Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 10-22-2019, 06:16 PM
Typical White Devil

Thanked 1,706 Times in 509 Posts
Default My Taurus TX22 Review

Advertise Here

I recently purchased a Taurus TX22 with some amount of trepidation. Anyone who has spent time reading online reviews of Taurus products is likely to have come across a fair number of negatives. “I had a Taurus [Fill in the Blank] and it was a piece of [Fill in the Blank]” is a phrase often encountered.

As for myself, I have not had much experience with Taurus. At one time, I did own a Taurus Model 85 .38 Special. A few light primer strikes later, I soon sold it in the pursuit of another firearm. I didn't feel I could trust it after that. It didn't make me a hater, but not a fanboy either.

I took the TX22 to the range, not knowing what to expect. The price was very good, and the $50 mail-in rebate made it better. It comes standard with two, 16-round magazines, and a threaded barrel adaptor. If it was faulty in some fashion, I told myself I wouldn't be out much.

Silly me. The TX22, thus far, has exceeded all expectations. Is it unbecoming to say I “love” this gun?

To begin with, this is a really light gun. According to Taurus, it weighs 17.3 ounces unloaded. Furthermore, I enjoyed the ergonomics of this gun. It felt good in the hand. Handling it felt like second nature.

At the indoor range, I shot at a profile target from 7 yards. I was shooting a little left and high the first few magazines through it. With a small screwdriver I had brought along, I adjusted the rear sight and was soon hitting where I was aiming. The TX22 rear sight can be easily adjusted for height and windage.

I brought along these types of .22lr to test fire:
CCI Blazer
Remington Yellow Jacket
CCI Minimag
CCI Stinger
Federal Champion
Winchester Super X
American Eagle
CCI Velocitor
CCI Standard Velocity

With the exception of the American Eagles, each type fired perfectly. In that instance, I had a failure to eject the first three rounds, but then fired the remaining American Eagles without incident. I won't blame the gun for this.

I also fired 16 rounds of every type mixed together in one magazine (minus the American Eagles) and this too functioned flawlessly. In all, I shot 224 rounds.

Afterwards I inspected the gun. Everything seemed to be in good shape, although there were some small marks on the edge of the ejection port (shown in photo below). Not a big deal to me. This is a shooter, not a showcase gun.

Would I conceal carry the TX22 or use it as a home defense weapon? I have other options for those tasks at the moment, but for those who do not, or those who cannot shoot a higher caliber sidearm due to recoil or handling issues, the TX22 would not be a bad option. Sixteen rounds of Stinger or Velocitor in the face would likely have most would-be assailants/home invaders questioning their life choices, albeit briefly.

Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Ohiocopperhead For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2019, 06:58 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,031 Times in 1,223 Posts

I've been looking at buying a TX22 also. I've purchased 4 Taurus pistols over the years and never had an issue with any of them. I gave the PT22 to my son but still own the others. Thanks for the report.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to thess02 For This Useful Post: