.
Cats WILL go through and over a chainlink fence like its not even there.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2019, 02:03 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 4,416 Times in 1,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_In_29 View Post
Just like people you don't simply throw a dog out of an airplane, there is training involved. I am going to call BS on the story, since if a military trained dog attacked his handler like that it would be put down.
I WASN'T there.
I was definitely NOT a person to jump from a perfectly good airplane.

Merely relating to a story told by a friend who said he was there when it happened.
The Following User Says Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2019, 07:42 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,526 Times in 1,337 Posts

I was considering a Doberman rescue and found some beautiful dogs but the application is is too much. I may have to look on Craig's list for a re-homing instead.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eddie_T For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2019, 11:54 PM
Isaiah 41:10, Acts 5:29

Thanked 9,104 Times in 3,375 Posts

Quote:
I WASN'T there.
Some military AC weren't *perfectly good*
Although military jumps were a lot more work than civilian, and they weren't as much fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
I was considering a Doberman rescue and found some beautiful dogs but the application is is too much. I may have to look on Craig's list for a re-homing instead.

Check findapet.com or the AKC Doberman Club
Also put your name on lists in your local shelters. Sometimes large dogs, especially *certain* breeds, are hard to find a home for, so you might get lucky
Check local breeders, too. Some, who are breeding for work or show will sell a puppy cheap if it isn't *good enough.* Most of these pups are perfectly good dogs, but aren't of the necessary quality to win shows or competitions, or perform as working dogs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Old fart For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2019, 07:49 PM
Semper Fi

Quote:
I WASN'T there.

Merely relating to a story told by a friend who said he was there when it happened.
I get that you were just relating a story. I was just giving my opinion of it based on my actual experience with jumping out of military aircraft.
Old 10-24-2019, 10:03 PM
Survivor

I'm going to second the shelter bit, Eddie. I know a friend got a purebred Siamese (with a few issues but she liked them "Good and weird") from a local shelter.

Well, crap, I thought the chain link would do it. I really want them to have their playpen without getting out but it's not looking good.
Old 10-24-2019, 10:31 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
Many places will do that to discourage people coming to get them purely for bad reasons (think along the lines of bait dogs and dog fighting). Looked at getting a rescue once locally and many places don't even want to talk to you about a dog like that if you are a male. Sorry, that dog is spoken for already. Let the wife call and ask about the same dog and suddenly it IS available...

Not uncommon to see really high fees or other hoops and hurdles with those places as they are trying their best to place the dog in the best / safest environment that they can.

20 bucks says that if you joined a local Doberman rescue club and they got to know you at the meetings and such - That adoption fee would drop substantially if those people liked you and thought you could provide a good home to one of their dogs.

Back when the wife and I were members of the local DP Club here the meetings were pretty laid back and friendly. The other members would usually bring the foster or rescue dogs they had with them to the meetings and you could get to meet them and interact with them. I remember one lady at one of those meetings crying about how her foster / rescue Doberman cost her a grand in dental work because it was chewing on rocks and had broken a tooth. Another guy talking about how his rescue cost him X because of 'fill in the blank' reason.

Rescue / Foster or whatever I can tell you one thing for sure - Those people loved the dogs they had in their care. Even when the dogs did bad stuff or had accidents and cost them little chunks here and there...

You might be able to join your local club, get to know them, and foster a Doberman in your home for no adoption fees (you would be helping THEM out) if you played your cards right.

Try before you buy sort of thing to see if that is a rabbit hole you wish to go down long term or not...
The Following User Says Thank You to DG23 For This Useful Post: