Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 10-16-2019, 06:34 PM

Advertise Here

I'm a cheapskate in the sense that I want to spend as little money as possible for something that'll still be durable. I found that the $30 Cold Steel Finn Wolf knife outperforms many $100+ knifes of similar design.

I bought 5 of them, one for my get home bag, one for the wife's get home back, one for daily carry, and two that sit in a drawer at home.

My daily carry Finn Wolf has dressed and skinned 3 deer and been through numerous camping & backpacking trips and I've yet to feel the need for a a larger or more expensive knife. It's not a huge-fixed blade knife, but it's more than adequate while being light and affordable.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Not PC For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2019, 02:44 AM
force multiplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ1701 View Post
Hi folks,

I was watching Rambo 1/2 before seeing the new movie, and I really liked the knife he was using in both movies. Both seemed to have a compass in the hilt. I was wondering where I could get a knife that looked like those that would actually be usable in an emergency or while camping. I saw some replicas on Amazon but I seriously doubt their usefulness, and the Jimmy Lile knife is over a thousand dollars, which is ridiculous. Or should I just get a Kabar knife?
I always tell my patients; "Never get your medical advice from a episode of Columbo". Same could be said here.

Your question is good; Kabar is okay; Ontario is better(I own both).

This is my EDC pack that I take in every hospital; and what I take on the road every where I go. My objective: whether in the mountains, country or city; make it back home alive. Not included in the pic is my glock 19; 3 liters of fluids; and a Remington Tac 14 w/ war belt of ammo in the door of my Dodge 3500 dually.

I have used every manner of knife, compass, and multitool over the last 30 years and have found nothing that compares to the utility and ruggedness of these three.

1. Ontario combat fighting knife
2. Leatherman original multitool
3. Cammenga lensatic compass

You will never find me far from these three items. My pack always has a liter of water; liter of coffee; and a liter of iced tea. As well as all the items I need for work and escape to home if need be.

You don't need to spend a fortune on survival tools; nor do you need what looks cool. Use what is utilitarian, works, and is the easiest on the pocket book. YMMV

Best regards

Rod

Last edited by Enforcer; 10-20-2019 at 03:16 AM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enforcer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2019, 07:11 AM
Survivor

Thanked 12,929 Times in 4,208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not PC View Post
I'm a cheapskate in the sense that I want to spend as little money as possible for something that'll still be durable. I found that the $30 Cold Steel Finn Wolf knife outperforms many $100+ knifes of similar design.

I bought 5 of them, one for my get home bag, one for the wife's get home back, one for daily carry, and two that sit in a drawer at home.

My daily carry Finn Wolf has dressed and skinned 3 deer and been through numerous camping & backpacking trips and I've yet to feel the need for a a larger or more expensive knife. It's not a huge-fixed blade knife, but it's more than adequate while being light and affordable.
Measuring performance is more about the skill of the user than the blade. I recall an old, wiry little retired Infantry 1SG I worked with who was simply a deer-killing machine. He would field dress a deer with a razor blade, gutting and disassembling it enough to fit into an old USGI duffle bag to carry out.

I own a few $300+custom knives, and other than design, they really don't offer anything more than a $30 dollar knife for 90% of normal knife-cutting tasks. I'll go back and point out the official Swedish Ranger School issued knife that they use for all their field and survival training, similarly priced at about $30:

And it's not a full-tang; a partial tang:

A $300 knife isn't necessarily better than a $30 knife, and most experienced knife-users can do just about everything with that $30 knife that the $300 knife can do. My opinion is that if you're paying more than $100 for "performance", you're getting fooled. Anything over $100 is just a little more polished, newest super knife-steel, design-preference, and brand-name...but you're not buying a better performing knife. What those Swedish Ranger's put their $30 Mora through, 99% of Busse owners will likely never duplicate the conditions or uses. Sure, a Busse and other custom knives are excellent knives, but they won't help you survive anymore than your skill-set or a $30 dollar Mora (or Cold Steel, etc.) field knife.

ROCK6
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2019, 08:35 AM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 55,868 Times in 19,399 Posts

LOL! Guy asks about a knife and you guys become windup toys climbing all over yourselves trying to push to the front.

He posts the question and 5 pages happen in 10 hours.

It's worse than AR vs AK threads.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following User Says Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2019, 10:38 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 23,008 Times in 7,107 Posts

I'm impressed with this particular $20 full tang fixed blade survival knife.
Durable, comfortable non-slip grip, lightweight & inexpensive.
Holds a razor edge for a long time (if not abused)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Drop-Point-...EAAOSwGdtck~hX

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Camillus-19...ss!89701!US!-1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Camillus-Kn...AAAOSw5f1dQ229
Old 10-20-2019, 11:14 AM
Perspective provider.

Thanked 5,720 Times in 2,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamZeke View Post
LOL! Guy asks about a knife and you guys become windup toys climbing all over yourselves trying to push to the front.

You mean 5 pages in a month. The thread was posted September 21st. We're October 20th.
10 hours after posting, he had 9 replies.
LOL!
Old 10-20-2019, 12:10 PM
Survivor

Quote:

It's a little too early IamZeke, lay off the sauce, roll over and go back to sleep

ROCK6
Old 10-20-2019, 03:49 PM
Survivor

Thanked 15,831 Times in 8,399 Posts

Quote:
LOL! Guy asks about a knife and you guys become windup toys climbing all over yourselves trying to push to the front. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.survivalistboards.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

Suprised there are still a few people who like discussing survival stuff?
Old 10-20-2019, 04:35 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 67,074 Times in 20,542 Posts

Wow, 8 bucks at Walmart.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camillus-...-Tool/52598286

"Nimble II Titanium Folding Knife. It includes a flashlight, thermometer, magnifying glass, signal mirror, compass, whistle and lanyard. The centerpiece is a 6.5" Camillus folding knife with a 2.75" blade made of titanium bonded stainless steel. It features an ergonomic handle"

Old 10-20-2019, 05:10 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,223 Times in 534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCK6 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not PC View Post

Measuring performance is more about the skill of the user than the blade. I recall an old, wiry little retired Infantry 1SG I worked with who was simply a deer-killing machine. He would field dress a deer with a razor blade, gutting and disassembling it enough to fit into an old USGI duffle bag to carry out.

I own a few $300+custom knives, and other than design, they really don't offer anything more than a $30 dollar knife for 90% of normal knife-cutting tasks. I'll go back and point out the official Swedish Ranger School issued knife that they use for all their field and survival training, similarly priced at about $30:

A $300 knife isn't necessarily better than a $30 knife, and most experienced knife-users can do just about everything with that $30 knife that the $300 knife can do. My opinion is that if you're paying more than $100 for "performance", you're getting fooled. Anything over $100 is just a little more polished, newest super knife-steel, design-preference, and brand-name...but you're not buying a better performing knife. What those Swedish Ranger's put their $30 Mora through, 99% of Busse owners will likely never duplicate the conditions or uses. Sure, a Busse and other custom knives are excellent knives, but they won't help you survive anymore than your skill-set or a $30 dollar Mora (or Cold Steel, etc.) field knife.

ROCK6
I almost agree but maybe not 100. I think the ceiling is higher for most fixed blades around 180 and closer to 200-250 for folders.

300 is a damn expensive knife and probably an inefficient use of funds.

The jump from a 30 to 100 will be an much bigger improvement than the jump from 100-180 and the jump from 180-300 smaller even still.

But I think an essee or a Becker or a tops is better than most cold steel knives and most moras.

I wouldn’t buy any 3-6 inch knife for much more than esee charges , unless it’s made of stainless. And I do like a super steel like maybe the tops BOB in cpm154. That maybe worth the 170 it costs ( with sheath ).

Also I’ll pay more to stay away from China , Taiwan etc. I will buy European knives ( lionsteel falkenkniven ) over Asian but I believe a US manufacturer is worth something.

And warrantee. I’m sure my esee knives will be around as long as I am and my son will be able to use them also. In fact should he OR HIS SON figure out how to break one , they will warrantee it no questions asked. That’s worth something.

And tradition. I carry a buck automatic ( not the 110 ) for my edc. My dad carried a buck 110. I hope buck still makes good enough knives so my boy can carry a buck when he’s teaching his son about knives.
Old 10-21-2019, 05:14 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuteandfuzzybunnies View Post
I almost agree but maybe not 100. I think the ceiling is higher for most fixed blades around 180 and closer to 200-250 for folders.

The jump from a 30 to 100 will be an much bigger improvement than the jump from 100-180 and the jump from 180-300 smaller even still.

But I think an essee or a Becker or a tops is better than most cold steel knives and most moras.
My point is that most novices won't know the difference in performance from a $30 knife to a $300 knife. Sure, they may look better and feel better, but it's the skill, handling, and experience that will make the difference, not the knife.

I do agree that ESEE and Becker are some of the standards for a general-purpose outdoors or survival-oriented fixed blade, for the price. Most ESEE fixed blades hover around $100 (several ESEE 4 blades available without a sheath for under $100). I think for most, once you get some serious dirt time with a blade and actually invest some time in using it and learning its capabilities, how to maintain and sharpen it and expand your knife-using skills, you will learn to appreciate the smaller differences of knives ranging from $150-250. I also agree that there is a price-point where the differences are so small when it comes to performance, that it's more hobby/collecting than utilitarian superiority.

For me, I know what I'm capable of and while some things are done a little different, I would be fine with a $30 Mora just as much as if I had one of my $300+custom knives; however, a stouter blade will be more robust for some uses. With that, I would likely choose something like an ESEE for general use as some blades are designed for harder use for those moments of operator error or field expedient improvisation of what you have on hand and not what you wished for. While I have abused some Mora knives, I overly abused a knife in a combat environment that is now worth more than $500 (semi-custom, no longer made) doing stuff knives should be doing and no Mora would have survived.

ROCK6
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2019, 05:30 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,223 Times in 534 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuteandfuzzybunnies View Post

My point is that most novices won't know the difference in performance from a $30 knife to a $300 knife. Sure, they may look better and feel better, but it's the skill, handling, and experience that will make the difference, not the knife.

I do agree that ESEE and Becker are some of the standards for a general-purpose outdoors or survival-oriented fixed blade, for the price. Most ESEE fixed blades hover around $100 (several ESEE 4 blades available without a sheath for under $100). I think for most, once you get some serious dirt time with a blade and actually invest some time in using it and learning its capabilities, how to maintain and sharpen it and expand your knife-using skills, you will learn to appreciate the smaller differences of knives ranging from $150-250. I also agree that there is a price-point where the differences are so small when it comes to performance, that it's more hobby/collecting than utilitarian superiority.

For me, I know what I'm capable of and while some things are done a little different, I would be fine with a $30 Mora just as much as if I had one of my $300+custom knives; however, a stouter blade will be more robust for some uses. With that, I would likely choose something like an ESEE for general use as some blades are designed for harder use for those moments of operator error or field expedient improvisation of what you have on hand and not what you wished for. While I have abused some Mora knives, I overly abused a knife in a combat environment that is now worth more than $500 (semi-custom, no longer made).

ROCK6
I’m a big esee fan too.

I just think maybe spending a little more to get a stainless that is usable ( not aus8 ) can be worth it especially if you are around the ocean.

But I can’t in good conscious recommend anybody spend more than the cost of a bench made or spyderco on those.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cuteandfuzzybunnies For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2019, 06:53 PM
Here Another Day!

Thanked 2,121 Times in 683 Posts

Quote:

ROCK6
What model/name is this? I tried searching the web.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:20 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,573 Times in 1,359 Posts

I think it's this one; https://www.bladehq.com/item--Mora-o...Outdoor--20146
The Following User Says Thank You to Eddie_T For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2019, 10:07 PM
Prepared

Ordered 2 of these today:

https://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Comp...s%2C189&sr=8-1

Couldn't pass on a couple of good $12 dollar Moraniv's...
The Following User Says Thank You to Gnepig For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2019, 08:30 PM
3 more years of this?

Thanked 4,987 Times in 1,617 Posts

No mention of the Buck 119?
The Following User Says Thank You to svxak47 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2019, 01:15 AM
Target Shooter

Best bang for the buck knife imo.
Old 10-28-2019, 04:03 AM

Buck uses 154 cm with a Bos heat treatment (included a cryo soak) very good steel tremendous value Their budget 420HC also Bos treated is near as good but less expensive, but if you have the money and your life may depend on it then CPM 3V is your go to steel it is nothing short of amazing. It is the definition of a tough steel!

https://www.crucible.com/eselector/p...ie/cpm3vt.html
The Following User Says Thank You to moray james For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2019, 07:54 PM
Happy to be here!

Thanked 14,936 Times in 3,555 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread Outstanding Firearms Post 
Total Awards: 2

I'm with Rock6. I've owned many knives. After spending a lot of time in the field, you get to know what works for you and what doesn't. I've actually gotten rid of all but two of my fixed blade field knives. I'm a user not a collector.

For my GP field fixed blade knives I prefer a 4-5 inch blade of 1095 steel. 1095 strikes the perfect balance between toughness, edge retention and the ability to sharpen the blade in the field. It also makes a spark with a hard rock, which is a nice trick to have in the tool bag. 1/8 inch thickness feels about right to me. Scandi or saber-grind with no finger choil or gap between the handle and blade gives me a lot of control for finer work. I don't like blade guards or jimping on the back of the blade either. I can't stand serrated blades for field use. I want a 90 degree spine on the back of the knife for making shavings or striking my ferrocerium rod. I like a handle that feels comfortable in my hand for long carving sessions. I don't really care if it's wood, plastic, micarta, whatever, so long as it's well made and durable. Same with the sheath.

So for GP bush-crafting my choice is the PKS Buffalo Skinner, but there's probably a dozen knives that have the same qualities.

My light weight GP fixed blade (primarily used for bush-crafting where a long hike in is involved) I use a Mora Companion HD. People that bad mouth the partial tang of a Mora haven't tried the HD model. Good luck breaking it.

I can accomplish my needs equally with both knives and have 100% confidence in them in the worst conditions. Crazy thing, one cost me $145 and the other like $18 delivered. The kydex sheath for my Mora actually cost me more than the knife LOL.

Anyhow, I always like to show up to bush-craft meets with the Mora. Those sort of gatherings tend to attract gear whores/snobs. Dudes are always bragging on their unused looking super steel wonder knives. I'm a little evil inside because when it comes time to make a bow drill set, carve a spoon, make a fire or whatever, I really relish in crushing that task with my $18 Mora while they struggle beside me with their expensive knives.

Rock6 is very correct in that it's the skill and grit that ensures survival much more than the equipment. To make a sports analogy, you can give Serena Williams a 1960s wooden tennis racket and she will still beat 98% of the worlds women in a game of tennis.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WILL For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2019, 05:43 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILL View Post
My light weight GP fixed blade (primarily used for bush-crafting where a long hike in is involved) I use a Mora Companion HD. People that bad mouth the partial tang of a Mora haven't tried the HD model. Good luck breaking it.

I can accomplish my needs equally with both knives and have 100% confidence in them in the worst conditions. Crazy thing, one cost me $145 and the other like $18 delivered. The kydex sheath for my Mora actually cost me more than the knife LOL.

Anyhow, I always like to show up to bush-craft meets with the Mora. Those sort of gatherings tend to attract gear whores/snobs. Dudes are always bragging on their unused looking super steel wonder knives. I'm a little evil inside because when it comes time to make a bow drill set, carve a spoon, make a fire or whatever, I really relish in crushing that task with my $18 Mora while they struggle beside me with their expensive knives.

Rock6 is very correct in that it's the skill and grit that ensures survival much more than the equipment. To make a sports analogy, you can give Serena Williams a 1960s wooden tennis racket and she will still beat 98% of the worlds women in a game of tennis.
Good analogy. A close friend of mine took his old, beat up Ted Williams 12 gauge pump to a skeet match. Several of the other officers had extremely high end (like 10K and above) O/U shotguns. Even with that old pump, he smoked'em on the range...literally embarrassed them. It had nothing to do with the quality and potential of the shotgun, it was all about the shooter.

Same with blades...for the most part. I wouldn't take a dedicated bushcraft knife to combat, but for cutting tasks, they're still a sharpened piece of steel and the user just has to maximize it's use based on the design and limitations.

I have two Rod Garcia's Skookum Bush Tool knives...based on Mors Kochanski's "optimum" design. They are truly pieces of functional art...and carry a similar price tag! However, I can do just about everything they can do with a $15 Mora.

I think most people allow their imagination of some crazy environment or extreme task will demand (or justify) an extreme (and often expensive)knife. I just don't buy it anymore and I've been in some pretty difficult environments. When it comes to actual use and blade-performance, I'll rely on my skill. If I decide to buy a high-end, super-steel, piece of sharpened art...I don't need to justify it for the superior performance, it's no different than much less expensive knives, other than materials, design, maker, and likely a nicer 'finish'.

Sure, we can split hairs on steel composition, corrosion resistance, blade hardening, finish, thickness, edge geometry, tang design, handle material, etc. At the end of the day, one should have a basic fixed blade knife that they are comfortable with, a good/secure sheath, the competence to use it, and the ability to properly sharpen it.

I would never look down on an inexpensive knife like the Mora (hell, I saw them carried and used in Afghanistan!), but I will likely be a little more judgmental on the skill of someone who whips out a pristine $500 custom knife

ROCK6
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post: