Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 10-17-2019, 07:53 PM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 39,276 Times in 7,847 Posts
Default Help build a sub $100 backpack setup

Advertise Here

Christmas is coming up and I would like to gift the grandkids a backpack that would serve as a platform to build off of. The packs are a surplus 3 day assault pack. From there I plan on getting two canteens for each pack, and a single canteen cup for each.

So far:

Surplus 3 day Pack
Canteen X 2
Canteen pouch X 2
Canteen cup

What would be something good to add? The thing is, we should keep this to the bare basics. For example, maybe a rain poncho, lightweight backpacking stove... etc.

Let's be honest, the more money I spend on gear for the two grandkids the less money fro other people, such as my parents and brother.

Suggestions? Let's keep the list at at no more than say $25 more than I have already spent. Flashlights, fire starters, poncho, tarp... etc?
The Following User Says Thank You to kev For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2019, 08:20 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,426 Times in 631 Posts

H.D. plastic bags (2).
B.S.A. spark stick, <$5.00
1 candle, 1 mini bic
$1.00 1st aid kit from Walmart travel section.
travel soap & toothbrush
1cn dintymor stew, when empty it can be used as a cookpot.
20-50ft of at least 200lb test nylon line/rope.
needle 1 spool of H.D. upolstery thread.
fish hooks, split shot.
Spoon from thrift store, some foil.
One bottle of iodine tabs in with the 1st.aid kit.
Together this should be less than $25.00
Ditch the 2 canteen idea, use 1canteen and 2 1ltr
water bottles. When needed empty one into canteen
and either save or ditch that bottle and still have one
clean good spare.
Of you can afford it, stash a $5.00 bill, a couple $1's
and 4 quarter's in the bag.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stinky For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2019, 09:20 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 4,551 Times in 1,184 Posts

DON'T KNOW if applicable where they live, but those disposable hand and foot/toe warmers are fun and really cheap if bought in bulk.

AMAZON has them
HeatMax Hot Hands 2 Handwarmer (40 Pairs)
Price: $23.99
https://www.amazon.com/HotHands-Hand...1361540&sr=8-4
The Following User Says Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2019, 09:17 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,288 Times in 499 Posts

How about a folding esbit-style stove? You can find knockoffs on eBay for a few dollar a piece, and put a ferro rod, striker and some inexpensive tinder inside each one. I'd also recommend including some aluminum foil, since it can be used as a windbreak on the store.

Another idea would be a 3-wick survival candle and some glow sticks.
The Following User Says Thank You to johnmcd For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 12:07 PM
Perspective provider.

Thanked 5,719 Times in 2,594 Posts

I'd include the mentioned above esbit stove, and make an alcohol stove to go in it. you can use the esbit as a stand, and the stove fits in it. if needed you can have the spare esbit cubes, and use it like that, for emergencies. Great setup which has served me well.
The Following User Says Thank You to IC_Rafe For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 12:48 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,426 Times in 631 Posts

imo, leave out the esbit stove and just take the tabs. If you want a stove then toss in a can of chicken chunks
Can eat those cold and then you have a stove.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stinky For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2019, 02:04 PM
Improvise Adapt Overcome!

Thanked 12,157 Times in 5,327 Posts

Canteens are good.

You should be able to scrounge the following for $100 if you shop well.

Shelter - Rain Poncho large enough to cover thier wrists, and go all the way down to thier mid calves. Also add two 5X7 backpacking tarps or a 55 gallon drum liner and one tarp.

Insulation - Cheap army wool blanket. Wool sox hat and gloves (outside of mechanical injuries due to falls, hypothermia is the #1 killer).

Water - You have the canteens, but I would add a sawyer filter system.

Tools - if age and maturity justifies, a small fixed blade (Mora)

Fire - Strikeforce firestarter and a small bag of cotton balls pre soaked in petroleum jelly.

Cordage - A roll of #36 Mason's line (a $4 to $6) item

Navigation - Basic plate compass.

Hygiene - Roll of TP, and pack sized tooth brush and tooth paste. Crystal deodorant, and a bar of soap, like DR. Bronners, or Grandma's Bug Bar, cut into single use sizes.

Cooking/Eating - basic walmart style cook pot and utensil set.

Medical - Basic Boo Boo kit with additional things for allergies and digestive issues.

Food - Some sort of long shelf life ready to eat food, and a cheap wallmart dry sack to carry it in.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vanishing Nomad For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2019, 04:41 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 24,259 Times in 8,905 Posts

Smallish magnifying glass, mirror and tweezers. Needle and dental floss for repairs.

A couple of single use Super glue tubes. Several sticks of hot glue.

SAS survival book. Water filter straw.

Modified ferro rod like this.

https://www.survivalistboards.com/pi...ictureid=83506
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2019, 12:15 AM
force multiplier

Kev

My 2 cents worth of suggestions. IMHO this is an opportunity to create quality time and experience with your grandchildren. The following four items should be included in their backpacks. The cost will be minimal and will reap priceless rewards. The first two are what I consider the most important outdoor skills, and the third will be just plain fun. The fourth will be a letter from you to your grandchildren.

Item #1

Large zip lock bag with a inexpensive mirrored compass, 3ft length 550 cord, a whistle and 13 beads(4 of one color and 9 of another). Label it "Weekend with Grandpa; using a compass"

The beads and 550 cord are for making Ranger pace beads; its a simple project and your grandkids will enjoy it. I made pace beads for my three boys using their cub scout beads and placed a whistle on the end.

This was the second Hellcat I made for my oldest son, we made the Ranger beads and I taught him and his brothers the basic principles of land navigation; including pace count.
He just commissioned in the US Army as a Lt. While training in ROTC one of his sergeants asked him how he became so proficient with pace and compass. His response was, "My Dad taught me , and I honed it in scouting" The Sergeant responded by saying "Your Father was a good man". Brought a tear to my eye.

I bought this compass nearly 15 years ago and paid around $10 for it. You can get similar for less than $10 and teach your grandkids to correctly sight, get back azimuth, signal with the mirror, and use the whistle to be found. What kid doesn't want to blow a whistle! Weekend #1 with grandpa!

Item #2

Large ziplock bag with a ferro rod; large bead; 2ft length of 550 cord and kindling of your choice. Labeled "weekend #2 with grandpa, making fire"

This weekend you will let the kids build their own ferro rods and you will teach them the art of "FIRE"! Ferro rods are so much cheaper than they used to be; you can buy a pack of eight for less than $10; a few beads, super glue, and 550 cord for a lanyard and presto.... homemade ferro rods. They will love it! I suggest this be done in the back yard with Mrs Kev supervising. Lord knows what will happen with THREE children playing with fire. Weekend #2 with Grandpa!

Item #3

Large ziplock bag with a small shampoo bottle(Walmart; fuel bottle for denatured alcohol); a can of chicken, a can of potted meat and a pack of Ramen noodles. Labeled "Weekend with grandpa, cooking a camp meal".

This weekend you will make a alcohol "cat can" stove, using the the two cans you provided. Let them eat the potted meat on crackers while making the stove; and save the chicken to add to the Ramen noodles when the stove is finished. Cat can stoves are simple and a great survival skill. Multiple examples can be found here http://zenstoves.net

I have had so much fun with my boys making stoves. Cat cans are the simplest and fit nicely with the equipment you have already acquired. You may also want to add a pot stand. The one pictured is made from stainless bicycle spokes and copper tubing, Zen Stoves has many other examples of wind screens/pot stands. Weekend #3 with Grandpa!

The last Item #4.......... will be a letter to both your grandchildren in each of their packs. You will explain they will spend three weekends making each of the items and the fourth weekend you will take them camping and use all the skills they have learned. Parents are invited! Weekend #4 with Grandpa!

All of the pics are mine(except the ferro rods) and I have made all of the items very easily; my boys and I have enjoyed the experience immensely.

I have cherished all the time I have spent teaching my son's the basic skills of camping, fishing, hunting, survival and shooting. I thought this might be appropriate for you as well.

All of this will take time and thought; making a navigation course, setting up a place for fire building and cooking; but in the end it's worth it. This is about building memories and legacy!

Good luck and best Regards

Rod

Last edited by Enforcer; 10-20-2019 at 03:56 AM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Enforcer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2019, 09:57 AM
Improvise Adapt Overcome!

Thanked 12,157 Times in 5,327 Posts

Thats Genius!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enforcer View Post
Kev

My 2 cents worth of suggestions. IMHO this is an opportunity to create quality time and experience with your grandchildren. The following four items should be included in their backpacks. The cost will be minimal and will reap priceless rewards. The first two are what I consider the most important outdoor skills, and the third will be just plain fun. The fourth will be a letter from you to your grandchildren.

Item #1

Large zip lock bag with a inexpensive mirrored compass, 3ft length 550 cord, a whistle and 13 beads(4 of one color and 9 of another). Label it "Weekend with Grandpa; using a compass"

The beads and 550 cord are for making Ranger pace beads; its a simple project and your grandkids will enjoy it. I made pace beads for my three boys using their cub scout beads and placed a whistle on the end.

This was the second Hellcat I made for my oldest son, we made the Ranger beads and I taught him and his brothers the basic principles of land navigation; including pace count.
He just commissioned in the US Army as a Lt. While training in ROTC one of his sergeants asked him how he became so proficient with pace and compass. His response was, "My Dad taught me , and I honed it in scouting" The Sergeant responded by saying "Your Father was a good man". Brought a tear to my eye.

I bought this compass nearly 15 years ago and paid around $10 for it. You can get similar for less than $10 and teach your grandkids to correctly sight, get back azimuth, signal with the mirror, and use the whistle to be found. What kid doesn't want to blow a whistle! Weekend #1 with grandpa!

Item #2

Large ziplock bag with a ferro rod; large bead; 2ft length of 550 cord and kindling of your choice. Labeled "weekend #2 with grandpa, making fire"

This weekend you will let the kids build their own ferro rods and you will teach them the art of "FIRE"! Ferro rods are so much cheaper than they used to be; you can buy a pack of eight for less than $10; a few beads, super glue, and 550 cord for a lanyard and presto.... homemade ferro rods. They will love it! I suggest this be done in the back yard with Mrs Kev supervising. Lord knows what will happen with THREE children playing with fire. Weekend #2 with Grandpa!

Item #3

Large ziplock bag with a small shampoo bottle(Walmart; fuel bottle for denatured alcohol); a can of chicken, a can of potted meat and a pack of Ramen noodles. Labeled "Weekend with grandpa, cooking a camp meal".

This weekend you will make a alcohol "cat can" stove, using the the two cans you provided. Let them eat the potted meat on crackers while making the stove; and save the chicken to add to the Ramen noodles when the stove is finished. Cat can stoves are simple and a great survival skill. Multiple examples can be found here http://zenstoves.net

I have had so much fun with my boys making stoves. Cat cans are the simplest and fit nicely with the equipment you have already acquired. You may also want to add a pot stand. The one pictured is made from stainless bicycle spokes and copper tubing, Zen Stoves has many other examples of wind screens/pot stands. Weekend #3 with Grandpa!

The last Item #4.......... will be a letter to both your grandchildren in each of their packs. You will explain they will spend three weekends making each of the items and the fourth weekend you will take them camping and use all the skills they have learned. Parents are invited! Weekend #4 with Grandpa!

All of the pics are mine(except the ferro rods) and I have made all of the items very easily; my boys and I have enjoyed the experience immensely.

I have cherished all the time I have spent teaching my son's the basic skills of camping, fishing, hunting, survival and shooting. I thought this might be appropriate for you as well.

All of this will take time and thought; making a navigation course, setting up a place for fire building and cooking; but in the end it's worth it. This is about building memories and legacy!

Good luck and best Regards

Rod
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vanishing Nomad For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2019, 11:28 AM
Survivor

Thanked 44,997 Times in 13,166 Posts

Kev, let me recommend that you get the Nalgene Oasis brand of canteens, they are about $8 on amazon

they are a direct upgrade to the old opaque green canteens in every way. they accept boiling water, they're bpa free, don't give your water that weird plastic taste that old canteens do. they are the same shape and size and fit in all the same covers, and inside the canteen cups just like the military ones. you can get them in all kinds of colors, all slightly see-through so you can see what you've got left. i like the dark green ones and the coyote ones.

i bought a couple last year and have used them quite a bit, i'm a big fan of them. i would never go back to the old ones.

https://www.amazon.com/Nalgene-34095.../dp/B0088LQ7M8
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to merlinfire For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2019, 10:46 AM

Time to hit the dollar store and Wally World. I get a lot of stuff from Dollar Tree (just gotta be picky on some things).

Favorites from the dollar store are:
Glow Sticks
Gloves
Matches
Lighters
Any kind of entertainment, like cards
Candles (tea lights, tall sticks, etc.)
Towels
Duct Tape
Bug Spray
Sewing Kit
Random medical stuff (bandages and antibiotic ointments are good)
Coffee Filters
Bleach (lower %)
Hygiene Items

Things to Avoid:
Dollar store batteries (never last nearly as long, in my experience)
Food (just...no thanks)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bodhran777 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2019, 01:56 PM
Isaiah 41:10, Acts 5:29

Thanked 9,142 Times in 3,382 Posts

Not a comprehensive list, but some suggested cheapies:

Cheapie Mg fire starter $2.49 @ Harbor Freight,sometimes less at the actual brick-and-mortar store (or check Amazon, etc.)
https://www.harborfreight.com/magnes...ter-66560.html

P38 or P51 Cheap on Amazon, especially if bought as multiples. Sometimes a free throw-in.

Cricket or S&w or similar pocket knife $5 or less @ AutoZone or O'Reilly's Or a multitool, but they're usually a little more.

A couple small bottles of GermX hand sanitizers from the sample/travel bins at Wal Mart $1 each (works as fuel/fire starter, as well, and less likely to spill than a bottle of alcohol).

Trim nail clipper (with hole and chain; put the P38/P51 on the chain, too). $0.69 to $1.29

Canteen cup stand/stove. $1.00 - $9.00, depending on where you can find it (surplus, usually). They nest in the canteen/canteen cup inside the cover, so it saves space And it's easy to use/less likely to tip over.

Magic knit stretch gloves (2 pr/$1.00) at Dollar Tree

Knit watch cap ($1.00 for the cheap not-so-warm-one at Dollar, or a little more for a warmer one elsewhere)

Pair socks $1 @ Dollar

Bic lighter

Emergency rain poncho $1.00 - $3.00, depending on where you buy it.

Bag of cotton balls $1.00, soak some in vaseline $1.00 and put in unbreakable/leak-proof jar or leak-proof metal tin. About $2 - $3 for each backpack, and you'll have leftover cotton balls and vaseline.

Cheapie travel bidet with bag-- some can be had as cheap as $5

Trowel $1 @ Dollar. Better if it has a hole and strap/cord/lanyard.

1 or 2 small biners $1 @ Dollar or Lowes/Home Depot. Use one to clip the trowel to the outside of the pack.

TP-- get pkg @ Dollar and split up, removing the centers and double-bagging in Zip locs you probably already have @ the house.

Put everything that's liquid/messy/potentially so in Zip loc(s) that you probably already have @ the house

Line back pack with a couple of plastic bags you probably already have @ the house. Add a couple more plastic bags you probably have @ the house. Make sure there are no holes in the bags. The heavier type grocery bags that the more expensive groceries give out would be nice for at least a couple of the bags. Good for carrying water, keeping stuff clean, segregating dirty stuff, segregating wet/damp stuff, etc., etc., etc. Put the hat, gloves, and socks in one of the bags to keep them dry.

Metal cutlery set, preferably with holes in the handles. Clip together with one of the biners.

Toothbrush in toothbrush holder $1 @ Wal Mart sample/travel bins or Dollar

Toothpaste $1 @ Wal Mart sample/travel bins ir Dollar

Bar of soap $1 @ Dollar, sometimes less elsewhere. Saw Safeguard @ Dollar recently.

White towel $1 @ Dollar (can be bleached)

White washcloth $1 @ Dollar (can be bleached)

Zip loc with dry clothes detergent you might already have @ your house

Calcium hypochlorite tabs (multiple uses)

Small bottle of dish detergent $1 @ Dollar -- split into a couple of unbreakable, leak-proof travel bottles (good selection @ Container Store)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Old fart For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2019, 04:57 PM
I was young 50 years ago

Thanked 32,919 Times in 12,404 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Firearms Post 
Total Awards: 1

You could get them a KaBar Kaster Hobo Fishing Rig like the one in this thread....
Add lures that suit your area, they are not included, the ones in the pic are what is in mine and just to show what will fit.
https://www.survivalistboards.com/sh...d.php?t=919168
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	57E35504-83D4-452A-B113-1AC9F1C291A1.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	293260   Click image for larger version

Name:	9EDC9F45-0045-4943-A14D-43F7D2949994.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	293262  

Read the rules. Follow the rules. Be nice to each other.
Post in the proper section. Stay on topic. Post useful accurate info.
Send me all your unsigned, not cashed in, winning lottery tickets
The Following User Says Thank You to jfountain2 For This Useful Post: