Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The ANY SUBJECT Joke, Picture, Almost Anything, Thread! Ian Treloar Jokes, Humor & Music 4233 Today 12:00 AM
Raging River Bushcraft Haversack Junglas Reviews and questions 0 07-13-2018 05:43 AM
Canned Chili Taste-Off Final Round: And The Winner Is…….! The Shadow Food and water 12 09-30-2017 04:56 PM
County Judge in Ohio, Ambushed and Shot AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 08-21-2017 05:30 PM
Unbiblical Cop-outs: Don't Judge Me! Reality Begins Religious Discussion 4 10-31-2016 01:41 PM

Old 10-21-2019, 09:15 PM
Survivor

Thanked 10,882 Times in 4,418 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyper708 View Post
Unless it just angers them enough...
A 410 handgun is just a sales gimmick.
I tend to agree, especially if youre just shooting birdshot, and just generally shooting "at" the target.

Ive always considered these type guns to be "gimmicks", and more aimed at those who were looking to buy skill, instead of doing what's necessary to actually attain it.

Im not saying that with the right loads, and a lot of practice, you couldnt get good, and be effective with it, I just think there are other things that just make more sense to invest the time and effort in.

The whole feeling I get from them is, its the "its a shotgun, just point it in the general direction and fire" mentality many seem to have, and they think thats all thats necessary.

If you look closely at those strikes on steel when Jerry was shooting, no matter what youre shooting, .410, 45 Colt or ACP, you still need to be able to shoot, and quickly, and decisively, and make good, "precise" hits, that will quickly shut things down.

At more realistic, across the room distances, just like a shotgun, with the .410 loads, you dont get a massive "spread" and do have to be precise. Just look at his groups on the steel plate at 5 yards.

Regardless what you load them with, Im still seeing a 6 shot revolver, thats shooting fairly heavy loads, and that requires some skill and experience to pull off, especially if youre trying to shoot quickly and accurately.
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2019, 06:10 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,749 Times in 1,045 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWC View Post
For you all that think 410 is just for fun,I ask do you want hit with it at HD distance? The judge/gov is a good all purpose gun around the homestead. If expecting or looking for trouble yes, something else may be better.
Nobody "wants to be hit" with anything.
That's a silly question.

Quote:
The judge/gov is a good all purpose gun around the homestead.
No matter how many times you say that, it's still just a sales gimmick.

If you want a reliable "self defense" handgun, get something better.
If you want a 410 shotgun, buy a real shotgun.

No one would buy a dedicated 454 with 2" of freebore and expect it to be accurate.

"All purpose" often really means "good for nothing".
Old 10-22-2019, 10:26 AM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 34,691 Times in 9,729 Posts

I live on a homestead in the Ozarks mtns, with many copperhead and water moccassin snakes, but the Taurus Judge is not a good all purpose gun.

It is too damn heavy to carry with you all the time, and your all purpose gun, must be the gun you carry all the time.

Now lets talk about protection from dangerous animals. What dangerous animals are you concerned with?
I am raising livestock, and the first six months I lived here I saw coyotes, bobcats, a black bear, feral hogs, and a large black cat known as a panther.
Why would are you looking for a 454? It is a big game hunting cartridge, massively over powered for most threats, and it is extreemly hard to shoot well.

An all pupose gun must be chambered in a cartidge suited for your everyday needs, and you can shoot precisely.

But the most important flaw with this as an all purpose gun is like most revolvers, it does not allow you nount a weapons light.
I can not emphasis this strongly enough. Every one of the dangerous animals I listed in nocturnal and they mostly show up at night.

A good all purpose gun for a homestead must perform extreemly well at night. A 300 lumen (or more) streamlight is mandentory.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2019, 02:01 PM
Survivor

Thanked 17,696 Times in 7,408 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hick Industries View Post
I live on a homestead in the Ozarks mtns, with many copperhead and water moccassin snakes, but the Taurus Judge is not a good all purpose gun.

It is too damn heavy to carry with you all the time, and your all purpose gun, must be the gun you carry all the time.

Now lets talk about protection from dangerous animals. What dangerous animals are you concerned with?
I am raising livestock, and the first six months I lived here I saw coyotes, bobcats, a black bear, feral hogs, and a large black cat known as a panther.
Why would are you looking for a 454? It is a big game hunting cartridge, massively over powered for most threats, and it is extreemly hard to shoot well.

An all pupose gun must be chambered in a cartidge suited for your everyday needs, and you can shoot precisely.

But the most important flaw with this as an all purpose gun is like most revolvers, it does not allow you nount a weapons light.
I can not emphasis this strongly enough. Every one of the dangerous animals I listed in nocturnal and they mostly show up at night.

A good all purpose gun for a homestead must perform extreemly well at night. A 300 lumen (or more) streamlight is mandentory.
I use my governor as a bedside gun. It has a crimson trace so even quickly and half-asleep without aiming I can put a round on center mass coming through a doorway.

I agree with something larger than bird shot is necessary. But buckshot or just below will give me plenty of time for a well aimed .45 second round.

It is a bet heavy as a primary CWP gun. However it is not bad for a backpacking gun. Birdshot on a rattlesnake will do just fine.

I do not recommend it as a firs handgun buy or as a primary carry buy. I do recommend it if you have 4, 5, or more handguns as a functional addition.

People looking for one do-all, be-all handgun will always fail. Everything is about the odds. Cover the most odds and you still might find yourself in the exception.
Old 10-23-2019, 06:51 PM
Survivor

Thanked 10,882 Times in 4,418 Posts

Alright, Im gonna backpedal here a little bit.

I was in my local shop this afternoon, going in to look at a S&W 317 he had listed. When I got there, he also had a S&W Governor as well. Well, needless to say, they both came home with me.

I almost made it out the door with just the 317, but you know how it goes.

Took them both over to the range when I got home and tried them out, make sure they worked and all.

I actually found the Governor to be fun to shoot, and it shot well too. This gun is not heavy at all, and well ballanced, which was a surprise when I first had it in my hands. If feels as good in the hand as any of my other K/L/N frame guns. Its my understanding, its a K frame grip.

Not sure just what the Taurus versions shoot, but this will take 2.5" .410's, 45Colt, as well as 45ACP (on moon clips).

He didnt have any "pistol" .410 buckshot in the shop, so I ended up with a box of #4's. I had 45Colt and 45ACP at then house, so I just shot them.

Went "long to short" to see how things went function-wise. Shot 10 rounds of .410, and 50 rounds each of Colt and ACP. The 410's dont eject clean, and need to be pulled out. The 45's came right out as they should, as did the moon clips. I also shot a couple of cylinders full of 45Colt at the end, and that wasnt an issue after shooting the ACPs.

At 5 yards, two rounds of #4's looked like this....

At 10 yards, three cylinders full of 45Colt (DAO) looked lie this....

And at 10 yards again, three cylinders full of the 45ACP (DAO) looked like this (lowest group)....

At first blush, it looks like it likes the 45acps the best. Which is interesting, as thats the shortest round of the lot, and the one with the biggest "jump", to the barrel.

Fun gun to shoot, and it was a "soft" shooter with all types of ammo. I do plan on switching the grips to the Houge open back type. Im not a fan of S&W's rubber grips that cover the backstrap.

Sights are your typical S&W "fixed" sights. The front sight is a night sight with a dot, and the rear, a notch in the top of the frame. Quick and easy to pick up and get on target.

The DA trigger is what you would expect from S&W.

I still have the same feelings about the gun as I did before, especially as far as the .410 and revolver part of things go.

Im not seeing either, together or not, being a "first choice" gun. If I were to keep it for serious use, Id use the 45ACP in moon clips as a first choice, and the 45Colt, with speed loader backup.

I could see it being a special purpose gun, especially if you live and play in snake country, or even as a dangerous critter BUG when stoked with 45Colts.

I may have more second, third or more thoughts as I keep shooting it, but right now, I still see it as a niche type gun.
The Following User Says Thank You to AK103K For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2019, 03:52 PM
Prepared

I generally don't like these combo guns named after Gov positions (unless you deal with snakes) for all the reasons already mentioned. In short, because I don't see many dangerous snakes much and I wouldn't use a .410 as a defensive round if I had a choice.. and I do, so I choose to use something else. HOWEVER...

I just read an article yesterday about a guy who was being robbed by three teenagers and picked up his Taurus Judge to confront them. As they were running out of the house one of them pointed a gun at him. He fired the first shot - MISSED. He fired again and caught the intruder in the head ending the threat permanently.

https://denver.cbslocal.com/2011/02/...y-day-shooter/

It does not say what ammunition he was using in the gun at the time but I figured I'd share this since the topic is at hand. Do with it what you wish.
The Following User Says Thank You to SHTF MAN For This Useful Post: