Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 09-26-2019, 03:18 PM
Prepared

Default Rubber boots?

Advertise Here

So the past few years it seems like the rubber clad neoprene boots are all the rage. They certainly are more popular than my Sorel pac boots. So I recently picked up a couple pairs on sale from Cabelas. One is a 5mm neoprene with overmolded rubber and no other insulation. The second pair is a 3.5mm neoprene and rubber combination with varying amounts of thinsulate from 200g in the heel up to 800gr in the toes. Still waiting for them to arrive (free shipping and free returns) so I'm not sure which, if either, I will keep. Hoping one will replace my pac boots for heavy winter wear such as ice fishing while still being easily walkable. Both are rated for the ubiquitous "-40 degrees" like almost every winter boot out there. Any thoughts on how much warmth 5mm neoprene actually offers? Will it make up for the lack of thinsulate?
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2019, 10:34 PM

Best winter boot. Ever made The black Mickey Mouse or the white bunny boots. I worked on the flight line in -30 windchill-70 never had cold feet
The Following User Says Thank You to Iaido For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2019, 11:17 AM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 4,460 Times in 1,163 Posts

I HAVE some of those neoprene boots I picked from Tractor Supply.

They are mission dedicated so I don't use them all the time.
They are for icy conditions.

towards spring, snow melts, water on top of frozen snow, freezes again.. HARD ice cap on everything. Take you life in your hands walking on it...

SO...

I took a bunch of hex head sheet metal screws and screwed them into the soles of the boots. So now they are STUDDED and allow for safe travel.
SO
I wear them when it is cold but they are pretty much for when I am moving around. Haven't really tested them for cold other than wearing them around in melt time.
but
when I did my feet weren't cold.
The Following User Says Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2019, 11:45 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 30,182 Times in 9,940 Posts

I love my waterproof, snow boots (similar to the ones below). The only problem, is that my feet sweat so bad in them, so they can only be used in very cold weather. They work so well, that no cold gets in... but no heat escapes either and tends to build up. If I were to do some serious hiking in them, I would have to stop every once in a while to take them off and let my feet cool down. Better that, than losing toes to frostbite, so I can deal with it.

Old 09-27-2019, 12:43 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,077 Times in 956 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck91 View Post
So the past few years it seems like the rubber clad neoprene boots are all the rage. They certainly are more popular than my Sorel pac boots. So I recently picked up a couple pairs on sale from Cabelas. One is a 5mm neoprene with overmolded rubber and no other insulation. The second pair is a 3.5mm neoprene and rubber combination with varying amounts of thinsulate from 200g in the heel up to 800gr in the toes. Still waiting for them to arrive (free shipping and free returns) so I'm not sure which, if either, I will keep. Hoping one will replace my pac boots for heavy winter wear such as ice fishing while still being easily walkable. Both are rated for the ubiquitous "-40 degrees" like almost every winter boot out there. Any thoughts on how much warmth 5mm neoprene actually offers? Will it make up for the lack of thinsulate?
Neoprene does OK insulation wise.

Wore neoprene over socks with wool socks, Vapor Barrier liner & silk liners, in Xinjiang & Tibet AR in October one year with cycling sandals. Chilly, but didn’t lose toes (thankfully). It was cold enough to freeze a Nalgene bottle in a tent & have it split...

Would wager neoprene with over molded rubber should be fine for cold weather footwear. Nowadays we do standard PAC type boots. Easier to swap out liners if needs be.
Old 10-01-2019, 04:33 PM
Hunter

I have a pair of tall Muck Boots and a pair of tall pack boots. For me, one does not replace the other. My feet get pretty sweaty in the Muck boots since the neoprene doesn't breathe. My Muck's also have their "standard" tread, which I find to be slippery in any wet or icy conditions.

My wife has a similar pair of Muck's to mine and hers have ripped through the side. Her use is minimal - taking the garbage out, walking to the garden, taking compost out...and they failed. Muck customer service pretty much sucked. Plus they are $100+ for a made in China boot; fortunately I got them on a Black Friday sale.

Once mine wear out or fail, I will not buy Muck again. Some standard rubber boots with thick socks would be just as good, in my opinion.

I have a nice pair of pack boots that are not as waterproof as the Muck's, but warmer and better traction.
The Following User Says Thank You to zuren For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2019, 12:09 AM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 24,154 Times in 8,883 Posts

+1 for Micky mouse boots, with extra liners so they can dry out while you have the other pair on.

Silk socks on your feet, sprinkle some cayenne on the top of your toes, then put the boot socks on over top the silk. Your feet will stay warm as long as you can keep water out. Black pepper will blister you.
Old 10-05-2019, 12:06 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,463 Times in 3,874 Posts

I got a pair of LaCrosse Alphaburly rubber non-insulated boots that I have good 7 years on. They hug my ankles allowing me to traverse hills without my feet slipping in the boots.

I use them for every time I go out back of the house. Would definitely buy another pair. For cold weather, I just wear good wool socks.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:42 PM
I LOVE THIS PLACE

what drobs said have had similar ones for 3 years and I love'em
The Following User Says Thank You to Srchdawg For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2019, 09:41 PM
Plays best, alone

Thanked 5,179 Times in 2,400 Posts

I'd just stick with your Sorrel's. I tried some Muck boots but they were to tight around the calf. Fit my feet just fine, but hurt like the ****ens around my calf. I think i will stay traditional when it comes to boots.

Who knew Charles ****ens would be banned?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Palma For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2019, 05:42 PM
In the woods

It was the best of times, it was the...

I have both rubber and leather waterproof boots. The rubber boots are great for duck hunting, stand hunting and kicking **** around the yard. They are maintenance free. My Danner Pronhorn insulated boots have held up for nearly 8 years of walking through the woods and hunting. I treat them a couple times a year with a bath of saddle soap and a brisk rubdown with some mink oil. No need for that with rubber boots. On the other hand I wouldn't carry a load with my rubber boots, they are not made for that.
Old 10-22-2019, 06:17 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaido View Post
Best winter boot. Ever made The black Mickey Mouse or the white bunny boots. I worked on the flight line in -30 windchill-70 never had cold feet
I've tried on both the white and black bunny boots. No question they a solution in extremely cold climates...however...they are ridiculously heavy.
The Following User Says Thank You to wiiawiwb For This Useful Post: